[TUT][DIY] Cheap External Antenna For HTC Sensation

Search This thread

m.m.m

Oct 22, 2011
Tehran
Hi folks, several days ago I bought an 18cm high GSM antenna (really cheap, about $5 if I convert it to USD), and also bought a cheaper (if I convert it to USD it will be $0.66) SMA connector for it, and realized that the antenna connectors of the Sensation are on it's back cover, so I could simply connect the antenna to the phone.

well, first of all you'd better to watch W2AEW's awesome video about Decibels to actually understand what you're doin'.

here's the antenna I've bought (the seller told me it's 18cm high but it's 19.5cm :silly:):

IMAG0004.jpg

and this is the SMA connector, before you buy the connector, you have to find out if your antenna's connector is male or female. in my case it was male so I bought a female connector for it:
IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

then you have to solder some wires to your antenna, one for the ground and another for the signal. coaxial cable is the best solution because of lower noise but it's so thick, here is some antenna wires I just found with a quick search on Ebay, and they're not that thick. also keep wires as short as possible, in my case I just wanted to test the antenna so didn't care about the wires:
IMAG0012.jpg

the two connectors above the camera on the back of the phone are for WiFi, and the two below the SD Card are for GSM. so I connected the wires of antenna to the bottom ones, and, here's the result:
with the original antenna (which is the cover door of the phone):
Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-38-41.png

without any antennas (without cover door):
Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-39-48.png

with the external antenna:
Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-44-09.png

I'm planning to drill a hole on a cheap cover door and mount the antenna on the cover, and also add some more antennas like GPS and WiFi. (then probably it won't fit in any pocket :silly: :laugh: )

if you tried it too, please hit the thanks button. :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aronuser and omegfa

m.m.m

Oct 22, 2011
Tehran
another thing I wonder is that if we can add an external antenna without loosing the 3G capability.

edit: I'm working on adding the antenna beside internal antenna so it will have both EDGE and HSDPA.

Last edited:

m.m.m

Oct 22, 2011
Tehran
It works and increases the db, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem, I wanted to keep in touch in a place which is far away from the operator antennas, but it doesn't help me because of the huge distance, maybe I should switch to another operator. so I discontinue this project but it doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Last edited:

@@RON

Nov 29, 2010
Berlin
www.sysprofile.de
It works and increases the Db, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem, I wanted to keep in touch in a place which is far away from the operator antennas, but it doesn't help me because of the huge distance, maybe I should switch to another operator. so I discontinue this project but it doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Sad to hear, that it doesn't really satisfy your situation and you discontinued the project. Can you please share a picture of the back cover anyway?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks, several days ago I bought an 18cm high GSM antenna (really cheap, about $5 if I convert it to USD), and also bought a cheaper (if I convert it to USD it will be $0.66) SMA connector for it, and realized that the antenna connectors of the Sensation are on it's back cover, so I could simply connect the antenna to the phone.

well, first of all you'd better to watch W2AEW's awesome video about Decibels to actually understand what you're doin'.

here's the antenna I've bought (the seller told me it's 18cm high but it's 19.5cm :silly:):

IMAG0004.jpg

and this is the SMA connector, before you buy the connector, you have to find out if your antenna's connector is male or female. in my case it was male so I bought a female connector for it:
    IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

then you have to solder some wires to your antenna, one for the ground and another for the signal. coaxial cable is the best solution because of lower noise but it's so thick, here is some antenna wires I just found with a quick search on Ebay, and they're not that thick. also keep wires as short as possible, in my case I just wanted to test the antenna so didn't care about the wires:
    IMAG0012.jpg

the two connectors above the camera on the back of the phone are for WiFi, and the two below the SD Card are for GSM. so I connected the wires of antenna to the bottom ones, and, here's the result:
    with the original antenna (which is the cover door of the phone):
    Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-38-41.png

without any antennas (without cover door):
    Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-39-48.png

with the external antenna:
    Screenshot_2014-08-26-16-44-09.png

I'm planning to drill a hole on a cheap cover door and mount the antenna on the cover, and also add some more antennas like GPS and WiFi. (then probably it won't fit in any pocket :silly: :laugh: )

if you tried it too, please hit the thanks button. :good: