[Widgets][18-feb][going to do something soon!] ZaxXx's CHT2.0.0 Widgets

Search This thread

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
HI ALL

I'm a huge CHT fan and I'm very interested in creating custom widgets.
Do not expect anything awesome and bug-free. I'm still a beginner and I don't know how certain stuff work. But I still hope my widgets will make your day easier...

IMPORTANT NOTES (READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING):
  • Use my widgets only at your own risk! HTC Sense is very fragile and can be crashed very easily. I release only widgets that are working on my device, but I can't guarantee that it'll work on your device too. If it's not working, than you're just unlucky. My first idea was to develop widgets only for myself and it's my good will that I'm releasing them here. Again - use it only at your own risk, I don't have much knowledge about how HTC Sense works and if you run into some troubles, I can't help you.
  • Do NOT expect any eye-candy! I'm just a programmer, not graphic-master and I have serious problems with making anything (apps, widgets, web pages etc.) look beautiful. By the way - I'm using only built-in graphics. For example the calculator widget uses graphic from e-mail tab as background and buttons are just empty quicklinks. What does it mean for you? It means that if you use some skin which replaces e-mail tab look, then the same skin will be shown in calculator widget. I recommend to use only the default theme.
  • I'm not Lua master, so my widgets are very limited to my knowledge. I started learning Lua about week ago only because it's the programming language used in HTC Sense (and CHT).
  • You can post your widget request, but don't expect a positive answer from me due to the previous point. But if it's something what can be developed with my knowledge, then I'll most probably create it ;)
  • Feedbacks are appreciated as I want to make my widgets as good as possible. But please, do not write anything about how the widgets LOOK LIKE, only about how they BEHAVE and WORK :)
  • Feel free to edit the widgets in any way you want, that's why I release kitchens too. Just please, mention me as an author and add link to this thread when releasing it anywhere.

See post #2 for widgets

NEWS:
  • 18-feb-2011: June 2011 prediction went wrong, I'll have free time for development very soon, see this post for more info.
  • 15-dec-2010: Sorry, there's too much I must do in very short time and I have almost no time for this. I'll continue with this project most probably in June 2011. See this post for more info.
  • 31-oct-2010: Switcher widget updated to version 1.2 (bug-fix and more beautiful skin)
  • 30-oct-2010: Released fixed version of switcher widget
  • 29-oct-2010: Released switcher widget
  • 23-oct-2010: Good news! I found a faster ROM so I can continue with development
  • 21-oct-2010: Got pissed off by slow HTC Sense, switching to another ROM for some time. I'll be back sooner or later as there is no so well customisable alternative. For now, I want to have fast device. Sorry.
  • 19-oct-2010: Uploaded kitchens
  • 18-oct-2010: Calculator widget update to v1.1
  • 15-oct-2010: Released stopwatch widget
  • 15-oct-2010: Released first widget - calculator

MY TO DO LIST*:
  • (high priority) Write a configurator for my widgets (like CHTE) and maybe integrate it with CHT menu
  • (high priority) Fix the < -32768 ; 32768 > bug in calculator widget - needs external exe
  • Reposition the button labels in calculator widget so they're in center of buttons
  • (high priority) Make new CAB for switcher widget to make it compatible with non-WWE ROMs (now it's necessary to manually copy graphics from "Program files in your lang" to "Program Files") - I will need someone to test it as I use only WWE ROMs.
  • Make the switcher widget compatible with CHTS - needs XML with texture paths
  • Resize the touch area in edit mode in switcher widget to fill the whole widget - not sure if this will go well
  • (high priority) Fix critical bug in stopwatch widget, which can cause CPU load and/or battery drain - should be no big deal
  • Add the ability to use calculator widget as adding machine (requires configurator)
  • Add the ability to make Home button in switcher widget larger (requires configurator)

POSSIBLE FUTURE WIDGETS*:
  • Calendar
  • Quote of the day
  • Countdown timer
  • Album
  • Notes
  • Web search
  • FB/Twitter update textbox
  • I'm also thinking of some non-widgets-related CHT modifications as I have access to CHT source codes :p

* I do NOT guarantee that I'll make anything from these lists, they're more notes for myself than promises ;)

Last edited:

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
MY WIDGETS
Basic calculator
Description: Just a calculator with basic operations and memory function, I tried to make the calculator as usable as possible, so you can for example press 5, +, 6, - (it shows 11 here), 3, = (shows 8), +, 10, = (shows 18), so you're not limited to one operation at time.
Properties:
  • Only one layout
  • Is resizable
  • Can be used on lockscreen
Changelog:
  • 18-oct-2010 (1.1): Added more functions, sorry for the sqrt, I tried to insert square root sign there, but it showed question mark instead. I'll probably fix it in next version.
  • 15-oct-2010 (1.0): Initial release
Known bugs:
  • Results are limited to range between -32768 and 32768!!! This is a limitation of Lua in HTC Sense, but I'm going to bypass it using external exe in next release!
  • No visual/vibration feedback for pressing buttons
  • Widget is not snapping to the center of screen as it's supposed to... maybe I just overlooked something in code.
Download:
CLICK HERE
Kitchen

Alternative skins:
#1 Here
#2 Here - install skin #1 first before installing this one!
Screenshot:
scr.png

Stopwatch
Description: Stopwatch... just tap it to start ticking, tap it again to stop and tap it for 3rd time to reset it. Ticking pauses itself when device put in sleep and continues when woke up. I don't know how to make the widget work in sleep mode - if you want this feature, then do not put device in sleep, just turn screen off ;)
Properties:
  • Only one layout
  • Is resizable (works a bit weird as I used Analog Clock as a base)
Changelog:
Known bugs:
  • The widget may cause battery drain. This is because of my poor skills, but thanks to Co0kieMonster's knowledge, I'll fix that soon.
  • The first second is not always accurate, because the widget uses system time and needs to be synchronized with it
  • Widget is not snapping to the center of screen as it's supposed to
Download:
CLICK HERE
Kitchen

Screenshot:
scr.png

Pages Switcher
Description: Tired of swiping? How about just tapping? This little widget acts as a set of shortcuts which gets you to specified page in CHT. I didn't find a way how to switch between levels, so for now it works only for pages on one level. Those who use 1 level and 5 pages (like me) will definitely find this useful ;)
Properties:
  • Only one layout
  • Is resizable
  • Easily skinnable - just replace the images in \Program files\ZaxWidgets\switcher, then remove and add the widget or restart Sense
Changelog:
  • 31-oct-2010 (1.2):
    • Fixed the white background on the button 1
    • Replaced my ugly mspaint graphics with much nicer one by santod040
  • 30-oct-2010 (1.1): Real initial release
  • 29-oct-2010 (1.0): Initial release (not released at all because of critical bug)
Known bugs:
  • To manipulate with the widget in edit mode, use the left side of the widget - the rest of the widget is not responding, only the area where the button to switch to first page is located!!!
  • May not work correctly with CHTS, because of images in \Program files\... (I don't know, I don't use CHTS)
  • Behaves a bit weird when animations are turned on (but it works, just a cosmetic problem)
  • If you pin this widget and it disappears, try making it smaller. This happens mostly when using 6 or 7 pages, I use 5 pages and have no problem.
  • If you don't have English ROM and your program files folder has different name than "Program Files", than you need to copy all files from \yourProgramFiles\ZaxWidgets to \Program Files\ZaxWidgets to make it run (thanks to mike2nl for feedback). I'll fix that and make it compatible with CHTS in the future.
Download:
CLICK HERE

Screenshots:
Ugly default skin
5 pages layout, skinned

Last edited:

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
Special thanks to:
  • Co0kieMonster - for his amazing CHT 2.0.0 with awesome possibilities of customization!
  • MichelDiamond - for his support
  • mike2nl - for his support
  • ric69 - for testing my first .cab, he was risking hard reset for me :) fortunately, everything went fine :)
  • Few other people who helped me, made alternative skins etc. (I can't remember everyone, I got over 60 private messages from many people after starting this project within few days)
  • Everyone who is supporting me

Last edited:

alareth1976

May 9, 2007
Rimini
great m8!

I love CHT and i really want new widgets...
a couple of requests :

1- A text-field to update FB / Twitter status
2- Internet search (without switch to manila internet tab)

cheers

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
great m8!

