[GUIDE] Unlock/Root Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) by Chaser42

Search This thread

acwodc

Aug 17, 2019
I got the new update file. I will install it this evening on my test tab. I doubt unlock will be affected.

Chaser

With the tablet in root, unable to run the new ota update. The ota has a new boot image and I had to fastboot the original boot.img file to the boot partition in order to get the new ota update to work.

AC
I extracted the original boot.img from the pie update ota file.

Aug 13, 2019
I've downloaded the latest update with Android9 for my tab 705L to my PC today but I need help with patching the image file... What should I do further?
I've never used Magisk before and I don't know what to start with to create the patched img... And do I need to update my device before patching?

Last edited:

acwodc

Aug 17, 2019
I've downloaded the latest update with Android9 for my tab 705L to my PC today but I need help with patching the image file... What should I do further?
I've never used Magisk before and I don't know what to start with to create the patched img... And do I need to update my device before patching?

You might want to wait until Chaser can provide some sort of advice. The new update has a compressed boot.img file that I cant uncompressed in windows (compressed bzip2 ?). You dont want to flash an incorrect image to the boot partition - it will brick you device.

AC
You will need to update before your attempt to root.

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
I was able to apply the new OTA update to my test P10 by reverting the boot image back to stock boot.img file found inside of 2nd OTA update. I am now stuck where you guys are. Per the official Magisk documentation, we need to patch the new stock boot.img which is created by the 3rd OTA update. However, it isn't clear to me how to get a copy of this new boot.img without root (or custom recovery).

This is a puzzle for sure. I'm still researching. Please let me know if you are able to make any progress. I'm sure that we can solve this as a community.

Currently I'm looking for a method of manually patching the boot.img file from the 2nd OTA update with the boot.img.p file found in the 3rd OTA update. I'm also looking into a no root method of extracting the boot.img file via adb (like with adb pull or dd). I'm no expert with firehose, but maybe there's a way to extract the file using the qcom download tool.

I'll post an update as soon as I find something... You guys do the same.

Thanks!

Chaser

acwodc

Aug 17, 2019
I was able to apply the new OTA update to my test P10 by reverting the boot image back to stock boot.img file found inside of 2nd OTA update. I am now stuck where you guys are. Per the official Magisk documentation, we need to patch the new stock boot.img which is created by the 3rd OTA update. However, it isn't clear to me how to get a copy of this new boot.img without root (or custom recovery).

This is a puzzle for sure. I'm still researching. Please let me know if you are able to make any progress. I'm sure that we can solve this as a community.

Currently I'm looking for a method of manually patching the boot.img file from the 2nd OTA update with the boot.img.p file found in the 3rd OTA update. I'm also looking into a no root method of extracting the boot.img file via adb (like with adb pull or dd). I'm no expert with firehose, but maybe there's a way to extract the file using the qcom download tool.

I'll post an update as soon as I find something... You guys do the same.

Thanks!

Chaser

Hi Chaser,
This might help - "How to patching an updated boot.img.p(atch) to a fastboot boot.img" a XDA post https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1702233
Could help in creating a boot img "offline".
Getting a bit complicated for me.
AC

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Hi Chaser,
This might help - "How to patching an updated boot.img.p(atch) to a fastboot boot.img" a XDA post https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1702233
Could help in creating a boot img "offline".
Getting a bit complicated for me.
AC

Thanks for mentioning that. I had come across the manual applypatch method before but then got busy going down other rabbit holes. If I can find all of the required parameters in the updater script, this just might work...

Chaser

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Success. After an enormous amount of research and trial and error, I was able to create the new bootloader image by manually applying boot.img.p with the Android applypatch tool. Many thanks to @acwodc for recommending this method. I pulled an all nighter and took another HARD look into making applypatch work. I finally found that the tool was modified by Google in 2017 so that it no longer works with files. You can only patch the memory segments directly. Precompiled binaries of older versions of the applypatch tool don't seem to exist anywhere for download. So I had an idea. I dusted off an older Android device that runs Marshmallow. I found the pre 2017 version of the applypatch tool on that device. Sure enough, that version of the tool works with files! After that, it didn't take long for me to create the shiny new boot.img file for OTA update #3.

Here are links to the new bootloader image along with the bootloader image prepatched with Magisk:

boot-S210068_190904.img
boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img

While the prepatched bootloader is the important file to have now to have root with the newest update, the original bootloader is important to have as you will have to flash that version in order to apply any additional OTA updates.

Enjoy!

Chaser

Last edited:

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
I was able to apply the new OTA update to my test P10 by reverting the boot image back to stock boot.img file found inside of 2nd OTA update.

How did you get the boot.img file?
I only can find a boot.img.p file in the latest ota, but no full boot.img.

Would like to revert back to original boot.img to install latest update.

Could anyone share the android 9.0 boot image or let me know how to get it?

thanks a lot,
Christian

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
How did you get the boot.img file?
I only can find a boot.img.p file in the latest ota, but no full boot.img.

Would like to revert back to original boot.img to install latest update.

Could anyone share the android 9.0 boot image or let me know how to get it?

thanks a lot,
Christian

I think we must have been creating our posts at the same time. :)

The post right above yours has everything you're looking for.

Chaser

Reactions: gforums

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
I think we must have been creating our posts at the same time. :)

The post right above yours has everything you're looking for.

Chaser

Thanks Chaser42, indeed we were writing at the same time.

Nevertheless seems I currently can't boot my device anylonger. I could enter fastboot mode and flashed the boot image with the original one, you attached.
Also tried the boot.img file from the 2nd OTA update, but in both cases the tablet remaint at the lenovo logo without gooing further.

Seems something went wrong for me...
any idea?

Okay, in my case I could enter the android safe mode by holding volume down + power key for a second or 2 while hanging on the lenovo logo.
Within the safe mode, I now could start the system update procedure. Afterwards will try to root again. :good:

thank you :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
Hi Chaser,

could you help me to patch my version of boot.img, please?
I can't use your img file to my regret 'cause I have LTE pad as you know...

olli_b

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for this great guide first Chaser42 :good:
It worked fine with me.

Now i have build 190528_row with magisk on my lenovo tab
But how can I get the latest ota update 190904 and root again?

Do I just have to install the new ota update via the system updater
and then flash the new boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img
with
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img
?

Olli

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Thanks for this great guide first Chaser42 :good:
It worked fine with me.

Now i have build 190528_row with magisk on my lenovo tab
But how can I get the latest ota update 190904 and root again?

Do I just have to install the new ota update via the system updater
and then flash the new boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img
with
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img
?

Olli

That's a really good question because I now realize that wasn't fully apparent to everyone.

OTA updates will not install if you are rooted. Prior to installing the update, you need to flash the original bootloader for your current version. The boot.img file for S200095_190528 is located inside of the zip file for that update. Here's a quick link to that bootloader image:

boot-S200095_190528.img

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Chaser

Reactions: olli_b

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Hi Chaser,

could you help me to patch my version of boot.img, please?
I can't use your img file to my regret 'cause I have LTE pad as you know...

If you have the boot.img file for your current version, I can create the updated boot.img file for the latest OTA update.

All I need is your current original bootloader image, the boot.img.p file from the new OTA update, and also the updater-script file from the new OTA update.

Chaser

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will show you how to unlock the bootloader and root Android 9.0 (Pie) with Magisk on the Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F).

This guide is written for Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F). However, it can also be used for the Smart Tab P10 LTE (TB-X705L), the M10 (TB-X605F), and the M10 LTE. All of these devices are essentially identical plus or minus a couple bells and whistles. The only real important technical difference is that each Smart Tab model uses its own specific stock ROM. Keeping up with each stock ROM can be quite a chore, so I will only provide information and links specific to the P10 (TB-705F) stock ROM in this guide.

All software links including stock ROM files, TWRP, Magisk, etc. can be found at the bottom of this post.

@abramxx has a thread for the TB-X605L: HERE

NOTE THAT THIS GUIDE IS ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOUR DEVICE IS RUNNING ANDROID 9.0 (PIE). If your device shipped with Android 8.0 (Oreo), you must upgrade because the Oreo bootloader does not allow a permanent unlock.

You can determine what version the stock ROM you are running by opening Android Settings -> About Tablet. So far Lenovo has released 9 versions the P10 stock ROM:

TB-X705F_S000017_20180831_ROW (8.0 - Oreo)
    TB-X705F_S000037_20181220_ROW (8.0 - Oreo)
    TB-X705F_S200095_190528_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210068_190904_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210120_191029_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210135_191212_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210137_200407_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210154_200910_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210164_201119_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
    TB-X705F_S210214_220725_ROW (9.0 - Pie) <current version>

If your device has not yet been unlocked and you are not running the current version, I highly recommend that you upgrade by using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant (LMSA) tool to perform a "rescue". The LMSA tool will download the full TB-X705F_S210120_191029_ROW stock ROM and flash it to the tablet. This will result in the loss of all data on the tablet. That's fine because unlocking the device will again clear all data (with the exception of the brand new stock ROM that you have just installed).

NOTE: If you can't make the rescue operation work using the LMSA tool, don't feel bad. Half the time I can't get it working either. As an alternative you can eliminate the LMSA tool all together by using the QComDLoader tool directly. You can find a link to the tool with instructions at the bottom of this post.

PREREQUISITES:
    • The understanding that by making these modifications, specifically unlocking the bootloader, will likely void the warranty of your device.
    • Be aware that when you modify your device you do so at your own risk. Be sure to follow all steps carefully or you could end up losing all of your data or bricking your device. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING THEN STOP NOW.
    • As stated above, your device needs to be running Android 9.0 - Pie.
    • You need to make sure you have developer settings turned on so that you can enable the "OEM unlocking" setting and the "USB debugging" setting. There are many guides available on how to turn on developer settings, so that is beyond the scope of this guide.
    • The fastboot tool must be installed on the device that will be connected to the tablet via a USB cable. Your USB device drivers need to be up to date on that device. In most cases that will be a Windows 10 PC, but the fastboot tool can also be used from devices running Linux or Android. There are a lot of resources already available on how to install the fastboot tool and USB drivers, so that is beyond the scope of this guide.
    • You should have a basic familiarity with the fastboot tool and the flashing of image files via the command line.
    • BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP ON THE TABLET. WHEN YOU UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER, EVERYTHING ON THE TABLET WILL BE WIPED. THAT INCLUDES THE INTERNAL SD CARD AS WELL AS ANDROID AND APP SPECIFIC DATA. ALL THAT WILL REMAIN IS STOCK ANDROID PIE THAT HAS BEEN FACTORY RESET.

HOW TO UNLOCK:
    1. Turn the tablet off.
    2. Hold down the volume down button along with the power button so that the tablet goes into fastboot mode.
    3. Using the USB cable, connect the tablet to the device with the fastboot tool installed.
    4. Launch the command line or terminal emulator from the device with the fastboot tool installed.
    5. Unlock the bootloader with the command:
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      This will begin the system wipe process and will take around 5 minutes to complete. Once it is complete, the tablet will boot up into Android starting at initial configuration wizard.

HOW TO ROOT:
    1. Power the device off. Don't bother with the initial configuration wizard.
    2. Hold down the volume down button along with the power button so that the tablet goes into fastboot mode.
    3. From the command line, navigate to the directory containing the Magisk prepatched bootloader image (magisk_patched.img) that you downloaded in the prerequisites.
    4. Flash the Magisk prepatched bootloader image with the command:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-TB-X705F_SXXXXXX_XXXXXX_ROW.img
    5. Boot normally into Android with the command:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    6. Go through the Android setup wizard making sure that you at least configure your Wi-Fi connection.
    7. Once you're done with the Android setup wizard, find Magisk Manager in the app drawer and open that app. Download and install the latest release of Magisk Manager from GitHub: LINK
    8. You will be prompted to download and install the latest full version of the Magisk Manager. You will also need to grant permission allowing the APK file you just downloaded to be installed.
    9. Once the newest version of Magisk Manager has been installed, open that app.
    10. Magisk Manager will state that it needs to complete the Magisk setup. Begin that process. It will take a minute or two to complete and then will automatically reboot the tablet.

Congratulations. Your Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) should now be fully rooted with Magisk. As a final task, it would probably be a good idea to install your favorite version of BusyBox. I highly recommend that you use the systemless version that can be downloaded and installed directly from Magisk Manager.

HOW TO INSTALL OTA UPDATES

If you are rooted with a bootloader that is patched with Magisk, then you will not be able to install OTA updates. The OTA update will look for the original unpatched bootloader image for the current build. If it is not installed then the update will simply fail.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Check to make sure which version of the stock ROM you are currently running.

TB-X705F_S000017_20180831_ROW (8.0 - Oreo)
      TB-X705F_S000037_20181220_ROW (8.0 - Oreo)
      TB-X705F_S200095_190528_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
      TB-X705F_S210068_190904_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
      TB-X705F_S210120_191029_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
      TB-X705F_S210135_191212_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
      TB-X705F_S210137_200407_ROW (9.0 - Pie)
      TB-X705F_S210154_200910_ROW (9.0 - Pie) <current version>

2. Download the original bootloader image for the version of the stock ROM your are currently on.
    3. Flash that bootloader image to the device.
    4. Install the OTA update. You can use the automatic update app inside of Android. You can also install the update manually. Download the OTA update file you need from the software links at the end of this post. Copy that file to your external SD card. Boot the tablet up into recovery (hold power, volume up, and volume down). Choose to apply update from SD card.
    5. Download the Magisk patched bootloader image for the version of the stock ROM your are upgrading to.
    6. Flash that bootloader image to the device. Reboot to system and you're all done.
    * NOTE: Installing an OTA update on a device running TWRP with a DECRYPTED data partition, you must follow a few extra steps. @clsA has documented that process HERE.

STOCK ROM FILES

TB-X705F_S000017_20180831_ROW:
    Full Stock ROM
    Original Bootloader Image
    Magisk Patched Bootloader Image

TB-X705F_S000037_20181220_ROW:
    OTA Update From Previous Version

TB-X705F_S200095_190528_ROW:

TB-X705F_S210068_190904_ROW:

TB-X705F_S210120_191029_ROW:
    Full Stock ROM

TB-X705F_S210135_191212_ROW:
    Full Stock ROM

TB-X705F_S210137_200407_ROW:

TB-X705F_S210154_200910_ROW:

TB-X705F_S210164_201119_ROW:

TB-X705F_S210214_220725_ROW: <=== LATEST VERSION
    Full Stock ROM

MISC HELPFUL LINKS

Latest Magisk Releases: LINK
    Latest TWRP Custom Recovery the P10: LINK *** Many Thanks to @clsA and @drmarble ***
    QComDLoader Tool v1.06 with Settings Preconfigured: LINK
    SEE ATTACHED QUICK REFERENCE IMAGE FOR THE QCOMDLOADER TOOL.
    QComDLoader Tool Info: You can use this tool to perform a rescue without the LMSA tool. I zipped up the tool so that it is pre-configured with the proper settings. It should work with the P10 and the M10. All you have to do is tell the tool where you have unzipped the full stock ROM to. Then in order to actually perform the flash operation, tell QComDLoader tool to start listening for connections. With the tablet powered off, press volume down and simply plug in the USB cable. Keep volume down pressed for about five or six seconds until you see the red LED blink a couple times. Then just let it sit there. It will appear to be doing nothing for a couple minutes. And then all of a sudden the tool will show that it is connected and will start the flash process.
    I built another 'TWRP for the P10 X705F. This one has the correct build fingerprint to flash the new update.
    TWRP-3.3.1-TB-X705F_USR_S210120_191029.img
    With this you should be able to install the update.zip that came out this month. I let my tablet download the update but not install it. The zip is located at: /data/data/com.lenovo.ota/fileslenovoota/*.zip
    I have uploaded my version and you can get it here: c70574e81a1c6dcbb0d5e18c83b6a5a9_lenovoota.zip
    As yet, I have not installed it. I have the flu and don't want to mess up my comic book graphic novel reader. I expect that you need to fastboot flash the stock bootimage (available on page 10 of this thread), reboot to recovery (vol+ and vol- and power, all three at the same time until twrp starts) and install the update. I tried installing the original image to the boot sector using twrp's install .img function and the recovery won't install and complains about the wrong boot image. I hope that fastboot flashing will fix that. I am currently too ill to figure it out.
    TWRP 3.3.1-0 TB-X705F Lenovo Smart Tab P10

First off big thanks to @Yahoo Mike and @turboperson123 and @Chaser42 for all the Help and work you have done.

This is TWRP 33.1-0 for the TB-X705F

I used the twrp port from stock recovery method here > https://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-porting-twrp-source-t3843473
    Along with Yahoo Mike's twrp_x605f.img as the source.

Instructions:

Unlocking the bootloader
    (This will Wipe your Tablet / Backup everything to your PC first, also note what version firmware is on your tab)
    You need to have adb and fastboot installed on your PC
    and enable developer options on the tablet, then go to developer options / enable usb debugging and enable oem unlocking Now connect the Tablet to the PC (Note: when you connect the tablet to pc with usb cable you will see usb debugging authorizations, click on allow always to make the device work with adb)
    now type adb reboot bootloader
    once the tablet is in fastboot type
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    after its done use fastboot reboot

Flashing TWRP
    After you have setup your Tablet again (skip all if your going to format data later in the next section), and just enable developer options on the tablet, then go to developer options / enable usb debugging and enable oem unlocking. Now download TWRP and put it with your adb and fastboot files

On the PC open the command from adb folder again and do the following commands
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP_P10_x705f.img
    fastboot reboot

Correction:
    reboot into recovery using power + Volume up and down right after flashing TWRP, or it gets overwritten by the stock recovery

This takes you to TWRP - on the first screen choose Keep System Read Only
    Congratulations you now have TWRP

At this point you need to Flash Magisk.zip
    then Reboot Recovery and do a Full Backup of all partitions.

Optional
    Your internal storage will not be available in TWRP until you choose Wipe / format data / Type - Yes
    for the change's to stick you'll need to flash the newest Disable-dm-verity-forceencryption.zip - read more and download it here
    Thanks go to @Zackptg5

Its also Very Important that you have a Stock backup of System_image and Vendor_image and boot.img so you can take any future OTA that come along.

Now you can reboot system / give it time you just wiped data and it takes a few to rebuild it

If you get stuck you can use these key combo's to get back to TWRP and the bootloader
    Volume Down + Power = fastboot mode
    Volume Up + Volume Down + Power = recovery mode
    Volume Up + Power = EDL (Rescue mode)

Downloads

TWRP_P10_x705f.img > https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=303337
    Or here > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PYY20GgP3lbI8okV085UOh9JoYSMLPPs

Or all my P10 files > https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=303336

Notes
    Because I used Yahoo Mikes source we still don't have /data Decryption/Encryption, the only way to use the Internal sd in TWRP is to format data as I described above.

If for any reason your tablet boots to a black screen or just sits on the lenovo screen for a long time you can always reboot to TWRP
    and flash the patched_boot.img again or restore your backup and flash magisk again.

I keep the following files on my external_sdcard at all times :
    Magisk-v20.1.zip
    Magisk-uninstaller-20191102.zip
    The current Stock and Patched boot.img
    TWRP_P10_x705f.img
    Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_12.18.2019.zip
    and my original TWRP Backup + any newer backups
    These files should get you out of any mess you may run into

That's all for now ...Enjoy
    Success. After an enormous amount of research and trial and error, I was able to create the new bootloader image by manually applying boot.img.p with the Android applypatch tool. Many thanks to @acwodc for recommending this method. I pulled an all nighter and took another HARD look into making applypatch work. I finally found that the tool was modified by Google in 2017 so that it no longer works with files. You can only patch the memory segments directly. Precompiled binaries of older versions of the applypatch tool don't seem to exist anywhere for download. So I had an idea. I dusted off an older Android device that runs Marshmallow. I found the pre 2017 version of the applypatch tool on that device. Sure enough, that version of the tool works with files! After that, it didn't take long for me to create the shiny new boot.img file for OTA update #3.

Here are links to the new bootloader image along with the bootloader image prepatched with Magisk:

boot-S210068_190904.img
    boot_magisk_patched-S210068_190904.img

While the prepatched bootloader is the important file to have now to have root with the newest update, the original bootloader is important to have as you will have to flash that version in order to apply any additional OTA updates.

Enjoy!

Chaser
    In case anyone still uses this tablet... There is new version;

Original Boot Image: boot-TB-X705F_S210240_220725_ROW.img
    Magisk 26.4 Patched Boot Image: magisk_patched-boot-TB-X705F_S210240_220725_ROW.img