[GUIDE] Universal AndRoot - 1-click root (works on MyTouch 3G 1.2)

Search This thread

cleandog

Nov 4, 2010
works like a charm.

However, I found sometimes the camera stuck when I try to take a phone. I have to reboot the device to use the camera again. Any fixed for that? Mayny thanks

My device information is as follows:

ROM: CyanogenMod 6.0.0 DS +google addon
sapphire pvt 32a ship s-on g
hboot-1.33.0013 ( sapp31000)
cpld-13
radio-2.22.23.02
oct 21 2009, 20:33:27

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
I am thinking about rooting my HTC G1 android device, but I am a little scared to brick my phone. What is the chance of bricking my phone using Universal AndRoot? I am running firmware 1.6 and want to update to froyo. I just want to know how high or low the chances are of bricking. Please reply quick.

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
I am thinking about rooting my HTC G1 android device, but I am a little scared to brick my phone. What is the chance of bricking my phone using Universal AndRoot? I am running firmware 1.6 and want to update to froyo. I just want to know how high or low the chances are of bricking. Please reply quick.

If you read the directions very carefully and pay attention to what you're doing, almost nonexistent. There's also a program for the computer called super one click.

BE AWARE THAT TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM ON YOUR G1 YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED A CUSTOM SPL. Do some reading to make sure you do this correctly.

If you just want to root your existing software with universal androot you just install, press the button and go on your merry way.

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Thanks I am going to try this froyo port for g1 made from the official T-Mobile MyTouch 3g update. It is supposed to be really fast and it does have a certain SPL and Radio img so I will be sure to flash those first. Thanks for the help!

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Thanks I am going to try this froyo port for g1 made from the official T-Mobile MyTouch 3g update. It is supposed to be really fast and it does have a certain SPL and Radio img so I will be sure to flash those first. Thanks for the help!

No worries, have fun and don't freak out if something goes awry, all part of the process.

Quick tip. On first boot of new Rom, let it sit for about 20 mins before you start setting up. Lot of background processes and "thinking" going on. ROM will run WAY better if you do this.

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Ok thanks. I have never read that you should wait but I will be sure to do so. Thanks for all of you help, I am a lot more confident in rooting my phone now! I will post how it goes once I root it and put on the rom.

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Ok thanks. I have never read that you should wait but I will be sure to do so. Thanks for all of you help, I am a lot more confident in rooting my phone now! I will post how it goes once I root it and put on the rom.

Yeah it's one of those things they don't really tell you in the rooting guides, but it makes a big difference. I usually flash roms while watching tv so I go at least between commercial breaks after first boot.

Have fun!

Btw, is this the rom you're talking about? I liked this one better than TMUS.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=811620

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Yeah that is the ROM that I am talking about! That's the post I am following to install it. Have you tried it or heard about it? I hear it is really fast (faster then cyanogen!) and nearly perfect!!

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Yeah that is the ROM that I am talking about! That's the post I am following to install it. Have you tried it or heard about it? I hear it is really fast (faster then cyanogen!) and nearly perfect!!

Yeah it's pretty darn good, I have to say. It's faster than CM6 but I don't know about CM6.1, since Cyanogen added the official source code that makes Ezterry's so fast in the first place. Part of what slows down CM is how much stuff is in there. The MT3G is seriously outdated hardware and it needs a really lean and light rom in order to run fast. That's why I stayed on Donut for so long.

Once you're rooted you can flash back and forth willy-nilly and try them all. Just nandroid backup before you flash a new rom so if you don't like it you can restore in 5 minutes.

The only reason I moved away from Ezterry's hack is because I wanted to use the new radio. Of course a day or two later he came out with an easy flash kernel that supports the new radio. Go figure. :p

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Cool I am going to try this one at first and I might move and try some different ROM's. How would I downgrade back to 1.6 and unroot if I decide to do so? I want to have some backup plans in my back pocket just incase something comes up.

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Rooting and Installing!!

So I have started the rooting process. I rooted with Universal Androot on my G1 running 1.6. I also flashed the RA Recovery 1.7.0 recovery img, and that successfully installed and is up and working. This afternoon I am going to flash the new Radio img and the new SPL. After I will flash the froyo update for G1 and the Market Fix!!! Hope all of this works as well as it is supposed to!!:D

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
what exactly is a nandroid backup to the oem ROM and how would I do that??

Boot up into recovery. Under backup there is an option for a nandroid backup. This will create a folder on your sdcard that allows you to restore EVERYTHING to the exact point at which you made the backup.

The only thing a nandroid does NOT back up are the radio image and SPL. You should DEFINITELY make a nandroid backup before you change anything else.

I have several on my hard drive of my favorite roms. If I decide I want to go back to Ezterry's rom I just boot into recovery, nandroid restore, reflash the correct radio image or updated kernel, and boot right up.

It would take 5 mins and I'd be exactly back to where I was last time I powered that rom down.

I had nandroids of cm5, cm6, tmus, etc., but I deleted some of them. Now I just have one of oem 1.6, oem 2.2, and ezterry's 2.2 ota hack.

Edit - as far as unrooting and going to back to stock with a fresh start, the links in my sig will help with that. Click the one for OEM Android 1.6.

Last edited:

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
Ok Thanks. I just made a nandroid backup for my 1.6 firmware and put it on my computer. Can I take the file off my phone's sd card if I have it on my computer's hard drive or do I have to keep it one there??

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Ok Thanks. I just made a nandroid backup for my 1.6 firmware and put it on my computer. Can I take the file off my phone's sd card if I have it on my computer's hard drive or do I have to keep it one there??

Assuming you copied the entire nandroid folder to your hard drive you can probably remove it from the sd card. I wouldn't just because i'm paranoid but I doubt it will be an issue.

Ruprecht10

Nov 12, 2010
Harrisburg
ok yeah I copied the whole folder from the root of the sd card called nandroid. So would it have any effect or not. Because I don't want to screw up my phone this far along the process

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a guide on how to root your phone and install a custom ROM using Universal AndRoot. It supports several phone models and is the simplest way to root a phone I have ever seen. It features a 1 click root and a 1 click unroot option. Rooting with this method does NOT affect your bootloader, therefore if your phone needs serviced you can (theoretically, I have not verified this to be true) simply unroot and restore to normal.

As always myself, XDA, ROM developers, your friends, your mom, the rulers of the world and the developers of this app are NOT responsible for any bricks YOU create by taking the risk of rooting your phone. Also there are no guarantees that your warranty will not be null and void. If you NEED your warranty, DO NOT root your phone. Use at your own risk!

SUPPORTED DEVICE LIST

Google Nexus One (2.2)
    Google G1 (1.6)
    HTC Hero (2.1)
    HTC Magic (1.5) (Select Do not install Superuser)
    HTC Magic 1.2 (1.6)
    HTC Tattoo (1.6)
    Dell Streak (2.1)
    Motorola Milestone (2.1)
    Motorola XT701
    Motorola XT800 (2.1)
    Motorola ME511
    Motorola Charm
    Motorola Droid (2.01/2.1/2.2 with FRG01B)
    Sony Ericsson X10 (1.6)
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini (1.6)
    Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (1.6)
    Acer Liquid (2.1)
    Acer beTouch E400 (2.1)
    Samsung Galaxy Beam
    Samsung galaxy 5 (gt-i5500)
    Vibo A688 (1.6)
    Lenovo Lephone (1.6)
    LG GT540 (1.6)
    Gigabyte GSmart G1305

First we will gather the items needed to complete this process.
    Universal AndRoot Version 1.6.1 is the newest STABLE release. The newest version is 1.6.2 beta 5, which is where the updated list above comes from and is said to be very close to the final release version.
    Next go to the Android Market and install AppInstaller (there are a few versions including appsInstaller by modmymobile, all are free)
    While in the market, also grab ROM Manager (also free)
    Next download the ROM you would like to use. I personally recommend CyanogenMod 6.0.0 DS - stable. This link will take you to the Cyanogen downloads section where you will have to select your phone and search for the ROM you want.
    While you are there, also grab the Google Addon pack for your phone.
    Of course it is up to you to choose a ROM you like. You can also keep your stock ROM if you choose.

Lets Begin!
    Install the Universal AndRoot .apk file, the ROM you chose and the Google Addon to the root of your microSD card

Open AppInstaller and let it locate your AndRoot .apk on your microSD. Select it and install it to your phone.

Open Universal AndRoot from you app menu. It should read your phone and show your firmware version. Click the "Root" button and let it do it's thing. It really only takes a minute or 2. When finished it will let you know. Congratulations, at this point you are now rooted.

Now for a custom ROM!

Open ROM Manager. Install Recovery. The default recovery for ROM Manager is ClockworkMod Recovery (which is what I am using) but a lot of people seem to like RA Recovery. This option is at the bottom of ROM Manager under "Flash Alternate Recovery". Whichever you choose, let the Recovery flash.

Next choose "Backup Current ROM", then "Reboot Into Recovery" (for future reference, you can also get into recovery mode by turning your phone off, then hold down the "home" button hit the power button. continue hold home as it powers on.)

Chose "wipe data/factory reset" then "wipe cache partition". This step is important. I know from personal experience if you don't do this you may end up in a bootscreen loop!

Choose "install zip from sdcard". Navigate to the ROM you loaded on your microSD and flash it.

After the phone reboots (which can take a few minutes the first time after flashing a new firmware version) go back to ROM Manager and again choose "Reboot Into Recovery". Once in recovery, again choose "install zip from sdcard". Navigate to the Google Addon pack on your microSD and install it.

Once you are rooted and running your new ROM, go into ROM Manager and partition your sd card. This is optional.

That is it. You should be good to go! Way easier and faster than the old goldcard method!

This is my first XDA guide. I hope it is up to your standards!