windows 7 root NC

Search This thread

whgarner

Dec 25, 2009
this from rad131304 not me, thank you

Windows 7 Sideload Instructions
Hope this helps some people - I tried to be very step-by-step about it.

Again, thank you Pokey9000, the guys and gals from the IRC channel, and everybody else for all of your hard work! 99.9% of this is an aggregation of what is already in this thread; some of it comes from nookdevs also.

You will need the following applications on your Windows 7 computer:

- cygwin (www dot cygwin dot com)
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) - this comes with the android SDK
- Android USB Drivers - this comes with the android SDK

-- (WOQ) stands for without quotes, it means that I am giving you something between quotes to copy and paste.
-- if you see <some_odd_name> inside quotes, it means you MUST replace this with something from your specific OS instance (e.g. a drive letter, or something)

1. make sure your NC is disconnected from you computer
2. make sure your SD card is mounted on your computer (readable/browsable in explorer)
3. Install cygwin - you only need the base install AFAICT (YMMV), don't worry about the options for now.
4. download nooter at http //www dot mediafire dot com/?hugt8uxcfffpdvg
5. extract the contents to a folder in your cygwin install (standard install path is c:\cygwin)
6. Go to: Start, type in (WOQ) "compmgmt.msc" - this may require UAC elevation
7. Select "Disk Management" under storage
8. note the drive letter of the SD card and the disk number
9. Go To: Start > All Programs > Cygwin > Cygwin Bash Shell
10. At the prompt, type (WOQ): "mount //./<f>: /dev/sd<c>"
Where <f> is your drive letter, and
<c> is the letter you would get if you zero-indexed the disk number into the alphabet (i.e. 0 = a, 1 = b) **
11. press enter - there should be no output
12. at the prompt, type (WOQ): "dd if=<path_to_nooter_from_cygwin_install_folder>/nooter_sdcard_40MB.img of=/dev/sd<c>"
It will sit at this for a few minutes seeming to do nothing, be patient; you should get a response eventually that looks like:
80326+0 records in
80326+0 records out
41126912 bytes (41 MB) copied, 174.525 s, 236 kB/s
13. remove the sd card from the computer and plug it into the NC
14. power down the NC (hold power button for 15 seconds)
15. connect the NC to the computer
16. Wait for a "Composite Device" to be recognized by Windows and fail to install drivers
17. Wait for 15 seconds after the recognition
18. power down the NC
19. remove SD card ***
20. Find your android_winusb.inf file - this is located in your android-sdk install directory in the usb_driver folder. (NOTE: if you installed this in the program files folder, you will need to UAC elevate your editor to edit this file)
21. Paste the following lines into the file below both occurrences of the line ";Moto Sholes" after the ADBInterface definitions:
;B & N Nook Color
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01
22. save the file and close
23. find your adb_usb.ini file - it is usually located in c:\users\<username>\.android\
24. add (WOQ) "0x2080" on its own line
25. power on NC - at this point, the NC should boot normally, but ADB won't be able to recognize it
26. Go To: Start > Devices and Printers
27. Right-click on Nook and select properties
28. Select the hardware tab
29. If you have something that says "Nook" and has a yellow yield sign with a "!", then continue, if not skip to 38
30. Click on "Nook"
31. Select Properties
32. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
33. Click update driver
34. Select "browse for driver software on your computer"
35. Browse to the android-sdk/usb_driver folder
36. click next
37. You should be done; skip to 47 (I have no idea if this is correct - i pieced it together from somewhere in this as I did not get Nook to appear in the Device Functions List)
38. If you don't have a "Nook" Device Function, click on "USB Mass Storage Device"
39. Select Properties
40. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
41. Select the Driver Tab
42. Click Uninstall
43. Click OK
44. Disconnect NC
45. Reconnect NC
46. You should be done (this is different from my previous instructions on how to uninstall the NC USB drivers, I have not tested it so YMMV)
47. Go To: start > run > cmd
48. type (WOQ): "cd <path_to_android_sdk>\tools"
49. type (WOQ): "adb.exe kill-server"
You should get something like:
* server not running *
50. type (WOQ): "adb.exe remount"
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
remount failed: No such file or directory
51. You are done configuring to sideload

From here you should be able to sideload from ADB.
by rad131304

Last edited:

Kelvala

Nov 9, 2009
Just to throw it out there...

Does this cause a PERMANENT change to the Color Nook?

Edit: thank you for posting this

Last edited:

txskeets

Dec 18, 2009
I believe it was mentioned in a previous post that if you did a factory reset (power off completely, then hold power, nook button and vol up) that it would reset the Nook back to non rooted factory defaults. Can anyone else confirm this?

Just to throw it out there...

Does this cause a PERMANENT change to the Color Nook?

Edit: thank you for posting this

RichTJ99

Oct 23, 2006
NY
Are these instructions for Win 7 64 or 32 bit?

BTW, how does one go back or to menu without those buttons?

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
Do you think a partitioned SD card woul dprevent this from working?

I'm pretty sure my card is partitioned....I read something in the BIG THREAD about departitioning a card.....

I can't get this to work for me and I just thought my card might be the culprit.

Thanks

oakleyrdc

Feb 24, 2010
I cannot find the file listed in step 23. This is the only thing keeping me from root. Also when I plug my nc in, the light on the cord is amber instead of green. It tells me that adb drivers are installed. But it won't show up as a folder in my computer any more. How do I add files without removing the SD card and plugging it into my computer.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Are these instructions for Win 7 64 or 32 bit?

BTW, how does one go back or to menu without those buttons?

I did this on 32 bit - AFAIK, they don't support cygwin on 64 bit yet (it might run though, but YMMV).

The back and menu buttons are soft-buttons. The nook for some reason hides them by default in a bunch of apps.

Do you think a partitioned SD card woul dprevent this from working?

I'm pretty sure my card is partitioned....I read something in the BIG THREAD about departitioning a card.....

I can't get this to work for me and I just thought my card might be the culprit.

Thanks

IIRC, somebody said that in the big thread, too.

I cannot find the file listed in step 23. This is the only thing keeping me from root. Also when I plug my nc in, the light on the cord is amber instead of green. It tells me that adb drivers are installed. But it won't show up as a folder in my computer any more. How do I add files without removing the SD card and plugging it into my computer.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

It could be hidden (so you'll have to change the hidden files and folders setting), or installed in another user directory (like Admin).

RichTJ99

Oct 23, 2006
NY
So once your rooted, do you need to do anything special to install apk files that you download from dropbox? Is superuser ready?

cabbieBot

Apr 5, 2010
twitter.com
i cant find the android_winusb file in the windows XP version of the android SDK. is there a different one that does the same?

EDIT: it appears the sdk is not split between versions of windows

im going to reinstall the sdk and see maybe if i accidently deleted it at some point

Last edited:

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
If I run Windows XP, how many of these steps would change? I'm thinking it might need its own thread.

Very little changes; the only thing I can tell you off the top of my head is that

C:\users\<username>\.android\

Becomes

C:\documents and settings\<username>\.android\

Also, I don't know where, besides device manager, that you could locate the nook like you do in devices and printers - it may show up in my computer, also in scanners and cameras in the control panel - you can always right click a drive, select properties, select the hardware tab, select the b&n storage device, click properties, select the driver tab and uninstall from there....

HTH

EDIT: To delete the NC through device manager:

1. start > run > compmgmt.msc
  2. browse to Device Manager
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  4. Select USB Mass Storage Device (there may be multiple)
  5. Right-Click and select "properties"
  6. select the details tab
  7. in the dropdown, select "Hardware Ids" - if this says "USB\VID_2080&...." then this is the NC
  8. click ok
  9. right Click again and select uninstall
  10. disconnect NC from computer
  11. reconnect NC to computer
  12. NC re-finds all drivers, including ADB
  13. start > run > cmd
  14. cd <android-sdk-dir>\tools
  15. adb.exe remount

Last edited:

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Fixed instructions!

that's what I get for writing this crap at 1 in the AM ... I left out two INSANELY important steps at step 11.

SORRY!!!!

Windows 7 Sideload Instructions
Hope this helps some people - I tried to be very step-by-step about it.

Again, thank you Pokey9000, the guys and gals from the IRC channel, and everybody else for all of your hard work! 99.9% of this is an aggregation of what is already in this thread; some of it comes from nookdevs also.

