[GUIDE][HOW-TO][WIP] How To Root/S-Off/Recovery/&FirmwareUpdate On Your DNA

Search This thread

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
24ky's How-To Guide For Beginners
HTC Droid DNA ( DLX )​

This thread will serve as a location for basic how-to guides for the HTC Droid DNA (dlx). I'm going to start off with a couple of the more obvious ones and go from there. If anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to let me know.

Please note: you'll need a working adb/fastboot environment on your PC to get through some of these guides. There are many guides on how to install adb/fastboot available on XDA.

This is not a q&a/help thread, if you have questions regarding the processes mentioned here please ask in the appropriate place

By attempting any of the processes listed this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches on fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

How To Unlock The Bootloader On The HTC Droid DNA:
1. Go To http://htcdev.com
2. Follow Their Directions To Achieve **UNLOCKED** Bootloader. That Is As Much As I Can Help You There.

If you can't unlock through htcdev then proceed to an s-off method that includes temproot.

How To Achieve S-OFF On Your DNA
What is S-OFF?? In simplest terms, S-OFF on HTC devices is the ability to flash unsigned code that modifies the kernel, boot, and radio partitions from recovery. Unsigned code is code that has not come from HTC directly, or has been modified in transit.

1. Find Out Your Software Version, This Way You Know What S-Off Method To Use On Your DNA ( Not Android Version, or Sense Version )

software version 1.xx - use facepalm - found HERE
software version 2.xx - use moonshine (2.06 version of moonshine DOES work with 2.07 devices) - found HERE
software version 3.xx - use rumrunner - found HERE

2. Follow The Above S-Off Link Threads To Achieve S-Off. I Will Not Post There Work On This Thread.

Edit - another s-off method would be firewater, which is located here firewater-soff.com

How To Install A Custom Recovery On Your Device
Download the recovery of your choice, make sure you check the md5 to verify its integrity. Place the file in your fastboot folder (this is where fastboot.exe is located on your PC), connect your phone in fastboot mode (reboot to bootloader, connect usb cable, "fastboot usb" should now be displayed on the screen), open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (shift + right click, select open command prompt here), and enter the following commands:

Grab Recoveries Here
TWRP - HERE
Phillz - HERE
CMW -

Code:
fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

(the exact filename, minus the talking marks)

Code:
fastboot erase cache

Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you can select the recovery option from your bootloader screen to enter your custom recovery.

How To Update Firmware To Latest Releases By Verizon
Once S-Off is achived you can flash almost anything on your device, and the most common is firmware. The
reason why is because sometimes lower firmware can lead to more bugs in newest roms.

1. Link To Firmware And Instructions HERE

Again this Guide Was To Help Noobies

Last edited:

24ky

Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam
Google Pixel 4 XL
Why do you keep posting things that have already been posted? :confused:

Well for one I didn't see a thread explaining this. But could be wrong.

But my question is why do people keep asking how to do these things.??? Wait I know cause some threads get pushed so far back that no one looks for them and yet they hijack every thread asking the same question. And quite frankly it's annoying.. So for now on if someone needs to unlock, s-off, and update there phone I can revert them here .

Edit :
The ones I did see, seem out dated.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaymazz13

Apr 5, 2012
U can't unlock ur bootloader anymore through htcdev.com

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using xda app-developers app

Reactions: 24ky

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    24ky's How-To Guide For Beginners
    HTC Droid DNA ( DLX )​

This thread will serve as a location for basic how-to guides for the HTC Droid DNA (dlx). I'm going to start off with a couple of the more obvious ones and go from there. If anyone has any suggestions for additions please feel free to let me know.

Please note: you'll need a working adb/fastboot environment on your PC to get through some of these guides. There are many guides on how to install adb/fastboot available on XDA.

This is not a q&a/help thread, if you have questions regarding the processes mentioned here please ask in the appropriate place

By attempting any of the processes listed this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches on fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

How To Unlock The Bootloader On The HTC Droid DNA:
    1. Go To http://htcdev.com
    2. Follow Their Directions To Achieve **UNLOCKED** Bootloader. That Is As Much As I Can Help You There.

If you can't unlock through htcdev then proceed to an s-off method that includes temproot.

How To Achieve S-OFF On Your DNA
    What is S-OFF?? In simplest terms, S-OFF on HTC devices is the ability to flash unsigned code that modifies the kernel, boot, and radio partitions from recovery. Unsigned code is code that has not come from HTC directly, or has been modified in transit.

1. Find Out Your Software Version, This Way You Know What S-Off Method To Use On Your DNA ( Not Android Version, or Sense Version )

software version 1.xx - use facepalm - found HERE
    software version 2.xx - use moonshine (2.06 version of moonshine DOES work with 2.07 devices) - found HERE
    software version 3.xx - use rumrunner - found HERE

2. Follow The Above S-Off Link Threads To Achieve S-Off. I Will Not Post There Work On This Thread.

Edit - another s-off method would be firewater, which is located here firewater-soff.com

How To Install A Custom Recovery On Your Device
    Download the recovery of your choice, make sure you check the md5 to verify its integrity. Place the file in your fastboot folder (this is where fastboot.exe is located on your PC), connect your phone in fastboot mode (reboot to bootloader, connect usb cable, "fastboot usb" should now be displayed on the screen), open a command prompt from within your fastboot folder (shift + right click, select open command prompt here), and enter the following commands:

Grab Recoveries Here
    TWRP - HERE
    Phillz - HERE
    CMW -

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

(the exact filename, minus the talking marks)

Code:
    fastboot erase cache

Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now you can select the recovery option from your bootloader screen to enter your custom recovery.

How To Update Firmware To Latest Releases By Verizon
    Once S-Off is achived you can flash almost anything on your device, and the most common is firmware. The
    reason why is because sometimes lower firmware can lead to more bugs in newest roms.

1. Link To Firmware And Instructions HERE

Again this Guide Was To Help Noobies
    U can't unlock ur bootloader anymore through htcdev.com

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using xda app-developers app