Dell Axim X50v WM5 A03 AKU 3.5.2 English ROM

Search This thread

MagLite_RUS

Jun 21, 2007
Moscow
Sorry for my bad English :D

Great thanks to misar, Football, mun_rus and another my friends who helped me! And thanks to mamaich and bepe for their beautiful ROM editing TOOLS!

Dell Axim X50v A03 WM5 AKU 3.5.2 English ROM

Screenshots:

img-41454-Screen001.png
img-41455-Screen002.png
img-41456-Screen003.png

Language:
English
Version of ROM:
A03 (21.06.07)
Version of Windows Mobile:
OS 5.1.478 (Build 15706.3.5.2)
Page Pool:
12MB
Themes, icons, sounds:
Style "Windows Mobile 6 (Crossbow)"

Deleted from ROM:
1) Transcriber (Download Transcriber CAB)
2) MSN Messenger

Added to ROM:
1) .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2

Bugs:
1) Battery indicator incorrectly shows a condition of the battery. It is replaced with clock.

Please, if you found bug, write bug report in this topic! It will help to improve this ROM in the future.

Attention! If you have Windows Mobile 2003SE ROM on your device, FIRST, please download THIS ARCHIVE (RAR 32.4 MB), and update your PDA to A01 Windows Mobile 5 ROM.

Flashing:

Download Dell Axim X50v A03 WM5 AKU 3.5.2 English ROM (RAR 27.6 MB)

1) Unpack files from archive into root of FAT32 SD-Card.
2) Insert the SD-Card into your Axim and start the SD Image Loader by Pressing Wireless + Power + Reset
3) The Image Loader will search for flash images on your SD-Card.
4) Press the action key twice, this starts the update process.
5) After the process is finished you will be asked to hard reset your device. Follow this instruction and wait for the OS to load.

Thats all!

Original thread of this ROM (in Russian)

Last edited:

Xdenwarrior

Mar 23, 2007
Congratulations!!!

But before I say "Wow", i would really prefer to know some things about this ROM.
1) I should of asked this footall earlier, but how come all of you guys (football, hachera, maglite) get rid of a vary valuable program transcriber on a PDA, and MSN (i don`t care too much about it since i will install WLM 10.6 instead). What`s with that?
2) So is it true that some of the bugs that football is still experiencing with his A17 Rom, like the CF card still doesn't work, are fixed, which makes it i guess this Rom somewhat more stable than Football's?
3) Most importantly, how this A03 ROM compete with Dell's A02 ROM regarding stability, speed, bugs, and of course that evil compaction thread?
4) Maglite, is your ROM as fast as Football`s?
5) How much free RAM memory left, and ROM at the start? (You forgot to mention that) Cause with Dell's i only had 26 MB of Ram, and with Ramdisk (4MB) obviously only 22MB.
6) Any software incompatibility issues? Would Dell GPS Navigation system still run on my Dell Axim x50v?
7) I`m not looking for an exact day, but how often do you think you will release a new updated Rom that will fix the bugs. ( i don't think it is a good thing for me to flash my Dell Axim every a couple of days just to be up to date). Would you be releasing patchs as well in order to fix bugs?

Once again thank you for all your efforts, Maglite, and i will probably update my device to your new Rom this weekends.

MagLite_RUS

Jun 21, 2007
Moscow
Xdenwarrior,
1) I do that because in Russia we didn't use this programs and i think if you want to use it, you can install it.
2) In this ROM, CF-Card works perfectly, and all another things in my and in Football's are same, because my ROM basis on A18 (test ROM).
3) In this ROM I used all OEM programs from A02 but SYS part of ROM too different from A02, and if I resolve all bugs from A02.
4) I don't really know, my ROM based on Football's rom and I think his ROM will little faster because x51v optimized for wm5.
5) With Page Pool Size = 12 MB I have ~27-28 MB free RAM after Soft Reset (on clean Device). If you need more free RAM space you should change size of Page Pool into 8 MB and have ~31-32 MB free RAM.
6) I tested many programs and i don't find program incompatibility issues. Flash ROM and test it! :)
7) If I can resolve bug by patch I realise patch.

jowilk

Jan 15, 2007
Union City, CA
what are the benefits?

hi maglite, great work with the rom. i would like to know what the pros and cons are, if i wanted to update? thanks

Xdenwarrior

Mar 23, 2007
Any Compaction Thread Issues?

