[TUTORIAL] Restore Glance on Windows 10 Redstone for Unsupported Devices

Search This thread

AWasisto

Nov 2, 2016
Jakarta
www.wasisto.com
Hello all,

I just wanna share a tutorial on how to restore glance screen on Windows 10 Redstone for older devices. I made this tutorial because there are so many people asking how to restore glance functionality after they update their device to Redstone. There are some guides on it but they are really hard to find. There is even an option to enable old glance screen on Gustav's Interop Tools but lot of people don't know how to use it

This tutorial is based on what I always did to restore the glance screen on my Lumia 920. Make sure that your device had glance screen feature when it was on Windows Phone. Otherwise, this trick wouldn't work. Follow this tutorial on your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage caused to your device.

Part 1: Install Interop Tools & Glance Screen APPX
  1. On your PC, Download the latest version of Interop Tools from https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mobile/windows-10-mobile-apps-and-games/app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271 and the attached glancescreen_appx.zip. Put all the APPXs (including dependencies) on your phone storage (e.g. Download folder)
  2. On your phone. go to Settings > Update & security > For developers
  3. Turn on Developer mode, Device Discovery and Device Portal
  4. Open Microsoft Edge, and go to http://127.0.0.1/ to open Device Portal (it is possible to do this using your PC via WiFi but it'll be slower since the APPXs need to be transfered via WiFi)
  5. If there is a certificate error, ignore it and click Continue to this webpage
  6. You might be asked to authenticate. Go to the previous developer settings and click Pair button
  7. On the Device Portal, Click Apps on the left sidebar
  8. Install all Interop Tools dependencies ONE BY ONE. After that, install the main Interop Tools APPX
  9. Install glancescreen.appx
  10. Turn off Device Discovery and Device Portal on the developer settings

Part 2: Restore Missing Glance Files & Registry
  1. Open Interop Tools > This Device. Open sidebar, choose Interop Unlock
  2. Check Restore NDTKSvc and restart your device (on some occasions, the other option can't be turned on until you restart your device)
  3. Open Interop Tools > This Device > Interop Unlock. Check Full Filesystem Access and restart your device once more (some folders can't be seen until you restart the device)
  4. Connect your device to your PC via USB
  5. On your PC, download the attached missing_glance_files.zip and put them on [Your Phone]\Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\ using Windows Explorer
  6. Open Interop Tools and turn off Full Filesystem Access
  7. Open sidebar, choose Tweaks
  8. Scroll down and turn on Enable Old Glance Screen (RS1)

Part 3: Fix Glance Font (Non-WXGA devices only)
  1. Open Settings > System > About. Click More info button and check your device Screen resolution
  2. If it's 768x1280 (WXGA), jump to part 4. Otherwise, open Interop Tools > This Device. Open sidebar, choose Registry Browser
  3. Navigate to HKLM\Software\OEM\Nokia\lpm\FontFile
  4. If your device screen resolution is 480x800 (WVGA), replace lpmFont_WXGA.bin with lpmFont_WVGA.bin. For other resolutions, you might wanna check out the other fonts inside lpmFonts_4.1.12.4 folder in the attached missing_glance_files.zip

Part 4: Update Glance Screen
  1. Open Store. Open sidebar, choose Downloads and updates
  2. Click Check for updates and update Glance Screen
  3. Restart your device

Miscellaneous

I hope this tutorial helps. Goodluck! :)

Attachments

• glancescreen_appx.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 5,072
  • missing_glance_files.zip
    260.7 KB · Views: 4,436
Last edited:

AWasisto

Nov 2, 2016
Jakarta
www.wasisto.com
hi
thank you.
can you help me for change glance font size for this method?

Is it too small? If so, follow the steps below...

How to Increase Glance Font to Fit Device Screen Like on Windows Phone

The glance font on Windows Phone is bigger than on Windows 10 Mobile so that the text fits the device screen. I actually prefer the smaller font size because that's how the glance screen displayed on the new devices and it looks more elegant. But if you still want to increase the font size, here's the steps...
  1. Open Interop Tools > This Device. Open sidebar, choose Registry Browser
  2. Navigate to HKLM\Software\OEM\Nokia\lpm\FontFile
  3. Replace \Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\lpmFonts_4.1.12.4\ with \Windows\system32\
  4. Write the change

Last edited:
Reactions: Arshen

Arshen

Oct 31, 2012
Rasht
arshen.ir

How to Increase Glance Screen Font

The glance font on Windows Phone 8.1 is bigger than on Windows 10 Mobile. I actually prefer the smaller font size because that's how the glance screen displayed on Lumia 950 and it looks more elegant. But if you want to increase the font size, here's the steps
  3. Change the value to \Windows\system32\lpmFont_WXGA.bin
  4. Write the change
To restore the default W10M glance font, change the value to \Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\lpmFonts_4.1.12.4\lpmFont_wxga.bin

i want to make glance screen font small!
how can i do this?

