Nov 9, 2011
Texas

Independent Android Project
and
The House Of The Samurai
Present

USB HOST MODE FOR THE EPIC
(special thanks to SZTUPY for his code and help)​

DISCLAIMER: We are in no way responsible for any damages that you may cause to your device or other equipment used... With that said I would like to add some input on this. The samsung epic seems to have an overcharge protection. When you apply to much voltage it seems to reboot. In order to find this out I burnt up a usb hub. With that said learn from my mistakes more power is not always a good thing... and 10v and 1.4a is far to much power for a hub. ;) stick with 5v 0.7a...

SIDE NOTE: The I.A.P.Appv3... Works with both Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich Roms. A Colaboration of Earthbound And Luna ! ! ! Still being refined but you have access to everything IAP has to offer with this app, from downloads, current news, to a donation page...

Download Link: I.A.P.APPv3

What is USB Host Mode: Well usb host mode was SzTupy's continuation of others work on implementing access to usb media & hid devices from our phone. He succeeded in porting it to many different devices but had not done it for the epic. With a little help from him, I was able to port it and get it working properly.

.:Materials:.
Code:
~OTG connector (do your self a favor & save on the headaches, Amazon $3)
~A jig (made of 2 male & a female USB connectors with a power supply)
~HID device/hdd/or some type of flash media (USB device)
~A 5v 0.7amp power supply (your stock epic charger...)

Notes: even though the kernel has ntfs support you will need a program like drive mount in order to mount these devices.

What works:
Code:
  ~ FAT32 support (usb host controller)
  ~ HID support (usb host controller) (love the mouse pointer... lol)
  ~ Wireless HID support now working (a bit finicky but it works)
  ~ NTFS support (drive mount) (watched a full video on my epic today)

What doesn't work yet:
Code:
  ~ Plugging a usb 1.0 device into a 2.0 usb hub

Please watch these videos before attempting this:
.:JIG SETUP:.

.:HOST MODE WITH HID DEVICE:.

Now that you have seen the setup and what you need.

.: Phone Setup :.
Code:
#1 download usb host controller by sztupy
#2 download and install usb host mode samurai kernel
#3 go into settings in usb host controller app..
#4 set the settings that are displayed below

.: SETUP THE JIG :.
Code:
#1 Plug the one end of your jig into the power supply.
#2 Plug your usb hub into one end of the jig.
#3 Plug a usb media device (fat32 format) into the usb hub.
#4 Plug the OTG Cable into the other end of the jig.

.: PLUGGING IN THE PHONE :.
Code:
[I]*NOTE : make sure your jig is all setup. Power Connected. USB hub connected, at least 1 usb media device plugged into the hub, and your otg cable connected to the hub.*[/I]

#1 MAKE SURE YOUR SYSTEM IS MOUNTED READ/WRITE (i use root explorer to check this)
#2 Plug the micro usb end into your samsung epic micro usb port.
(you will see it enumerate the the hub and the device, then it will show your devices listed below that.
#4 Select mount and choose your mount point (mount point is where you will view your files at from an explorer)
#5 Now open an explorer of your choice (once again I use root explorer)
#6 Navigate to the mount point you set. So if you used /mnt/emme it will be in mnt/emme, i set a mount point in my sd card /sdcard/host so I can browse the sd card to the host file and view, copy paste or edit files on the media device in that file...
#7 When you are done be sure to unmount the devices before pulling out the otg cable from the phone !
(if you do not do this depending on where you mounted it (system = reboot the phone) (sdcard = cannot mount to a pc, or unmount and remount from the system until you reboot)

.: DOWNLOAD LINKS :.

.: CM9/AOKP/MIUIv4 :.

SAMURAI.AKITA.CM9.OTG.06.08.15.38.zip

• voodoo color tweaks
  • battery tweaks (not BLX crap)
  • low battery shutdown fix
  • Governor & I/O tweaks
  • 1.5GHz max cpu freq
  • Cache Flush Routine
  • 400mhz GPU overclocking
  • USB Host Mode
  • + many other Samurai Tweaks

.:SOURCE:.

BARBONE.CM9.SAMURAI.HOST.MODE

Last edited:

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
So I watched the vid, and the hardware needed looks to be:

the standard power supply for my epic
standard male/female USB cord (to be cut to have power wires added to it)
adapter for standard USB (like on the HD) to the mini USB (of my epic)

That it hardware wise?

Everything else looked to be straight forward in the setup and explanation, just wanted to make sure I had the HW correct before I started cutting.

jnadke

Jul 17, 2008
Source code link?

I'm not going to turn this into an argument of how it has to be formatted, but XDA rules do require it, in full.

earthbound[iap]

Dec 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
indandroidprj.zxq.net
Source code link?

I'm not going to turn this into an argument of how it has to be formatted, but XDA rules do require it, in full.

Do you see a link yet ? ? ? The kernel hasn't even gone live yet the only people with access to the source code or even the kernel right now are current IAP developers... When the link goes up so will the source code... Pay close attention... Do not bring your source nazi BS in here before the thread is even a go... My source is always up to date and I always provide a link.....

I was going to push a commit but just for this instance of source nazi'ism b4 the kernel is even up for the general public, I believe I will throw the source up fresh with no commits. Thank you for your time and if anyone wants to truly contribute to the host cause with some valuable input just ask me once the kernel goes live and I will send you a patch otherwise the rest of you can weed out the commit from a completely commit free source... I suggest getting a diff viewer.... LMFAO !

THANKS AGAIN,
Justin D. Maggiolo
EarthBound.IAP

P.S. You got me thinkin about not even releasing this publicly now... I'm ok with that and I'm pretty sure our devs are as well...

Last edited:

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
What the hell they have a GPL committee now for earthbound.. seems like everytime you post things they automatically say something about it. Before someone says how important is i understand... but its not even up yet... let it go! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DCRocks

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
thing is the kernel isn't even up yet, I do not have to provide source until it goes public... Even before the kernel comes out got cherry pickers hunting away.... lol.

I'm a cherry picker :)

But yes, kernel source does not have to be released for a time after the kernel is released.

His point is that somebody like me could go in, steal the commit, release my kernel and have people think I did it first.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
Source code link?

Why would you require source for a video of something. Unless the actual kernel is up for download, source is not needed.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DCRocks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [kernel] iap samurai *cm9 host mode updated* 04/21/2012

Reservered. Earthbound has passed on the OP to Uber.​

Independent Android Project
    and
    The House Of The Samurai
    Present

USB HOST MODE FOR THE EPIC
    (special thanks to SZTUPY for his code and help)​

DISCLAIMER: We are in no way responsible for any damages that you may cause to your device or other equipment used... With that said I would like to add some input on this. The samsung epic seems to have an overcharge protection. When you apply to much voltage it seems to reboot. In order to find this out I burnt up a usb hub. With that said learn from my mistakes more power is not always a good thing... and 10v and 1.4a is far to much power for a hub. ;) stick with 5v 0.7a...

SIDE NOTE: The I.A.P.Appv3... Works with both Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich Roms. A Colaboration of Earthbound And Luna ! ! ! Still being refined but you have access to everything IAP has to offer with this app, from downloads, current news, to a donation page...

Download Link: I.A.P.APPv3

What is USB Host Mode: Well usb host mode was SzTupy's continuation of others work on implementing access to usb media & hid devices from our phone. He succeeded in porting it to many different devices but had not done it for the epic. With a little help from him, I was able to port it and get it working properly.

.:Materials:.
    Code:
    ~OTG connector (do your self a favor & save on the headaches, Amazon $3)
    ~A jig (made of 2 male & a female USB connectors with a power supply)
    ~HID device/hdd/or some type of flash media (USB device)
    ~A 5v 0.7amp power supply (your stock epic charger...)

