Question about Mugen Battery 1500mah

Search This thread

Ratix0

Jan 9, 2011
I'm very curous about this battery for Desire HD. From my experience, 3rd party batteries are generally frowned upon because they usually either

1) Does not contain the advertised charge (mah) amount
2) Does contain the advertised amount of charge but the battery spoils fast, and would be unable to hold charge properly after a few months of usage
3) Heat issues, etc, safety issues in general

It seems like many people in this forum have already got the battery and would like to know whats it like so far. my current original DHD battery has already semi gave way after a year+ of usage, it no longer hold the charge proper and I can only charge up till 60+% before it jumps straight to 100%, as well as battery level jumps erratically.

I went to check, seems like the mugen 1500mah battery http://www.mugen-power-batteries.co...ery-for-for-htc-desire-hd-softbank-001ht.html cost around $45 US which translates to roughly $56SGD whereas locally the original DHD battery costs $59SGD. Adding a couple of bucks for shipping and all, it definitely works out to be a better battery to purchase if it actually works well (e.g. refer to above criterias).

So I would like to know whether the battery suffer from the problem of holding charge and also any heat/security issues. Considering I've read that many people claim that they get a lot more battery life out of it in their initial usage.

Dlog

Dec 30, 2011
If you can live with a modified battery cover then this is superior to the mugen battery and cheaper too:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1344761

Big advantage here is you can use an original sensation/evo3d battery from HTC and don't have to have rely on 3rd party batteries.
On the other hand you can get as much as 1900mAh instead of the 1500mAh mugen offers.

Ratix0

Jan 9, 2011
you can find plenty of user comments in these threads:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=818794

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=997060

Between the 2 threads, there are about 700 comments

As a matter of fact I have skimmed through that threads and I don't find anyone talking about how the battery life performs after months to a year of usage. This is a common concern because many 3rd party batteries lose their ability to hold charge very quickly after a short period of time. Of course it can be argued that no one complained about it in the thread but thats not substantial enough. The uesr reviews thats stated in those thread that you have linked are mostly by new users who were "wow"ed by the battery and then stop coming over to the thread altogether.

Last edited:

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
As a matter of fact I have skimmed through that threads and I don't find anyone talking about how the battery life performs after months to a year of usage. This is a common concern because many 3rd party batteries lose their ability to hold charge very quickly after a short period of time. Of course it can be argued that no one complained about it in the thread but thats not substantial enough. The uesr reviews thats stated in those thread that you have linked are mostly by new users who were "wow"ed by the battery and then stop coming over to the thread altogether.

I have been using the Mugen battery for about a month now, following their instructions on how to handle the battery during the initial charges.

First, you say "3rd party batteries lose their charge.... after months to a year". Well, my original HTC battery after one year, is - I estimate - about 50% of the new Mugen.

OK, a new battery will outperform an old one, but it's not just 3rd party batteries.

When I changed batteries, the OEM one had actually expanded slightly and it did not slide out of its compartment easily. So the OEM is not a perfect guarantee of a lifetime of high power and good behaviour :)

And, I spent the extra € on Mugen and not the 2000mAh cons from eBay - Mugen has built a reputation over time, it is built to a similar (or higher?) standard as the OEM's.

btw look for a coupon that is valid for 10 or 20% I recall off the standard Mugen price.

cxsign

Feb 27, 2012
test1800mAh

Many businesses will pretend to be the large capacity, we choose the best choice in the factory, so the quality guaranteed some. I bought a nominal capacity is 2300 mAh, I test the actual can reach 1800 mAh.

Ratix0

Jan 9, 2011
I used a battery testing widget when I first got the mugen battery about 2 months back...

It was around 1300mAh with maximum 15% deviation, stayed around that value for the charge cycles done during that period, for about a couple of weeks.

I'd say its definitely pretty close. My HTC battery was at 800mAh with maximum of 20% deviation by the end of 1 year.

(Deviation comes from the limitation of calculating the mAh if I'm not wrong. Because it takes value of the actual consumption / charging once every minute or so, it kind of either interpolates between values, or just assume the whole 1 minute being the recorded value. Hence the possible variation.)

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
Also I'm not here to battle myself with others about stats.

There's a lot of people that are satisfied with Mugen, even here on the board.

http://xdaforums.com/search.php?searchid=12986796

I personally don't care if you don't believe that.

Of course you don't, but no, ignorance is not a replacement for knowledge.

Actual testing (250 mA drain until shutoff voltage) shows Mugen to be wrong. Where is proof that you're right?

