[Xposed] Scoop - Catch the stack trace when an app crashes

Search This thread

MrWasdennnoch

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
Scoop: Catches a stack trace when an app crashes unexpectedly

This module - as the description says - saves the stack trace of a crashing app and displays all crashes in a list so you don't have to look through a long logcat anymore. Additionally you get a notification on every crash (configurable) which already displays the most important information.

This module is based off the module Cracker which sadly isn't being developed anymore so I made an updated version which catches crashes more reliably (supports custom crash handlers set by apps), features material design and contains more functionality such as:
  • Search in crashed apps
  • Search in stack trace
  • Crash preview in notification
  • Combination of same crashes / apps to avoid long repetetive lists
  • Crash blacklist
  • Quick actions to copy / share a stack trace

Download: http://repo.xposed.info/module/tk.wasdennnoch.scoop
Source: https://github.com/wasdennnoch/Scoop

You can help translate this module on GitHub!

Changelog:

• Make app search case-insensitive
  • Use separate view to select text
  • Add button to toggle selection mode (to avoid a bug where you can't scroll anymore)
  • Make stack trace selectable
  • Portugese (BR) and German translation
  • Option to force English language
  • Add option to sort crashes by apps
  • Fix long app names and crash date overlapping
  • Add option to selectively delete crashes
  • Add blacklist to filter out crashes from specific apps
  • Add about screen
  • Fix nothing working at all. Sorry for the many versions, but I don't have a device to test the Xposed part anymore (I updated to Nougat) and also this is the first time I enabled ProGurad in an Xposed module.
  • Completely disable module not activated warning as something seems to be broken
  • Add compatibility with ancient Xposed versions (52)
  • Add search to overview
  • Add option to combine same crashes into one item
  • Fix constant module deactivated warning again
  • Fix constant module disabled warning
  • Fix crash when opening detail view
  • Add option to limit line width
  • Add search function to detail view
  • Added Copy/Share buttons to notification (configurable)
  • Added module not activated "warning"
  • Improved stack trace preview in notification
  • Directly open crash details from notification
  • Minor fixes and improvements (duh)
  • Fix devious face
  • Fix self-crash when catching custom throwable subclasses
  • Minor fixes
  • Initial release

XDA:DevDB Information
Scoop, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
MrWasdennnoch
Source Code: https://github.com/wasdennnoch/Scoop

Xposed Package Name: tk.wasdennnoch.scoop

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.6.4
Stable Release Date: 2017-04-01

Created 2016-12-23
Last Updated 2017-04-01

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,009
  • 2.png
    2.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 2,075
  • 3.png
    3.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,041
  • 4.png
    4.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,999
  • 5.png
    5.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 2,015
  • 6.png
    6.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 2,079
  • 7.png
    7.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,949
  • 8.png
    8.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,630
  • 9.png
    9.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,468
Last edited:

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
Done and available in v1.3.0 :)
(Disabled by default)

Thank you. I upgraded from version 1.1.0 to 1.3.0 and now it says I do not have Xposed installed. I've restarted, cleaned up data, reinstalled, same thing. Before clearing the data, by clicking on the crash log of another app, Scoop also crash. Attached are the logs logs

Attachments

• LivebootAndXposedLog.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Jul 9, 2016
Word wrap is very appreciated!

Version 1.2 and 1.3 does't work on n910f (note 4) running marshmallow 6.0.1

Definitely a good upgrade from the good Cracker.

I have an old S3 on 4.1.2 (that i use for debugging) with xposed version 54, could this beatiful tool work on xposed version lower than 81 like Cracker?

MrWasdennnoch

Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
Thank you. I upgraded from version 1.1.0 to 1.3.0 and now it says I do not have Xposed installed. I've restarted, cleaned up data, reinstalled, same thing. Before clearing the data, by clicking on the crash log of another app, Scoop also crash. Attached are the logs logs

I fixed the warning (yet have to push it), but I need a logcat to resolve the crash. Your one unfortunately didn't contain any crash info. Make sure to capture it during the crash (because the module doesn't always catch itself :p ).

