Bricked?

Search This thread

jideay

May 19, 2011
Well, without thinking I took the OTA. Then I realized I had root. Now I get the Android character with an exclamation point. I can't seem to get into recovery. At this point, I don't care if I'm rooted or not. I just want my tablet back. Suggestions?

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Well, without thinking I took the OTA. Then I realized I had root. Now I get the Android character with an exclamation point. I can't seem to get into recovery. At this point, I don't care if I'm rooted or not. I just want my tablet back. Suggestions?

Did you have a custom recovery? Or were you completely stock except for root? It should have updated fine if all you have was root with no other modifications.

jideay

May 19, 2011
OK now I have a different menu.
reboot system now
apply update from adb
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

jideay

May 19, 2011
Thank you for your help. I hit reboot and it came back on and I still have root.

jideay

May 19, 2011
It was so long ago I don't remember... I realized I have several apps frozen. Should I unfreeze them and try again?

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
It was so long ago I don't remember... I realized I have several apps frozen. Should I unfreeze them and try again?

That shouldn't be it. What error does it give you when you try to update? It will say what is keeping it from updating. If you have deleted/uninstalled and system apps (not just disabled), the update will fail. It's hard to diagnose without more info.

jideay

May 19, 2011
There was no error that I saw. I just tried looking for the 4.4.3 update and it won't come back. I guess I'll need to wait... Thanks again for your help.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
There was no error that I saw. I just tried looking for the 4.4.3 update and it won't come back. I guess I'll need to wait... Thanks again for your help.

Since 4.4.4 is already out, why don't you just fastboot flash everything EXCEPT USERDATA from the 4.4.4 factory image. As long as you don't flash userdata, your data will remain intact.

EDIT: Oh. For future reference, the OTAs are downloaded to /cache on your device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK I am trying to use the Nexus Root Toolkit and that's what it's telling me. I'll try it the other way when I get home.

I strongly advise AGAINST using a toolkit. Especially since (no offense) you don't seem to know the basics of what you are trying to do. I recommend following this guide: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701. It's for the Nexus 5, but the procedure for the Nexus 10 (as well as the Nexus 7 (2013)) is identical. Just make sure you have the correct 4.4.4 factory image for our device (manta). Since you have already used the toolkit in the past, you probably already have the drivers. Just flash each image file individually by following Method 2 in the OP from that thread. If you don't want to lose your data, DO NOT FLASH USERDATA.IMG.