[Oct 31]Steve's MeeGo on HD2 Updates .

Are you interested in testing and feedbacking for MeeGo on your HD2 ?

• Yes !

Votes: 374 90.6%
  • No !

Votes: 39 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Hi,

This thread is now for MeeGo's Status, It'll be updated as soon as anything new comes up. (If you have any updates please post them here along with the source link) and I'll update the OP.

Please thank Steve (Strougthonsmith) as well as DFT for the great time they're spending on porting this awesome OS to our HD2s.

Updates :

[Jan 2] Now a video is available from Steve
[Jan 9] Wifi is working properly ! [Not via UI yet]
[Jan 22] Speed improved dramatically with a Video !!
[Jan 23] Unfortunately, Cotulla (& DFT) have suspended Meego's Development (till April ? ) for some reasons.
[Feb 01]Will be released before April, maybe in the next few days ? :D
[Feb 07]Not really an update, just a few more details.
[Mar 05]More and more details :D.
[Apr 06]Unfortunately, won't be released as expected, click for more info ..
[May 18]No progress has been made since November.

[Oct 31]Steve clarifies some things, and let's just not lose faith ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes ! :
*It's not released yet and no ETA, but you can Donate to Steve through his personal page or Cotulla through his personal page.
*We are not signing people up, and the poll is closed as well, these are just updates.
*I did nothing ! ..all the Thanks should go to any of Steve's posts, not me (not this post !).
*Still alot to be fixed. Even if it is released, don't expect it to be a daily-use OS (for now) .
*Current Bugs' list Provided by Cotulla .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve's Blog !

Last edited:

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Spent the day messing with my phone instead of celebrating the new year's. After a lame attempt at getting MeeGo on it myself, hell yes I'm in for any testing.

ooooh yeahhhh!!!..i dont really fancy the meego os, but then again...i didnt fancy android either, and now its my primary os :p

Thank you and all who voted yes for your support.
When we reach 100 yes-voters I will contact him demanding the instructions :D
Keep voting !! 76 more votes to go :p

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
www.steventroughtonsmith.com
I plan on posting the image as soon as I get the touchscreen working correctly, and WiFi would be a bonus too. Still figuring it all out, but I can guarantee you'd be disappointed if I released right now

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I plan on posting the image as soon as I get the touchscreen working correctly, and WiFi would be a bonus too. Still figuring it all out, but I can guarantee you'd be disappointed if I released right now

Actually I do know that it's not fully working and most of the features are not working but I want to contribute in developing, I can be much of a help in feedbacking ? we all can !

So I won't be disappointed because I already know how will it look like :)

So now since this thread prooved so many people want MeeGo I ask you kindly to release it and you can update it regulary and I really appreciate it, we all do :D

Last edited:
Reactions: azzzz

Lizzo

Actually I do know that it's not fully working and most of the features are not working but I want to contribute in developing, I can be much of a help in feedbacking ? we all can !

So now since this thread prooved so many people want MeeGo I ask you kindly to release it and you can update it regulary and I really appreciate it, we all do :D

+1 i also wanna contribute in the developing :D

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin

What's the best way to host a 600MB file for you guys?

Reactions: Marvlesz

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
I'm just curious, what are the advantages of meego over ios, winmo, or even android?
MeeGo is a full Linux distribution, using X11, so it's very portable. Both Nokia and Intel will be putting a lot of effort into MeeGo to make it perfect for phones and tablets, and it's super slick and multi-touch enabled, etc.

crisiscore_08

Jun 23, 2010
I agree with the rest steve this is how it would most likely play out if you release it now
if you release it now you open many doors to lots of other devs ready to tweak it and improve it just look how far android has come in less than 6 months i mean we have fully functional builds and by different devs each improving in other words if ya notice when mdeejay would release a fix for something no one else could find darkstone would implement it on his next build or vice versa. so by releasing this beta stage of meego you open many opportunities and most likely speed up the process. PLEASE STEVE RELEASE AN ALPHA BUILD WE ALL KNOW WHAT WERE GOING TO EXPECT remember android builds that were extremely unstable? im sure i speak for alot of people
(or atleaste update us with videos on how its going if you dont want to release an alpha build) YOUR STILL THE BEST ive been wanting meego over android for a long time now

