[APP] NoLED v6.0.19 - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications

Search This thread

madmack

yeah, the screen doesnt light up when I receive a notification. Im gonna reboot- which I have before and it never seemed to help. it did seem to work when i already had a notification (gmail, missed call, text) just not by itself. :(

thanks.

If it does work for SMS/Missed Calls and Gmail, I don't think a restart would help you.
Try changing the notification tone. Or place any tone you like in /sdcard/sd/media/audio/notifications and give it a a unique name. Then in your 3rd party app, select that tone and test it with that.

Mysteryjunky

Aug 12, 2010
I want to thank you for all of your work. I love this app when it is working on my phone.

I did the update (after our exchange here on the forum) and it worked for the weekend. But now it does not seem to be working for missed sms. I'm not sure if any of the posts since are people with the same issue as I don't quite follow some of the tech jargin. But - I'm uninstalling and installing now to get the latest.

I'm posting because I just wanted to make you are aware that it had worked and then stopped. I also wanted to second the request made by a few others that it would be awesome if you could customize just a bit. I don't really care about missed calls. Only missed sms and voicemail messages. As far as I know (and have tested) this does not show a notification for the voicemail....is that right? I'll update once I reinstall in a few mins.

Thanks again. You're the best!

Nesousx

Sep 29, 2009
Great app!

May I suggest a modification? I would like to have "pixelled images" instead of colored dots.

Something like a Gmail icon + mail count, for emails; SMS icon + count for SMS, etc.

Something like this (only the yellow dots should appear):
twitpix.png

Last edited:

cashless

Dec 23, 2008
Houston, Texas / Nara, Japan
Great app!

May I suggest a modification? I would like to have "pixelled images" instead of colored dots.

Something like a Gmail icon + mail count, for emails; SMS icon + count for SMS, etc.

+1

Shouldn't this be as easy as changing out the drawables? Or am I missing something?

I'd love some 8bit 16x16 pixel icons for SMS, Gmail, Missed call, etc...

Maybe some custom notifications for the official Facebook and Twitter apps...

Just my 0.02.

Get all that working and I'll GLADLY pay a decent sum for the app.

madmack

+1

Shouldn't this be as easy as changing out the drawables? Or am I missing something?

I'd love some 8bit 16x16 pixel icons for SMS, Gmail, Missed call, etc...

Maybe some custom notifications for the official Facebook and Twitter apps...

Just my 0.02.

Get all that working and I'll GLADLY pay a decent sum for the app.

am not really using any drawables. These dots are dynamically created. Anyways, if you would send me some icons with transparent/black backgrounds, I'll look into it :)

bommel0815

Mar 28, 2008
Vienna
even the newest verision has the problem, that Sometimes I can not unlock the screen. I need to press and hold the power button until the shutdown menu appears, press back, then I can slide to unlock.

Mysteryjunky

Aug 12, 2010
SMS not working

Ok, so I uninstalled and re-installed the newest version in the last hour. The missed call notification works, but the sms does not. Also no notification for voicemail (but I'm not sure it is supposed to).

Per my previous post - this was working for both missed call and sms over the weekend. I have not changed anything nor downloaded anything new.

BTW- when it goes the the notification for the missed call - the entire screen flashes for just a short moment before it goes back to black with the blue box.

What do you suggest? (I don't know how to download from the thread - only from the market)

Samsung Captivate

madmack

even the newest verision has the problem, that Sometimes I can not unlock the screen. I need to press and hold the power button until the shutdown menu appears, press back, then I can slide to unlock.

You mean the screen does not respond to your touches to unlock it ? if so, does tapping on the power button to turn the screen off and then pressing the Home button fix the problem ?

madmack

Ok, so I uninstalled and re-installed the newest version in the last hour. The missed call notification works, but the sms does not. Also no notification for voicemail (but I'm not sure it is supposed to).

Per my previous post - this was working for both missed call and sms over the weekend. I have not changed anything nor downloaded anything new.

BTW- when it goes the the notification for the missed call - the entire screen flashes for just a short moment before it goes back to black with the blue box.