I love CHT and i really want new widgets...
a couple of requests :

1- A text-field to update FB / Twitter status
2- Internet search (without switch to manila internet tab)

cheers
I love CHT too and I want new widgets too, that's why I'm trying to develop some :)
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I can't fulfill any of your requests, because I don't have enough knowledge - I don't know how to create text input box. Maybe sometimes later when I become more experienced ;)

Symondo

Aug 19, 2010
1 Widget i would love to have - the ability to quickly take notes - so an 'add note' free link and my notes displayed on the home screen like post it notes or even using a similr effort to that of the sms widget

alareth1976

May 9, 2007
Rimini
+1 Widgets : calendar ( day/month/year ) i wanna can resize it .. just like weather . bigger :D

+1 for bigger calendar :D

Widgets : Toggle switch between 3g/GSM

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I can't fulfill any of your requests, because I don't have enough knowledge - I don't know how to create text input box. Maybe sometimes later when I become more experienced ;)

I will wait with confidence :p

J-r0en

Jul 4, 2009
Amsterdam
Id like a twitter update field :)
And an google search widget ^^
And a youtube search widget

Yeah those would be nice =D

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
1 Widget i would love to have - the ability to quickly take notes - so an 'add note' free link and my notes displayed on the home screen like post it notes or even using a similr effort to that of the sms widget
I'm planning this widget as I want it too, however, I don't have enough knowledge right now to create it... I guess you'll have to wait few weeks/months.

+1 for bigger calendar :D
Widgets : Toggle switch between 3g/GSM
Calendar: Should be possible and not too difficult, but I'll create only month view.
3g/gsm: I have no idea how to create it, so I have to say NO.

Id like a twitter update field :)
And an google search widget ^^
And a youtube search widget

Yeah those would be nice =D
Twitter: I can't make a text input field, I don't have any experience with twitter API, unfortunately I say NO.
Google: Only as soon as I find out how to make a text input field, but I say YES as I want this widget too
Youtube: If I create a Google widget, than it will be easy to modify it to search Youtube

A countdown timer and stopwatch widget would be nice.
Keep it up!
Should be no big deal, I'll try it ;)

As you can see in updated post #1, I have problems with creating CAB. As soon as I get it working, I'll release my first widget - Calculator :)

ZaxXx

Jun 12, 2007
Prague
lukasklika.cz
I don't know about this setup.dll

All I can say is I already use it to change manila files (with CHT2.0) and some registry files ... it works fine :)
Yes, I'm sure it works fine with files and registry values, but the setup.dll is a bit mystery for me. According to widget guide, the setup.dll file is needed for proper installation - it searches for first free widget slot and puts the widget in there, but I don't know if I can use this setup.dll as normal file or it has to be put in the cab by some special way as the setup.dll must be run during installing. I'm a bit afraid of experimenting in this part, because I don't want to screw my HTC Sense and hard reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some good news for you people, who are still waiting hardly to see some more of my stuff done.

I'm not continuing the development yet, but my work, which I've been working on since september, is almost done and then I'm going to use the hard-earned money to buy myself (goddamn, still automatically writing "mysql" when I want to write "myself" :D) HTC HD2.
    It should be finished this sunday (if all goes well), I should get money on monday and on tuesday, I'll have my HD2, lots of weed and some energy drinks (I prefer Big shocks :D and they're discounted now :D), so I'll be perfectly ready to continue my work on CHT widgets!

Stay tuned, you may expect an update next week, but only if all goes well, because I don't remember anything from Lua as I've been writing only in HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL since the september.

By the way: I'm going to have some more work after the first one is finished, but it won't be so big task and it won't consume so much of my free time. The CHT widgets development won't be so fast as it was when I was beginning with it, but at least something.

What will I do when I start developing CHT widgets again? First, I'm going to focus on fixing bugs marked as high priority in first post (I'm afraid I can't fix the calculator widget bug, it requires some C++ - anybody can help?), then I'll make some app for you to be able to configure my widgets to fit your needs and after that, I'll spend some time studying built-in widgets source codes to get some more knowledge. After that, I should be able to make some more advanced widgets.
    MY WIDGETS
    Basic calculator
    Description: Just a calculator with basic operations and memory function, I tried to make the calculator as usable as possible, so you can for example press 5, +, 6, - (it shows 11 here), 3, = (shows 8), +, 10, = (shows 18), so you're not limited to one operation at time.
    Properties:
    • Only one layout
    • Is resizable
    Changelog:
    • 18-oct-2010 (1.1): Added more functions, sorry for the sqrt, I tried to insert square root sign there, but it showed question mark instead. I'll probably fix it in next version.
    Known bugs:
    • Results are limited to range between -32768 and 32768!!! This is a limitation of Lua in HTC Sense, but I'm going to bypass it using external exe in next release!
    • No visual/vibration feedback for pressing buttons
    • Widget is not snapping to the center of screen as it's supposed to... maybe I just overlooked something in code.
    Download:
    CLICK HERE
    Kitchen

