Was this thread helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Juleast

CPs and BLs not flashing SOLVED!

Read OP HERE ! There is clearly written how to flash modem and bootloader correctly... If after carefully reading how to do it, you continue to have problems, try to download the files again

Hi, so it looks like I was completely mistaken and I'm sorry for all the misunderstandings. It looks like I didn't properly check MY baseband version. The files you provided on this forum has files that weren't actually compatible with my model. I checked the first 5-6 characters of my baseband and it was N900W8. And the files that were on the forum were N9005 which was different and that was why it failed to keep flashing. I needed to flash the right version of the baseband and bootloader.
Thanks for all the help from before

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I searched the forums but could not find what I was looking for. Is there a thread that folks comment on cheap rootable phones? For my purposes it will only be used for dev work, i.e. android app development, my main device is iphone so I don't need it for day to day use.

As far as I know, there is no thread dedicated to cheap rooted phones. There is a [Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy thread.

My opinion is, depending on what you're looking to develop, you will want a device that has an official A10 release. There are enough changes that using an older OS could be problematic. Again, you're not specific as to what development you want to do, but in my opinion, a used pixel 2 is virtually unbrickable and has solid support on A10 (though that is it's last release). It's maybe not a good choice if you want to develop specifically for Xiaomi or Samsung though.

I would want to caution that a cheaper pixel 2 (or any Google phone) is probably a Verizon model with an unlockable bootloader.

I would also think that you could find an Essential PH-1 which also has official A10 support. The Verizon problem exists with these phones also.

ie.u

Nov 6, 2019
As far as I know, there is no thread dedicated to cheap rooted phones. There is a [Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy thread.

My opinion is, depending on what you're looking to develop, you will want a device that has an official A10 release. There are enough changes that using an older OS could be problematic. Again, you're not specific as to what development you want to do, but in my opinion, a used pixel 2 is virtually unbrickable and has solid support on A10 (though that is it's last release). It's maybe not a good choice if you want to develop specifically for Xiaomi or Samsung though.

I would want to caution that a cheaper pixel 2 (or any Google phone) is probably a Verizon model with an unlockable bootloader.

I would also think that you could find an Essential PH-1 which also has official A10 support. The Verizon problem exists with these phones also.

hmm, too expensive for my needs, anything in the sub $50.00 range that you can comment on?

As for dev purposes:
Android App Development via Visual Studio For Mac and Xamarin

Hi, so it looks like I was completely mistaken and I'm sorry for all the misunderstandings. It looks like I didn't properly check MY baseband version. The files you provided on this forum has files that weren't actually compatible with my model. I checked the first 5-6 characters of my baseband and it was N900W8. And the files that were on the forum were N9005 which was different and that was why it failed to keep flashing. I needed to flash the right version of the baseband and bootloader.
Thanks for all the help from before

Really i have no words! Anyway, thanks for saying that...

C4mine

Nov 25, 2018
Need help in converting stock ROM into custom twrp flashable zip. All information on internet about this didn't helped me.so I need help of a developer.?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Need help in converting stock ROM into custom twrp flashable zip. All information on internet about this didn't helped me.so I need help of a developer.[emoji2955]
Most developers use linux for that and is not easy for the average user, even with knowledge of linux. I'm not sure if there are any methods that use Windows. I know of an old method that uses Android Kitchen and Cygwin, but Android Kitchen has not been updated/patched in years, it may be longer work.

It might be easier to install TWRP on the device, then use TWRP to create a nandroid backup of your stock firmware without your personal info or data included, then convert the backup into a flashable zip and modify the newly created zip to include your customizations and changes. Then the customized zip can be flashed the same as any other ROM.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

poohju

Oct 19, 2019
New to this

I have been sucessfull in installing custom roms to my phone (Treble GSI ones), but they all seem to miss features that other phones have main thing i has noticed is gestures and i know some have like android app lock thingi but yeah.. My question is what gives phone like gestures? is it kernel? or vendor.img? or roms themselves? anything would be helpfull. :)

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I have been sucessfull in installing custom roms to my phone (Treble GSI ones), but they all seem to miss features that other phones have main thing i has noticed is gestures and i know some have like android app lock thingi but yeah.. My question is what gives phone like gestures? is it kernel? or vendor.img? or roms themselves? anything would be helpfull. :)
Generally speaking, it will be the ROM, and hence there are 3rd party apps. However, gestures such as "double-tap to wake", require kernel specific features. It would be best if you specifically list which gesture you are asking about.

Reactions: Droidriven

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt

Features that only have a purely "software" function are built-in/enabled in the ROM(system.img)

Features that utilize hardware in the device in some manner to provide the feature are built-in/enabled in the kernel(the kernel is actually usually baked in the system.img but is separate from the "ROM").

Last edited:

poohju

Oct 19, 2019
Features that only have a purely "software" function are built-in/enabled in the ROM(system.img)

Features that utilize hardware in the device in some manner to provide the feature are built-in/enabled in the kernel(the kernel is actually usually baked in the system.img but is separate from the "ROM").

Generally speaking, it will be the ROM, and hence there are 3rd party apps. However, gestures such as "double-tap to wake", require kernel specific features. It would be best if you specifically list which gesture you are asking about.

I just wanted to get basic android, but it seems like ASOP GSIs are way too basic with no features being added ig. Imma search for smthing else then. Thank you for your replys.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I just wanted to get basic android, but it seems like ASOP GSIs are way too basic with no features being added ig. Imma search for smthing else then. Thank you for your replys.

Maybe you might try some from this repository https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/gsi/ of those that I tried HOS and OOS include some nice gestures and they just have some minimal tweaks over AOSP without mentioning Miui or Samsung that also have but they´re very different from the original source.

C4mine

Nov 25, 2018
Bro not working backup method too. If u help I can tell you which phone is I'm using and all information.

poohju

Oct 19, 2019
Maybe you might try some from this repository https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/gsi/ of those that I tried HOS and OOS include some nice gestures and they just have some minimal tweaks over AOSP without mentioning Miui or Samsung that also have but they´re very different from the original source.

Really like what i see, but sadly i get stuck on the first boot logo screens.. have been waiting around 10-15 mins.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Really like what i see, but sadly i get stuck on the first boot logo screens.. have been waiting around 10-15 mins.

Any of them potentially can boot on your device but it needs to meet some minimal requirements that you have to take in account.

here you have a basic reading to better comprehension of https://www.xda-developers.com/flash-generic-system-image-project-treble-device/ and also you will find some links to forum for devices that you have to compare with the yours and investigate what you´d need to fix in order to achieve your goal.

Here other huge repository with some roms that I know that have what you´re looking for like Evolution, Havoc, AospExtended and a great etc of "OSs" https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list

And here a specific guide with the steps to can succesfully boot a device that could be applied in almost any device, be warned that this is an image for an AB device but from those mods that I know; "permissiver v5" would match with your device https://gist.github.com/TheGabrielHoward/f66ca7970966b60f40474bbbc714a34d

rippin209

Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone, first I'd like to thank all those on here that know what they're doing and willing to help out the newbies

Ok so here's my situation

I bought a used V30 LS998 from Amazon and I'm thinking of rooting it

Being new to rooting there's a lot of information to sort through and absorb

This phone will be my daily use phone so stability is important

The problem I'm having is the multitude of options, i haven't done anything yet (including the OTA update my V30 wants to do, it's currently on march of 2018 software) and I've read a handful of how to guides, i guess I'm looking for an experienced guide to point out pros and cons

I know being a sprint customer i want to keep my phone a LS988 for the LTE bands (i would lose 1 our 2 switching to US988 software)

So my question is what would the people with experience recommend? I was looking at havoc Rom because of the options for performance gains but found little information on havoc on the V30 specificly and not sure I'm able to control the gain or loss of bands (things change quickly and some of the threads go back awhile) i was also looking at JohnFawkes guide to installing 30a firmware which seems fool proof and i still have the options of downloading whatever root apps i want to accomplish my own goals, so am i missing anything?

I'm humbly asking to be schooled here

I'm not concerned with Google pay and i can take or lose Netflix but I'd like the strongest signal possible and want my text, data and calls to work consistently
I do play clash of clans consistently and don't want anything to make that not work

My other issue being i don't even own a computer [emoji28] my kids have them for school but I'd like to use them as minimally as possible, i know at the very least it's necessary initially but what about later changes?