Last edited by a moderator:

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
I fixed the warning (yet have to push it), but I need a logcat to resolve the crash. Your one unfortunately didn't contain any crash info. Make sure to capture it during the crash (because the module doesn't always catch itself :p ).

I took it with the Logcat Extreme app, I hope to be enough. I configured it as verbose, fresh log, main, brief. Let me know if you have any better. You said that Scoop does not log its own crash logs, but actually once here it happened, before clearing Scoop data

Attachments

• Log_2016-12-25_17-27-31.txt
    178.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: MrWasdennnoch

MrWasdennnoch

Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
I took it with the Logcat Extreme app, I hope to be enough. I configured it as verbose, fresh log, main, brief. Let me know if you have any better. You said that Scoop does not log its own crash logs, but actually once here it happened, before clearing Scoop data

I said "not always" :p
I fixed it in v1.3.1. The fault was a misconfigured Proguard which removed more than it should have. I enabled Proguard for debug builds to avoid such issues in the future.

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
I said "not always" :p
I fixed it in v1.3.1. The fault was a misconfigured Proguard which removed more than it should have. I enabled Proguard for debug builds to avoid such issues in the future.

No more crashes, but the notification that Xposed is not installed persists. I updated the module, cleaned data and rebooted

Edit: Looking at this screenshot I recommend future features like search in the main screen, grouping of same app logs and individual exclusion

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-25-19-05-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-25-19-05-29.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 697
  • xposed_error_20161225_190546.log
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

MrWasdennnoch

Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
No more crashes, but the notification that Xposed is not installed persists. I updated the module, cleaned data and rebooted
Looking at this screenshot I recommend future features like search in the main screen, grouping of same app logs and individual exclusion

Now it should be fixed. Problem is I can't test it because I updated to N and thus don't have Xposed anymore, so I had to try different ways. And of course it was Proguard again.
I'll add the search soon, I thought of only searching for different apps though and not searchin the short description. Not sure how I should approach the grouping but it's possible too. With exclusion you basically mean blacklisting?

Reactions: KaMyKaSii

Fabian R�ling

Feb 13, 2014
Xposed bridge version

Xposed installer tells me that I need Xposed bridge version 81. There are no updates for the XPosed bridge for me and the current version is 54, so I think that's a bug.

MrWasdennnoch

Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
Xposed installer tells me that I need Xposed bridge version 81. There are no updates for the XPosed bridge for me and the current version is 54, so I think that's a bug.

The newest available version is 87, but I just remembered: 81 isn't available below LP, right? I'll fix that in the next release.
EDIT: Compatibility down to 52 added in v1.4.0

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2016
Compatibility down to 52 is very good, thanks.
The problem is in the image below :(
Screenshot_SmartSelect_2016-12-26-16-10-39.png
Only version 1.1 works for me (n910f note 4 running marshmallow 6.0.1)

Last edited:

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
The bug of not having Xposed installed continues, but the app continues to intercept the crashes normally

Attachments

• xposed_error_20161226_160539.log
    120.2 KB · Views: 5

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
That's really weird, it hould be working. I completely disabled the warning and will have a look again when Xposed for N is available.
I reported with version 1.3.2, although you talk about version 1.4.0, it was not available when I opened the Xposed Installer. I will update now

Edit: The new version is not working, no crash is being logged

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

MrWasdennnoch

Nov 17, 2015
wasdennnoch.me
I reported with version 1.3.2, although you talk about version 1.4.0, it was not available when I opened the Xposed Installer. I will update now

Edit: The new version is not working, no crash is being logged

1.4.2 should fix it... Really bad that I can't test it myself, it could've avoided many issues. But hey, at least I now know how to configure ProGuard properly. At least I hope so.

Reactions: KaMyKaSii

KaMyKaSii

Feb 25, 2015
1.4.2 should fix it... Really bad that I can't test it myself, it could've avoided many issues. But hey, at least I now know how to configure ProGuard properly. At least I hope so.

Thanks, now it's working. Can you explain to me how the grouping that you implemented works? When I suggested, I wanted to say that after clicking on the crash group of the app, a list of all the crashs with information like date and time appears, and that they expand in the full log when they are clicked. And about the deletion, I'm talking about a button to clear any individual log after a long click on it. At this time it is only possible to clear all logs at once

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Scoop: Catches a stack trace when an app crashes unexpectedly

This module - as the description says - saves the stack trace of a crashing app and displays all crashes in a list so you don't have to look through a long logcat anymore. Additionally you get a notification on every crash (configurable) which already displays the most important information.

This module is based off the module Cracker which sadly isn't being developed anymore so I made an updated version which catches crashes more reliably (supports custom crash handlers set by apps), features material design and contains more functionality such as:
    • Search in crashed apps
    • Search in stack trace
    • Crash preview in notification
    • Combination of same crashes / apps to avoid long repetetive lists
    • Crash blacklist
    • Quick actions to copy / share a stack trace

Download: http://repo.xposed.info/module/tk.wasdennnoch.scoop
    Source: https://github.com/wasdennnoch/Scoop

You can help translate this module on GitHub!

Changelog:

• Make app search case-insensitive
    • Use separate view to select text
    • Add button to toggle selection mode (to avoid a bug where you can't scroll anymore)
    • Make stack trace selectable
    • Portugese (BR) and German translation
    • Option to force English language
    • Add option to sort crashes by apps
    • Fix long app names and crash date overlapping
    • Add option to selectively delete crashes
    • Add blacklist to filter out crashes from specific apps
    • Add about screen
    • Fix nothing working at all. Sorry for the many versions, but I don't have a device to test the Xposed part anymore (I updated to Nougat) and also this is the first time I enabled ProGurad in an Xposed module.
    • Completely disable module not activated warning as something seems to be broken
    • Add compatibility with ancient Xposed versions (52)
    • Add search to overview
    • Add option to combine same crashes into one item
    • Fix constant module deactivated warning again
    • Fix constant module disabled warning
    • Fix crash when opening detail view
    • Add option to limit line width
    • Add search function to detail view
    • Added Copy/Share buttons to notification (configurable)
    • Added module not activated "warning"
    • Improved stack trace preview in notification
    • Directly open crash details from notification
    • Minor fixes and improvements (duh)
    • Fix devious face
    • Fix self-crash when catching custom throwable subclasses
    • Minor fixes
    • Initial release

XDA:DevDB Information
    Scoop, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    MrWasdennnoch
    Source Code: https://github.com/wasdennnoch/Scoop

Xposed Package Name: tk.wasdennnoch.scoop

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.6.4
    Stable Release Date: 2017-04-01

Created 2016-12-23
    Last Updated 2017-04-01
    App sorting available in 1.6.0.
    I get this error alot. Is it because i have many xposed and user apps and is burden on my ram?
    The ApplicationsState class keeps track of all installed apps and it appears that it doesn't get enough meory to prefetch the app icons. If you have many Xposed modules installed it definitely impacts resource availability. In combination with an older phone with less memory and many installed and running apps this can happen. You'll have to have a look at the memory statistics in the settings to know where the problem is.
    For more complete logs, I vote
    I already edited in an answer earlier but it might not have been noticeable enough so I'll post it again:

I probably won't change the "... x more" because it indicates that the hidden part of the stack trace is the same as the last part of the previously shown trace. From the docs:
    Note the presence of lines containing the characters "...". These lines indicate that the remainder of the stack trace for this exception matches the indicated number of frames from the bottom of the stack trace of the exception that was caused by this exception (the "enclosing" exception).

This shorthand can greatly reduce the length of the output in the common case where a wrapped exception is thrown from same method as the "causative exception" is caught.
    So basically it would only be tons of duplicate lines.
    Also see here for more info.
    Could you add line break and search in log? Thank you!

Done and available in v1.3.0 :)
    (Disabled by default)