[DRIVER PACK] Easy USB ADB Installer for Windows (32/64 bit)

Search This thread

miss_october

Feb 13, 2011
Sorry for my misunderstanding... have you unchecked... exited and gone back in to check it?

yes I have , but I will give it another go just for the sake of trying. will i need to go and uninstall and reinstall drivers again after doing this ?

//edit. i did it again. still getting a blank when it returns devices in cmd. im sure there has got to be something so simple to fix this. but for the life of me i cant figure it out would anyone be able to do a team viewer session to help me out?

Last edited:

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
yes I have , but I will give it another go just for the sake of trying. will i need to go and uninstall and reinstall drivers again after doing this ?

//edit. i did it again. still getting a blank when it returns devices in cmd. im sure there has got to be something so simple to fix this. but for the life of me i cant figure it out would anyone be able to do a team viewer session to help me out?

I'm off work tomorrow/today (Saturday)... I'll gladly help ya out... will pm ya my phone number too... call if you're in the states... no problem.

mrWax

Jan 31, 2012
Nook simple touch

Hi! I am trying to instal adb access for Nook Simple Touch on Win XP SP2. I have problem, when setting usb drivers system wont "find" android_winusb.inf althought I specificali choose proper directory C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver

So I made changes to the file:
I have rewritten:

Code:
;B & N Nook Color
%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01

into:

Code:
;B & N Nook Touch
%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0003
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0003&MI_01

It seems to work for me now.

Last edited:

TLRH

Jan 10, 2017
Upgrading NC's and need ADB access. The link is dead. Do you have the utility archived anywhere else I can reach? About Us and our venture:

We are a two person venture. Our focus is R3 (Recovery, Rebuild, Reuse). We rebuild Tablets/Laptops to gift to needy children & the disabled via NPO's (Non-Profit Org's); >2800 gifted in 15 years. Our hope is to make a positive difference for those in need. My disabled dragon son coordinates, QC tests, ships our devices through NPO's to the needy, and does the difficult work of managing our small scale profit center (See below).

I fund this work with my veteran's pension + working capital from sales of high-end tablets in our small scale profit center. This model fits "Capitalism for a Cause;" a concept I envisioned in the 90's, wherein a profit center funds its Not-4-Profit partner; creating a symmetry of self-reliance, and a symbol of collaboration.

OTPC - One Tablet Per Child (WmJR - AKA: The Little Red Hen, believed to be an old Russian fable)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy everyone!

Without further ado, I humbly present my gift to the community (and the #nookcolor irc channel :) )

This collection of scripts will automagically install:
    • NookColor USB ADB Drivers
    • The necessary adb_usb.ini file for adb to recognize the NookColor
    • A stripped-down copy of the Android SDK, with just the requirements for adb.exe
    • adb.exe is added to your %PATH% variable.

Tested on Windows 7 32/64, Windows Vista 32, Windows XP SP2/SP3

Now I realize not everyone wants the do-all end-all script, so there's two versions: one that contains the drivers AND a cut down Android SDK, or the version that only installs the ADB driver and the proper adb_usb.ini file.

Instructions for use with combo pack (please read!):
    1. Download the combo pack
    2. With your NookColor unplugged from your PC, run the nookcolor-easyADB.exe file and allow it to extract to c:\
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait until you see "All done!"
    4. Plug in your NookColor, tell Windows not to use Windows Update, and let it search your computer for the proper drivers.

Once the package has finished installing, and the drivers are installed, you can just open a command prompt window and type:
    Code:
    adb devices
    If you see your device's serial number listed, you're good to go!

Instructions for the driver-only pack:
    1. Download the driver-only pack
    2. Extract it somewhere on your PC (may I recommend c:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver ?)
    3. Run install.exe in the extracted folder and follow the onscreen prompts.

For those of you that would like, the source of the driver installer is contained in both downloads as install.au3. Driver installation is accomplished using dpinst.exe from the Windows Driver Development Kit.

Also, to avoid any confusion, I am also known as IOMonster on IRC.

Okay now for the good stuff...

DOWNLOADS:

Update: 0.2 version has been released. Should fix CPU architecture errors when installing. I have also changed the download protection on my server, you should be able to use download managers now.. just keep it to a sane number of concurrent downloads by IP.

Troubleshooting:
    1. Make sure you're rooted
      Sounds dumb, but trust me, it's happened.
    2. Make sure you haven't used ADBWireless and forgotten to disable it
      Guilty here. I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why it didn't work on one of my Nooks until I realized that I had left ADBWireless on.
    3. Check device manager for a "Nook" device, you may just have to do an "update driver" on it
      Just like it says, check for any devices labeled "Nook" or "USB Composite Device" with a VID of 2080
    4. Uninstall ALL Nook-related devices in device manager
      Check device manager for any USB devices (usually USB Composite Device or USB Mass Storage) with a VID of 2080 and PID of 0002, uninstall 'em and unplug/replug your Nook.

Please note that this is a VERY initial build. It may not work for you under some circumstances, but on the few machines I've tried it on, it seemed to work for me. If you encounter any weird bugs, please let me know- I'd love to know so I can fix it.

