[Q] Need help, my phone died, HTC wants to rip me off

Search This thread

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
Hello, first of all I want to make it clear that my model is HTC One Mini (M4) and I'm posting here because I will get response faster, because m4 forums are pretty dead at the moment. My phone is three months old, so it roughly had like an year and nine months guarantee left. I had rooted my device and flashed CM11-nightly. Suddenly one morning the phone literally died in my hand with no reason at all. I have never dropped it, neither water damage it or something like that. I've tried everything to get it working again, with no luck. I've sent it to service through my carrier. They told me the phone will be sent to Germany (I guess HTC have service center there). I've waited almost a month and finally I got response. They told me that I've rooted and want me to pay 300$ for a new motherboard and I'm not gonna have any warranty left after paying. I've found few posts with almost identical problem, but people state that HTC fixed their devices for free. Here's one post for example: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52462075&postcount=13

For me this is ridiculous - it is like getting a new laptop, installing some linux distro on it, because you just don't like WIndows (HTC Sense for my example) and then get billed for faulty hardware. I really need your help folks, as this phone is on leasing and I am still paying it. I really can't afford these 300$ now and I have no guarantee that HTC's own hardware won't fault again and I will have to pay again. I really need an advice how to proceed. Should I try get my phone and try to send it to some other service center again and hoping for a miracle? Do I have any rights after hardware malfunction that I'm not responsible of, even after rooting? Yeah, I'm that desperate.

One thing I am sure of - I am never buying HTC's products again. After buying it had gaps of imperfections, had lights coming out of these gaps ( reference - http://i.imgur.com/4lXWWth.jpg ). They didn't want to swap the device. Now this.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
1. Is there not an RUU you can use to back to stock?
2. Regardless of whether the forum is dead, you've still posted in the wrong place so it will get closed/moved eventually

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
It's HTC regarding problem, not HTC One in general. No I cannot get back to stock, because phone just can't boot as it's motherboard is dead, like I wrote in the OP.

shrirang44

Feb 18, 2014
How did the came to know u rooted ur phone!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
I don't know. I knew it was obvious it was a hardware failure when I've sent it and thought that they will just give me a new device.

LQi

Apr 16, 2013
And again someone with cm11 flashed... i havent found a single person with this problem with a custom sense rom:rolleyes:

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Could you ask your carrier what exactly caused it and why the motherboard had to be replaced?

If your gonna be charged $300 you have the right to know why and in DETAIL! I'm currently dealing with HTC with another hardware issue. And i've found them to be pretty lazy checking there phones. I've sent my phone in twice now for a faulty usb port. The first time they didn't even look at it and sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it ...right. The point is they most likely didn't even test it and decided to put the blame on you because they can... As much as I like my phone I don't think i'd go HTC again. You want to get on to your version of trading standards.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
@Braddison Thanks for info.

Just recieved an email from the HTC repair centre regarding my phone repair, for my loose USB port, and I'm pissed!!! :mad::mad::mad:

In the email HTC has said that the loose USB port isn't covered by the warranty and they want to charge me to replace the main board?! £130!!! which I guess is near $300? Absolute bull! How can HTC charge me for USB port becoming loose after only 3 months? The phone should last the 2 years for which I am contracted! The USB/charger port should last the wear of time, or at least my contract!

Soon as I wake tomorrow I ringing them to tell them exactly this, and if they don't listen I'm going straight to Trading Standards. I'm not gonna let them cheat me on this. .....£130! £130???? seriously?!

I think this will be my first and last HTC phone EVER!

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
So I contacted HTC to find out why my warranty doesn't cover a faulty charger port, and they have told me because I have unlocked my bootloader my warranty won't cover a faulty charger port... I know it states this on the HTCDev site before you unlock your bootloader, but the bootloader is software while the fault on my phone is clearly hardware, and proving the phone is of poor quality build, which is something that would of occurred whether I was rooted or not. This is just an excuse to get out of repairing my poorly built HTC One mini, and proves without a doubt that HTC don't care about its consumers or the quality of the product they are selling.

I may be on a contract but I still end up paying around £400 over time to own this phone. For a device that costs this much the build quality and service should be satisfactory..

I had a heated conversation with HTC trying to explain that the fact I had unlocked my bootloader had nothing to do with the fault on my phone, but they just kept arguing that because I had unlocked the bootloader I was liable for the cost of all repairs no matter what was wrong with my £400 phone! This is just an excuse to get out of the fact that they have sold me a faulty product, and pure dis-concern for its consumers. They seem very happy to put out a poorly built device to the public and take our money.

Well I haven't given up, I won't accept that I should take responsibility for something that would of happened whether or not I had unlocked my bootloader, for which HTC shouldn't be able to take the right away for me to install custom software, as the device is my property, and as such should be able to do so.

After the heated phone call to HTC they have now got me waiting for a callback from the "HTC Escalation Team". And while I wait for that I have been in contact with "Trading Standards/Citizens Advice" here in the UK. They have told me that the responsibility lies with the seller of the phone in my case "MobilePhonesDirect.com" under the "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982". So I contacted them and they also have denied that this is their responsibility, so I argued that they have to supply a product that meets the specification and description of what they advertise which it clearly doesn't, and as such they need to under the law "Repair, Replace like for like or Refund". I have now been passed onto their "Escalation Team", and am awaiting their response........

If I don't get anywhere with HTC or the seller, I'll be contacting "Trading Standards" once again. but in the mean time HTC have my £400 phone, which I have already been without for 2 weeks. This is all very sad and think I'll be moving back to Samsung in the near future....

Also EU laws that protect users who unlock their bootloader or root their phone, do not apply in the United Kingdom, as their laws overrule these EU rules, even though we're in the EU..... So a nice little loop hole for an uncaring company like HTC.....

AnGrY sCoTsMaN

Nov 17, 2011
Fife
Oft! Htc are completley outta order mate,yeah you've rooted but that doesn't cause a hardware fault like that...ridiculous that they are not honoring there warranty! its evident that there build quality isn't that great, thats why so many users (myself included) are noticing cracks etc . Im sorry to hear your troubles and i am seriously questioning htc as my next device also.
I thought the EU law thing woulda helped ya...obviously not, sorry man
Hope you get a decent outcome...keep us posted
cheers

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
I just gave up. I've payed the money, because I can't stand staying without a smartphone anymore. Anyways, I'm never ever buying HTC or recommending it to anybody.

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Small update. Called HTC again today after not receiving my callback. They had no record of a callback ...lies. Then they went on to tell me now that Im not covered under warranty because I have forced my usb port... Which I didn't. I argued how they could say that had done the damage myself and they could't answer. Instead they started quoting how I'm not covered because I unlocked the bootloader... Excuses excuses.

My phone seller has been back in touch telling me they can not find anything in their copy of the warranty to cancel my warranty based on software changes...
They asked me to get a copy of the repair report from HTC, but when I asked for this from HTC they refused to send the report until I paid for my phone to be returned or repaired ...I HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ACCESS TO THESE DOCUMENTS!

When I argued my right to these documents I was told to I could take them to court! WTF !?

I asked for another callback to be arranged and a copy of their warranty that says why I won't be covered. He sent me a copy over email. BUT it doesn't say anything about not being covered for unlocking my bootloader. I then checked out htcdev.com again as directed by the man at HTC and again it doesn't say anything about voiding my entire warranty only that they won't cover things like your phone overheating from changing software, which has nothing to do with the charger port......

They want me to take them to court, so be it!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I just gave up. I've payed the money, because I can't stand staying without a smartphone anymore. Anyways, I'm never ever buying HTC or recommending it to anybody.

Its killing me not having my phone. Currently stuck using my old phone with gingerbread... But I won't let them cheat me! going on 3 weeks without my phone...

I know I am in the right! They hope I will give up. Never! They have enough of my money!

I am sick of dealing with their call centres reading from scripts like idiotic robots and will be writing to their HQ here in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: LQi

abzboi

Jul 22, 2013
Sacramento
Htc's customer service really sucks. I had to wait so long and you have to wait so long. I hate how they don't do anything about the one mini's plastic cracking. But I like sense more than anything else in android.

Reactions: RuffBuster

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
@RuffBuster In situations like these you need to remain calm, getting irate on the phone will do nothing to help resolve the situation. I've had a little personal experience with HTC Service Centers, HTC's warranty & my legal rights. Both with my Desire HD & One X.

The important things you need to remember are HTC are not liable. They did not sell you the goods, even HTC's own e-store is not managed by them. (http://shop.emea.htc.com/uk/p_htc_store_terms.aspx).
Your citing the wrong law, Your specific case would cite the "Sale of Goods Act 1979". As its the "good" that is concerned. - Source
Additionally Trading Standards will be unable to help, as HTC did not sell you the phone.

You need to pressure the seller that they are responsible. As its within 3 months of sale, they need to prove that the good was of satisfactory quality.
Your rights if an item is faulty
In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.
If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.
If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.
- Source

I had a similar issue with Phones4U and my Desire HD (faulty vibrate motor), if you cite the right law, they cannot push you about and ignore your legal rights, in the end I got a replacement from Phones4U not HTC.

If you need any help with what to say and to whom. Feel free to PM me and I can try to help.

Reactions: RuffBuster

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
I understand HTC are not "liable", like if you buy a bad apple you don't go to the grower, you go to the person who sold it to you. But HTC still have to provide a decent level of customer service, which they aren't, like withholding my repair report until I hand over the money. My seller needs this document before they will look further into my case.

Also still haven't received my 2nd 48 hour callback almost 3 days later, after not receiving the first one...

My phone is just over 6 months old now, but this shouldn't matter as the warranty is for 24 months, and a charger port shouldn't break before the end of the warranty from only charging and a few goes with my usb otg cable.

I am currently in contact with trading standards, htc and my phone seller to try and resolve this. Though HTC are the ones causing all the trouble...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
So here's what's happened...

After phoning the HTC Repair Hotline a further 3 times asking for a callback each time, and not receiving one, I complained about the fact I had been waiting almost 3 weeks to hear back from them. I was finally given a callback from a HTC supervisor from the UK who apologized about the fact they hadn't called me back and that this was their fault, and because of this they offered to repair my phone free of charge, as a gesture of good will. But only because of the long waiting times I have suffered.

This is a WARNING to everyone on here. If you unlock your bootloader, and your phone develops a fault that requires the mainboard to be replaced, you WILL NOT be covered by your warranty! Unless you are very lucky and they don't notice you have. Your risk!

Personally I won't be rooting my phone anytime soon after this, which is a real shame because i'm a flashaholic. Just to make sure my phone is working as it should, with the quality issues I have seen and experienced...

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
So here's what's happened...

After phoning the HTC Repair Hotline a further 3 times asking for a callback each time, and not receiving one, I complained about the fact I had been waiting almost 3 weeks to hear back from them. I was finally given a callback from a HTC supervisor from the UK who apologized about the fact they hadn't called me back and that this was their fault, and because of this they offered to repair my phone free of charge, as a gesture of good will. But only because of the long waiting times I have suffered.

This is a WARNING to everyone on here. If you unlock your bootloader, and your phone develops a fault that requires the mainboard to be replaced, you WILL NOT be covered by your warranty! Unless you are very lucky and they don't notice you have. Your risk!

Personally I won't be rooting my phone anytime soon after this, which is a real shame because i'm a flashaholic. Just to make sure my phone is working as it should, with the quality issues I have seen and experienced...

I'm glad you finally got it sorted.

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
So I got my phone back, I've payed for reapairs. 2 days later my volume down button stops to work, phone boots only in safe mode, nothing helps. I unlocked bootloader and rooted, but haven't switched to rom, using original one. I really don't know what to do now. I hate HTC so much, I'm gonna throw up. Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I contacted HTC to find out why my warranty doesn't cover a faulty charger port, and they have told me because I have unlocked my bootloader my warranty won't cover a faulty charger port... I know it states this on the HTCDev site before you unlock your bootloader, but the bootloader is software while the fault on my phone is clearly hardware, and proving the phone is of poor quality build, which is something that would of occurred whether I was rooted or not. This is just an excuse to get out of repairing my poorly built HTC One mini, and proves without a doubt that HTC don't care about its consumers or the quality of the product they are selling.

I may be on a contract but I still end up paying around £400 over time to own this phone. For a device that costs this much the build quality and service should be satisfactory..