You will need the following applications on your Windows 7 computer:

- cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com)
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) - this comes with the android SDK
- Android USB Drivers - this comes with the android SDK

-- (WOQ) stands for without quotes, it means that I am giving you something between quotes to copy and paste.
-- if you see <some_odd_name> inside quotes or a code block, it means you MUST replace this with something from your specific OS instance (e.g. a drive letter, or something)
  1. make sure your NC is disconnected from you computer
  2. make sure your SD card is mounted on your computer (readable/browsable in explorer)
  3. Install cygwin - you only need the base install AFAICT (YMMV), don't worry about the options for now.
  4. download nooter at http://www.mediafire.com/?hugt8uxcfffpdvg
  5. extract the contents to a folder in your cygwin install (standard install path is c:\cygwin)
  6. Go to: Start, type in (WOQ) "compmgmt.msc" - this may require UAC elevation
  7. Select "Disk Management" under storage
  8. note the drive letter of the SD card and the disk number
  9. Go To: Start > All Programs > Cygwin > Cygwin Bash Shell
  10. At the prompt, type:
    Code:
    mount //./<f>: /dev/sd<c>
    Where <f> is your drive letter, and
    <c> is the letter you would get if you zero-indexed the disk number into the alphabet (i.e. 0 = a, 1 = b) **
  11. press enter - there should be no output
  12. REMOVE SD CARD FROM PC
  13. INSERT SD CARD INTO PC
  14. at the prompt, type:
    Code:
    dd if=<path_to_nooter_from_cygwin_install_folder>/nooter_sdcard_40MB.img of=/dev/sd<c>
    It will sit at this for a few minutes seeming to do nothing, be patient; you should get a response eventually that looks like:
    80326+0 records in
    80326+0 records out
    41126912 bytes (41 MB) copied, 174.525 s, 236 kB/s
    IF THIS COMPLETES ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, YOU PROBABLY HAVE AN ERROR
  15. remove the sd card from the computer and plug it into the NC
  16. power down the NC (hold power button for 15 seconds)
  17. connect the NC to the computer
  18. Wait for a "Composite Device" to be recognized by Windows and fail to install drivers
  19. Wait for 15 seconds after the recognition
  20. power down the NC
  21. remove SD card ***
  22. Find your android_winusb.inf file - this is located in your android-sdk install directory in the usb_driver folder. (NOTE: if you installed this in the program files folder, you will need to UAC elevate your editor to edit this file)
  23. Paste the following lines into the file below both occurrences of the line ";Moto Sholes" after the ADBInterface definitions:
    Code:
    ;B & N Nook Color
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01
  24. save the file and close
  25. find your adb_usb.ini file - it is usually located in c:\users\<username>\.android\
  26. add (WOQ) "0x2080" on its own line
  27. power on NC - at this point, the NC should boot normally, but ADB won't be able to recognize it
  28. Go To: Start > Devices and Printers
  29. Right-click on Nook and select properties
  30. Select the hardware tab
  31. If you have something that says "Nook" and has a yellow yield sign with a "!", then continue, if not skip to 40
  32. Click on "Nook"
  33. Select Properties
  34. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  35. Click update driver
  36. Select "browse for driver software on your computer"
  37. Browse to the android-sdk/usb_driver folder
  38. click next
  39. You should be done; skip to 49 (I have no idea if this is correct - i pieced it together from somewhere in this as I did not get Nook to appear in the Device Functions List)
  40. If you don't have a "Nook" Device Function, click on "USB Mass Storage Device"
  41. Select Properties
  42. Click Change Settings (may require UAC elevation)
  43. Select the Driver Tab
  44. Click Uninstall
  45. Click OK
  46. Disconnect NC
  47. Reconnect NC
  48. You should be done (this is different from my previous instructions on how to uninstall the NC USB drivers, I have not tested it so YMMV)
  49. Go To: start > run > cmd
  50. type:
    Code:
    cd <path_to_android_sdk>\tools
    ./adb.exe kill-server
    * server not running *
    if adb.exe is not in tools (or tools does not exist), try:
    Code:
    cd <path_to_android_sdk>\platform-tools
    ./adb.exe kill-server
  51. type:
    Code:
    ./adb.exe remount
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    remount failed: No such file or directory
  52. You are done configuring to sideload

From here you should be able to sideload from ADB.

To sideload an app, simply do the following:
Code:
./adb.exe install <app_name>

Last edited:

cabbieBot

Apr 5, 2010
twitter.com
I'm an idiot, I was certain the USB Drivers were installed. Done and done now, sheesh what a waste of time!

now to hunt for adb_usb which is being a pain to find too. