[APP] G:RSS - A Google Reader RSS App for Windows Phone 7 (WP7) [U] 20101224 - v0.06

Search This thread

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Name: G:RSS - Google Reader - RSS Reader

G:RSS is the only Google Reader for Windows Phone 7 (WP7) with on-demand page pre-buffering that removes the wait from your reading experience. It contains nearly all of the functionality existing in the web-based reader, including pre-buffering of subscription items for instantaneous access, even over a cell connection. Trial version available.

Features include:

* Full version: Ad free!
* Full version: Star and share items
* Full version: Offline reading mode
* Background pre-buffering of articles in online mode for reading without the wait
* Access to all labels and feeds
* View all starred or unread items
* View your shared items
* View your friend's shared items
* Marking items, feeds, or labels read and unread
* Instant synchronization with your Google Reader account
* Support for WP7 system themes
* Ability to show teasers in item list screen
* Sliding transitions when moving between items
* Option for full SSL (HTTPS) reading
* Feed sorting (descending/ascending)
* Display of all or new items
* Direct access to labels or choose feeds within them

Changelog:

v0.06
* Misc. bug fixes (iframe display issues, characters, feeds)
* Support for international character sets
* Clarity on "Mark Read/Unread" text
* New setting to only show updated feeds.
* Added font size settings for title and body font sizes.
* Item Detail screens now follow the theme (light/dark)
* Article titles now link to the original web page

v0.05
* Release

Please report any bugs in the comments at http://nowsci.com/grss

Video and screenshots can be found at http://nowsci.com/grss

Any feature requests or comments on the current version of the application are much appreciated.

Download: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=77db121c-2703-e011-9264-00237de2db9e

grss-tag.png

Last edited:

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
When showing off the app in person over a lunch, I had a comment about wanting to see excerpts with the titles in the items listing screens. While this isn't something I would personally want on my portable screen, would anyone else use this functionality?

May 19, 2008
Looks very functional and smooth!

Hi there!

Just want to say it looks very smooth and functional. Keep it up!! Looking forward to the release of WP7 to use your app. ;)

the-hq

Mar 26, 2010
When showing off the app in person over a lunch, I had a comment about wanting to see excerpts with the titles in the items listing screens. While this isn't something I would personally want on my portable screen, would anyone else use this functionality?

Maybe you could offer it as an option?

vangrieg

Jul 30, 2007
Moscow
Definitely it's not one person, it's critical functionality for me as well in an RSS reader (not that I'm a potential user of a Google reader but still).

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Tada. It's an option in settings now.

Attachments

• RSS-WithTeasers.jpg
    RSS-WithTeasers.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 95

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
This looks great.

I love to see that some devs, like you, started creating apps already. This gives me good hope of the ammount of apps at launch, and the first few weeks after that.

Now for something else:
Does your app make use of the chosen background- and accent color?
If you could implement that, it will share the same style as one's startscreen.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Now for something else:
Does your app make use of the chosen background- and accent color?
If you could implement that, it will share the same style as one's startscreen.

Yes, it uses the theme you select in settings. The accent color is used for status labels, selections, unread indicators, and read indicators at 30% opacity. Since everything in the App is alpha based, any new themes are added should be supported without modification, too. I wanted to make sure the App felt as much a part of the OS as possible, and I will be continuing that theme throughout all my apps.

I've also added in some nice transitions when moving between articles, too.

Attachments

• GRSS-Dark-Light.jpg
    GRSS-Dark-Light.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

scottharr27

Aug 16, 2010
This looks great! I'm so excited for this app!

I'm an iPhone user who will be switching to WP7 when it comes out and gets a good Google Reader app. As an avid Reeder iPhone app user, these features are a must:

• Offline reading support
  • Ability to star items from the list screen without having to open the item. Reeder implements this with an incredible swipe function. Screenshot attached.
  • Ability to share items through other services (Facebook, Twitter, Read It Later, etc.). Screenshot attached.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks, but i still canNOT find the G:RSS software in the market, have your submit passed?

I wish it had. As per the above post I resubmitted on the 11th. It's still at the "Testing in Progress" stage. My guess is by today or tomorrow it will be approved, although different testers pass or fail for different things, so we shall see :)

I'll post here and on my site/twitter/facebook when it's ready.

Thanks,
    B.