[Dev] boot2gecko for the verizon galaxy nexus

Search This thread

jellybellys

Dec 16, 2011
infinitroid.com
First off, let me tell you that this is super sketchy right now. If you were looking for something stable, then leave. This is the exact opposite.

I am working to port mozilla's boot2gecko to the galaxy nexus, so before you ask, here's what works & what dosent:
Works:
Touchscreen
ADB
Wi-Fi
Firefox
Lockscreen
homescreen
...well yeah you get the point, but more importantly, what dosen't/partially works:
Cell service (1x, 3g, and 4g)
screenshot
camera only sometimes works
no softkeys
All resources are designed for hdpi, so everything's a bit small

Downloads:
Build 1 (9/3/12) http://goo.im/devs/jellybellys/toro/boot2gecko/b2g-toro-b1-dont-flash-in-recovery.zip
Build 1 MD5: d8e70323e56b4568f6c2d504d0cceab0
Build 2 (9/3/12) http://goo.im/devs/jellybellys/toro/boot2gecko/b2g-toro-b2-dont-flash-in-recovery.zip
Build 2 MD5: 9a2db2d4d0673b25b8dd01aab8d39e04

To do list:
Implement some sorta softkey thing
Fix cell service
Resize resources to about a 300 dpi
Fix screenshot

Low priority to do list:
Implement android apps and google play store

If you know something about developing android, or html5, pm/reply so you can help contribute.

Oh yeah, don't flash in recovery. Open up the zip and flash the img files in there. Back up your internal memory first because it'll be wiped.

Last edited:

letrain02

I was just going to start this as I have lots free time at the moment. And was just going to start setting up my "environment" here in the next week. I'll be more then happy to help. I was thinking something in the way of html5 soft keys. At least a back button. I'm more then happy to hop on this band wagon. I need something to do with my time. And I have always wanted to build something custom for my phone.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jorgonv

Sep 10, 2010
It's this even usable without softkeys?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

jorgonv

Sep 10, 2010
It's pretty unusable. I noticed the easiest way to get to the homescreen for now is to turn the screen off, then swipe to the left for the camera and it usually hotboots.

I think I'll hold off for a little while then, but it's looking good

jellybellys

Dec 16, 2011
infinitroid.com
Made a new build. All that's different is I attempted to implement a home button in the notification drawer, but failed. It doesn't do anything.

letrain02

As far as I know, you can't make phone calls without a cellular connection.

Well of course. But you don't have to have a data connection for it to work. But I guess technically its all data? But if your on 1x data its not going use you internet to bring up your dialer it will be stored on your device

x.v_

Apr 4, 2009
Well of course. But you don't have to have a data connection for it to work. But I guess technically its all data? But if your on 1x data its not going use you internet to bring up your dialer it will be stored on your device

This. Not particularly complicated here. :p dmeadows013- apps are written in HTML, but they are not loaded off the network everytime... we're looking at a concept just like webOS here. You have apps that are on the phone. They are just in web language based and rely heavily on the browser platform.

jellybellys

Dec 16, 2011
infinitroid.com
This. Not particularly complicated here. :p dmeadows013- apps are written in HTML, but they are not loaded off the network everytime... we're looking at a concept just like webOS here. You have apps that are on the phone. They are just in web language based and rely heavily on the browser platform.

One main difference between webos and b2g is that the entire ui in b2g is written in HTML.

_base2

Nov 25, 2011
Oh man! Cool! I have been wanting to try this so bad... I hope we're able to get this working! Since a dB is working, do you need help testing stuff? Glad to help if I can... I'd really love to see a B2G / Firefox OS working on the gnex :)

EvilDobe

Oct 4, 2007
Why not use LMT Launcher or Button Savior in the interim instead of the softkeys? Just setup some gestures to close apps and to go back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, let me tell you that this is super sketchy right now. If you were looking for something stable, then leave. This is the exact opposite.

I am working to port mozilla's boot2gecko to the galaxy nexus, so before you ask, here's what works & what dosent:
    Works:
    Touchscreen
    ADB
    Wi-Fi
    Firefox
    Lockscreen
    homescreen
    ...well yeah you get the point, but more importantly, what dosen't/partially works:
    Cell service (1x, 3g, and 4g)
    screenshot
    camera only sometimes works
    no softkeys
    All resources are designed for hdpi, so everything's a bit small

Downloads:
    Build 1 (9/3/12) http://goo.im/devs/jellybellys/toro/boot2gecko/b2g-toro-b1-dont-flash-in-recovery.zip
    Build 1 MD5: d8e70323e56b4568f6c2d504d0cceab0
    Build 2 (9/3/12) http://goo.im/devs/jellybellys/toro/boot2gecko/b2g-toro-b2-dont-flash-in-recovery.zip
    Build 2 MD5: 9a2db2d4d0673b25b8dd01aab8d39e04

To do list:
    Implement some sorta softkey thing
    Fix cell service
    Resize resources to about a 300 dpi
    Fix screenshot

Low priority to do list:
    Implement android apps and google play store

If you know something about developing android, or html5, pm/reply so you can help contribute.

Oh yeah, don't flash in recovery. Open up the zip and flash the img files in there. Back up your internal memory first because it'll be wiped.
    OP -- the Mozilla guys and gals would almost certainly be thrilled to help you with porting, answering questions that you might have. You might want to join them on IRC -- irc.mozilla.org, #b2g. If you catch them during normal business hours Mountain View time, I suspect a bunch of the core team will be around.
    It's this even usable without softkeys?

It's pretty unusable. I noticed the easiest way to get to the homescreen for now is to turn the screen off, then swipe to the left for the camera and it usually hotboots.
    Any progress?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I've been really busy lately and haven't gotten the time to work on this. I still can't seem to get the CDMA radio to work, and in my opinion, a phone without the phone part is not a phone... (phoneception?)
    Any more work being done on this? I would love to help when I have free time.

I will continue to work on this when I have more free time, but I am very busy right now.