[TOOL] Native ADB and Fastboot Flashable Zip

Search This thread

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Hello All,
I have taken the liberty of re-packaging the adb binary and fastboot binaries so they will work naively on Android into a flashable zip file. With these tools, you can theoretically use your Android device (plus a USB OTG Cable) to connect to another Android Device. If your device has a native USB port (such as the ASUS Transformers), it will work as well.

As not to conflict with the official adb in /system/bin (which does not work the same way), I renamed these to "kadb" and "kfastboot". You just need to supply your own Terminal Emulator (such as connectbot) to use.

Example Uses

1) Unlock a bootloader on a Nexus device (erases all data on the target device)
kfastboot oem unlock

2) Lock a bootloader
kfastboot oem lock

3) Boot a recovery
kfastboot boot /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

4) Flash a recovery
kfastboot flash recovery /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

5) Reboot into the bootloader
kadb reboot bootloader

6) Shell
kadb shell

7) Reboot into recovery
kadb reboot recovery

8) logcat
kadb logcat

9) Sideload an APK file
kadb install /sdcard/path/to/APK.APK

10) Push a file
kadb push /sdcard/path/to/file /sdcard/path/to/destination

Please remember that these are taking place on the remote device connected via USB. Most, if not ALL ADB commands are supported. You can even modify most linux based one-click root methods (by changing all "adb" references to "kadb" and "fastboot" with "kfastboot") and run them via shell. Its also perfect for remote debugging of embedded Android Systems. Hell, the uses are endless!

Installation Instructions
Note : You do not need to be rooted, you do however need a custom recovery or temp boot a custom recovery.
1) Flash the attached Zip File via any Recovery such as CWM or TWRP
2) Reboot and install a Terminal Emulator, if using ConnectBot, you should choose the "local" option.
3) Connect a device and test

This should support any ARM based device, so far I have tested it on my ASUS Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer 700 (Stock/Rooted)

HAVE FUN!!!

Attachments

• ADB_FastbootInstaller.zip
    983.4 KB · Views: 9,316

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hello All,
I have taken the liberty of re-packaging the adb binary and fastboot binaries so they will work naively on Android into a flashable zip file. With these tools, you can theoretically use your Android device (plus a USB OTG Cable) to connect to another Android Device. If your device has a native USB port (such as the ASUS Transformers), it will work as well.

As not to conflict with the official adb in /system/bin (which does not work the same way), I renamed these to "kadb" and "kfastboot". You just need to supply your own Terminal Emulator (such as connectbot) to use.

Example Uses

kfastboot oem unlock

2) Lock a bootloader
kfastboot oem lock

3) Boot a recovery

4) Flash a recovery

kadb reboot bootloader

6) Shell
kadb shell

7) Reboot into recovery
kadb reboot recovery

8) logcat
kadb logcat

9) Sideload an APK file

10) Push a file

Please remember that these are taking place on the remote device connected via USB. Most, if not ALL ADB commands are supported. You can even modify most linux based one-click root methods (by changing all "adb" references to "kadb" and "fastboot" with "kfastboot") and run them via shell. Its also perfect for remote debugging of embedded Android Systems. Hell, the uses are endless!

Note : You do not need to be rooted, you do however need a custom recovery or temp boot a custom recovery.
2) Reboot and install a Terminal Emulator, if using ConnectBot, you should choose the "local" option.

This should support any ARM based device, so far I have tested it on my ASUS Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer 700 (Stock/Rooted)

HAVE FUN!!!

Very interesting and nice work, certainly a lot of interesting possibilities for apps that could be written to take advantage of these features.

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Very interesting and nice work, certainly a lot of interesting possibilities for apps that could be written to take advantage of these features.

Yeh... I can picture one of you going to a store and rooting all of the Demo Tablets or Phones with your phones. With a small amount of effort, one can port ZergRush or a few of the "adb backup restore" exploits over to run naively on your Phone or Tablet. :p

No GameStop, BestBuy, Sprint Store, T-Mobile Store, AT&T Store, CompUSA or WalMart is safe

Last edited:
Reactions: parkerlreed

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Yeh... I can picture one of you going to a store and rooting all of the Demo Tablets or Phones with your phones. With a small amount of effort, one can port ZergRush or a few of the "adb backup restore" exploits over to run naively on your Phone or Tablet. :p

No GameStop, BestBuy, Sprint Store, T-Mobile Store, AT&T Store, CompUSA or WalMart is safe

Or Verizon Store, or any other store that sells smartphones and tablets ;). You could make a app that has a run button that when pressed automatically run's a root exploit such as Zerg Rush, then permanently flashes a custom recovery, then a custom ROM of your choice all one after the other. Think of it as mix of z4root, EZ-Recovery, and ROM manager all rolled into one. Only problem is not every device supports fastboot so some devices would be left out. Also wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying if the target device must be running a custom recovery or the host device must be running a custom recovery for this to work?

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
eft out. Also wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying if the target device must be running a custom recovery or the host device must be running a custom recovery for this to work?

Hello,
Just the host device needs a custom recovery only to install the tools (this can be perm flashed or temp flashed (fastboot boot recovery.img). Once the tools are installed, the recovery is no longer used.

The target device only needs USB Debugging enabled.

You are also correct in your statement that not all phones respond to the Fastboot protocol. The other tools such as Odin and NVFlash are not so easy to package. Some devices such as the ASUS Transformer TF700 have a Fastboot mode, assuming you unlock the bootloader. Fastboot is the standard on all HTC, Sony and any phone bearing the sacred "Nexus" moniker. It is also favored among "cheap/knockoff" devices.

There are several root tools that simply use adb to work.

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
What?!

Hello All,

HAVE FUN!!!

I'm truly stumped as to why you don't have pages of thank you posts here but I wanted to add mine. So often I cannot get to my PC or just want more freedom but need to use Fastboot. Now I'm free! Thank you so much! I :D

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
I'm truly stumped as to why you don't have pages of thank you posts here but I wanted to add mine. So often I cannot get to my PC or just want more freedom but need to use Fastboot. Now I'm free! Thank you so much! I :D

Thanks,
I guess the reason many have not downloaded this is because it was stuck in one of the lesser active sections of XDA-Developers. I assume that most people visit the portal and device specific development threads. Aside from being featured on the portal, not many ways to get people in here.

beepbloop

Jul 16, 2010
Just tried this out on my nexus 7 running ubuntu, this is indeed awesome, thanks for compiling it :)

rmclardy

Sep 13, 2006
Hi, just came across this whilst trying to find a solution to flashing a custom recovery on an Nexus 7 that i cannot get to a computer. (its in my car). this would fit my needs perfectly but i just cannot get it to work. wondering if im missing something.

ive tried using another N7, and also my Galaxy Nexus. i plug in using an OTG cable on host device, then a USB cable to the target device. the target device starts to charge, and it shows debugging icon on notification bar.

Then try "kadb devices" but shows no devices. could it be to do with the adb binaries needing updating? (current adb is 1.0.31, this one is 1.0.29).. All devices are running stock rooted 4.2.2 (except the target device, that im trying to root.)

i have a friend interested too, he tried with a 4.2.2 Nexus 7 to a HTC One X and is seeing similar issue.

hope theres an easy fix, or something obvious im doing wrong.

Cheers
Ross.

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Hi, just came across this whilst trying to find a solution to flashing a custom recovery on an Nexus 7 that i cannot get to a computer. (its in my car). this would fit my needs perfectly but i just cannot get it to work. wondering if im missing something.

ive tried using another N7, and also my Galaxy Nexus. i plug in using an OTG cable on host device, then a USB cable to the target device. the target device starts to charge, and it shows debugging icon on notification bar.

Then try "kadb devices" but shows no devices. could it be to do with the adb binaries needing updating? (current adb is 1.0.31, this one is 1.0.29).. All devices are running stock rooted 4.2.2 (except the target device, that im trying to root.)

i have a friend interested too, he tried with a 4.2.2 Nexus 7 to a HTC One X and is seeing similar issue.

Cheers
Ross.

Hello Ross,
The new "secure adb" that was introduced in Android 4.2.2 will not work at this time. You may be able to try running "adb devices" at root to see if it works for you. If not, you can manually reboot it into recovery and use kfastboot to flash the new recovery ;)

Reactions: pusspus

rmclardy

Sep 13, 2006
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply.

sorry for my delayed response, busy few days!. I did have another go at seeing if i could get two devices talking to each other using kfastboot, but again, i dont seem to be picking anything up. "kfastboot devices" just returns me to the prompt with no devices listed. im trying between a galaxy nexus and another nexus 7. my other problem is that the one i have fiited in the car no longer has access to the volume keys, so i cant even manually get into the bootloader. Shame its not possible to turn off the secure adb feature. lol.

it was worth a try tho.

Cheers
Ross.

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply.

sorry for my delayed response, busy few days!. I did have another go at seeing if i could get two devices talking to each other using kfastboot, but again, i dont seem to be picking anything up. "kfastboot devices" just returns me to the prompt with no devices listed. im trying between a galaxy nexus and another nexus 7. my other problem is that the one i have fiited in the car no longer has access to the volume keys, so i cant even manually get into the bootloader. Shame its not possible to turn off the secure adb feature. lol.

it was worth a try tho.

Cheers
Ross.

Hello Ross,
If your device is currently rooted, you should be able to run an App from the Play Store to reboot it into recovery (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.liveov.rebooter ), from there, kfastboot will work

Great tool. Just unlocked, installed recovery and rooted my Google Nexus 4 with my Asus TF300t.

It only took a while before I figured out that the first terminal command must be SU before I could use the kfastboot command.

Thanks for your work.

Harald

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Great tool. Just unlocked, installed recovery and rooted my Google Nexus 4 with my Asus TF300t.

It only took a while before I figured out that the first terminal command must be SU before I could use the kfastboot command.

Thanks for your work.

Harald

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk

Hello,
You would be correct as Fastboot needs root access to be able to run (it is the same as fastboot on Ubuntu)

Hello,
You would be correct as Fastboot needs root access to be able to run (it is the same as fastboot on Ubuntu)

Yes I know but did not remember it when using your great tool for the first time. Perhaps it is good to mention it in your first post.
You build a great tool, still amazed that I was able to unlock, root and install a recovery on my Nexus 4 thru my Asus tablet while on vacation . (laptop at home)
Just great.

Harald

Verstuurd van mijn ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T met Tapatalk

KMyers

Dec 28, 2006
Miami, Florida
plus.kmyers.me
Yes I know but did not remember it when using your great tool for the first time. Perhaps it is good to mention it in your first post.
You build a great tool, still amazed that I was able to unlock, root and install a recovery on my Nexus 4 thru my Asus tablet while on vacation . (laptop at home)
Just great.

Harald

Verstuurd van mijn ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T met Tapatalk

Yes, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I was in Texas for a few days and my HTC EVO 4G LTE had an unfortunate run in with the Drink Cart on the Airplane. I had to go out and purchase a new phone at the Sprint Store in Texas. I had the phone purchased and rooted in about 10 minutes :D. Thanks to revone, unlocking the bootloader on the HTC one took almost no effort and I had S-Off to boot. All from my ASUS Transformer 700

saurabh2310

Apr 29, 2011
Delhi
Just what i was looking for

I am yet to test it out, but i surely am very happy to see this thing actually exists. Just googled it out of the the blue and "kaboom!"here it was.. :D

Keep up the good work.
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

Example Uses

kfastboot oem unlock

2) Lock a bootloader
    kfastboot oem lock

3) Boot a recovery

4) Flash a recovery

kadb reboot bootloader

6) Shell
    kadb shell

7) Reboot into recovery
    kadb reboot recovery

8) logcat
    kadb logcat

9) Sideload an APK file

10) Push a file

HAVE FUN!!!
    I tried with 2 phones by otg and didn't recognize them or says device off, any idea? Do I need some kind of drivers?

adb has been updated with new security features. this was compiled from an older version.

Cheers
    Ross.

Hello Ross,
    The new "secure adb" that was introduced in Android 4.2.2 will not work at this time. You may be able to try running "adb devices" at root to see if it works for you. If not, you can manually reboot it into recovery and use kfastboot to flash the new recovery ;)
    Updates

Is there any chance that this utility is going to get updated? Perhaps if the author is no longer around to update someone else has the know how to do this. I would love to see this mod get updated semi regularly, something like every couple months or whenever ADB or fastboot is updated, although I'm not sure how frequent that is or how much work it would entail. Love this utility but have a lot of newer phones and would be a lot more comfortable using versions that are up to date with the features of android. If noone can do it then it's a real shame, this is a very interesting and useful tool.