[Q] How to clear timeline in my files app?

Search This thread

wiatrp1

Jul 3, 2012
Elbląg
Is it possible to clear timeline in stock My file app? I have tried to select a file and delete by tapping bin icon, but this deleted that file also from original folder.

otyg

Apr 5, 2013
Unfortunately the "My Files" "Timeline" content is actually controlled by another process called "Media Storage" (this process scans all the files on the device looking for pictures, music, and other content then it builds a database so the system or apps such as music players can quickly find the content, it usually runs on boot-up and can update occasionally.

The only way to clear (or temporary clear) the timeline content is to clear the "Media Storage" database, by clicking "Force stop" and "Clear data" on the Media Storage process, though if you do this it will just rescan again eventually, and if you turn it off or prevent it from scanning you can loose access to your ringtones / alarms and other system sounds , also any music files on the device as a lot of applications use this service (otherwise everything would need to scan the memory card ./ memory for files causing increased cpu overhead and device lags....)...

See screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-06-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-06-49.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 4,371
  • Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-07-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-18-00-07-04.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 4,476

tsimitpo

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks a ton, otyg! It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing. I mostly wanted to clear the Timeline data and start it over, and this does seems to do that.

Wizzard2014

Dec 21, 2014
Figured it out

Plug tablet into the computer. Rename the folder that you don't want showing up with a '.' in front of it. I.e. "Adult" to ".Adult".

Then install Astro File manager, change the settings so that you can view hidden folders. And then you can still access the folder from the tablet, but will not show up in Timeline or the stock file manager.

otyg

Apr 5, 2013
Plug tablet into the computer. Rename the folder that you don't want showing up with a '.' in front of it. I.e. "Adult" to ".Adult".

Then install Astro File manager, change the settings so that you can view hidden folders. And then you can still access the folder from the tablet, but will not show up in Timeline or the stock file manager.

you might also be-able to add a .nomedia file to the folder too this is supposed to prevent the media scanner from scanning the folder contents, though it doesn't work on all devices and I haven't tested it with timeline. or samsung yet., thought I would throw it out there if anyone wants to test.

sherrouse

Nov 7, 2013
At this time it's still unclear if you can hide items or completely remove the from the recent items list, with out moving every little file and or download and the list will only repopulate as you continue to download or add files. Just tap the added date above each subsection and collapse each individual section. While this isn't a permanent fix and the list will repopulate once you reopen the My Files app, it's only a minor inconvenience for someone who uses the app occasionally. tempFileForShare.jpg

maty87

Aug 10, 2014
I've got files stored under sd card, folder, folder, .folder, folder, photo media scanner use to not see it and doesn't see it on my s5 but my tab 4 sees them if I click don't show hidden files it don't