DIY USB OTG CONVERTER FOR i9100! IT WORKS!

Search This thread

redgreenlaser

May 23, 2011
The most Micro USB to USB converters are not work if you want to use it for OTG converter, because the 4. pin of the micro usb plug is not connected!
The most ebay and computer shop's converters like this!

If you want to use it for working OTG adapter you have to connect the micro usb connector 4. pin to GND (5. pin).
Like this:

I made this mod on my adapter and it works!

First you have to open up the outter cover and carve the plastic around the micro usb pins. You can use multimeter to check the pinout.

After that solder the 4. pin to 5. pin with a piece of wire.

And finally glue back the outter cover.

Video:

So if you have not working adapter you can mod it, if you have suffice experience with electronic and proper tools.

Only do with your own risk!

Last edited:

skibadee

Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Weird I got one off eBay from Hong Kong and it works without Modding. Can open files off a USB stick. Got it for £1 :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Vairn

May 27, 2011
It may have a resistor between pin 4 and 5, kind of like a jig,
I remember there was a fun with resistors thread for the sgs1.
I may attack tge free dock I,got from optus.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

kinjo2312

Aug 23, 2008
i bought this one from ebay

(cant post links )
item number 260782021641
and it works with usb drives and i used a mouse in it too

Jun 13, 2011
Paris
OTG Cable USB (B) to Micro USB (A) Powered with AAA batteries ?

As one knows, Samsung has promised a MHL Cable

You noticed it is not only a cable but a box out of which you may plug in an extra power supply.
The obvious reason is if the passive monitor does not furnish 5V, the phone will rapidly be out of power.
Now you know that to obtain video rather than anything less, Pin 4 (sense) and 5 (Ground) of micro USB (male A) must be connected with a 365K resistance.

I suppose the dock Samsung is selling for I9100 (yes, I have it) is grounded at 1000K as it provides audio with remote, and yes, the dock provides power supply via extra micro USB as well.

I come to my point: If I want to access any USB data On the Go, I need a cable OTG with 2 ports: USB 2.0/3.0 (female, B sided) to a micro USB (male, A sided, grounded but with no resistance = 0K). Many of them exist on the market out there.

But it is quite impossible to use because of lack of power supply in the passive device (let’s say a handy 1T HDD usually powered via Host connexion !

Would it be possible to insert some sort of receptacle for AAA battery in the middle of such a cable to provide for power while you are for a long time out of access to an electric plug ? Does such a cable exist somewhere to buy ? What would be the sheme to mount this ? HELP ! :confused:

anonymous572

Jun 15, 2011
Mstislavl
Is it possible to add USB charging cable to USB-host cable? I want to use mouse\keyboard\flash and charge device in the same time.
I also interested how to add power to USB-host cable for devices "High-power device connected".

Reactions: Flowyk

lui131256

Apr 21, 2008
OTG and Power

thats excactly my question:
is it possible to use otg cable with a trackball or mouse and at same time charge the S2?
give power to usb mouse and charge S2 over a charger!?

Last edited:

EdelHD

May 12, 2011
Is it possible to use a game controller over usb otg? Would be pretty nice.
Wanna have a S2Play ;-)

yayatr

Jul 8, 2011
i do have same problem..is there any suggestions to make sgs2 can read the high-power USB flashdisk via otg??

blueseeker

Jul 4, 2010
An USB hub with external power maybe ? I didn't tried this kind of setup, but it should work. I have a hub, but I don't have a OTG cable yet.

Reactions: alanthehat

yayatr

Jul 8, 2011
An USB hub with external power maybe ? I didn't tried this kind of setup, but it should work. I have a hub, but I don't have a OTG cable yet.

I've been try this, but still doesn't work for me..I'm also used electrical multi-tester, and the usb flash already has 5V voltage but in my sgs2 still nothing happen (my usb flashdisk doesn't mounted to sgs2)..
Is there any driver/apps do I need to install first before using OTG?? or, is there two kind of sgs2, the one which support OTG and the other one not??
please someone help me...One point I choose this SGS2 is the OTG feature..

PS: sorry for my english ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The most Micro USB to USB converters are not work if you want to use it for OTG converter, because the 4. pin of the micro usb plug is not connected!
    The most ebay and computer shop's converters like this!

If you want to use it for working OTG adapter you have to connect the micro usb connector 4. pin to GND (5. pin).
    Like this:

I made this mod on my adapter and it works!

First you have to open up the outter cover and carve the plastic around the micro usb pins. You can use multimeter to check the pinout.

After that solder the 4. pin to 5. pin with a piece of wire.

And finally glue back the outter cover.

Video:

So if you have not working adapter you can mod it, if you have suffice experience with electronic and proper tools.

Only do with your own risk!
    I buy a pair in Dealextreme.com

SKU 50774 o search OTG
    Can you please give me some advice on how connect this connector? B -> E?
    201110311109102.jpg

This might be late, but it might help someone else

if i am not wrong then the pins are like this:
    C: power (VBUS)
    D: USB 2.0 differential pair (D−)
    B: USB 2.0 differential pair (D+)
    E: USB OTG ID for identifying lines (The one not connected in your image)
    A: GND

so simply connect E with A and that should do it.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

----------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to add USB charging cable to USB-host cable? I want to use mouse\keyboard\flash and charge device in the same time.
    I also interested how to add power to USB-host cable for devices "High-power device connected".

thats excactly my question:
    is it possible to use otg cable with a trackball or mouse and at same time charge the S2?
    give power to usb mouse and charge S2 over a charger!?

it is not possible. usb host can be used one way not two ways.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yes it is possible, and it can be used both ways.
    Read the Battery Charging Specification http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

At the end of that document it says that you can make a docking station, where the charger will charge the phone and also provide power to the attached peripherals like keyboard, mouse and display.