MIUI One Stop Shop, Q&A, Etc....

Search This thread

valdesr11

Apr 21, 2010
Miami, Florida
Definitions from urbandictionary.com:

Troll:

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

or

A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

So someone that asks for an ETA is automatically a troll because you guys find it provocative? Tecnically, the trolls are the ones that turn a simple questions into something its not by giving a provocative answer?

NineInchNails

R.I.P. - We'll see you around, bud...
Jan 22, 2011
Minnesota
So someone that asks for an ETA is automatically a troll because you guys find it provocative? Tecnically, the trolls are the ones that turn a simple questions into something its not by giving a provocative answer?

Imagine 30 different PMs asking you when your update will be done... its annoying... then on top of those the thread you created has multiple users asking also that haven't pmd you yet but they sure are thinking about doing it because they're too impatient and what everything fixed NAO! Doesn't work that way. Patience is a virtue.

Here's another point. Would you rather me as a developer push out an untested update that could mess everything up? Or would you rather have a quality tested build and or app that's been checked through?

Asking for ETAs on XDA has always been frowned upon. Always will be.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

valdesr11

Apr 21, 2010
Miami, Florida
You know what works more than flaming them when they ask, ignoring them. Let them ask all they want, just ignore it and you see how it stops.

People are like little kids. When they are being annoying as hell, and you ignore them, they will stop being annoying. If you give them attention by telling them to stop and not to do it, they will continue to do it.

It's all Psychology dude. Try it.

NineInchNails

R.I.P. - We'll see you around, bud...
Jan 22, 2011
Minnesota
You know what works more than flaming them when they ask, ignoring them. Let them ask all they want, just ignore it and you see how it stops.

People are like little kids. When they are being annoying as hell, and you ignore them, they will stop being annoying. If you give them attention by telling them to stop and not to do it, they will continue to do it.

Ahh but see my sadistic side takes over and wants to... that MattCrystal doesn't ignore much.

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN

The point is that adults shouldn't act like children. Especially on a tech forum, if you're not tech savvy enough to do it yourself or at least learn how, shut the **** up, period.

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City

Agreed but some people don't understand that psychology unless you tell them straight out to knock it off. Even though, sometimes even that doesn't work.
Asking for ETAs from developers is as rude as getting ripped a new one for asking.

I'm with you with the ignoring method though.

Last edited:

pstevep

Retired Senior Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance

What works the best is teaching someone the way things should be done. Just like with children. You don't ignore an undesirable behavior with a child, you try to correct it, by explaining why they shouldn't do that behavior.

I don't flame people for asking for ETA's, i explain that they shouldn't.

Reactions: NineInchNails

vanessaem

Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
What works the best is teaching someone the way things should be done. Just like with children. You don't ignore an undesirable behavior with a child, you try to correct it, by explaining why they shouldn't do that behavior.

Sometimes you gently explain why it's wrong to ask for ETAs and then they're like, "But I demand one NAO!!!" or the developer gives them one(which they shouldn't do) and if it's not done by that time, all hell breaks loose.

A bunch of trolls with pitchforks and torches, march angrily to the door of the developer and demand....

Wait a minute, I think I'm confusing this with the movie, Frankenstein. :cool:

Same idea though. :p

Reactions: NineInchNails

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Sometimes you gently explain why it's wrong to ask for ETAs and then they're like, "But I demand one NAO!!!" or the developer gives them one(which they shouldn't do) and if it's not done by that time, all hell breaks loose.

A bunch of trolls with pitchforks and torches, march angrily to the door of the developer and demand....

Wait a minute, I think I'm confusing this with the movie, Frankenstein. :cool:

Same idea though. :p

Lol should be a ETF fee for folks asking ETA :rolleyes: :D

Reactions: pstevep

valdesr11

Apr 21, 2010
Miami, Florida
The point is that adults shouldn't act like children. Especially on a tech forum, if you're not tech savvy enough to do it yourself or at least learn how, shut the **** up, period.

Agreed but some people don't understand that psychology unless you tell them straight out to knock it off. Even though, sometimes even that doesn't work.
Asking for ETAs from developers is as rude as getting ripped a new one for asking.

I'm with you with the ignoring method though.

It was a metaphor. I agree with you because what you get here is free and you have no reason to ask for something and expect it at a certain time. But, people have the right to be curious to know when they can expect an update for many reasons. People have busy schedules and need to know when they should check back in for the update.

When people don't see an update in months like they saw happened with MIUI, they get worried and want to know whats going on with their favorite rom and why its not getting the very important fixes. They want to know if it ever is going to get an update and if not, they know they need to find a new rom to flash.

I also understand there are ignorant bastards that are annoying as hell and think that by asking for an ETA, its going to force the developer to work quicker. Which is the complete opposite, it makes them work slower because it pisses them off. That is why I say ignore them! Who loses in this case? The developer is going through all the hard work of putting it together and the developer gets angry because people are asking for ETAs while the flasher doesn't care to get flamed and still gets the rom for free and without worries.

Its the Mods job to explain to them that its not right, not yours.
When you approach a situation, you need to look at it from both angles and understand why the developer gets mad, and why people continue to ask for ETAs and then you will understand why there is no need to flame these "trolls". Just tell them nicely that its being worked on and that you promise it will be released as soon as its ready to be released.

vanessaem

Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City
It was a metaphor. I agree with you because what you get here is free and you have no reason to ask for something and expect it at a certain time. But, people have the right to be curious to know when they can expect an update for many reasons. People have busy schedules and need to know when they should check back in for the update.

When people don't see an update in months like they saw happened with MIUI, they get worried and want to know whats going on with their favorite rom and why its not getting the very important fixes. They want to know if it ever is going to get an update and if not, they know they need to find a new rom to flash.

I also understand there are ignorant bastards that are annoying as hell and think that by asking for an ETA, its going to force the developer to work quicker. Which is the complete opposite, it makes them work slower because it pisses them off. That is why I say ignore them! Who loses in this case? The developer is going through all the hard work of putting it together and the developer gets angry because people are asking for ETAs while the flasher doesn't care to get flamed and still gets the rom for free and without worries.

Its the Mods job to explain to them that its not right, not yours.
When you approach a situation, you need to look at it from both angles and understand why the developer gets mad, and why people continue to ask for ETAs and then you will understand why there is no need to flame these "trolls". Just tell them nicely that its being worked on and that you promise it will be released as soon as its ready to be released.

"People have busy schedules and need to know when they should check back in for the update." People are not owed a time for when the next update will be and the developer is not on their clock.

Developers are people with busy schedules as well. That's precisely why it's rude and unnerving to keep asking them for ETAs. No people don't have the right to keep haranguing the developer for times and dates on when stuff will get done.
Don't forget, developers are doing this in their spare time and for fun. It starts not being fun when it starts feeling like a job and people become demanding. That's why quite a few developers stopped doing this type of thing and have gone elsewhere.

Mods are people with busy schedules as well. Mods are responsible for quite a few forums and many threads. They're not monitoring threads for people constantly asking for ETAs. There are much bigger offenses to worry about. The continuous ETA requests can be handled by the OP and/or the folks on the thread(respectfully).
However, if someone gets really insulting and nasty to you for asking for an ETA, you have every right to use your reporting powers and get a mod involved.

You have to read those definitions I posted about what a troll is. Being annoying doesn't necessarily make one a troll, it just makes them annoying...lol.

Last edited:

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
"People have busy schedules and need to know when they should check back in for the update." People are not owed a time for when the next update will be and the developer is not on their clock.

Developers are people with busy schedules as well. That's precisely why it's rude and unnerving to keep asking them for ETAs. No people don't have the right to keep haranguing the developer for times and dates on when stuff will get done.
Don't forget, developers are doing this in their spare time and for fun. It starts not being fun when it starts feeling like a job and people become demanding. That's why quite a few developers stopped doing this type of thing and have gone elsewhere.