What do you suggest? (I don't know how to download from the thread - only from the market)

Samsung Captivate

voicemail notifications is currently not supported. You'll only have voicemail if you received a missed call anyways (unless you got no reception at the time of the call).

I can't diagnose why SMS does not work for you specially that Missed calls do work. it really should work with version 0.9. I personally never had a problem with it. (see if this works. have an email notification or a missed call notification first, then send an sms.. do you get a green dot ?)

As for the entire screen flashing. This is normal behavior, I have to wake the screen up before showing the notifications.

bommel0815

Mar 28, 2008
Vienna
You mean the screen does not respond to your touches to unlock it ? if so, does tapping on the power button to turn the screen off and then pressing the Home button fix the problem ?

well, now that I try to reproduce it again, it works..but I will post with the results when it happens again, thanks :)

otherwise great app and great idea, thanks!

pingpongboss

Apr 7, 2010
San Jose
Thanks for developing this incredibly useful app! However, it has accelerated my battery drain while active, and so its not a very practical solution for me yet.

CAP2010081610031.jpg

At 8:00AM, I got an email, and NoLED started to display a blinking purple dot. The battery drained ~2x as quickly.

prosto_mike

Aug 16, 2010
Portland, OR
K9 mail and NoLed

I want to say thank you for the great app. It works great on my Vibrant. I only have a small issue - it doesnt notify of new emails when the phone is set to vibrate only (texts, missed calls, gmail - no problem there). I am using K9 mail. I saw it says that it might not work with third party apps so I was just wondering in anyone using K9 mail and NoLed have it working in vibrate/silent mode, if yes can you share the settings to tweak?

Thanks

madmack

I want to say thank you for the great app. It works great on my Vibrant. I only have a small issue - it doesnt notify of new emails when the phone is set to vibrate only (texts, missed calls, gmail - no problem there). I am using K9 mail. I saw it says that it might not work with third party apps so I was just wondering in anyone using K9 mail and NoLed have it working in vibrate/silent mode, if yes can you share the settings to tweak?

Thanks

It shouldn't work with 3rd party apps in silent/vibrate mode. The only for you to fix this is to make k9mail play an empty notification sound when you have an email. so put silent.mp3 for example in /sdcard/sd/media/audio/notifications and then select that file as your notification tone in k9mail. a red dot should appear now.

prosto_mike

Aug 16, 2010
Portland, OR
It shouldn't work with 3rd party apps in silent/vibrate mode. The only for you to fix this is to make k9mail play an empty notification sound when you have an email. so put silent.mp3 for example in /sdcard/sd/media/audio/notifications and then select that file as your notification tone in k9mail. a red dot should appear now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give this a shot although, I would think that in vibrate/silent mode it would not trigger any sound notification at all ...

Mysteryjunky

Aug 12, 2010
Follow up

This seems to work / not work intermitently. I don't know why. I love it when it works, it's a great tool....... I'm not doing anything else with my phone in between, so I don't understand. :confused:

For now, it doesn't seem to be reliable on my Captivate. I'll keep watching for updates.

Again, I would def pay for a version that you could customize and would notify of voicemails. I'm of the mindset that a missed call is no big deal. If the call was important, they'd leave me a message and then I want that notification. But, I'm also not the typical cell phone user that has it glued to their hand/ear, etc. either.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before asking questions, please read the FAQ.

Introduction:

I saw the idea posted somewhere previously that instead of getting the capacitive lights on, we really should be putting the phone's AMOLED screen to work ! specially that it doesn't consume any backlight energy when displaying a black screen. So I developed an app that does just that: upon receiving a notification, it will display a black screen with a dot or icon somewhere in the screen. I really should put these in bullet points..

Description:

the application does the following:

1. When your phone receives a notification, it switches the screen on and displays a notification. The notification bounces around every 3 seconds (changeable via an option). This will guarantee using different LEDs so that the same ones won't be burned out.

2. You can customize whether to have a dot or an icon for each type of supported notification. Users may also customize the colors of these icons/dots.

3. NoLED will work with SMS/MMS, Gtalk, Gmail, Missed calls, Voicemail, Calendar and K-9 (email client) without any additional permissions. Any other 3rd party software (e.g. Whatsapp, Email app, Yahoo Mail and Hotmail) will need to be checked under Monitored Apps and will require granting Accessibility rights to NoLED.

4. The app runs as a service, after installing, you have two ways to activate the app. (a) by restarting. (b) by loading the widget into your home screen and clicking on it.

5. To get rid of the notification screen, you may use the home or the back key. You can enable dismissal via more keys in the Miscellaneous submenu. Once your notifications are dismissed, all notifications disappear and will not come back up.

I have also logged the touch drivers and saw that although I'm displaying a black screen and setting flags to not respond to touch messages, android is still receiving touch messages when you touch any spot on the screen. This, I imagine, consumes resources! So I disabled the touch drivers when the black screen is active. Dismissing the notifications should reactive the touch drivers. If your screen is unresponsive to touch even after the notification screen is dismissed, a simple restart should take care of it. There is also an option to completely disable that feature. The touch drivers are only disabled on the Samsung Galaxy S variants, all other devices are still receptive to touch events.

Now the touchscreen drivers were a lot easier to mess around with. The sourcecode given by samsung helped me achieve the activation/deactivation of the screen. Things are not the same with the capacitive buttons. You'll notice that when the black screen is on, if you touch any of the soft buttons, they'll light up (although am suppressing them programatically). On some other devices like the Nexus S, these backlights cannot be switched off once the screen is turned on programatically. This is a bug from Google and more info is in the FAQ.

Video review:

Thank you totallydubbedHD for giving us this neat preview of the app:

Themes:

Want to change the default icons that ship with NoLED?
    Check out Themes:

http://www.devasque.com/noled/themes.php

Official web site:

http://www.devasque.com/noled/

Translations:

NoLED is translated into several languages thanks to our army of volunteers ! More details can be found at: http://www.devasque.com/noled/translations.php

If you think you can help expand that list, please see this link
    I appreciate all the help we can get on this.

Enjoy ! Comments and feedback will be appreciated

Update 8/11/2010: Application is now on the Android Market.

If you like this work and want to motivate and encourage further development, please consider a donation :)
    Thanks

Change log

v6.0.19 6/5/2013
    • Added Vietnamese, updated Italian and Ukranian (Thanks nhh1994, 4lex and Olex)
    • Support Gmail 4.5 and new tabbed inbox
    • NoLED will insert a .nomedia in the custom themes folder so as not to show these themes in your Gallery app

Please go to http://www.devasque.com/noled/change.php for the complete change log.

NoLED Weather

v0.8 10/23/2012
    • Weather should now reflect current city more accurately; it will choose the first returned search result.

v0.7 10/10/2012
    • Weather was not automatically updating after a restart. Now it does.

v0.5 9/13/2012
    • Fixed an issue where geolocator was causing auto-update to stop working.

v0.4 9/6/2012
    • Updated language files
    • Changed weather provider to MSN. Google just quietly killed their APIs :(
    • Changed geolocator timeout to 90 seconds (used to be 20 seconds)

v0.3 1/26/2012
    • Added Geolocation using Wireless networks (no physical GPS will be used).
    • -it will give up wireless location discovery after 20 seconds (will release all wakelocks).
    • -if timedout, weather will query the latest weather location on record.
    • Removed the noled weather icon from the app launcher (i personally found it so ugly and useless). Instead, you access the weather app/plug-in via the NoLED settings under toggle notifications (requires NoLED > v5.0.1b).

FAQ

Please go to http://www.devasque.com/noled/FAQ.php.
    Google decided to pull it off due to the SMS permission it requires and I don't have any time to work around it. You can still download the apk from the OP.
    I'm done coding for the day. v6.0.5b is the product of my work and it's available in the OP. Change log, as usual, is in the 2nd post.

I'll work on adding back some monitored apps features like text filtering and custom icons. With this new menu, I can easily make very fine-tuned custom settings for each monitored app. Done. get v6.0.6b instead.
    just released v6.0.0a. It basically takes NoLED to the next level. More information on the 2nd post.

I'll appreciate any feedback I can get :)