For the OP: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Univ...able-Packaging/dp/B00486MH80/ref=pd_sim_cps_6

That should give one full charge of the Desire HD from 0% to 100%. It's about the size of the phone, but thinner.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-SlimTal..._1_6?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1334818005&sr=1-6

This should give around two to 1.75 full charges.

I would highly suggest going with genuine OEM batteries to get the maximum you can get. Always ask yourself: If it was so easy to get more battery capacity into the phone, why didn't HTC do it?

Last edited:

Zeitraffer

Jan 19, 2012
Batteryboss.org is my proof

No it's not, because batteryboss.org did not test the Mugen 1500 mAh battery for the HTC Desire HD this thread is about. If they did, please provide a link.
batteryboss.org said:
Tests of batteries being sold for HTC's Nexus One, Incredible, EVO 4G, Hero, Desire and Touch Pro2/Tilt 2.

Where is proof that you're right?

I have posted a screenshot of BatteryMonitorWidgetPro below, showing 1526 mAh of in-use value as complete capacity after 100% complete / 0% discharge cycles.

Also showing 1214 mAh with +- 41% deviation while on daily use, with no complete charge/discharge cycles that I made in the beginning, after I had received the battery on March 13th 2012.
So this is not the complete capacity; the upper value is.

Actual testing (250 mA drain until shutoff voltage) shows Mugen to be wrong.

Where? Please provide a link to the test of the Mugen 1500 mAh for HTC Desire HD.

Of course I might be wrong, for I am no technician, but the one test app that I used showed me these values. I haven't read anything about Mugen selling batteries with fake values, so I'd really like to know more about it, if there is :)

Attachments

• 20120419191647.jpg
    20120419191647.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
No it's not, because batteryboss.org did not test the Mugen 1500 mAh battery for the HTC Desire HD this thread is about. If they did, please provide a link.
They tested a Mugen battery, which consistently shows that they overrate batteries. By default, the rating of the battery is in serious doubt.

I have posted a screenshot of BatteryMonitorWidgetPro below, showing 1526 mAh of in-use value as complete capacity after 100% complete / 0% discharge cycles.

Also showing 1214 mAh with +- 41% deviation while on daily use, with no complete charge/discharge cycles that I made in the beginning, after I had received the battery on March 13th 2012.
So this is not the complete capacity; the upper value is.
Your own phone is telling you that you're getting exactly OEM capacity, maybe less. Battery Monitor Widget extrapolates what it thinks your mAh rating of the battery is based upon the voltage and the mA consumed to get to that voltage. So far it looks like your battery is either OEM capacity or slightly less. The top 1526 mAh number is what the battery claims to have, not what it really has.

Where? Please provide a link to the test of the Mugen 1500 mAh for HTC Desire HD.

Of course I might be wrong, for I am no technician, but the one test app that I used showed me these values. I haven't read anything about Mugen selling batteries with fake values, so I'd really like to know more about it, if there is :)
1. Your test app is proving you wrong.
2. Phone based test applications are a horrible idea, proper testing should be done with the battery charged outside the phone to 4.2v then discharged to 3.4v at constant mA drain. Multiply the time that it took to drain by the mA drain used to get your accurate capacity.

Zeitraffer

Jan 19, 2012
They tested a Mugen battery, which consistently shows that they overrate batteries. By default, the rating of the battery is in serious doubt.
1 battery doesn't prove anything.

Battery Monitor Widget extrapolates what it thinks your mAh rating of the battery is
No, it uses historical data (logs) to measure the battery. It doesn't think, it measures.
Please provide a link or anything else for such statements.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw.pro&hl=de said:
Measures real battery capacity using historical data

So far it looks like your battery is either OEM capacity or slightly less.
No. This is how the app works: This value (1214 mAh) was measured by not draining the battery completely anymore. If I don't drain the pack to 0%, the app cannot measure all the capacity. Simple logic.

The top 1526 mAh number is what the battery claims to have, not what it really has.
No, the battery was measured all the way from 100% to 0%, and that's what came out after several complete cycles. The log is accessible inside the program.
How should it claim another value?

Your test app is proving you wrong.
Please prove that statement.
HTC Desire HD is a supported device
http://www.3c71.com/android/?q=node/102

2. Phone based test applications are a horrible idea, proper testing should be done with the battery charged outside the phone to 4.2v then discharged to 3.4v at constant mA drain. Multiply the time that it took to drain by the mA drain used to get your accurate capacity.
That is just your opinion.

Last edited: