How to use Root Explorer

Search This thread

ejdavis72

Jan 8, 2009
Root explorer is pretty straight forward but can be confusing for some people who have never used it before. I have made this list based on the most commonly questions I have read about how to use Rood Explorer. I hope this answers your questions but if it doesn't, post the question and I'm sure I or someone will help you out.

When it won't let you manipulate a file ("this file system is read only") just touch the white button on the top that says "mount r/w" :D

When you long press files and folders for the sub menu, you can

Extract all
Delete
Rename
Copy
Move
Change Permissions
Properties
Add Bookmark
Send
View as text
Open in text editor
Zip a file
Create Tar
Change owner

You can also press menu for

New folder
Preferences
Bookmarks
Search
Muli-select
more gives you
Home
Refresh
New file
About
Exit

This program pretty much explains itself so just give it a little time and mess with it for a bit.

Last edited:

Gahh Its Lee

Oct 2, 2010
The only times I've ever been confused was when trying to edit something but I was too far into a folder to have the R/W option at the top

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App

lilt3kay

Apr 7, 2011
So say I wanted to use root explorer in order to do the webtop mod.....how should I come about doing that? Sorry im a newb....ive tried countless times to get this working but failed everytime...i also understand that they have a forum dedicated to the webtop mod but they never really gave detailed instructions.....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Jun 15, 2010
What I was wondering is how can I install a system app? I know I can move them into system, but how can I install them? Do I have to flash a zip or put them in the rom zip and flash that?

i8qbert

Mar 5, 2011
What I was wondering is how can I install a system app? I know I can move them into system, but how can I install them? Do I have to flash a zip or put them in the rom zip and flash that?

You will need the .apk file for the app you want to install. Put it on your sd card. Then Just copy the .apk file in the system/app folder. you will need to hit the R/W button up top in order to copy/ paste it there. After that it will show up in your app drawer.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
You will need the .apk file for the app you want to install. Put it on your sd card. Then Just copy the .apk file in the system/app folder. you will need to hit the R/W button up top in order to copy/ paste it there. After that it will show up in your app drawer.
This reply is actually incomplete.

Those are the first steps necessary, but the most important step is, once the file has been successfully copied, to long-press on the file (or press "Menu" while the file is highlighted), and choose "Permissions". A series of checkboxes will appear. The Permissions will need to be set to match the other files in /system/app, which will be rw-r--r--. That is, all of the first column boxes should be checked, and the top checkbox in the second column. Any other checkboxes should be unchecked. Once that's done, press "OK", and it will confirm the permissions have changed. The Permissions on the file you copied over should now match the other files in the folder. THEN, after you reboot, the app should appear in your app drawer :D.

Reactions: Maruzziello

Testingchip

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, you can remove anything. Just make sure you Really want it gone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

i8qbert

Mar 5, 2011

Those are the first steps necessary, but the most important step is, once the file has been successfully copied, to long-press on the file (or press "Menu" while the file is highlighted), and choose "Permissions". A series of checkboxes will appear. The Permissions will need to be set to match the other files in /system/app, which will be rw-r--r--. That is, all of the first column boxes should be checked, and the top checkbox in the second column. Any other checkboxes should be unchecked. Once that's done, press "OK", and it will confirm the permissions have changed. The Permissions on the file you copied over should now match the other files in the folder. THEN, after you reboot, the app should appear in your app drawer :D.
Here, maybe this helps..
uploadfromtaptalk1309104939539.jpg

Sent from somewhere...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The R/W button, Menu button, and long presses are your friend. :)