Alternative skins:
    #1 Here
    #2 Here - install skin #1 first before installing this one!
    Screenshot:
    scr.png

Stopwatch
    Description: Stopwatch... just tap it to start ticking, tap it again to stop and tap it for 3rd time to reset it. Ticking pauses itself when device put in sleep and continues when woke up. I don't know how to make the widget work in sleep mode - if you want this feature, then do not put device in sleep, just turn screen off ;)
    Properties:
    • Only one layout
    • Is resizable (works a bit weird as I used Analog Clock as a base)
    Changelog:
    Known bugs:
    • The widget may cause battery drain. This is because of my poor skills, but thanks to Co0kieMonster's knowledge, I'll fix that soon.
    • The first second is not always accurate, because the widget uses system time and needs to be synchronized with it
    • Widget is not snapping to the center of screen as it's supposed to
    Download:
    CLICK HERE
    Kitchen

Screenshot:
    scr.png

Pages Switcher
    Description: Tired of swiping? How about just tapping? This little widget acts as a set of shortcuts which gets you to specified page in CHT. I didn't find a way how to switch between levels, so for now it works only for pages on one level. Those who use 1 level and 5 pages (like me) will definitely find this useful ;)
    Properties:
    • Only one layout
    • Is resizable
    • Easily skinnable - just replace the images in \Program files\ZaxWidgets\switcher, then remove and add the widget or restart Sense
    Changelog:
    • 31-oct-2010 (1.2):
      • Fixed the white background on the button 1
      • Replaced my ugly mspaint graphics with much nicer one by santod040
    • 30-oct-2010 (1.1): Real initial release
    • 29-oct-2010 (1.0): Initial release (not released at all because of critical bug)
    Known bugs:
    • To manipulate with the widget in edit mode, use the left side of the widget - the rest of the widget is not responding, only the area where the button to switch to first page is located!!!
    • May not work correctly with CHTS, because of images in \Program files\... (I don't know, I don't use CHTS)
    • Behaves a bit weird when animations are turned on (but it works, just a cosmetic problem)
    • If you pin this widget and it disappears, try making it smaller. This happens mostly when using 6 or 7 pages, I use 5 pages and have no problem.
    • If you don't have English ROM and your program files folder has different name than "Program Files", than you need to copy all files from \yourProgramFiles\ZaxWidgets to \Program Files\ZaxWidgets to make it run (thanks to mike2nl for feedback). I'll fix that and make it compatible with CHTS in the future.
    Download:
    CLICK HERE

Screenshots:
    Ugly default skin
    5 pages layout, skinned
    HI ALL

I'm a huge CHT fan and I'm very interested in creating custom widgets.
    Do not expect anything awesome and bug-free. I'm still a beginner and I don't know how certain stuff work. But I still hope my widgets will make your day easier...

IMPORTANT NOTES (READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING):
    • Use my widgets only at your own risk! HTC Sense is very fragile and can be crashed very easily. I release only widgets that are working on my device, but I can't guarantee that it'll work on your device too. If it's not working, than you're just unlucky. My first idea was to develop widgets only for myself and it's my good will that I'm releasing them here. Again - use it only at your own risk, I don't have much knowledge about how HTC Sense works and if you run into some troubles, I can't help you.
    • Do NOT expect any eye-candy! I'm just a programmer, not graphic-master and I have serious problems with making anything (apps, widgets, web pages etc.) look beautiful. By the way - I'm using only built-in graphics. For example the calculator widget uses graphic from e-mail tab as background and buttons are just empty quicklinks. What does it mean for you? It means that if you use some skin which replaces e-mail tab look, then the same skin will be shown in calculator widget. I recommend to use only the default theme.
    • I'm not Lua master, so my widgets are very limited to my knowledge. I started learning Lua about week ago only because it's the programming language used in HTC Sense (and CHT).
    • You can post your widget request, but don't expect a positive answer from me due to the previous point. But if it's something what can be developed with my knowledge, then I'll most probably create it ;)
    • Feedbacks are appreciated as I want to make my widgets as good as possible. But please, do not write anything about how the widgets LOOK LIKE, only about how they BEHAVE and WORK :)
    • Feel free to edit the widgets in any way you want, that's why I release kitchens too. Just please, mention me as an author and add link to this thread when releasing it anywhere.

See post #2 for widgets

NEWS:
    • 18-feb-2011: June 2011 prediction went wrong, I'll have free time for development very soon, see this post for more info.
    • 15-dec-2010: Sorry, there's too much I must do in very short time and I have almost no time for this. I'll continue with this project most probably in June 2011. See this post for more info.
    • 31-oct-2010: Switcher widget updated to version 1.2 (bug-fix and more beautiful skin)
    • 30-oct-2010: Released fixed version of switcher widget
    • 29-oct-2010: Released switcher widget
    • 23-oct-2010: Good news! I found a faster ROM so I can continue with development
    • 21-oct-2010: Got pissed off by slow HTC Sense, switching to another ROM for some time. I'll be back sooner or later as there is no so well customisable alternative. For now, I want to have fast device. Sorry.
    • 19-oct-2010: Uploaded kitchens
    • 18-oct-2010: Calculator widget update to v1.1
    • 15-oct-2010: Released stopwatch widget
    • 15-oct-2010: Released first widget - calculator

MY TO DO LIST*:
    • (high priority) Write a configurator for my widgets (like CHTE) and maybe integrate it with CHT menu
    • (high priority) Fix the < -32768 ; 32768 > bug in calculator widget - needs external exe
    • Reposition the button labels in calculator widget so they're in center of buttons
    • (high priority) Make new CAB for switcher widget to make it compatible with non-WWE ROMs (now it's necessary to manually copy graphics from "Program files in your lang" to "Program Files") - I will need someone to test it as I use only WWE ROMs.
    • Make the switcher widget compatible with CHTS - needs XML with texture paths
    • Resize the touch area in edit mode in switcher widget to fill the whole widget - not sure if this will go well
    • (high priority) Fix critical bug in stopwatch widget, which can cause CPU load and/or battery drain - should be no big deal
    • Add the ability to use calculator widget as adding machine (requires configurator)
    • Add the ability to make Home button in switcher widget larger (requires configurator)

POSSIBLE FUTURE WIDGETS*:
    • Calendar
    • Quote of the day
    • Countdown timer
    • Album
    • Notes
    • Web search
    • FB/Twitter update textbox
    • I'm also thinking of some non-widgets-related CHT modifications as I have access to CHT source codes :p

* I do NOT guarantee that I'll make anything from these lists, they're more notes for myself than promises ;)
    Bad news for you guys :(

So my promises that I'll have more free time for widgets development can't be fulfilled. Unfortunately for you (fortunately for me), I got some more work to do and it has the highest priority for me. I'm also going to school every day so I really have only a little of free time.
    There are some widgets I'd like to have too (including calendar and quick notes), but, well, every day still has only 24 hours and for me it looks like this: 01:30-06:30 sleeping, 07:00-08:00 travelling to school, 08:00-15:20 in school (I have really bad school schedule this year, plus I'll do graduation exams this school year), 15:20-16:20 going home, 16:20-00:00 working and relaxing, 00:00-01:30 playing with my phone in bed.
    There is some free time, but the problem is that my job is writing kilobytes of code every day and I want to relax at something different than with writing more code, which requires even more concentration and is more frustrating for me, because I have almost no Lua knowledge. I prefer watching some movie instead.

So if you're very impatient and check this thread every day to see if there's something new - don't do it any more. I'm pretty sure I won't have much free time until 1st February and if I get some more job, then you will most probably have to wait until I finish the graduation exams. Then - after finishing school - I'll have plenty of time for both working and developing widgets. I hope there will still be people owning HTC devices with WM and CHT.

There's also one good news: when I finish my work, I'll get pretty much money and I'll buy myself HD2, so I can pretty much promise you that I'll be working (sometimes) on my widgets until, let's say, 2013 or 2014 (if nothing happens at 21.12.2012 :D ). The reason why I'm gonna buy myself HD2 is that I hate iPhone and I hate Android. I love the PC-like approach of Windows Mobile and I'll stick with that as long as possible.

BTW: I noticed there're some more people working on new CHT widgets (for example here) and they look pretty much better than mine, so if you have any new widgets requests, I guess you should ask them, not me.

I hope I'll be able to continue with widgets development soon :)

ZaxXx
    Okay, things are not going the way I wish, there's still a lot of work I must do, but I already have a bit more free time and I'm slooowly starting working on the widgets. The first update will be just bug fixes and making widgets compatible with CHTS. Can't tell you the date of release now, but it should be within next two or three weeks.