stroughtonsmith

Dec 31, 2010
Dublin
I agree with the rest steve this is how it would most likely play out if you release it now
if you release it now you open many doors to lots of other devs ready to tweak it and improve it just look how far android has come in less than 6 months i mean we have fully functional builds and by different devs each improving in other words if ya notice when mdeejay would release a fix for something no one else could find darkstone would implement it on his next build or vice versa. so by releasing this beta stage of meego you open many opportunities and most likely speed up the process. PLEASE STEVE RELEASE AN ALPHA BUILD WE ALL KNOW WHAT WERE GOING TO EXPECT remember android builds that were extremely unstable? im sure i speak for alot of people
(or atleaste update us with videos on how its going if you dont want to release an alpha build) YOUR STILL THE BEST ive been wanting meego over android for a long time now
I'm getting help with the touchscreen stuff, so won't be releasing anything until I know it's working perfectly. Might take a couple days, be patient! :)

sullitf

Dec 2, 2008
I'd love to see meego on my HD2! I was actually really torn between the Hd2 and n900 when I was looking for a new phone. Loved the looks of maemo and possibilities of meego but couldn't get past the n900's hardware

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

This thread is now for MeeGo's Status, It'll be updated as soon as anything new comes up. (If you have any updates please post them here along with the source link) and I'll update the OP.

Please thank Steve (Strougthonsmith) as well as DFT for the great time they're spending on porting this awesome OS to our HD2s.

Updates :

[Jan 2] Now a video is available from Steve
    [Jan 9] Wifi is working properly ! [Not via UI yet]
    [Jan 22] Speed improved dramatically with a Video !!
    [Jan 23] Unfortunately, Cotulla (& DFT) have suspended Meego's Development (till April ? ) for some reasons.
    [Feb 01]Will be released before April, maybe in the next few days ? :D
    [Feb 07]Not really an update, just a few more details.
    [Mar 05]More and more details :D.
    [Apr 06]Unfortunately, won't be released as expected, click for more info ..
    [May 18]No progress has been made since November.

[Oct 31]Steve clarifies some things, and let's just not lose faith ;)

Notes ! :
    *It's not released yet and no ETA, but you can Donate to Steve through his personal page or Cotulla through his personal page.
    *We are not signing people up, and the poll is closed as well, these are just updates.
    *I did nothing ! ..all the Thanks should go to any of Steve's posts, not me (not this post !).
    *Still alot to be fixed. Even if it is released, don't expect it to be a daily-use OS (for now) .
    *Current Bugs' list Provided by Cotulla .

Steve's Blog !
    when do we get something to test? what happened to "will be released before april"?
    i just want this so much
    Sorry about the delay; the real answer is I've been waiting for a build that doesn't suck on the HD2. There is absolutely no point to releasing something which is merely able to boot, show a desktop, allow you to click an icon or two, and that's it. Nobody's going to be happy with a build like that, and honestly I'm not happy releasing it either.

The current builds on the HD2 have:

• Garbled text
    • Only two or so apps running (Settings and Photos)
    • Have no virtual keyboard
    • Have no networking or bluetooth
    • Have a very buggy window manager (makes it impossible to multitask, causes all sorts of visual errors)

Etc. You get the picture. I'm keeping a close eye on the dailies, running off a build every couple days to see if there's improvement. As soon as there's something worth releasing, it will be released.
    Just a quick reply to say, no I haven't forgotten you guys, or this thread. Let me bring you up to speed…

In February, when Nokia announced they were moving to WP7, open source MeeGo was effectively dead. It was never going to be finished - Intel sat on it for a few months until they officially announced the end of their participation. What this means is the MeeGo I started ported to the HD2 almost a year ago is no longer a viable target.

However, Nokia did announce MeeGo Harmattan earlier this year - the likes of which you see on the N9 and N950. Unfortunately, this OS has very little to do with open source MeeGo - in fact it's pretty much Maemo 6 and just used the MeeGo name (it's Debian based, unlike the open source version which was Red Hat based). Harmattan is absolutely awesome, and I would love to see it working on the HD2. I've had access to the N950 for a couple months now but Nokia's license specifically denies me from attempting to reverse engineer anything, so it could never be used to help this project. Now that the N9 is publicly released, that can be attempted, although it's likely distribution of that in full would be disallowed too. That's something to worry about at a later date.

Unfortunately for us, Harmattan isn't an open source OS. It has quite a few security checks to stop it working on other devices, which would almost certainly require patching to remove. Thankfully, Harmattan is actually a fully featured OS that people could use, if it were ported. Since nobody else is working on this, though, I wouldn't hold your breath right now. It might be something I can look into over Christmas :(
    to bad... wp7 sucks and i was waiting to have a decent meego at the end of this month...

lets hope they will release before april.
    I'll have a build out in the next few days; I have to choose between a 1.2 build with illegible text, or a 1.1 build with no multitasking (or a 1.2 build with no acceleration, i.e. sloooow), and from there get enough working in the OS to make it at least interesting to play with.

I'm still working on the details, but you definitely won't be waiting until April :p