AWasisto

Nov 2, 2016
Jakarta
www.wasisto.com

Whoa I've just realized the font needs to be changed for WVGA devices. Thanks! Tutorial updated

will it really work on unsupported devices which does not support glance , because MS said its a Hardware feature ?

If glance screen was available on the device while it's on Windows Phone, then it would work. Otherwise, nope, I don't think so

Last edited:

jaspi72

Sep 15, 2011
On my 1020 worked yeah but after while screen goes crazy and nightmode when time change place to up its fuked. 15014 not worked even soft reset or what ever. 15007 worked while after glance installed.
So last 2 fast updates (15007 and 15014) glance not working anymore what ever you do. Not trying to install anymore glance and phone works ok and im happy.

AWasisto

Nov 2, 2016
Jakarta
www.wasisto.com
On my 1020 worked yeah but after while screen goes crazy and nightmode when time change place to up its fuked. 15014 not worked even soft reset or what ever. 15007 worked while after glance installed.
So last 2 fast updates (15007 and 15014) glance not working anymore what ever you do. Not trying to install anymore glance and phone works ok and im happy.

Does it flicker vertically? I have two Lumia 920, both of them use the same firmware and build. But one of them flickers like hell when showing glance screen and the flicker won't stop until I reboot the device. I read somewhere it's a software problem, someone said that the double tap to unlock option needs to be be turned off (i haven't tried that btw). But I think it has something to do with the hardware since the other 920 worked flawlessly without turning off the double tap to unlock option. Still have no idea why some devices does that...

Btw warning updated, I only tested this on RS1

Last edited:

jaspi72

Sep 15, 2011
No nothing vertically just crazy blurred mesh screen and cant do anything. Shutting phone like pushed shutdown putton when screen is blurred and do like normally (fingered down) phone shut down and camera sounds do work but screen is total mesh. Hard reset worked and when booted i didnt even try to put glance stuff on and now work. Nothing to do about doubletab i tested just glance stuff. Ok latest fast build is jamming making calls, not showing maked calls and sendet messages so hell please dont even try it.. Going back to last worked backup (slow build) and wait some ;)

Last edited:

SSWJ

Jan 23, 2017
Q- put the whole zip(missing glance file.zip) in oem\public or ,put the files ,

I put file nd not working on L540,help please:eek:

ettoumia

Sep 23, 2012
i use interop tool to restore glance screen in lumia 920 w10 using this.
it fonction; but when i connect my phone to pc it always open Filesystem Access
i desactivate Full Filesystem Access in Interop Tools > This Device > Interop Unlock and restart my device but still have the same issu
please any help thanks

AWasisto

Nov 2, 2016
Jakarta
www.wasisto.com
i desactivate Full Filesystem Access in Interop Tools > This Device > Interop Unlock and restart my device but still have the same issu
please any help thanks

Finally! I thought I'm the only one having trouble deactivating full filesystem access

How to Fix MTP Root Path to Deactivate Full Filesystem Access

If you can't deactivate full filesystem access by just unchecking its checkbox on Interop Tools, I found a way to fix it
  2. Check Full Filesystem Access
  3. Enter C:\Data\Users\Public on MTP Root Path
  4. Click the write button next to MTP Root Path
  5. Uncheck Full Filesystem Access
  6. Restart your device

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I just wanna share a tutorial on how to restore glance screen on Windows 10 Redstone for older devices. I made this tutorial because there are so many people asking how to restore glance functionality after they update their device to Redstone. There are some guides on it but they are really hard to find. There is even an option to enable old glance screen on Gustav's Interop Tools but lot of people don't know how to use it

This tutorial is based on what I always did to restore the glance screen on my Lumia 920. Make sure that your device had glance screen feature when it was on Windows Phone. Otherwise, this trick wouldn't work. Follow this tutorial on your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage caused to your device.