Mods are people with busy schedules as well. Mods are responsible for quite a few forums and many threads. They're not monitoring threads for people constantly asking for ETAs. There are much bigger offenses to worry about. The continuous ETA requests can be handled by the OP and/or the folks on the thread(respectfully).
However, if someone gets really insulting and nasty to you for asking for an ETA, you have every right to use your reporting powers and get a mod involved.

You have to read those definitions I posted about what a troll is. Being annoying doesn't necessarily make one a troll, it just makes them annoying...lol.

They can tear your thread down with crappy raitings if they stalk ya lol.. But that report button comes in handy :D I know pstevep handled some of my reports :D Along with Jay :D I never bother to try and correct folks that are trollin I just report :D Saves time. Also I do what I can to help out new folks that may get hammered by other users :D I know you guys roll the same way with help.

Thanks ^^)

Last edited:
Reactions: jayharper08

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "One Stop Shop' thread for Scott951's, jdeloach's with the help of il duce MIUI Port for the Evo 3D. Located here on XDA at MIUI Thread.
    Would like to give a shoutout to R0cky0790 for an outline of how to do this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For right now I'm just going to leave redirects to themes and download links. With screenshots ofcourse. :p

First things first, if you haven't been to http://miui.us/, this is a perfect place to get info about what MIUI is all about.

You can find what other users are currently using and get a lot of ideas from this thread in the Android themes section:

What does your MIUI look like?

Quick Tips:

If you download a lock screen theme that is not the right display size and you can not get it unlocked, hold down the back button + volume up and voila! you're in.

Want to convert that lockscreen to qhd? Here's how to: Conversion Script Thread Read through good, chances are it's already been done. BIG THANKS to shooger for the script!!

You can customize your theme any way you like by menu>settings>themes>customize. You will be able to mix and match however you like!

Screenshots can be taken by using the menu + Volume down button.

If you want the center clock, carrier options displays, etc., that is what the extended settings are for. Which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20062436&postcount=752

If you're like me and can't stand not having an app drawer, there is a perfect alternative by xuso, called AltDrawer that works great. It can be located here:AltDrawer Thread (Thank you to Vanessaem for pointing that out.
    ;))

If you are having trouble uploading a screenshot from the XDA app, try using a different gallery to upload. I suggested an app down below in the "recommended apps" section.

Google Voice issues? LiquidSolstice has a definitive guide to help you with here : Liquids google Voice Guide

Mods, Tweaks, Etc:

Everything Zip v32: il Duce has put together a zip to flash with everything in it :) Which includes:
    - newest ES (MIUIsettings.apk in /data, launcher2.apk, SystemUI.apk-from 12.16) - Andy Thomson
    *note* overscroll actually works fine IF your framework-res.apk OR theme.mtz includes it already
    - MiuiCamera.apk from kaos420 - no FCs
    - newest market 3.4.4 plus speed hack - duce
    - google defaulted to search button - liquidsolstice
    - OLD sprint VVM app (no idea if this will fix anything) - duce
    - volume+ from 12.16 (long press vol for track skip screen off) - Andy Thomson
    - remove debug icon - jdeloach
    - remove "no service" when in airplane mode - jdeloach
    - kickass d3rp screen transitions - duce
    - added back in old DSP manager (no FC) - kaos420
    - added back in gallery 1.0 (no FC) - miui

Here is the download: il Duce's post, which also has t3projects tweaks in the same post. :)

Want just the derps' animations? Duce has that also. Download directly here: http://db.tt/Ty57dG4y

How bout the ICS animations? Here is Bamba1260's ICS animations for MIUI here: Bamba's thread

Lose your 4-1 reboot after flashing something? Here is the fix for that posted by Scott: http://www.miuimods.com/evo3D/4WayREBOOT.zip

With Jdeloach's extended settings and tweaks this thing is epic. Don't forget to download and thank him here Jdeloach's Extended Settings for all his work.

Sprint VVM can be used on this rom by flashing Jdeloach's zip found here:Sprint VVM Zip.