TonyCritchley

Nov 8, 2019
Yesterday, 10:15 AM |#1
OP Junior Member2 postsThanks: 0

In quite urgent need of help. Got 2 Galaxy S8+ phones here. I am in Australia. Australian Galaxy S8+ Model I have is the G955F, the other model which I think is USA is a G955U1 or UI I think. It was sold on eBay as an Australian model and I don't think it is after doing some research.

I have noticed that when putting the sim card in the Australian model it shows up on the top bar as '4G' for the network and on speedtest I get a down link rate of 94 mbps.

With the American model I use the same sim card which shows up as LTE instead of 4G and when doing a speedtest I get a rate of 20 mbps.

Bit frustrated about this as it seems it is not able to get the full use out of the frequences here in Australia which is affecting signal, calls and network.

As you lot seem very clued up on this can I ask if you know a fix? Software wise or hardware? Without having to replace the actual mobo and phone.

Thanks

poohju

Oct 19, 2019
Any of them potentially can boot on your device but it needs to meet some minimal requirements that you have to take in account.

here you have a basic reading to better comprehension of https://www.xda-developers.com/flash-generic-system-image-project-treble-device/ and also you will find some links to forum for devices that you have to compare with the yours and investigate what you´d need to fix in order to achieve your goal.

Here other huge repository with some roms that I know that have what you´re looking for like Evolution, Havoc, AospExtended and a great etc of "OSs" https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list

And here a specific guide with the steps to can succesfully boot a device that could be applied in almost any device, be warned that this is an image for an AB device but from those mods that I know; "permissiver v5" would match with your device https://gist.github.com/TheGabrielHoward/f66ca7970966b60f40474bbbc714a34d

First i wanna thank you for helping me. Secondly i got my first big heart attack.(i have had mini ones :)) I flashed the boot image recommended in one of the guides and all of my buttons stopped working... Luckly i managed to flash old boot img back.. If im not mistaken boot contains kernel? and secondly can i like merge 2 boot images so mine would still work but i get new stuff from the second boot image?

Wanted to clearify
this post. I have gotten other roms to work but some of them just stay on the logo loading screen its not actually like stuck ig its loading just soo long? is there anything i can do about that? tank you

Last edited:

bubblegum1

Nov 9, 2019
Hi all i have an eletriq android smart tv and some clever clogs has formatted all memory on the thing .
Now tv wont boot up .. is there a way to reinstall ?
I have tried all hard reset combos but nothing shows just a back lit screen .

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
First i wanna thank you for helping me. Secondly i got my first big heart attack.(i have had mini ones :)) I flashed the boot image recommended in one of the guides and all of my buttons stopped working... Luckly i managed to flash old boot img back.. If im not mistaken boot contains kernel? and secondly can i like merge 2 boot images so mine would still work but i get new stuff from the second boot image?

First I have to say is that you must have a plan B to can return to mainland if something goes wrong so bricks and mistaken are parts of this business, of course you can experience some of them just in little doses if you don´t do nothing weird like use a kernel for other device nor try to merge two boots in one.
Taking a GSI that was adapted for other device you are adding a double difficult so this images no longer are GSIs cause they were modifiied.
You have to take only universal (sorry for redundance) GSIs, no matter what device they come from but that remained untouched or were adapted for your device (and think this is not the case here).
Don´t use a boot from any other rom, ever use your own vendor and boot.

Wanted to clearify
this post. I have gotten other roms to work but some of them just stay on the logo loading screen its not actually like stuck ig its loading just soo long? is there anything i can do about that? tank you

Boot up can´t take more than 15´. Probably you´d need to format data before and after.

Unfortunately there´s not a recipe that works in all the cases, this will depend on how much compatible are the boot and vendor from your device (you can switch here for others if available combining them) with the GSI in discussion, and also the steps may produce different results.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    would it be good idea to get poco x5? i just want to try different custom roms.

