ZTE Grand SII LTE (S291) - ROOT , RECOVERY, install GApps

Search This thread

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Hi, folks
I want show you a tutorial how to easy do ROOT and install RECOVERY and then gapps , with a simple tool.

The tool is in Chinese, but you need only to click few times.

Let’s start:

1. Plug your phone to your PC and on the phone choose the option Install driver:

usb.png

2. Then install the drivers to your PC.
3. Now on your phone go to setting/ developer options and choose the option USB debugging on.

debug.png

4.Download the ROOT TOOL from here: http://d-h.st/8Ma
5.Unpack it and run it with administrator rights.
6.Make sure your phone is connected and you have at least 20% battery, Click on the first option on the right site.

ROOT.png

you will see this massage don’t click on anything
massage1.png

7. Now wait , your phone will restart and you should see the SUper user app in your apps.
supersu.jpg

In the tool click on OK
Bez_n_zvu.png

8.Lets continue with the RECOVERY installation. Click on the second option:
RECOVERY.png

9. The same massages will appear ,do the same like on the earlier steps , just wait...
10. Your phone should now boot into recovery , click on the first option - this will reboot your phone

IMG_0127.jpg

11. If you want google apps continue. Download gapps from here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip
12. Put the zip into the root of internal memory.
13. Turn your phone off and enter the recovery by holding volume up + power button until the phone vibrates , then release the power button.
14. You are in recovery now , go to the second option , than choose the first option , select your file , than choose the first option, this will install the google apps.
15. Now leave the recovery.

16. ALL done :)
I wish you luck :)

all credist go to myzte.cn

EDIT: REUPLOADED SCREENSHOTS

Last edited:

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
good,thanks:)

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using XDA Free mobile app

You are welcome :)

BTW , when the next update is out version B07/B08 (i hope it is the big 4.4 update) , i will modify the ROM- with deleting the chinese apps , replacing chinese email , gallery, camera apps to original google one. So mostly stock :)

5KKKKK

Nov 23, 2013
Guangzhou
I like this phone,but the main problem is it has few ROMs,it seems that zte is not very popular

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using XDA Free mobile app

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
Danger ahead

Hello everybody,

I wanted to warn you, I followed this guide and after doing the root procedure my phone is bricked DEAD.

Won't turn on, won't do anything, not even charghing when power plug is connected, I just killed my phone after about 30 minutes of ownership. :/

PLEASE WAIT A LITTLE BIT BEFORE DOING THIS.

My phone is a grey ZTE Grand S II (NBA Edition, from what I see on the box...).

Does anybody here have an idea HOW I could get this back from the dead? :angel:

*** UPDATE ***

I was able to make it work!! Sorry for sounding so alarmed before... I was in panic mode.

If this doesn't work at first please try it on another PC, or switch USB port, and make yourself a big favor by using this:

http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/

to install your Android ADB driver.

The ZTE Grand S II (S291) is a GREAT handset and I hope the devs get interested because it's one of the BEST prcie/value ratio around...

Got it for 280 € on Aliexpress...

Thank You.

S.

Last edited:
Reactions: psolord

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Hello everybody,

I wanted to warn you, I followed this guide and after doing the root procedure my phone is bricked DEAD.

Won't turn on, won't do anything, not even charghing when power plug is connected, I just killed my phone after about 30 minutes of ownership. :/

Thank You.

S.

Oh , that's not good , but no one bricked the phone to time...
But please look at the titile, have you the ZTE GRAND SII (s251) or the ZTE GRAND SII LTE (s291) because they're completely different phones.

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
Difference?

Hello Jozco,

I don't know, but I finally managed to get it back from the dead, by removing the battery and re-connecting it to the power plug, I can now turn it on again...

In About phone under model number it says ZTE S291.

I found something strange, when I issue a "adb reboot bootloader" command the phone goes off and dead, I have to detach the battery to be able to turn it on again... any ideas?

The phone has a NBA logo on the box, a gray cover, and I got it here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6097854185.html

Do you have any clues, I'm going crazy... :eek:

THANKS!

S.

Oh , that's not good , but no one bricked the phone to time...
But please look at the titile, have you the ZTE GRAND SII (s251) or the ZTE GRAND SII LTE (s291) because they're completely different phones.

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Hello Jozco,

I don't know, but I finally managed to get it back from the dead, by removing the battery and re-connecting it to the power plug, I can now turn it on again...

In About phone under model number it says ZTE S291.

I found something strange, when I issue a "adb reboot bootloader" command the phone goes off and dead, I have to detach the battery to be able to turn it on again... any ideas?

The phone has a NBA logo on the box, a gray cover, and I got it here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6097854185.html

Do you have any clues, I'm going crazy... :eek:

THANKS!

S.

Oh so , that’s seems to be only a ADB driver problem, had it also , because i had a lot of phones to flash , my drivers were mixed up...
just download this: http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/
install it , open it , plug your phone to the pc , you will see ZTE Handset ADB Interface click on it and under Android ADB driver click install , this will install the universal ADB driver it should work.

I hope we get your phone rooted ;)

Last edited:

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
I did the steps you suggested but that didn't change anything :(

The driver situation is ok, as you can see from the screenshot, yet, it WON'T reboot in the bootloader.

Whenever I issue a "adb reboot bootloader" it simply dies... and I have to remove battery.

Obviously I can't make fastboot work this way, therefore I can't move further, any tips?

Thank You!

S.

---

Oh so , that’s seems to be only a ADB driver problem, had it also , because i had a lot of phones to flash , my drivers were mixed up...
just download this: http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/
install it , open it , plug your phone to the pc , you will see ZTE Handset ADB Interface click on it and under Android ADB driver click install , this will install the universal ADB driver it should work.

I hope we get your phone rooted ;)

Attachments

• ZTE.jpg
    ZTE.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 672

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
I did the steps you suggested but that didn't change anything :(

The driver situation is ok, as you can see from the screenshot, yet, it WON'T reboot in the bootloader.

Whenever I issue a "adb reboot bootloader" it simply dies... and I have to remove battery.

Obviously I can't make fastboot work this way, therefore I can't move further, any tips?

Thank You!

S.

---

I mean this:
7b78fe15_o.png

BTW did you checked USB debbuging , when you have connected your phone in the connection type have you checked Connect to PC software
?

Last edited:

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
I mean this:
7b78fe15_o.png

BTW did you checked USB debbuging , when you have connected your phone in the connection type have you checked Connect to PC software
?

Yes, that's what I did! Then the software asked me to replace adb_usb.ini and perform adb kill-server, which I did...

C:\Windows\system32>adb kill-server

C:\Windows\system32>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
d70ec4e0 device

I can confirm USB debugging is enabled and my connection mode is "Connect to PC software".

I checked and re-did everything twice and still, adb reboot bootloader makes my phone die: screen black, no lights and won't even turn on unless I remove the battery...

If I'm doing something wrong, I really don't know what it is :(

Ideas?

S.

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Yes, that's what I did! Then the software asked me to replace adb_usb.ini and perform adb kill-server, which I did...

List of devices attached
d70ec4e0 device

I can confirm USB debugging is enabled and my connection mode is "Connect to PC software".

I checked and re-did everything twice and still, adb reboot bootloader makes my phone die: screen black, no lights and won't even turn on unless I remove the battery...

Ideas?

S.

I really don´t know :/ , when you can try it on another PC...

Reactions: Simmessa

Simmessa

May 23, 2010

Later today I'll do another attempt with another PC I have at home, but I tend to believe this is related to the ZTE device itself, it's actually very strange that the bootloader is not responding, could it be faulty or simply that the bootloader has been wiped in some way?

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense since the phone itself is booting into ZTE Android just fine... but I'm left wondering, if things continue this way I'm gonna return it and ask my money back...

I'll let you know as soon as I can do some more testing, Thanks a lot for now!

S.

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
no way...

Later today I'll do another attempt with another PC I have at home, but I tend to believe this is related to the ZTE device itself, it's actually very strange that the bootloader is not responding, could it be faulty or simply that the bootloader has been wiped in some way?

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense since the phone itself is booting into ZTE Android just fine... but I'm left wondering, if things continue this way I'm gonna return it and ask my money back...

I'll let you know as soon as I can do some more testing, Thanks a lot for now!

S.

I tried again, from another PC with windows 7 32bit but same story again... after reboot it's dead and I must do the battery trick.

Here's my plan:

On my phone there's OS v B04 (please see screenshot)

So I'm planning to install v B06 which I got from ZTE support website...

What do you think? I'm hoping this will fix my broken bootloader!

Thanks!

S.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-27-20-21-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-20-21-24.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 265

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
I tried again, from another PC with windows 7 32bit but same story again... after reboot it's dead and I must do the battery trick.

Here's my plan:

On my phone there's OS v B04 (please see screenshot)

So I'm planning to install v B06 which I got from ZTE support website...

What do you think? I'm hoping this will fix my broken bootloader!

Thanks!

S.

This is the exact file (ROM) I plan to flash on my device, should I do it?

(please see attach).

Thanks!

S.

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
This is the exact file (ROM) I plan to flash on my device, should I do it?

(please see attach).

Thanks!

S.

LATEST update:

I don't know why but I re-did the whole procedure with the second PC and WITHOUT explanation this time it worked like a charme... SORRY for wasting your time, but I'm not even sure WHY this time it worked... the only thing I did was switching a couple of usb ports and using the driver supplied by USBdrivertool (The link can found above in this thread)

So, if you have problems with this procedure PLEASE KEEP THE FAITH and you'll eventually do it!

THANK YOU everybody and especially jozco313 for the help and assistance!

S.

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
LATEST update:

I don't know why but I re-did the whole procedure with the second PC and WITHOUT explanation this time it worked like a charme... SORRY for wasting your time, but I'm not even sure WHY this time it worked... the only thing I did was switching a couple of usb ports and using the driver supplied by USBdrivertool (The link can found above in this thread)

So, if you have problems with this procedure PLEASE KEEP THE FAITH and you'll eventually do it!

THANK YOU everybody and especially jozco313 for the help and assistance!

S.

You are welcome :) I help when i can.
But i told you it can’t be the bootloader , because without it would be the device totally broken , you wouldn’t be able to turn on your phone.
BTW you can Update/Edit your first post in this thread , you know some people maybe get scared of buying this phone , and remember when the number of users will raise the development will be also better.

Simmessa

May 23, 2010
You are welcome :) I help when i can.
But i told you it can’t be the bootloader , because without it would be the device totally broken , you wouldn’t be able to turn on your phone.
BTW you can Update/Edit your first post in this thread , you know some people maybe get scared of buying this phone , and remember when the number of users will raise the development will be also better.

Hi Jozco,

sure you're right, I edited my post 'cause all is doing good now, this phone blows my mind!

The only issue I'm having is that Google Sync isn't updating my contacts... so I had to migrate them manually from my old phone, is it like that for you?

Thanks!

S.

jozco313

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Hi Jozco,

sure you're right, I edited my post 'cause all is doing good now, this phone blows my mind!

The only issue I'm having is that Google Sync isn't updating my contacts... so I had to migrate them manually from my old phone, is it like that for you?

Thanks!

S.

I really don´t know but i think yes i had duplicite contacts , because i updated from .vcf file from my old phone.
BTW you are right the phone is just great :eek:

Reactions: raffael90

MCarek

May 9, 2010
Prague
ROOT

Hi, can help me anyone? I can´t provide root because the file for rooting seems to be damaged. I download ok, but unpacking is not possible. It appears note about corrupt or damaged file. Is it possible to download from different link? Thanks for help and answer

It´s ok now. Root was success :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, folks
    I want show you a tutorial how to easy do ROOT and install RECOVERY and then gapps , with a simple tool.

The tool is in Chinese, but you need only to click few times.

Let’s start:

1. Plug your phone to your PC and on the phone choose the option Install driver:

usb.png

2. Then install the drivers to your PC.
    3. Now on your phone go to setting/ developer options and choose the option USB debugging on.

debug.png

4.Download the ROOT TOOL from here: http://d-h.st/8Ma
    5.Unpack it and run it with administrator rights.
    6.Make sure your phone is connected and you have at least 20% battery, Click on the first option on the right site.

ROOT.png

you will see this massage don’t click on anything
    massage1.png

7. Now wait , your phone will restart and you should see the SUper user app in your apps.
    supersu.jpg

In the tool click on OK
    Bez_n_zvu.png

8.Lets continue with the RECOVERY installation. Click on the second option:
    RECOVERY.png

9. The same massages will appear ,do the same like on the earlier steps , just wait...
    10. Your phone should now boot into recovery , click on the first option - this will reboot your phone

IMG_0127.jpg

11. If you want google apps continue. Download gapps from here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip
    12. Put the zip into the root of internal memory.
    13. Turn your phone off and enter the recovery by holding volume up + power button until the phone vibrates , then release the power button.
    14. You are in recovery now , go to the second option , than choose the first option , select your file , than choose the first option, this will install the google apps.
    15. Now leave the recovery.

16. ALL done :)
    I wish you luck :)

all credist go to myzte.cn

EDIT: REUPLOADED SCREENSHOTS
    Danger ahead

Hello everybody,

*** UPDATE ***

I was able to make it work!! Sorry for sounding so alarmed before... I was in panic mode.

If this doesn't work at first please try it on another PC, or switch USB port, and make yourself a big favor by using this:

http://visualgdb.com/UsbDriverTool/

to install your Android ADB driver.

The ZTE Grand S II (S291) is a GREAT handset and I hope the devs get interested because it's one of the BEST prcie/value ratio around...

Got it for 280 € on Aliexpress...

Thank You.

S.

List of devices attached
    d70ec4e0 device

Ideas?

S.

Hi Jozco,

Thanks!

S.

I really don´t know but i think yes i had duplicite contacts , because i updated from .vcf file from my old phone.
    BTW you are right the phone is just great :eek:
    I solve the problem ! When my phone shut off i goes to windows driver and install the driver adb again ! You have to do that two times, before lauch "中兴天机S2一键ROOT_Recovery" and when you phone shut off.