[Q] Apps to SDCard - Galaxy Note 2

Search This thread

RakeshRaja

Oct 23, 2012
Rajkot
Hello

I am totally new user of Android. Using Galaxy Note 2. I have just rooted it. Can any one tell me how can I move apps or at least force new installations to SDCard?

I have used Odin Root method.

Also have tried almost all appstoSD apps on play store.

Regards

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
I assume you did install an sd card. So what problem are you having with apps like Apps2Sd? Did you go to settings/applications and move them there?

RakeshRaja

Oct 23, 2012
Rajkot
I assume you did install an sd card. So what problem are you having with apps like Apps2Sd? Did you go to settings/applications and move them there?

It doest work and any other apps which says it will bring "move to SD" also dont work.

Yes I do go to setting and than application and than application details.. There is no such move to sd button.

Directory bind also not working..

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
64GB.. I don't think small will work too.. As I am seeing such problem with other users and even with S 3 users too..

Any solution for this?

I have tried 8GB card too still not working.
Well the more I read the more I see others having the same issue and may be a Jelly Bean issue.
"The ability is taken out in devices launched with ICS/JB, devices updated to ICS/JB still have the ability to move apps to SD it seems"

I think you can still do it if your rooted though with Link2SD . Anybody else care to chime in??
May make me change my mind about the 16GB version.
BUT, I am pretty sure 16 GB is plenty of internal space for apps!

Last edited:

RakeshRaja

Oct 23, 2012
Rajkot
I have tried almost all popular app2sd apps.. Link2SD is also included.

Even have tried Android SDK and used setlocaton method too.

Well the more I read the more I see others having the same issue and may be a Jelly Bean issue.
"The ability is taken out in devices launched with ICS/JB, devices updated to ICS/JB still have the ability to move apps to SD it seems"

I think you can still do it if your rooted though with Link2SD . Anybody else care to chime in??
May make me change my mind about the 16GB version.
BUT, I am pretty sure 16 GB is plenty of internal space for apps!

RakeshRaja

Oct 23, 2012
Rajkot
This works great now.. but thing is that its too restrive .. it work only on SDCard folder.. Its not working for any other folder..

"data" folder where all apps and app data stays.. we need to work Directoryblind for that and which is not working.

ATM the only solution is directory bind, bund I haven't tried it as I find it cumbersome to use from reading users' input on this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1889550

Looking Glass

Jan 3, 2004
No way

After trading-in a Note I in exchange for a Note II, I had to return my Note II to the store, and did the same a week later with my S III.

I see no point at all having a device that just a week after purchase showed the message: "not enough memory to update your apps".

After lots of reading and asking the techs from the store, I found there is no solution, since this is currently a Samsung desition to block this option completely out on their new models, furthermore, they even say it has been done on Google's request.

So wellcome back my HD2.

It's a shame, i'll stay away from Samsung products as far as I can.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: RakeshRaja

RakeshRaja

Oct 23, 2012
Rajkot
After trading-in a Note I in exchange for a Note II, I had to return my Note II to the store, and did the same a week later with my S III.

I see no point at all having a device tha just a week after purchase showed the message: "not enough memory to update your apps".

After lots of reading and asking the techs form the store, I found there is no solution, since this is currently a Samsung desition to block this option completely out on their new models, furthermore, they even say it has been done on Google's request.

So wellcome back my HD2.

Regards.
Shame Samsung.. I have to live with this.. because I really cant sell note 2...

Looking Glass

Jan 3, 2004
Shame Samsung.. I have to live with this.. because I really cant sell note 2...

What a pitty! They offered me going back to an S-II or a Note-I, at store price of course, paying the overprice from what I got from my old traded-in unit.
Buying a phone is becoming quite a "case of study" where you have to be extra carefull, since you really don't know what you're buying until you have it for a few days, and then i's too late.....

dmonger11b

Jul 18, 2012
Rom toolbox also has the option of app2sd. You can tell it to send all new apps to the sd card after its downloaded.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010

I see no point at all having a device that just a week after purchase showed the message: "not enough memory to update your apps".

After lots of reading and asking the techs from the store, I found there is no solution, since this is currently a Samsung desition to block this option completely out on their new models, furthermore, they even say it has been done on Google's request.

So wellcome back my HD2.

Regards.

I get low memory errors on my current EVO & hate it. Is there really no reasonable solution? So far the only options offered in the US are 16GB models..? WTF Samsung?:eek:

Jed Dignazio

May 15, 2008
16Gb Not enough???

I dont understand why you guys are worried. You dont think 16GB is enough to store apps. Besides any apps that require additional content download usually go to sd anyway.

EmergencyMedic

Oct 8, 2012
My phone (currently) is a second child entertainer - ipad being no.1 ATM, whilst in the car etc - this requires a vast quantity of video (not a prob. With a 64GB ext micro sd sitting on my desk awaiting a suitable wrapping) and games - usually only the 50M cheap/free games, but the kids are getting older - games more complex - use much more space AND I have a son and a daughter - so need boys & girls games. The 16 GB Will not have enough space (my ipad has 24GB of these!)

But I thought about it (after looking a what I actually need)

My main reason for buying SNGII is for work - Internet access, in pocket books, logbook of Procedures done at work, basic office document viewer/editor - the 16GB will be fine for these. (Ipad was good but too big & heavy)

Second reason is really good deals by three for tethering - so I can drop my ipad 3G sim (saving £15 per month), again 16GB good for this - we use the ipad a lot when camping (wife can't miss x-factor)

Third reason is for a better GPS than my tiny iPhone 3GS (on its last legs - will be retired to iPod mode in car) - 16GB ok for this - but on device maps will needs to be on SD

Forth, a camera - again 16GB ok as can set to store on external SD (except bursts - but presume you can move these later)

Fifth - a note taker - this is actually joint 1st - miss my old WM phones (XDA Exec, Toshiba L something etc) and the stylus - notes are only stored on the internal - as I expect these are small file sizes I "should" be ok with 16GB

Sixth - a sketch book - I love to sketch - presume sketchbook pro etc will allow ext SD storage

For all the above I think a 16 GB will be fine, HOWEVER:

- Many of the medical Apps have large DBs - hopefully these will be extSD mountable

- I might run out of game space

The solution I have come up with (and my wife has agreed - surprisingly her idea - well she thinks it was) is Christmas: 2x nexus 7 32GB (due out soon?) one for each child (no ipad mini - the original plan for the kids by wife - STUPID PRICES) - kids tried the nexus out in shops and loved them (because they are better) - so I get some space back!

So.........I'm probably going for a 16GB in the end - it will save me money (currently £36 all you can eat O2 plus £15 10GB 3 contract) by only costing £69 one off plus £36 pm all you can eat, including tethering - 2 yr contract

If I run out of space, I'll root and either swap internal for external or directory bind

I'd get the 32GB right now in a heart beat, samsung would get more money, google would get more money (more space for more apps) but hey ho.

Figure, based on GNI & SGIII that the 32GB will be far away and more expensive. If it turns out it comes sooner, or the 64 come out and I'm struggling for space, I'll sell on eBay and upgrade (tho its more likely I'll wait for the SGNIV!) - if I do game it's usually on ipad anyway ATM.

Took a little while for me to get there, and I'll be gutted if the 32 comes out next week! But I think I've made a decision - probably!

(Please note: I'm not an apple OR android fan boy - I just choose what suits my needs the best - I do like to tinker so am looking forward to android)

PS: Love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM&sns=em

Guess what's the next big thing.....

Last edited:
Reactions: goalweiser

rvenes

Jun 26, 2009

So wellcome back my HD2.

Regards.

Have you checked if your neightbour have Samsung phones?
You might have to move if he have a Samsung phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I know some of these suggestions have already been made but as some people are starting to become irritated and not being so nice I thought I would outline some of the things I have done to save my 16GB of internal storage.

*This is a Samsung programming error and not a user error, there are plenty of apps that can be moved to SD on one device but not on a Samsung device. That is because Samsung has named the internal storage "SDCard." You have to navigate to /storage/extsdcard to see your actual microSD that you have installed. Stop being rude to each other, it's not necessarily the user's fault if they are just beginning their search for answers or are new to Android.

There are several options to transfer your data and make your microSD usable and not just a storage device you must navigate to.

1) GL to SD (Root required) - This not only moves your game data for Gameloft games but does detect other large data folders and moves them as well. Keep in mind that you have to go into this program and open the game/software from within using the "open" button, otherwise whatever game you are trying to play with download the data to your internal memory again.

2) Directory Bind (Does not require root for all folders) - This works good for large folders, i.e. - cloudagent, EA game folders not detected by GL to SD. On my GN2 it works good, binds at startup, but if I open the program it does not list what is actively bound. I don't worry about that because it seems to be working fine. When I first started using this it seemed backwards to me, the "source (data) path" is actually the path where you want to move items to. "Mount (target) path" is where they are existing, growing up with windows this seems like it is worded backwards so I have to remember this when I bind a new folder.

3) Apps2SD Script (Root required) - I have not personally used this but there are many users who have had great success with this method. This virtually swaps your internal "sdcard" directory with the "extsdcard" directory and once you have installed the script your "extsdcard" will actually be your internal memory.

There are numerous XDA threads and options available to overcome this issue (unfortunately most require root) and there are also plenty of YouTube video guides and 4.4M Google returns for a search regarding this. If you are still looking for answers try one of these proven methods. For those of you with a little more experience, BE NICE! If you are only going to respond to a thread to degrade or put someone down you need to not respond at all. You & I were noobs once and your post count means nothing to most of us!
    Your all mad returning phones because of storage
    Theres already a hack out to swap memory round so everything
    Is installed on sd card
    I have 64gig card used as main memory

Man up
    Root your phone
    Install storage fix from s3
    If not wait till someone else sorts something

Ppffffttt
    Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

So wellcome back my HD2.

Regards.

Have you checked if your neightbour have Samsung phones?
    You might have to move if he have a Samsung phone.
    Well so far there's a solution which I've found. Swapping your ExtSD with the phone.

**Note that this will only work with TouchWiz-based roms.

1. Your MicroSD should be formatted before this is done.

2. Download the app2sd script from: downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyNote2/app2sdNote2

3. Install and open Script Manager. play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=os.tools.scriptmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9zLnRvb2xzLnNjcmlwdG1hbmFnZXIiXQ

4. In the Script Manager app, go to the app2sd script and check on enable "SU" and "Boot".

5. Reboot and you should see you ExtSD as internal storage (64gb) and internal storage is now ExtSD.

Credits to HighOnAndroid for this: youtube.com/watch?v=QUF7R0mmk00&feature=g-all-u
    Uh...then I guess we are reading two completely different things....or you are not able to comprehend what was written. If anything, this guy gave a great answer without actually coming over to your house and moving your "allowable" apps to sd, or installing a 3rd party app that will allow this. If this guy didn't want you to do this, he would have said that this is not allowed and left it at that.

Fact is, apps need to have this option built in to them in order to move them using the method he described.

Settings > Applications > Application management and selecting the desired app

And the reason he didn't name any programs, was most likely those programs need root access, and that is something not many manufacturers want you to do.

try going to the settings then and tell us which apps allow you to move it to SD card....