Martian Imperium is back...sorta

Search This thread

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I am now personally hosting the site but may have lost the original domain name. All Imperium services and ROMUpdater servers are now gone and the new site is very limited. I now no longer personally host any files and have found a third party service that pays me per download. The following projects are now dead:
  • WebTop enable devices TabletDock
  • WebTop enable devices CarPC
  • Remote Access ROM Development Service
  • Anything Galaxy Tab
  • Anything GS2
  • Anything G2X
  • Anything not Photon related

The Martian Imperium site is now closed and in the process of being purged. In all likelihood there will be no new website and unless somebody here has a copy, all the files will disappear as well. iPage was the cheapest host I could find for the bandwidth users were pulling (500GB-1TB a month and over 1000 DL's a day). In addition to my own work, I was hosting all the SBF's, some high demand older ROMs and kernels, root-unlock-relock and other Photon related files.

I looked at alternate places to host but Mediafire would cost almost ten times as much and dropbox almost three times as much just to host files. I even covered the site in ads to help cover expenses with no real success. The core factor was that my wife and I went over the receipts yesterday and I have spent something like $1000USD this year in equipment and hosting. If I had received a $0.01 donation (after paypal takes it's cut) for every unique download I actually would have made money and been able to continue development. There were many things I had planned to release this year but as it stands I am leaving development and guide writing.

To those that have donated to me in the past I'm very sorry about this and will return your donations if you would like.

Last edited:

bricky23

Apr 6, 2010
Akron
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 6a
Thank you for the explanation, and all you've done. The sad fact is most don't send donations. Over the years that I've been on xda, I've only done it a half dozen times. I'm sure I should have done it more. I know development won't get you rich, but it shouldn't cost you. Thanks again for all you've done. Webtop and imperium are the ****!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
What started all this was a "We need to have a talk" email from my host. They had been very forgiving about the bandwidth usage but had enough and it was upgrade to business class service or leave. Meanwhile this is what I was working....

Remote Access Development Services. It's only a proof of concept at this stage but it's free to any dev that wants it.

Reactions: bricky23

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
I actually might be able to help you out if you think you can keep it below a TB a month.

Let me know and Ill go back and check my usage to see how much bandwidth I have left over. I think I get 2 TB a month and I dont believe Im quite using one.

Last edited:

phqchevys

Dec 6, 2009
I can help you out in the hosting department. My hosting is unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth per month. I use IX web hosting. If you would like, I'll throw your files up on my site so that anyone that needs them and get them... I can upload them and you can hotlink to them...

Let me know... I'm not able to donate $$$ (due to the fact that i don't have much myself) but I can donate space and bandwidth. The Photon 4G needs good developers, and I'd hate to see you go...

cornelious2

Dec 27, 2007
Saint Chuck
I can help you out in the hosting department. My hosting is unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth per month. I use IX web hosting. If you would like, I'll throw your files up on my site so that anyone that needs them and get them... I can upload them and you can hotlink to them...

Let me know... I'm not able to donate $$$ (due to the fact that i don't have much myself) but I can donate space and bandwidth. The Photon 4G needs good developers, and I'd hate to see you go...

Most unlimited hosting plans. Will freak out after a tb a month.

Sent from my mopho

phqchevys

Dec 6, 2009
Just trying to help out...

But, you might want to check out there policies. There unlimited is truly unlimited... according to their TOS. That's why I went with them. Currently I have 5.91GB of used space and 518GB of bandwidth used this month... about average for me...

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
That's some BS right there. I've never used any of your work, but I've seen you around. (I have an Electrify, I can't use a lot of Photon stuff. Plus it's locked... 2.3.5.)

Seems like there should be a way, in this day and age, to croudsource the files somehow. Multiple dropboxes/sugar syncs/box.nets, or a torrent with a bunch of us hosting all the files. In fact if you can get just a few people with fast Internet at home to leave their BitTorrent client running, seeding your torrent, people could get that just as fast as they could from direct download. Linux uses BitTorrent, couldn't you do something like that? Hell, I only have 1.5MBit DSL, which lets me upload about 30kB/s before web browsing starts to lag, but I'd help seed. I don't have a Photon, but Electrify development kind of depends on Photon development.

Best of luck to you.

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
To All,

I appreciate the offers for file hosting but as the number of projects increase so would the bandwidth. The main source for the, to be honest, leeching is from locations outside xda. For example, China is responsible for a very large portion of it and have found hotlinking of my files in a couple of sites.

I was able to sell of some things today and have buyers lined up for others. I may be able to continue but at a much slower rate and will have to kill a number of pending projects.

I have found a possible solution but have had to kill a number of services. It also involves a very limited access website and file hosting has been moved to a service suggest to me by one of my users in Russia. I don't know how well this will work out as I will have to remove the update service from all future releases.

Please try the new site and let me know if it works. For now it's just a copy of the old site with a bunch of broken stuff. Unlike the old site, live site updates are now impossible and can only handle a limited number of connections.

That's some BS right there. I've never used any of your work, but I've seen you around. (I have an Electrify, I can't use a lot of Photon stuff. Plus it's locked... 2.3.5.)

