Activesync workoround via wlan / wifi sync

Search This thread

saqer

Sep 18, 2006
I'm rather surprised not to have seen third party support step up to fill in Activesync's worthless inability to sync over wifi or wlan. It would be very nice to revive this forgotten feature. Don't you people remember the uproar it caused when MS removed it?

Anyhow, I'm almost certain there's a work-around. Has anyone seen or heard anything in development?

Why revive this feature?

1. For the sheer convenience of not having to go through exchange servers or third party services especially when they may not be available to you

2. To sync user specific software that's otherwise not syncable OTA

3. Greater freedom share files over a wlan/wifi connection especially with these new and faster broadband networks (ev-do, etc)

4. Not to have to make special trips to your workstation just to sync..

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
I've found a workaround - sorry it's in German - here:
http://www.mypocketpc.ch/Workshops/15899.aspx

But it seems that since ActiveSync 4.5 you need to configure a DOMAIN on the pocketPC, not only login and password.

Does anybody know how to set something like a "pseudo domain" or if the PC has a "default domain", if no domain is set?

I will try to translate the workaround now:

In earlier versions of ActiveSync WLAN Sync was possible (last known version 3.8), since version 4.x it was removed..

You can do a remote WLAN Sync as followed:

Start ActiveSync on the PocketPC. Go to Options > Server OR Configure Server [depends on your ActiveSync Version]

Enter the IP of the Windows PC. [if you don't know do: Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all ]
Enter Login and Password which are the same as on your Windows PC. [SSL I think should be deactivated]

IN v4.5 YOU HAVE A PROBLEM HERE: if you don't enter a DOMAIN, the configuration wizard doesn't continue :( IF YOU HAVE LOWER VERSION PLEASE TELL WHETHER YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY A DOMAIN

Click Next > Next > Finished.

Now you can MAYBE [see the DOMAIN problem] sync via WLAN again..

If anyone has an idea how to workaround the MUST-SPECIFY-A-DOMAIN problem please tell, I think I am not the only one who wants WLAN Sync back!

Last edited:

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
NO and YES!

YES: Microsoft WANTS that you use an Exchange Server, therefore they have removed support for syncing via WLAN since v4.x

NO: The posted workaround doesn't need an Exchange Server running!! Instead you are "simulating" that you have one. Earlier this Workaround seem to have worked, but since ActiveSync v4.5 it seems you NEED to specify a DOMAIN of your PC.. maybe just another hurd only!

So, the problem again: since you need to specify a DOMAIN of your PC now, is there a possibility to workaround this? Maybe via Registry or setting up a "Pseudo Domain" ? This MUST-HAVE-SPECIFIED-A-DOMAIN seems now to be the only problem, unfortunately you cannot leave the domain field empty.. but the Handheld tries to connect the PC via WLAN (...WOW! Just one step away from the Solution!!?...), but that fails due the DOMAIN problem.. (most PC are only in a workgroup, and not in a domain..)

Maybe we are only one step away from a working solution!

Last edited:

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
You said it - the setup wizard seems to be the only hurd.

Hey, great idea. Where to find this config file?
I searched for it on PC and PPC, but found only binary files..
Hope you have success!

Houser

Dec 7, 2005
Dortmund
Here is a tool I have written to configure ActiveSync Settings
without ActiveSync wizard.
You can test it if you want.

Houser

Attachments

• ActiveSyncConfigTool.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 596

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
Thx. I launched your tool and entered IP + Login + Pass, activated e.g. Tasks to synchronize, and deactivated SSL, and clicked Save.

Then I launched ActiveSync on the PPC (Trinity HTC P3600).. now there comes a screen:

Microsoft Exchange:

Result: Your account information could not be detected. Choose configure Server on the ActiveSync menu to check your Exchange Server credentials.

Support Code is: 0x85002009

Houser

Dec 7, 2005
Dortmund
Hmmm maybe because the domain entry is left empty?
What happens if you enter some characters for the domain?

Houser

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
If I enter a domain it tries longer to sync on the PPC - instead throwing at once the message above - the circling arrows animates for 3 seconds, then it ends ups with:

Waiting for network..

Hm, maybe the ActiveSync software on the PPC checks for the domain entry :( But.. maybe this check can be removed ;)

Where is the configuration saved? To a file (which one) or to registry (which branch)?

Houser

Dec 7, 2005
Dortmund
I do not know where the config is saved. In WM2003 it was in the registry
but in WM5 that was removed and stored in some internal database
I think.

Houser

Airport1

Jun 10, 2007
As you speak German, maybe this could be a workaround for the domain problem:

http://www.weyo.de/board/?n=320745&bn=21

I mean, maybe it's possible to enter a Pseudo Domain in the Registry on the PPC under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\\\Comm\\\\Tcpip\\\\Hosts\\\\

And entering this Pseudo Domain as Domain in the ActiveSync Setup..

But what to enter in the Registry? The branch is currently empty, so no example exists ;)

Houser

Dec 7, 2005
Dortmund
ActiveSync uses the domain only for authentication.
The server name (DNS name) or IP is used for the connection.
In the registry you can enter Host names with IP adresses
that has nothing to do with domain name.
ActiveSync uses HTTP oder HTTPS (TCP/IP port 80 or 443) when
you configure a server in ActiveSync.
ActiveSync on your deskstop PC does not listen on this TCP ports
so you cannot connect.

Houser

freeyayo50

Aug 25, 2006
NY
ActiveSync uses the domain only for authentication.
The server name (DNS name) or IP is used for the connection.
In the registry you can enter Host names with IP adresses
that has nothing to do with domain name.
ActiveSync uses HTTP oder HTTPS (TCP/IP port 80 or 443) when
you configure a server in ActiveSync.
ActiveSync on your deskstop PC does not listen on this TCP ports
so you cannot connect.

Houser

So what you are saying is, that there is no way to sync over wifi unless you have an exchange server?

Houser

Dec 7, 2005
Dortmund
So what you are saying is, that there is no way to sync over wifi unless you have an exchange server?

Yes this is the only way I have done it so far.
But may be there is another solution out there to do this
with Outlook on your desktop but I currently do not know
how that can work.
I will do some tests today and let you know about the results.

Houser

sopho

Jun 26, 2007
I did al the same and no results...

A followed all the steps for my ipaq 9610 as well and get same (no) results.
Maybe anyone a new idea?