Google Contacts sync

Search This thread

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
Hi all,

any of you ever tried to sync only one (or more) specific contacts group?
I remember of such a function in Android 1.6, and it would be great to have it back on 2.1 too (maybe it's there and it's just me who cannot find it).
I don't like to have ALL the Google contacts sync'ed.

Thnx

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
Thanks Cleargrey,

would you tell me if you ever tried to sync Outlook with the phone did you manage to do so? It seems my HTC sync won't sync, telling me no errors but no contacts sync'ed as well :(

I also tried to sync Outlook with Goole, and found a good prog to do so (Go contacts sync) since I don't want ot go over with CSV import/export, but it states it syncs pictures too, and it doesn't... :(

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
Cleargrey, just a little info to better understand the following HTC answer:

A1. It is not possible to sync just 'My Contacts', it would always be 'Google Contacts, or 'All Contacts'.

what do they mean with "Google Contacts or All Contacts"? Is it just basically a different way of referring to the same "All Contacts" group?
I'm asking because I just checked on Google Accounts and I didn't see anything like "Google Contacts"

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
There does seem to be some confusion over the various contact lists/groups on the phone and on Google Contacts.

BTW, Google Contacts can be accessed through your Gmail account (left side menu -> Contacts) or directly at www.google.com/contacts.

Basically:

All [phone] = My Contacts [Google Contacts]
Favorites [phone] = Starred in Android [Google Contacts]
Co-workers [phone] = Collegues [Google Contacts]
Family, Friends [phone] = Family, Friends [Google Contacts] resp.
user created groups [phone] = user created groups [Google Contacts], and vice versa.

All Contacts [Google Contacts] is never sync'ed on the phone.

All the above get sync'ed together, you can't cherry pick.

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
Sorry to correct you JT, but if I access Google Contacts on my desktop I find "All Contact" contains 643 contacts.
Now, doing the same on my phone (Contacts -> Menu btn -> view) I see "Google (643)".
Hence my phone sync'ed All Contacts.
It would be great if it would have sync'ed "My contacts" only, cuz even if it's not a subgroup, it only contains contacts I want to carry on the phone

mcgon1979

Apr 9, 2010
Two very quick questions I'd love some help with.

1. Whats the quickest way to type a new sms message? When I open the messages icon and choose "new message" it lists ALL of my contacts. Anyone I EVER emailed in my life. 1000s. I justwant to see my 100 or so SIM contacts as I want to write an SMS message. any way around this?

2. I clicked on new message (in the messages icon) and typed in an email address. The phone then sent the email as an attached MMS message via my phone service provider? I assumed it would use my gmail details to send it? Am I set up wrong?

Thanks, Got the desire yesterday. First time on android. bit lost really. not as intuitive as expected, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
fastest way to send sms to a specific contact is to go to "Contacts", look for the person you wantto send the sms to, and then click not on the name but on the picture (or on the pic placeholder): some icons will show up so that you cna choose what you want to do. Click on message and you're good to go.

your problem is the same to me: I DO NOT want all my google contacts on my phone cuz everytime I have to do something with contcts (apart from phone, where I checked "show only contacts with tel number") it will fill my eyes with unwanted persons

JTHM

Aug 10, 2005
Northants
Sorry to correct you JT, but if I access Google Contacts on my desktop I find "All Contact" contains 643 contacts.
Now, doing the same on my phone (Contacts -> Menu btn -> view) I see "Google (643)".
Hence my phone sync'ed All Contacts.
It would be great if it would have sync'ed "My contacts" only, cuz even if it's not a subgroup, it only contains contacts I want to carry on the phone

Hmm, glad mine doesn't do that! :p Anyhow, go to your "All" contacts list on your phone, then MENU button -> View, un-check "Show auto Gmail contacts".

Seems I may have been wrong, Google Contacts' All Contacts do indeed seem to get sync'd in their entirety but this check box allows you to mask what you don't want to see.

JapanLover

Mar 11, 2008
checked that, and will test functionalities for some days, but going to "search contacts" still shows up all Google contacts.
This is something really pissing me off.
For real: I can't understand why 1.6 had the opportunity to select the groups and 2.1 does not!!!

Raul Duke

Mar 28, 2010
The Contacts/People feature seems a bit confusing to me.

The best way I've found of managing contacts is to create a group called 'Phonebook' and just use the People widget to display that group on one of my home-screens.

I can then add or remove anyone I like in there and it's easy to pick someone to call/text. The widget looks pretty cool too with everyone's facebook pics.

Seems much easier than viewing all People and scrolling through loads of Facebook contacts I don't need or Google contacts with only an e-mail address.

I can manage it all online under my Google account as well so setting it up only took a couple of minutes.

Last edited: