[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the Aria with Unrevoked 3.21

Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because there aren't any really detailed instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC Aria.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE ARIA

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
  9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

If you're stuck on "Waiting for Device", INSTALL HTC Sync, but do NOT run it.
HTC Sync will load the necessary ADB drivers onto your computer, but so long as you do not let the process run while you are trying to run unrEVOked3, it will NOT interfere. Knowing this would have saved me quite a lot of time, so hopefully someone else reads this and they can salvage their sanity :D

Also, if you're stuck on "Waiting for Root", go ahead and restart your Android while its connected to the USB. It took me one reboot for the root to go into effect, and right after that, unrEVOked3 finished.

Last edited:

kopimi

Sep 21, 2010
Great guide, would have really helped me last night while I was pulling my hair out haha. One thing you may want to add to the OP:

HTC Sync will load the necessary ADB drivers onto your computer, but so long as you do not let the process run while you are trying to run unrEVOked3, it will NOT interfere. Knowing this would have saved me quite a lot of time, so hopefully someone else reads this and they can salvage their sanity :D

Also, if you're stuck on "Waiting for Root", go ahead and restart your Android while its connected to the USB. It took me one reboot for the root to go into effect, and right after that, unrEVOked3 finished.

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Great guide, would have really helped me last night while I was pulling my hair out haha. One thing you may want to add to the OP:

Thanks man :) Added to the OP

LTD36

May 1, 2010
I rooted my girlfriend's Aria with this and I see SuperUser Permissions (as you would with a root) but when I go to Android SDK and type "adb shell" I get a $ back instead of a 2. I also typed su and got back a permissions denied. I am also unable to do "adb remount" due to permissions. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
-Mike

Reactions: phatmanxxl

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
I rooted my girlfriend's Aria with this and I see SuperUser Permissions (as you would with a root) but when I go to Android SDK and type "adb shell" I get a $ back instead of a 2. I also typed su and got back a permissions denied. I am also unable to do "adb remount" due to permissions. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
-Mike

You need to give the adb shell SuperUser permission, too. Load the SuperUser app and then make a adb shell connection while the SuperUser screen is up. Then when you type su at the $ prompt, the SuperUser app will give you the Allow/Deny prompt.

Regards,

Tom

mrmacintosh100

Jan 9, 2010
Conyers, GA
I just tried this and can't seem to get it to work. :( Can anybody help me out? I'm sure that I've done something wrong. I finally got unrEVOked to recognize my Aria, however when I clicked "Ok" (to root it when the message popped up) it said "Failed to push recovery. Terminating." What did I forget to do?? :confused:

Plasmamuffins

Apr 7, 2010
Sorry for my noobiness on the Aria, but what does using unrevoked to root it do for the Aria?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

0ptimus82

Oct 7, 2010
Cali
Still unable to install applications with the phone rooted

Hi, I followed the instructions, after I got the "done" message, i went to nandroid option made a backup, when it was finished i restarted the phone.

I´m trying to use Astro to install Sygic on the phone but I always get the same message.... you phone is blocked.

I see the little ninja in apps... what else is missing? what is wrong?

Thanks for your help...

I´m about to give up and sell this phone :confused:

The day i got the phone I upgraded it to the latest firmware available in HTC web page, is that the ugly part of the story?

-------------------------------------------------------

I solved this issue by istalling a custom image.

Last night I istalled the liberated_aria_ddx_R012_signed, I have to say that everythign is going perfect, no problems so far.

But everytime I plug the cable and the phone is off, it starts in recovery mode, so i have to select reboot.

Before flashing the image, I formated the SD card, wiped data, cache and dalvik cache.

If I turn on the phone it starts normally, It´s just happening when I plug the usb cable or the charger.

I also made other test, I plugged the phone when it was on, then I turned it off (with the cable plugged), when it finished the turning off process it automatically started again in the clockwork recovery mode.

Could you please tell me how to solve this?... this is my first Android phone, I donñt want it to start in recovery mode when I just want to charge it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

echodun

Dec 11, 2007
Phone needs to be on while charging. You no longer have to turn equipment off to get a full charge. If you charge while it's off it will go into recovery mode.

0ptimus82

Oct 7, 2010
Cali
Phone needs to be on while charging. You no longer have to turn equipment off to get a full charge. If you charge while it's off it will go into recovery mode.

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Is there any way to change it?, i´d like it to work as usual, you plug it you get the green battery charging... that way it is impossible to make misstakes, for the next time i need to get in to recovery mode i would push pwer + volume-.

maybe by applying a mod.zip using clockwork?

Last edited:

echodun

Dec 11, 2007
Thanks for your prompt answer.

Is there any way to change it?, i´d like it to work as usual, you plug it you get the green battery charging... that way it is impossible to make misstakes, for the next time i need to get in to recovery mode i would push pwer + volume-.

maybe by applying a mod.zip using clockwork?

No way that I know of. It's on my Cyangenmod ROM too. Maybe a product of using the Unrevoked method of rooting. When I plug mine in to the computer charging cable I get a red light for charging and then screen goes off in about 10 secs. Not a big deal to me although it through me for a loop at first too.

0ptimus82

Oct 7, 2010
Cali
No way that I know of. It's on my Cyangenmod ROM too. Maybe a product of using the Unrevoked method of rooting. When I plug mine in to the computer charging cable I get a red light for charging and then screen goes off in about 10 secs. Not a big deal to me although it through me for a loop at first too.

I know... it´s not a problem, it´s just that it´s not the way it happened for some years ago since i´ve had a cell phone :p.

So, the only way to avoid it is to uninstall clockwork recovery?

OJsakila

Mar 14, 2009
Cracked my screen on my rooted aria after my camera stopped working and I had filed for a warranty replacement. Was so happy with the original phone that I took the $300 hit they would apply if I sent the bad phone back with physical damage...I decided to keep the new phone and ATT will allow me to pay them in several installments with my monthly bill.. :)

I promptly used your instructions to root this new phone. Took me all of 5 minutes.

Great job.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because there aren't any really detailed instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC Aria.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE ARIA

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
    2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
    3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
    4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
    5. Open Device Manager.
    6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
    7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    12. Your driver should install.
    13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
    2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
    3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
    4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
    5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
    6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
    7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

Thanks
    -Mike
    I followed the steps for rooting my Aria using Unrevoked 3.22. Things went smooth as per the instructions. I was able to install ROM Manager and also install ClockworkMod Recovery on my phone. I was also able to back my current ROM onto the sdcard. My computer is a FC12 Linux box with android sdk. I can see the phone when I do "adb devices" and the phone is in charge only mode. So things look fine so far.....but when I do a "adb shell" and then a su, I do not get a "#" and instead get the message "Permission denied".

So my 2 questions are

1. Was I successful in rooting my device?. If not, please give me some pointers what to do?
    2. Also before I go ahead and install CM6.1, I am trying to allow non market apps on my stock Aria. So when I do "adb remount", I get the same "Permission denied" message.

Phone has stock software 1.25.502.12 with firmware 2.1-update1

You must have been successful or you couldn't have installed clockwork recovery, but it sounds like you still have the completely stock ROM. Rooting is a one-time process that uses some fault in the system to exploit a root shell. Once you have a root shell, you can do stuff like install recovery, but if you don't do anything else, you lose root once you close your root shell. The good news is that you did install clockwork recovery and this allows you to do all the stuff HTC and AT&T don't want you to do.
    it seems to me that you have acieved root, simply power off the phone, hold Down volume key and press power. once the bootloader pops up wait for the quick diagnostic to run, then choose Recovery from the list. if it boots into ClockworkMod Recovery, youre good to flash a custom ROM.

if you need help doing this, there are plenty of guides to follow:)
    will this work for the HTC Gratia? I don't personally own the device myself, and I barely know anything about it or the Aria. :p is there any difference between them?

It has been reported that this currently will not work for the HTC Gratia. The Gratia is a European version of the HTC Aria with a different radio for European frequencies and it ships with Android 2.2 instead of Android 2.1 like the Aria does.