Seems like there should be a way, in this day and age, to croudsource the files somehow. Multiple dropboxes/sugar syncs/box.nets, or a torrent with a bunch of us hosting all the files. In fact if you can get just a few people with fast Internet at home to leave their BitTorrent client running, seeding your torrent, people could get that just as fast as they could from direct download. Linux uses BitTorrent, couldn't you do something like that? Hell, I only have 1.5MBit DSL, which lets me upload about 30kB/s before web browsing starts to lag, but I'd help seed. I don't have a Photon, but Electrify development kind of depends on Photon development.

Best of luck to you.
You can say it's BS but there were a lot of things on the site the most free services do not allow. In addition to the site itself it had live support chat, a forum, an update server (think ROM Manager) as well as the entire Photon file archive and my own projects.

Multiple file hosting accounts makes file management a job unto itself. Torrents have been tried before with very little success.

Like I mentioned above, I have found a possible solution that may or may not work out but have had to kill a number of services.

Last edited:
Reactions: aikata

phqchevys

Dec 6, 2009
I will be more than happy to do something as simple as setting you up a ftp server. You would have full access to your personal "ftp folder" on my hosting server... If interested, PM me and ill set it up...

Sent from my MoPho using the Official XDA Android App

AGiLiT

Oct 28, 2010
Houston, TX
To those that have donated to me in the past I'm very sorry about this and will return your donations if you would like.

I appreciate the offer but would consider it boorish to take you up on it.

Frankly, I think it's unnecessary for you to even consider making the offer, but not surprising given the nature of your efforts to help and support this community.

Let's just say that this is taking the concept of giving back to others a little too far. ;)

Jo_795

Jan 8, 2011
I start my new job this Monday and once my money flows, I'll start donating to those who deserve it, i feel bad :( but yea glad to see your still around.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
i have most of the same files (old ones at least) hosted on holylivingfuck.com in my sig, i do however have a new host (seperate from hlf) which ill be uploaidng all my copies onto as well. if you could be so kind as to update the guide with the links ill be sending you that would be awesome :)

trying to make sure that we dont have any lost files due to domains etc

Th3Bill

Feb 6, 2012
Where I Am
I am now personally hosting the site but may have lost the original domain name. All Imperium services and ROMUpdater servers are now gone and the new site is very limited. I now no longer personally host any files and have found a third party service that pays me per download. The following projects are now dead:
  • Anything Galaxy Tab
  • Anything GS2
  • Anything G2X

The Martian Imperium site is now closed and in the process of being purged. In all likelihood there will be no new website and unless somebody here has a copy, all the files will disappear as well. iPage was the cheapest host I could find for the bandwidth users were pulling (500GB-1TB a month and over 1000 DL's a day). In addition to my own work, I was hosting all the SBF's, some high demand older ROMs and kernels, root-unlock-relock and other Photon related files.

I looked at alternate places to host but Mediafire would cost almost ten times as much and dropbox almost three times as much just to host files. I even covered the site in ads to help cover expenses with no real success. The core factor was that my wife and I went over the receipts yesterday and I have spent something like $1000USD this year in equipment and hosting. If I had received a $0.01 donation (after paypal takes it's cut) for every unique download I actually would have made money and been able to continue development. There were many things I had planned to release this year but as it stands I am leaving development and guide writing.

Damn unfortunate for the Photon community if we lose you. Definitely one of the very helpful devs out there. I do understand what you mean...lots of people like to use the work...not many understand what it costs you in time and energy, not to mention cash money. Best of luck to ya! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    • Anything Galaxy Tab
    • Anything GS2
    • Anything G2X

I actually might be able to help you out if you think you can keep it below a TB a month.

Let me know and Ill go back and check my usage to see how much bandwidth I have left over. I think I get 2 TB a month and I dont believe Im quite using one.
    What started all this was a "We need to have a talk" email from my host. They had been very forgiving about the bandwidth usage but had enough and it was upgrade to business class service or leave. Meanwhile this is what I was working....

Remote Access Development Services. It's only a proof of concept at this stage but it's free to any dev that wants it.
    To All,

I appreciate the offers for file hosting but as the number of projects increase so would the bandwidth. The main source for the, to be honest, leeching is from locations outside xda. For example, China is responsible for a very large portion of it and have found hotlinking of my files in a couple of sites.

I was able to sell of some things today and have buyers lined up for others. I may be able to continue but at a much slower rate and will have to kill a number of pending projects.

I have found a possible solution but have had to kill a number of services. It also involves a very limited access website and file hosting has been moved to a service suggest to me by one of my users in Russia. I don't know how well this will work out as I will have to remove the update service from all future releases.

Please try the new site and let me know if it works. For now it's just a copy of the old site with a bunch of broken stuff. Unlike the old site, live site updates are now impossible and can only handle a limited number of connections.

Best of luck to you.
    You can say it's BS but there were a lot of things on the site the most free services do not allow. In addition to the site itself it had live support chat, a forum, an update server (think ROM Manager) as well as the entire Photon file archive and my own projects.

Multiple file hosting accounts makes file management a job unto itself. Torrents have been tried before with very little success.

Like I mentioned above, I have found a possible solution that may or may not work out but have had to kill a number of services.