(As a side note, I really need to standardize my nomenclature for my driver pack..)
    it's a driver issue, don't install from windows update

Here's how I got adb to work on my Win 7 64-bit system, hope it helps you guys out.

First, let me say thanks to Sempai67, his suggestion gave me the inspiration to work on the problem some more. Although deleting the .android folder didn't fix my problem, it was during this troubleshooting session that I stumbled on the answer.

The key is in thecubed's first post, step 4 he says not to let windows update download the latest driver and to search the system instead. I was never prompted for it, my system was set to automatically download from windows update. During this round of troubleshooting, I noticed the nook 'searching for the latest driver on windows update' - luckily, my laptop was connected via ethernet cable, not wireless, so i quickly yanked the cable which resulted in 'no device driver found.' In device manager, I selected to update the nook driver and pointed it at the \android-sdk-windows\usb-driver folder, was warned that the driver wasn't signed and bam, I had a shiny new android device in device manager. The thing is, I don't know how I 'uninstalled' the nook driver because during my troubleshooting sessions earlier today I did try uninstalling, but it seems I only uninstalled the mass storage device drivers. If it helps, there was a google driver I uninstalled under programs and features in control panel, it hasn't returned since I got adb working.

Also, to disable the automatic downloading of drivers from windows update, go to system in control panel, then select advanced system settings, then the hardware tab, then device installation settings. In there you'll probably find your system is set to "Yes", instead, select "No, let me choose what to do" and there are a few sub-buttons to select, either choose "Never install driver software from Windows Update" or "Install driver software from Windows Update if it is not found on my computer." Either setting should result in a prompt at which point you can point the installer at the \android-sdk-windows\usb-driver folder.

I hope that helps you guys out, and thanks for everyone's input, I'm on to fix the ad-hoc wifi networking. Good luck, and happy rooting!
    I've tried this (and several other methods ) to get my NC to be seen by ADB. My EVO ADB works fine.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled from device manager many times. Your scripts (tried them both) finish without error, but ADB devices produces an empty list.
    I used autonooter, have superuser and root explorer working fine. I wanted to ADB into my nook to solve some problems I'm having with multi touch, the market, and the slide it keyboard not working correctly.
    I'm running a 32bit Win7 system, and no matter what I do, MyNOOKcolor always shows up under portable devices with a Wpdfs.dll driver. When I try to update the driver, 'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.' and will not let me proceed. It's using WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.
    At this point I'm considering renaming the WPDfs.dll and WUDFRd.sys in my Windows directory and just hoping that no other device is using them, but I'm a little hesitant to mess with my windows directory because then the registry would be pointing at non-existent files.
    I guess I could use a little guidance here.

I was having the exact same issue. Here's what I did to finally get the driver to reinstall.
    1. Changed the Device Installation Settings (Select 'No, let me choose what to do' & then 'Never install driver software from Windows Update')
    2. Rebooted my computer.
    3. Connected my Nook via USB.
    4. Opened Device Manager.
    5. **Deleted the driver for 'USB Mass Storage Device' with VID_2080 found under Universal Serial Bus controllers (this what tripped me up!) ***There might be several USB Mass Storage Device, so to find the one with VID_2080, to find the VID, double click on a USB Mass Storage Device, click on the 'Details' tab, in Property drop down select 'Hardware Ids'. ***
    6. Click on 'Action' and 'Scan for hardware changes'
    7. My Nook then showed up in the Device Manager with the yellow exclamation icon. Right click and choose 'Update Driver Software'
    8. Choose 'Browse my computer...'
    9. Select the drivers from 'c:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver\' folder
    10. Yay! My Nook shows up in Device Manager as 'Android Phone' and ADB works! :)

I am sure these are the exact same instructions that others have posted, but I had a hard time with #5. I wasn't finding and deleting the right drivers. Hope this helps someone else. :)
    Windows 7

gr8sk8, make sure you don't already have a .android folder in 'C:\Users\gr8sk8t' (or whatever yours is). I had the same problem. Removing that .android folder and then walking through the instructions again took care of it.
    Okay, just got back from a quick road trip, and it appears that some people are having issues with the drivers still...

Here's my troubleshooter:
    1. Make sure you're rooted
      Sounds dumb, but trust me, it's happened.
    2. Make sure you haven't used ADBWireless and forgotten to disable it
      Guilty here. I spent a good half hour trying to figure out why it didn't work on one of my Nooks until I realized that I had left ADBWireless on.
    3. Check device manager for a "Nook" device, you may just have to do an "update driver" on it
      Just like it says, check for any devices labeled "Nook" or "USB Composite Device" with a VID of 2080
    4. Uninstall ALL Nook-related devices in device manager
      Check device manager for any USB devices (usually USB Composite Device or USB Mass Storage) with a VID of 2080 and PID of 0002, uninstall 'em and unplug/replug your Nook.

Those instructions should solve most issues, except for the .android folder issue. My script is supposed to overwrite any files in c:\users\...\.android\, so that shouldn't be an issue, but I suppose like the architecture problem earlier, I'm not a perfect coder :)

Thanks for all the responses so far, it seems (by sheer download count!) that this utility is useful. I'm glad to be of help!