i only found these roms.
    1. crdroid
    2. projectelixiros
    3. evolution-x
    will other roms be available in the future like pixelexperience , pixelos, lineageOs and others?
    Thanks.
    none of us have a crystal Ball. You may also have better luck on the thread below.
    hello, hope this is where i need to be and i thank you in advance for any help i receive because i am so confused and don't know where to start. so in dec 2021 i bought my f9212b vertical android head unit off of ebay and my boyfriend installed it for me. everything is working but its super slow and if what im reading is correct it hasn't had an update since i put it in. so that's pretty much where im at. i don't know where or how to update firmware or software or if i have to. i have my google account signed into the unit but the auto android update is enabled but im not totally sure that its current either\. its super slow. just a head start on my next question after i figure the software firmware stuff out... not a clue what the protocol name for my canbus is. its a 2016 Hyundai elantra, haven't been able to use this thing to the best of its abilities and i would like to figure it out after all this time.
    Since 2016 to our days, Android versions changed the play rules a lot, when this units were launched, considering that they usually came with an outdated version (1 or 2 back), out of the box, and they expected to, hopefully, just one Android update, so for our days they may run really slow...

While you wait for a better answer here, from a more experienced user, you would redirect to the Head Units Forum, you may find alternative answers for your issue there.
    Hi, I am trying to root an Infinix x650 I have unlocked OEM and flashing but can't find a reliable recovery file. Can you help me find it. Also I've come across terms like "flashing recovery", "flashing boot image", "flashing kernel", "flashing twrp". Can you explain the difference
    I came across this guide which details how to root and flash on your device. As I don't have your device there, make sure you read everything carefully (which you should always do, anyway) and backup everything etc. before you start.

Twrp is a custom version of a recovery so you can put those 2 in the same pile. With that, you'll be able to flash things like ROMs, as in the guide above. Other than that, you'll basically have no reason to flash the others and definitely not if you don't know what you're doing with them. You should only flash and modify what you understand in the first place so just do research and read, read, read before doing anything

would it be good idea to get poco x5? i just want to try different custom roms.

i only found these roms.
    1. crdroid
    2. projectelixiros
    3. evolution-x
    will other roms be available in the future like pixelexperience , pixelos, lineageOs and others?
    Thanks.
    If you only want to try different custom ROMs then don't get any modern phone. The android modding world has changed a hell of a lot in recent years and most devices don't have many custom ROMs available.
    Look in the device forums for the most popular phones in the last couple years and you'll see what I mean.
    For the most part, rooting and installing different modules with Magisk is what most people do now as it's much more straight forward than flashing a ROM and won't have as much bloat as you can pick and choose what customisation you would like, via different modules
    You didn´t mention the model, and what you did previously, to cause this happen.
    My guess is that he was trying to do the magisk root
    hi, are there any custom roms for the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (G361F) in particular, thanks in advance.
    Hello guys..:)
    I would like you to go through XDA new users guide and you must read the FORUM RULES before posting here or anywhere else on xda.

The rate at which the new users are joining xda on daily basis is very high. A lot of users join because they have got some problems with their devices like bricked phone, bootloops etc. because of following incorrect processes. Some join to help out others, to share their knowledge and gain more.

So basically this thread is for all of those who want to ask questions and answer those.

So those who want to help here, just try to answer without flaming, let it be answered thousands of times earlier, show them the path, direction and let them do things on their own. Do not spoon feed, rather just try to point them to right direction.

This whole idea is of @undercover and the former OP Bruce Wayne and I thank him.

To The people asking questions here, don't forget to check for the links from 2nd post. That will help you increase your knowledge, and do answer the questions asked by others if you know the answer. Please don't simply say thanks if some member helps you, instead use the thanks button, that will help us keep this thread less cluttered.
    [Ask Any Question] [Help Thread] NOOB FRIENDLY

Here are the names of some of my friends helping you on the thread.(Updated often)
    @iamareebjamal
    @Zatta
    @dagger (the original OP of this thread)
    @Stryke_the_Orc
    @prototype-U
    @EatHeat
    @nlygamz
    @plegdroid
    @Gogeta
    @malybru
    @Jimlarck
    @ADDICT.ANK
    @Primokorn
    @luqman98
    @hnkotnis
    @thenookieforlife3
    @ИΘΘK¡€
    @Sam Nakamura
    @xunholyx

@SubwayChamp

@ktmom

@Ibuprophen

Please do let me know if I have missed some names..:)

For a list of guides,refer here.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2073370
    Thanks to @Hpsgill

Atlast

Please dont spam the thread..​
    Hi mate!
    Nice to see a much needed thread like this here.. hope new members as well as old ones find this thread useful! :thumbup:

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
    Sent from my SGS II