Thanks for the response, maglite. Just didn't get one thing - Is the compaction thread (caused by filesys.exe) is still a problem in your ROM? Does it still slowdown Dell Axim? (this question was posted right in the beginning of the post by "wuzy")
Also when Football confirmed that you guys going to keep all of the ROMs clean from any 3rd party software, would you still plan to replace the old WM5 office with Office 2007 Mobile, and Terminal Services Client with Remote Desktop Mobile just to keep up to date?
So what are your plans, maglite, for the future releases?

rumble291

Feb 20, 2007
Hey Maglite, i was wondering if you could create a ROM for a Mid X51? if not could u please PM me the link to the Axim Rom Kitchen?

Thanks,

Kurt

ziele

Nov 23, 2006
Hi
Very good job! Rom is a little slower than wm2003se but works fine. I found one bug. Sometimes when cpu is in auto mode clock don't slow down and then always run on 624Mhz. Can you fix it?

Thanks,
ziele

ps. sorry for my English ;P

Xdenwarrior

Mar 23, 2007
Would it work for Axim X30?,
No, different drivers. This Rom is only for x50v and only.

Sometimes when cpu is in auto mode clock don't slow down and then always run on 624Mhz. Can you fix it?
I personally don't think much of this as a bug, since i had the same problem with Dell's WM5 A02. My CPU only is stuck at 624mhz when on AC power, which i think it supposed to since the point of running CPU in Auto mode is mostly just to conserve the battery power.

But i definately agree with you, ziele, that WM5 is definately slower than wm2003se, but again it will somewhat always be due to ROM vs RAM. I'm more concerned about the compaction thread issue. Does anyone here know what "wuzy"(1st post, 1st page) was trying to say by this:"I assume if the sector size has been tweaked to 512byte instead of the default 4Kbyte, that should solve that issue."???

jowilk

Jan 15, 2007
Union City, CA
installed rom

hi, i installed maglites rom and the reponse time is faster than before. filesys still comes on but not as much as before. i tries patch_filesys but it does not work w/ the rom. using sktools, the rom sector size is 4096 and cluster size is 8192. maglites rom is better. needs more work w/ storage rom and filesys compaction. one question, how would you change the page file for more memory?

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
page pool?

Hey guys. Long time aximsite viewer but new to xda devs. Anyway I have been following the work you guys have been doing and praying for the day the X50V will have an AUK3.5 rom.

Well Its finally here so I am going to try it out in about 5 min after posting this.

On to one question I had, how do you adjust the Page Pool size as mentioned? Is it something that can be done in registry or is it a rom setting that needs to be done before flashing?

I could use a few extra megs of memory for some of my programs as long as it doesnt hamper the OS itself.

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Hmm.

I do happen to have found a bug.

In the WLAN Utility. When I was trying to connect to a network. Everything works as normal the first time through except one thing. If you click on the Settings button and then click Configure Network Adaptors. You cannot go back to connect to another server or anything. Now every time you click on settings it goes dirrectly to the configure network adapters screen.

You probably can get past this with the Oddesy Client but It is a little annoying.

If this bug could be fixed that would be great.

Just letting you all know. (Also if anyone is not having this issue then I guess I can hard reset again and see if it comes back.)

Last edited:

fredfox_uk

Jul 3, 2007
Sorry for the newbie ......

Hi, I'm sure that this is a very simple question, but, if I decide to o back to WM2003 on my 50v, how can I do that ?

I guess I need a ROM that will install using the SD bootloader, right ? Where can I get this image from, or am I being really silly ?

Thanks
Fred