Forecast Widget Skins (create background skins !!)

Search This thread

koxx

May 7, 2006
Paris
Hello,

To explain & share skins for 'Forecast widget', I'll agregate everything here.

First, you need the widget, available on :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=511351
or on the market.

I'd like to keep widget free, so, if you want to make donation for my work, no problem you can ! Best way : by paypal here at
mail.jpg

Thanks to all donators !!!

Please, if you have a problem with the widget, post it on the original thread, not here.

How to install and select a skin?

You should have donate version to ba abe to use skins. If you have this version, you have 'save & skin' button in configuration panel.
Press and hold a skin, install it, and select it. That's all.

How to create my own a skin ?

You have to create PNG files of 128x128 pixels (or 64x64 but it will be ugly when zoomed) in a new yyy folder (in /sdcard/.org.koxx.forecast_weather/skins/).

Filenames should respect this :
chance_of_rain.png
chance_of_snow.png
chance_of_storm.png
cloudy.png
dust.png
fog.png
haze.png
icy.png
mist.png
mostly_cloudy.png
mostly_sunny.png
partly_cloudy.png
rain.png
sleet.png
smoke.png
snow.png
storm.png
sunny.png
thunderstorm.png

How to change background ?

exactly as skins ;)

How to create night icons ?

you can create night icons !

just add icons with "_night.png" as extension.

example : sunny_night.png / storm_night.png

you can do it on few icons only or all icons. when night time is arrived, night icon is selected if available. If it is not available, day icon is used.

How to create background skin ?

you have to create a 9 patch png file of 25x25
such as this one :
dark_grey_outilned.png

- image corners are applied as it is.
- center lines in x and y are copied to expand image to fill different widgets background.
- pixel at position x12,y12 (x0,y0 is first pixel) is used for color pading at center of expanded image.

IMPORTANT : this is not a true 9patch image. You should not keep 1 pixel border line of 9patch PNG file, just the image center.

for more informations about 9patch images : http://developer.android.com/intl/fr/guide/developing/tools/draw9patch.html

Please, if you create a new skin: post it here with a screenshot and give icons source !

If you are agree, I'll integrate your skin to next software version skin list & downloader.

Last edited:

brabinder

May 7, 2009
My contribution. Icons are from Tenius Icon pack.

Brabinder

Attachments

• Skin_widget_tenius.zip
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,191

koxx

May 7, 2006
Paris
IMPORTANT :
application name changed to "Forecast weather widget"

reason : package name changed from "org.jsharkey.sky" to "org.koxx.forecast_weather".

skin folder on sdcard should be renamed to respect that !

Last edited:

BSDADON

Mar 23, 2009
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.......again:eek:. When I try to use the Lavana skin it causes the app to force close. Hope it is just me so it isn't an issue but just thought I would let you know.

koxx

May 7, 2006
Paris
It would have been cool to be able to use animated images.

not a bad idea, I had it...

but is may be too much...

and 2 questions :
- when should I launch animation ? (not all the time, or battery will die in 2h)
- how to create a skin ? (not very easy to find beautiful icons ... beautiful animations, it should be harder...)

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008

and 2 questions :
- when should I launch animation ? (not all the time, or battery will die in 2h)
- how to create a skin ? (not very easy to find beautiful icons ... beautiful animations, it should be harder...)
It would definitely drain the battery. Maybe a short animation on tap (when you open the forecast window), or when you request a manual update.

flixxx

Nov 2, 2007

and 2 questions :

I like the animation idea. I think it should be animated everytime you bring the phone out of sleep mode.

I feel you will get a better effect and appreciate it more rather then having to click it to get an animation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a collection I use that consists of icons I found from sets entered in a weather icon contest many months ago.

icons created by: WeatherPod, 7even and 7°

I'm showing my sunny, snow and rain to give a glimpse. zip file has day time set. If there is any interest, I'll add nighttime icons.

excellent !
    uploaded to server !
    thank you.

If you can upgrade it with night icons, It would be marvelous :p
    My provider server is now repaired... :/
    I'll move all skins to a new provider (more secure), and publish an update to let the app point on this new server.