I had a heated conversation with HTC trying to explain that the fact I had unlocked my bootloader had nothing to do with the fault on my phone, but they just kept arguing that because I had unlocked the bootloader I was liable for the cost of all repairs no matter what was wrong with my £400 phone! This is just an excuse to get out of the fact that they have sold me a faulty product, and pure dis-concern for its consumers. They seem very happy to put out a poorly built device to the public and take our money.

Well I haven't given up, I won't accept that I should take responsibility for something that would of happened whether or not I had unlocked my bootloader, for which HTC shouldn't be able to take the right away for me to install custom software, as the device is my property, and as such should be able to do so.

After the heated phone call to HTC they have now got me waiting for a callback from the "HTC Escalation Team". And while I wait for that I have been in contact with "Trading Standards/Citizens Advice" here in the UK. They have told me that the responsibility lies with the seller of the phone in my case "MobilePhonesDirect.com" under the "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982". So I contacted them and they also have denied that this is their responsibility, so I argued that they have to supply a product that meets the specification and description of what they advertise which it clearly doesn't, and as such they need to under the law "Repair, Replace like for like or Refund". I have now been passed onto their "Escalation Team", and am awaiting their response........

If I don't get anywhere with HTC or the seller, I'll be contacting "Trading Standards" once again. but in the mean time HTC have my £400 phone, which I have already been without for 2 weeks. This is all very sad and think I'll be moving back to Samsung in the near future....

Also EU laws that protect users who unlock their bootloader or root their phone, do not apply in the United Kingdom, as their laws overrule these EU rules, even though we're in the EU..... So a nice little loop hole for an uncaring company like HTC.....
    Small update. Called HTC again today after not receiving my callback. They had no record of a callback ...lies. Then they went on to tell me now that Im not covered under warranty because I have forced my usb port... Which I didn't. I argued how they could say that had done the damage myself and they could't answer. Instead they started quoting how I'm not covered because I unlocked the bootloader... Excuses excuses.

My phone seller has been back in touch telling me they can not find anything in their copy of the warranty to cancel my warranty based on software changes...
    They asked me to get a copy of the repair report from HTC, but when I asked for this from HTC they refused to send the report until I paid for my phone to be returned or repaired ...I HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ACCESS TO THESE DOCUMENTS!

When I argued my right to these documents I was told to I could take them to court! WTF !?

I asked for another callback to be arranged and a copy of their warranty that says why I won't be covered. He sent me a copy over email. BUT it doesn't say anything about not being covered for unlocking my bootloader. I then checked out htcdev.com again as directed by the man at HTC and again it doesn't say anything about voiding my entire warranty only that they won't cover things like your phone overheating from changing software, which has nothing to do with the charger port......

They want me to take them to court, so be it!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Its killing me not having my phone. Currently stuck using my old phone with gingerbread... But I won't let them cheat me! going on 3 weeks without my phone...

I know I am in the right! They hope I will give up. Never! They have enough of my money!

I am sick of dealing with their call centres reading from scripts like idiotic robots and will be writing to their HQ here in the UK.

Htc's customer service really sucks. I had to wait so long and you have to wait so long. I hate how they don't do anything about the one mini's plastic cracking. But I like sense more than anything else in android.
    @RuffBuster In situations like these you need to remain calm, getting irate on the phone will do nothing to help resolve the situation. I've had a little personal experience with HTC Service Centers, HTC's warranty & my legal rights. Both with my Desire HD & One X.

The important things you need to remember are HTC are not liable. They did not sell you the goods, even HTC's own e-store is not managed by them. (http://shop.emea.htc.com/uk/p_htc_store_terms.aspx).
    Your citing the wrong law, Your specific case would cite the "Sale of Goods Act 1979". As its the "good" that is concerned. - Source
    Additionally Trading Standards will be unable to help, as HTC did not sell you the phone.

You need to pressure the seller that they are responsible. As its within 3 months of sale, they need to prove that the good was of satisfactory quality.
    Your rights if an item is faulty
    In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.
    If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.
    If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.
    - Source

I had a similar issue with Phones4U and my Desire HD (faulty vibrate motor), if you cite the right law, they cannot push you about and ignore your legal rights, in the end I got a replacement from Phones4U not HTC.

If you need any help with what to say and to whom. Feel free to PM me and I can try to help.