[INDEX] Google Chromecast [06 Feb 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

allindaze

Nov 24, 2012
Sorry but you could try and sell the one you have and buy a NIB CCast to rot before it updates this time...
Or find a friend who wants one but doesn't want root and then Swap before he plugs it in and updates.
Thanks. Do you think the refurbished ones would be good for me? Or is it better to go to a B&M that doesn't get s lot of traffic and take my chances grabbing one off the shelf?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Thanks. Do you think the refurbished ones would be good for me? Or is it better to go to a B&M that doesn't get s lot of traffic and take my chances grabbing one off the shelf?

I doubt very Highly that any NIB model has an unrootable OS right now....
A refurb might but not a New In Box.
But don't wait too long because no one knows ow much older stock is left on store shelves before they start restocking with new models for X-Mas.

Mad07

Sep 30, 2009
Only for information:
I've buy 2 CC with SN started with 410xxx and 411xxx. On both there was the stock FW 1550xy (didn't remember exact the last digits) but I must use the hex-file plusplus.16664.hex. From what I've read, the hex should be used , if the stock FW is equal 16664 or higher.

Both device are rooted ;)

jocarog

Mar 14, 2012
Just got a refurbished cc thru Groupon and had 098 firmware, I was able to root it finally last night... I don't remember the S/N but that doesn't at this point, it is Rooted!

Nebtastic

Jan 13, 2011
Austin
Yep

I doubt very Highly that any NIB model has an unrootable OS right now....
A refurb might but not a New In Box.
But don't wait too long because no one knows ow much older stock is left on store shelves before they start restocking with new models for X-Mas.

Yep, you can walk into a store and buy one rootable in the box. I picked up one from Best Buy off the shelf today, and have a rooted one now.
I looked for 3C as the first two characters of the serial number.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Yep, you can walk into a store and buy one rootable in the box. I picked up one from Best Buy off the shelf today, and have a rooted one now.
I looked for 3C as the first two characters of the serial number.

Yep but I expect that will change at some point...
Serial number is no longer an issue...doesn't matter just as long as it does not come with an OS version 19xxx or higher.

Apt315

Dec 11, 2014
Root Success

Greetings from Spain.

Just recently bought 2 chromecasts from local major electrical store in Spain both serial numbers starting 4127. Not sure of the stock levels but grabbed 2 as I am sure new stock will be arriving soon. Still about 8 left in store with this serial number.

Disconnected internet access to router by unplugging phone cable at the rear. Plugged CC in TV and used the android CC app to configure initial set up via wifi. Checked firmware on CC's and both showed firmware versions 15908.

Disconnected CC, used the Teensy ++2 board with the plusplus_ 16664.hex. Flashed CC using Hubcap.

Success :) Both perfect no issues whatsoever rooting went like a dream.

First CC- Just before starting the flash I reconnected the internet on the router to view the web page for the tutorial but luckily the flash process had started before my internet had connected otherwise the CC could have detected it and started the OTA firmware update ........ Phew ! didn't think about that at the time. CC not plugged into TV at time of root. Once finished connecting CC to TV and accessing web browser it already showed the firmware version 22062

Second CC - Made sure that the internet was disconnected throughout the process. On connecting the CC to the TV and accessing web browser to confirm root the CC was showing firmware version 17***** but shortly afterwards rebooted and installed the new 22062.

Remember to keep internet disconnected :)

sidaivelez

Oct 23, 2009
Hello anyone have issues with stock chromecast crashing Google play services and restarting streams? Doesn't happen with Netflix.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Free mobile app

rockerdudelive

Jun 10, 2010
no internet connection

After looking I basically want to mirror my screen to my tv. I don't really care about apps on chromecast so I really just want the streaming function. However I would like to know if streaming content on my phone sd card actually takes bandwidth. I don't want someone in the living room that's streaming netflix to be slowed down because I'm streaming from my phone to chromecase. or if the internet goes down but I still have my router working for the network would I still be able to stream movies saved on the phone.

I have a very limited connection and I don't want to be taking up most of the bandwidth for the internet for locally hosted content.

edit: i accidently posted this here rather than the faq thread because I had about 12 tabs open for chromecast, so if there is a more appropriate place to ask I'll delete this and ask elsewhere

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
While it won't take Internet bandwidth for local streaming (beyond what it needs to load the app that's receiving the stream), it will still take WiFi bandwidth, so keep that in mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: benkxda

anthonyly

Apr 20, 2012
Hey, about a week or two ago, I've been unable to get the casting logo on any websites on google chrome... Anyone else having this problem? I tried playing a video I recently casted on the site, and still weren't able to get the icon. I formated my chromecast (original) and my phone and no luck

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Hey folks,

after more than 3.5 years of maintaining this thread, I'll close it for the time being. It might get a refresh someday just like the LG G3 device index thread, we'll see. All of us were part of the beginning of the affordable streaming devices and it was fun. My Google Chromecast is still doing its job very well :)

Thanks to all members who contributed and developed in the Chromecast world. I for one learned new things and came in touch with really nice people within this device subforum. Hope to see you elsewhere on XDA, you alternatively can drop me a PM :laugh:

Best regards,
benkxda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts