Stuck/reboot in download mode

Search This thread

Lick My Toes

Oct 12, 2010
Hey guys, ran into a problem and was wondering if anyone knew a fix.
My s4 will only reboot in download mode. If I do a battery pull and then put the Battery back in, it will automatically turn on in download mode. I've tried with both batteries and same thing.

Only way for me to get around this is to pull the battery, hold button combo for download mode (vol down + power) then reinsert the battery. Once the warning screen comes on, hit cancel, and it will boot normally. But if I go to the menu to reboot, it will only go to download mode and I'll have to do a battery pull again.

No idea why this is happening. It started happening when my Battery was low. So I turned it off to switch out to a new battery. Once the new battery was inserted, it auto started in download mode. Wtf!

I'm running rooted stock. I had twrp installed through goo manager (i think) but never flashed a rom. That was months ago and I never ran into a problem until now.

Any fixes for this? Unfortunately I'm halfway around the world on vacation and won't have access to a computer for awhile. Is my only option using ODIN to flash the stock rom? I hope there's another way around this.... Thanks in advance guys

The Sickness

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere in Texas
Hey guys, ran into a problem and was wondering if anyone knew a fix.
My s4 will only reboot in download mode. If I do a battery pull and then put the Battery back in, it will automatically turn on in download mode. I've tried with both batteries and same thing.

Only way for me to get around this is to pull the battery, hold button combo for download mode (vol down + power) then reinsert the battery. Once the warning screen comes on, hit cancel, and it will boot normally. But if I go to the menu to reboot, it will only go to download mode and I'll have to do a battery pull again.

No idea why this is happening. It started happening when my Battery was low. So I turned it off to switch out to a new battery. Once the new battery was inserted, it auto started in download mode. Wtf!

I'm running rooted stock. I had twrp installed through goo manager (i think) but never flashed a rom. That was months ago and I never ran into a problem until now.

Any fixes for this? Unfortunately I'm halfway around the world on vacation and won't have access to a computer for awhile. Is my only option using ODIN to flash the stock rom? I hope there's another way around this.... Thanks in advance guys

That seems like the only option you have will be to Odin back to stock. It looks like you have tried to get it to boot right by what you have said.

Mobile Odin should work. Not sure because I never have used it. Maybe someone that has will give you a heads up on it.

My S4 Is Insane
Deviant Team Member

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
That seems like the only option you have will be to Odin back to stock. It looks like you have tried to get it to boot right by what you have said.

Mobile Odin should work. Not sure because I never have used it. Maybe someone that has will give you a heads up on it.

My S4 Is Insane
Deviant Team Member

I've used mobile Odin to go back to stock but it only worked on MDL and not mk2.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

phrotac

Mar 8, 2009
Lavaca, AR
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
That's not a common problem. I've never even HEARD of anything like that. It sounds like a corruption somewhere. But where? I don't know. Maybe no one does. I'm sorry :(

Tapatalk Pro 4 - GS4(M919)
?dbombRom is dbestRom?

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
Can you guys by any chance explain what went wrong? Bad bootloader?

I would start by downloading and flashing a custom ROM. Download the one you like and put it on your sd. From what I understand in your post you can only reboot to download from the power menu. If so you can probably use a terminal from the play store and grant it permissions. Type SU and give it permissions then type reboot recovery. You can also reboot into recovery from Goo manager. Once you achieve recovery make sure you have your ROM in your SD then do a full wipe by going to factory reset and choosing advance wipe. Select ONLY data, cache, dalvik cache and system. DO NOT wipe anything else or you will erase your OS. Once you wipe you can flash your ROM and let it sit for 10 minutes. Now you can try to reboot and see what happens. If it doesn't work then you most likely have a faulty device so the best thing to do is go back to stock, reset your counter and return your device. I hope you get it worked out! Good luck.

Reactions: phrotac

Lick My Toes

Oct 12, 2010
Well I used ODIN and went back to stock, it still only reboots into download mode. I flashed a ROM before doing that, problem still there. After using Odin, I can no longer use goo manager to flash a custom recovery. I will hitmenu then "install openrecoveryscript" it will download.... Then nothing. I will wait the 10 seconds then it goes back to the goo manager screen. I tried getting root and that also no longer works. Can also no longer boot into stock recovery.(vol up+home+power) it just boots into download mode. Am I screwed here? No other option than to send back to T-Mobile? I want to avoid that if at all possible. Any other options I may have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you guys by any chance explain what went wrong? Bad bootloader?

I would start by downloading and flashing a custom ROM. Download the one you like and put it on your sd. From what I understand in your post you can only reboot to download from the power menu. If so you can probably use a terminal from the play store and grant it permissions. Type SU and give it permissions then type reboot recovery. You can also reboot into recovery from Goo manager. Once you achieve recovery make sure you have your ROM in your SD then do a full wipe by going to factory reset and choosing advance wipe. Select ONLY data, cache, dalvik cache and system. DO NOT wipe anything else or you will erase your OS. Once you wipe you can flash your ROM and let it sit for 10 minutes. Now you can try to reboot and see what happens. If it doesn't work then you most likely have a faulty device so the best thing to do is go back to stock, reset your counter and return your device. I hope you get it worked out! Good luck.