[LIST] Quick & useful links to Kernels / ROMs / Great apps

Search This thread

TheChouffy

Mar 10, 2014
www.chouffy.net
Hi,

I recently (re)started to play with my NSTG, and I did some digging in theses forums so I made a list with all the useful information I found here.
All of this helped me to make my Nook like it's brand new :D

I hope that I'll avoid some time-consuming dig to people here and think that it'll be useful to any newcomer !
Please let me know if there's any problems (links, translation, ...)

For information, I also published it on my blog, here.
Pour les français, vous pouvez trouver la version originale ici !

CWM Recovery
Differents version : on the SD Card (128 Mb or 2 Gb), or integrated in the system, see here - XDA.
For launching it, just power on the Nook and press the two lower buttons (left & right) when the screen change for "Read Forever", and wait for the recovery

Kernels
Kernel installer via CWM : Download this archive file here and place the uImage and uRamdisk files in the /boot directory, then flash it.

Compatible with the 1.2.x system :
FastMode application: GitHub and FastMode2 : XDA : very useful to switch refreshing mode !
Finally, you'll find some useful scripts here.

Roms

Base 1.1.x (NST) :
Base 1.2.x (NST et NSTG) :
Some useful applications

Notes

Usefuls ADB commands

• Remount the system with Read-Write rights : mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system
  • See the actual CPU speed (BogoMIPS) : cat /proc/cpuinfo

Edits :

• 2015-01-21 : Update ADW and Extended Power Menu

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

@TheChouffy, nice list, thank you!

Would you care to explain your issues with @antsm's power menu mod? I betcha I could get you all cleared up. ;)

TheChouffy

Mar 10, 2014
www.chouffy.net
@TheChouffy, nice list, thank you!

Would you care to explain your issues with @antsm's power menu mod? I betcha I could get you all cleared up. ;)

Thank you for your support !

I tried to replace the framework.jar, but I was stuck in a boot-loop on the "Nook with dot" startup screen.
Maybe I did not replace the permissions (chmod 644), as I installed via CWM ?

I'll try maybe next time, but as I have not installed the CWM Recovery on the Nook, I fear the Reboot to Recovery button :D (as it does a factory reset, isn't it ?)

N

NOOK!E

@TheChouffy, I'd recommend using ES File Explorer to copy/paste the framework.jar from the external sdcard (wherever you placed it) to /system/framework. You won't get a bootloop, I promise. Don't use CWM to install it - that just makes it harder! :p

Use the instructions here to install CWM as your default recovery. I can testify that if you install CWM on your Nook, the "Recovery" button will take you to CWM, and not an instant factory reset.

TheChouffy

Mar 10, 2014
www.chouffy.net
@TheChouffy, I'd recommend using ES File Explorer to copy/paste the framework.jar from the external sdcard (wherever you placed it) to /system/framework. You won't get a bootloop, I promise. Don't use CWM to install it - that just makes it harder! :p

Use the instructions here to install CWM as your default recovery. I can testify that if you install CWM on your Nook, the "Recovery" button will take you to CWM, and not an instant factory reset.

I retried to install the modded framework.jar and it worked ! It's just (much) longer to boot, so I don't know if I'm gonna keep it.

I did not installed CWM as recovery as I thought I'll lose the v166 Kernel but I mis-read the install script : the two can be present at the same time = :good:

BUT I don't know why, my Nook suddenly refuse to start after these modifications (while that worked before and I haven't changed anything) ... A partial restore of /boot and /system corrected that.

Anyway, thanks for your help ! (I'll try to read some books now :D)

N

NOOK!E

I retried to install the modded framework.jar and it worked ! It's just (much) longer to boot, so I don't know if I'm gonna keep it.

I did not installed CWM as recovery as I thought I'll lose the v166 Kernel but I mis-read the install script : the two can be present at the same time = :good:

BUT I don't know why, my Nook suddenly refuse to start after these modifications (while that worked before and I haven't changed anything) ... A partial restore of /boot and /system corrected that.

Anyway, thanks for your help ! (I'll try to read some books now :D)

It only takes a super long time to boot the first time you replace the framework.jar. After that, back to normal boot time. :good:

Have a fun reading time! :laugh:

Top Liked Posts