Notes: even though the kernel has ntfs support you will need a program like drive mount in order to mount these devices.

What works:
    Code:
      ~ FAT32 support (usb host controller)
      ~ HID support (usb host controller) (love the mouse pointer... lol)
      ~ Wireless HID support now working (a bit finicky but it works)
      ~ NTFS support (drive mount) (watched a full video on my epic today)

What doesn't work yet:
    Code:
      ~ Plugging a usb 1.0 device into a 2.0 usb hub

Please watch these videos before attempting this:
    .:JIG SETUP:.

.:HOST MODE WITH HID DEVICE:.

Now that you have seen the setup and what you need.

.: Phone Setup :.
    Code:
    #1 download usb host controller by sztupy
    #2 download and install usb host mode samurai kernel
    #3 go into settings in usb host controller app..
    #4 set the settings that are displayed below

.: SETUP THE JIG :.
    Code:
    #1 Plug the one end of your jig into the power supply.
    #2 Plug your usb hub into one end of the jig.
    #3 Plug a usb media device (fat32 format) into the usb hub.
    #4 Plug the OTG Cable into the other end of the jig.

.: PLUGGING IN THE PHONE :.
    Code:
    [I]*NOTE : make sure your jig is all setup. Power Connected. USB hub connected, at least 1 usb media device plugged into the hub, and your otg cable connected to the hub.*[/I]

#1 MAKE SURE YOUR SYSTEM IS MOUNTED READ/WRITE (i use root explorer to check this)
    #2 Plug the micro usb end into your samsung epic micro usb port.
    (you will see it enumerate the the hub and the device, then it will show your devices listed below that.
    #4 Select mount and choose your mount point (mount point is where you will view your files at from an explorer)
    #5 Now open an explorer of your choice (once again I use root explorer)
    #6 Navigate to the mount point you set. So if you used /mnt/emme it will be in mnt/emme, i set a mount point in my sd card /sdcard/host so I can browse the sd card to the host file and view, copy paste or edit files on the media device in that file...
    #7 When you are done be sure to unmount the devices before pulling out the otg cable from the phone !
    (if you do not do this depending on where you mounted it (system = reboot the phone) (sdcard = cannot mount to a pc, or unmount and remount from the system until you reboot)

.: DOWNLOAD LINKS :.

.: CM9/AOKP/MIUIv4 :.

SAMURAI.AKITA.CM9.OTG.06.08.15.38.zip

• voodoo color tweaks
    • battery tweaks (not BLX crap)
    • low battery shutdown fix
    • Governor & I/O tweaks
    • 1.5GHz max cpu freq
    • Cache Flush Routine
    • 400mhz GPU overclocking
    • USB Host Mode
    • + many other Samurai Tweaks

.:SOURCE:.

BARBONE.CM9.SAMURAI.HOST.MODE
    OK guys, that's enough for both threads.
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Thanks Kenny, and please behave both of you... Just treat each other with a little respect.
    Thread cleaned!
    Do not make me come back here.
    Thanks
    FNM

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    Source code link?

Do you see a link yet ? ? ? The kernel hasn't even gone live yet the only people with access to the source code or even the kernel right now are current IAP developers... When the link goes up so will the source code... Pay close attention... Do not bring your source nazi BS in here before the thread is even a go... My source is always up to date and I always provide a link.....

I was going to push a commit but just for this instance of source nazi'ism b4 the kernel is even up for the general public, I believe I will throw the source up fresh with no commits. Thank you for your time and if anyone wants to truly contribute to the host cause with some valuable input just ask me once the kernel goes live and I will send you a patch otherwise the rest of you can weed out the commit from a completely commit free source... I suggest getting a diff viewer.... LMFAO !

THANKS AGAIN,
    Justin D. Maggiolo
    EarthBound.IAP

P.S. You got me thinkin about not even releasing this publicly now... I'm ok with that and I'm pretty sure our devs are as well...