Part 1: Install Interop Tools & Glance Screen APPX
    1. On your PC, Download the latest version of Interop Tools from https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mobile/windows-10-mobile-apps-and-games/app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271 and the attached glancescreen_appx.zip. Put all the APPXs (including dependencies) on your phone storage (e.g. Download folder)
    2. On your phone. go to Settings > Update & security > For developers
    3. Turn on Developer mode, Device Discovery and Device Portal
    4. Open Microsoft Edge, and go to http://127.0.0.1/ to open Device Portal (it is possible to do this using your PC via WiFi but it'll be slower since the APPXs need to be transfered via WiFi)
    5. If there is a certificate error, ignore it and click Continue to this webpage
    6. You might be asked to authenticate. Go to the previous developer settings and click Pair button
    7. On the Device Portal, Click Apps on the left sidebar
    8. Install all Interop Tools dependencies ONE BY ONE. After that, install the main Interop Tools APPX
    9. Install glancescreen.appx
    10. Turn off Device Discovery and Device Portal on the developer settings

Part 2: Restore Missing Glance Files & Registry
    2. Check Restore NDTKSvc and restart your device (on some occasions, the other option can't be turned on until you restart your device)
    3. Open Interop Tools > This Device > Interop Unlock. Check Full Filesystem Access and restart your device once more (some folders can't be seen until you restart the device)
    4. Connect your device to your PC via USB
    5. On your PC, download the attached missing_glance_files.zip and put them on [Your Phone]\Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\ using Windows Explorer
    6. Open Interop Tools and turn off Full Filesystem Access
    7. Open sidebar, choose Tweaks
    8. Scroll down and turn on Enable Old Glance Screen (RS1)

Part 3: Fix Glance Font (Non-WXGA devices only)
    1. Open Settings > System > About. Click More info button and check your device Screen resolution
    2. If it's 768x1280 (WXGA), jump to part 4. Otherwise, open Interop Tools > This Device. Open sidebar, choose Registry Browser
    3. Navigate to HKLM\Software\OEM\Nokia\lpm\FontFile
    4. If your device screen resolution is 480x800 (WVGA), replace lpmFont_WXGA.bin with lpmFont_WVGA.bin. For other resolutions, you might wanna check out the other fonts inside lpmFonts_4.1.12.4 folder in the attached missing_glance_files.zip

Part 4: Update Glance Screen
    1. Open Store. Open sidebar, choose Downloads and updates
    2. Click Check for updates and update Glance Screen
    3. Restart your device

Miscellaneous

I hope this tutorial helps. Goodluck! :)
    please any help thanks

Finally! I thought I'm the only one having trouble deactivating full filesystem access

How to Fix MTP Root Path to Deactivate Full Filesystem Access

If you can't deactivate full filesystem access by just unchecking its checkbox on Interop Tools, I found a way to fix it
    2. Check Full Filesystem Access
    3. Enter C:\Data\Users\Public on MTP Root Path
    4. Click the write button next to MTP Root Path
    5. Uncheck Full Filesystem Access
    6. Restart your device
    here registry files for import with Interop Tools, used to fix Glance on Lumia 925 with insider Creators Update 15063.138 (but works with any other builds)...
    instruction from first page not worked and made registry files to fix that (btw. thx to djtonka for registry values)

+ files used to copy to phone: \Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\ (inside "Data_SharedData_OEM_Public.zip" file)
    + registry files inside "REGISTRY glance.zip"
    + old Interop Tools RC3 or new Interop Tools L version

how to use:
    - fix works only for Lumia x20 devices witch support glance by default. if device not support glance you dont need this.
    - do interop unlock first, if not work, first use "Restore NDTKSvc", restart phone and do interop unlock
    - with Interop Tools to enable "Full Filesystem Access",
    - via USB connection from PC to phone copy glance folders/files to "Data\SharedData\OEM\Public" ,
    - import registry files (also with Interop Tools)...
    - (optional) to disable Full Filesystem Access, in Interop Tools under Interop unlock - Full Filesystem Access write C:/Data/Users/Public
    - restart phone
    Thanks, great guide! it works on my 925 and i'm happy, after more and more researches of that :D

one question: after glance return, still is possible to have the weather like this:
    glance.jpg

?

no because new UWP weather app not support this...

only way is to use weather on locked screen and use locked screen as glance
    hi
    thank you.
    can you help me for change glance font size for this method?

How to Increase Glance Font to Fit Device Screen Like on Windows Phone

The glance font on Windows Phone is bigger than on Windows 10 Mobile so that the text fits the device screen. I actually prefer the smaller font size because that's how the glance screen displayed on the new devices and it looks more elegant. But if you still want to increase the font size, here's the steps...
    3. Replace \Data\SharedData\OEM\Public\lpmFonts_4.1.12.4\ with \Windows\system32\
    4. Write the change