Search This thread

lohanbarth

Mar 20, 2012
la Valette
xdaforums.com
Vivo V21 5G
motorola-unlock-bootloader.jpg

UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER​

WARNING: UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
NOTE: Unlocking the bootloader will Wipe/ factory reset your device, and will delete all personal data from your device such as apps, photos, messages, and settings.

Prepare Your Moto G6/G6+ for Bootloader Unlock

Code:
Your device must be charged up to 70% before going completely through the process mentioned below.
Make sure that you have installed proper device drivers on your computer.

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Make sure to take a backup of your entire device data.
  • Download the Android SDK OR Download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot
  • Install the latest Motorola USB Drivers on your desktop. Download here.
  • Go To Settings -> Dev Settings, And Select "Allow OEM Unlock"
  • Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
  • Open Command Prompt on androidsdk/platform-tools/ (Hold Shift and right click and press open command window here)
  • If you have downloaded Minimal ADB and Fastboot Go to C://Program Files/Minimal ADB and Fastboot and open Command Prompt from there.
  • Connect your Phone to PC
  • Type this in the CMD prompt window - fastboot oem get_unlock_data
  • You will get a return string. Copy it. [Right Click-Mark- Mark the text by pressing the shift key-Now press Ctrl+C]
  • Paste all the lines together in a notepad. Remove the empty spaces.
  • Now go to the Motorola Site.Sign in using your Google account or Motorola ID. Scroll down the page and paste the copied string in the field at step #6. Then click on ‘Can my device be unlocked?’, after which a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button will appear at the bottom of page.
  • To get your unlock key, select the ‘I Agree’ option. Note: You will receive an email with your Unlock Key at the email address you used to log in there.
  • Important – Copy the 20-character key that Motorola sent you via email. Make sure your device is connected.
  • Then in CMD type: fastboot devices (To check your device is connected)
  • Then type: fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY

NOTE: In above command, replace the word ‘UNIQUE_KEY’ with the unlock code that you got via email. Then hit enter and the unlocking process should begin. Wait for a while and soon you’ll see ‘Bootloader Unlocked’ warning on your Moto G6/G6+.

To relock the bootloader:
before re-locking the bootloader, you must have reinstalled the official firmware
Go to Fastboot and give the command fastboot oem lock

Last edited:

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Thank you! Great guide. :highfive:

To relock the bootloader:[/COLOR]

But please,
Advise that prior to relock the bootloader the stock firmware needs to be restored. This is important if you replaced the recovery (with TWRP), installed a custom kernel, rooted with MagiskSU (as it replaces the RAMDISK of the kernel), or replaced the bootimage (for disable the unlock message).

In fact, prior to relock is good to: wipe all data, restore all stock partitions, and then (and only then) relock the bootloader.

I hope this helps!
Regards.

lohanbarth

Mar 20, 2012
la Valette
xdaforums.com
Vivo V21 5G

But please,
Advise that prior to relock the bootloader the stock firmware needs to be restored. This is important if you replaced the recovery (with TWRP), installed a custom kernel, rooted with MagiskSU (as it replaces the RAMDISK of the kernel), or replaced the bootimage (for disable the unlock message).

In fact, prior to relock is good to: wipe all data, restore all stock partitions, and then (and only then) relock the bootloader.

I hope this helps!
Regards.

here is edit and thank you for the info;)

sicae

Dec 17, 2013
I just bought my Moto G6 Plus (RETEU) and can't unlock it (yet). When I enter the unlock string I get "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."

If anybody knows of an alternative to patiently waiting for them to allow unlocking, I'm all ears!

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
I just bought my Moto G6 Plus (RETEU) and can't unlock it (yet). When I enter the unlock string I get "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."

If anybody knows of an alternative to patiently waiting for them to allow unlocking, I'm all ears!

Damn it, I have the same problem. I bought moto G6 plus because motorola allows to unlock bootloader :(
However I sent a message to the motorola dedicated thread for bootloader unlocking problems.
I hope there is a solution otherwise I will return the phone.

Reactions: sicae

sicae

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the info! I posted in the same thread, hope they still actively monitor it...

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
ty - didn't see it in the 1st post here. Will try :)
You're welcome. Sorry it is in the first post of Motorola forum, not here. However, Motorola forum's moderator told me that they will send me the code within 2 business days.

Update: it seems that Motorola is updating online tool. Retry to request unlock key now ;)

Inviato dal mio moto g(6) plus utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: domics

PALASHlo7u

Nov 15, 2015
Mod Edit:

Please do not quote the entire OP.

Either quote JUST the first line, or use "hide content' tags"

[HIDE*] content to be quoted [/HIDE*] remove the *s for code to work.

UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER​

WARNING: UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
NOTE: Unlocking the bootloader will Wipe/ factory reset your device, and will delete all personal data from your device such as apps, photos, messages, and settings.

Code:
Your device must be charged up to 70% before going completely through the process mentioned below.

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
  • Open Command Prompt on androidsdk/platform-tools/ (Hold Shift and right click and press open command window here)
  • If you have downloaded Minimal ADB and Fastboot Go to C://Program Files/Minimal ADB and Fastboot and open Command Prompt from there.
  • You will get a return string. Copy it. [Right Click-Mark- Mark the text by pressing the shift key-Now press Ctrl+C]
  • Now go to the Motorola Site.Sign in using your Google account or Motorola ID. Scroll down the page and paste the copied string in the field at step #6. Then click on ‘Can my device be unlocked?’, after which a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button will appear at the bottom of page.
  • To get your unlock key, select the ‘I Agree’ option. Note: You will receive an email with your Unlock Key at the email address you used to log in there.
  • Important – Copy the 20-character key that Motorola sent you via email. Make sure your device is connected.

NOTE: In above command, replace the word ‘UNIQUE_KEY’ with the unlock code that you got via email. Then hit enter and the unlocking process should begin. Wait for a while and soon you’ll see ‘Bootloader Unlocked’ warning on your Moto G6/G6+.

before re-locking the bootloader, you must have reinstalled the official firmware

I'm getting this error:
(bootloader) slot-count: not found
(bootloader) slot-suffixes: not found
(bootloader) slot-suffixes: not found

Last edited by a moderator:

algieba

Sep 2, 2013
Freiburg
front camera broken

hi

i unlocked my bootloader (G6 plus) with this tutorial, and now my front camera doesn't work anymore. When i want to select it in the camera-app, the app freeze and crash.
What can I do?
Shall I relock the bootloader, and send it back to amazon?
I didn't modified the recovery, and flashed nothing. Is it enough to make
Code:
fastboot oem lock
And do I have to save my data, because there is a full wipe like in the unlock?

Or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help!

hi

i unlocked my bootloader (G6 plus) with this tutorial, and now my front camera doesn't work anymore. When i want to select it in the camera-app, the app freeze and crash.
What can I do?
Shall I relock the bootloader, and send it back to amazon?
I didn't modified the recovery, and flashed nothing. Is it enough to make And do I have to save my data, because there is a full wipe like in the unlock?

Or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help!
Your camera problem is not related to unlocking the bootloader, also your warranty is void now, you should do a full factory reset again and see it that fixes it, if not reflash stock rom

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
Does requesting the code void the warranty, or only actually unlocking it?
No requesting will not void the warranty. Idk why dude is saying just even requesting it will do that cause it doesn't lol. Once you get the bootloader unlock code you get from the Moto website and put it in cmd and actually unlock the bootloader is when you void the warranty. The only exception is if you somehow have gotten a Dev edition of the phone.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
No requesting will not void the warranty. Idk why dude is saying just even requesting it will do that cause it doesn't lol. Once you get the bootloader unlock code you get from the Moto website and put it in cmd and actually unlock the bootloader is when you void the warranty. The only exception is if you somehow have gotten a Dev edition of the phone.

The Motorola unlock bootloader site and accompanying legal document both suggest that obtaining the unlock code is enough to void your Motorola warranty. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a the way it's been written (though I'm not a lawyer) suggests your warranty is void regardless of whether you use it or not. Of course, local consumer law may still offer you protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: billard412

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER​

Code:

INSTRUCTIONS:

To relock the bootloader:[/COLOR]

But please,

I hope this helps!
    Regards.

But please,

I hope this helps!
    Regards.

here is edit and thank you for the info;)
    Hi,
    I got a new G6 recently. I don't want to get my warranty voided until it expires. With other phone makes I have noticed that manufacturer's unlock code sites get taken offline after some time. So my question is if I get the unlock code from Motorola now, but don't unlock the bootloader, do I still have the warranty?
    What voids the warranty, obtaining the code form the site, or unlocking the bootloader?
    Thanks in advance :)

Unlocking the bootloader does NOT void the warranty unless the act of unlocking the bootloader causes a warranty situation. For example, if your screen fails, they cannot deny your coverage because you unlocked the bootloader. The hardware failure of the screen is not attributable to the bootloader being unlocked. OTOH, let's say you got some sort of virus that was able to brick your phone because of the unlocked bootloader. You can't return your phone to Motorola in that case. Also, if Google decides to block you from the Play Store because of the unlocked bootloader, you can't complain to Motorola.

Modifications to hardware are protected by the The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in the USA.
    That's good to know. I thought the warranty is voided even for hardware. Thanks :)

Not at all! Not in the US at least. In fact you can modify your hardware too, and if the failure wasn't a direct result of your tinkering, it still applies. (Ex: You change a tail light and the engine blows.) It falls under the right to repair. I'm very happy to see this mentioned. Not enough people are aware of it.