Here is another fix by il Duce:D. It's the mms.apk for messaging that you will need for right now to split the messages over 160 char. Find it in this post here:il Duce's mms fix

Would you like Google to be your search provider instead? Follow LiquidSolstice's guide here :D:Liquid's Google Search Guide

Tutorials:

Here is LiquidSolstice's thread on how to make an .mtz file for custom fonts. Great write up done by him. :D http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19121927

Here is a thread by h_zee13 with different types of lockscreens for MIUI. Please DO NOT post in this thread. It is for downloads only! Located here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1288096
    Not all of these are QHD format. If you get one that isn't and you think you are locked out, look below under the quick tips. ;)

Hockeyfamily737 has an awesome guide to theming MIUI here: Hockey's Theming Guide Be sure to thank him for his hard work!

Want custom carrier images? Carlospr21 has custom icons and a tutorial on how to get it done here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218876

Fonts:

Some font .mtz files can be found here: http://forums.miui.us/showthread.php?125-FONTS-Theme-Manager-Fonts&
    Just download the .mtz file, place in the folder MIUI>themes on your SD card. (As with any .mtz file.)Great job by EndlessDissent with these.

Also here: http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?3150-FONTS-Theme-Manager-Fonts-UPDATE-4-2

Themes:

First and foremost, check out Team D3rp's themes located in this thread that are specifically designed for our QHD screen resolution. This team has done AMAZING work with these themes and have taken a lot of time out of their lives for us. Give them a shot and let them know you appreciate the work here: Team D3rps themes!!

Suave Redone by Collins521:

Screenshots.jpg

Find it here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1330577
    Be sure to download the .mtz lockscreen file here:M4tt.03's QHD fix and thank him for his work. :)

User shrapnel2 has put together a great theme:

FULL.jpg

Find it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1377054
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illest theme V2 by Kgill7:

illest_theme_for_miui_v2_by_kgill77-d4en4fs.png

Find it here at:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245662 Note: Lockscreen is not QHD compatible at the moment, but will be soon!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neon themes by Jumba, available in Green, Red, and Blue:

24wyf5w.jpg

You can find it here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1135212

Placid Theme by dfskevinohyeah:

placidhd.png

Can be found here at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1226353

Icons:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Raadius has an awesome icon pack called Athena HD:
    athena_hd_by_raadius-d4cmjft.png

Which is located here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1217261

Illest Icon set by kgill7:
    illest_icon_set_v1_2_by_kgill77-d4en59x.png

Located here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245662

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Apps:​

mClock: This widget is great. Lots of customization for clocks :)
    Find everything here: mClock thread

XL version of the MIUI clock can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1337839, by user: Coder_ak

For gallery, I like to use QuickPic, loads up fast and smooth. :)
    Miui 1.12.16 Mods

Remove (No Service) Text & "Sprint" Text(this will remove (No Service) text and "Sprint" text from status bar, for those that don't use Extended Settings)

Remove Debugging Icon Shooter(this will remove the Debugging icon from status bar while plugged into pc)

Dim Autobrightness (this will make the default autobrightness lower than stock)

Stock Autobrightness (puts things back like they were)

Apps

Sprint VVM (Voicemail) (this should work with the newest build. Just flash after wiping cache & dalvik)
    Android Keyboard w/ Red Pop-Ups (Just flash after wiping cache & dalvik)

Android Keyboard w/ Green Pop-Ups (Just flash after wiping cache & dalvik)

Android Keyboard w/ Orange Pop-Ups (Just flash after wiping cache & dalvik)

***These Keyboards will work for Sense also. Just need to pull the apk out of the zip and push to Sense rom.
    Ok great Job!! Will put some good stuff here!!
    dkdude, hockey, Epic, jd, V, duce, Scott, jharper, and many others, I thank you for your support and prayers. Thank you.

Ok guys. I've been chatting with Scott, and he will release sometime tonight. Jay he wants you to open the thread back up and pm him . Please mod the hell out of the thread once its reopened. ;)