[GUIDE] ADB Installation and how to get a logcat dump

Search This thread

KitsumiMaru

Dec 23, 2011
Shanghai
If like me you're a complete newb, this may come in help to you - I spent a while looking around to find out exactly how I could get a logcat output, so maybe this will help speed up your progress.

1. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
download and install the sdk
it may ask you to install the java sdk as well, do so

2. the SDK manager should start up automagically, if not, go through the start menu and fire it up, then select android 2.3.3 (API10) and google usb driver packages
install those packages

3. go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>environment variables and find the term 'path' under system variables and edit it
add the full path to your sdb directory (IE:
;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools)
to the end of the string in the box - it MUST be seperated from the rest of the text with a semi-colon

4. restart the computer after ok'ing your changes

5. connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable, with usb debugging enabled, but phone switched OFF

6. go to start menu on pc and type cmd in the search box, hit enter

7. type adb logcat > logfile.txt
This will output the results directly into a text file in your working directory (usually your user folder) but does not show anything in the cmd window, be sure you leave the phone attached lond enought to gather the required data before unplugging and rebooting.

Cheers to the two following posters after mine for their tips!

Last edited:

henkmasterpro

Aug 17, 2011
Change system variable

I've seen a text file in:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools

that adb has moved to a different location. Here's the new location:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

It works for me ;)

I wanted to debug the boot proces but it says: Waiting for device :(

Last edited:
Reactions: KitsumiMaru

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If like me you're a complete newb, this may come in help to you - I spent a while looking around to find out exactly how I could get a logcat output, so maybe this will help speed up your progress.

1. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    download and install the sdk
    it may ask you to install the java sdk as well, do so

2. the SDK manager should start up automagically, if not, go through the start menu and fire it up, then select android 2.3.3 (API10) and google usb driver packages
    install those packages

3. go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>environment variables and find the term 'path' under system variables and edit it
    add the full path to your sdb directory (IE:
    ;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools)
    to the end of the string in the box - it MUST be seperated from the rest of the text with a semi-colon

4. restart the computer after ok'ing your changes

5. connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable, with usb debugging enabled, but phone switched OFF

6. go to start menu on pc and type cmd in the search box, hit enter

7. type adb logcat > logfile.txt
    This will output the results directly into a text file in your working directory (usually your user folder) but does not show anything in the cmd window, be sure you leave the phone attached lond enought to gather the required data before unplugging and rebooting.

Cheers to the two following posters after mine for their tips!
    try

adb logcat > logfile.txt

this should create a textfile of the log in the present working directory. :)
    Change system variable

I've seen a text file in:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools

that adb has moved to a different location. Here's the new location:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

It works for me ;)

I wanted to debug the boot proces but it says: Waiting for device :(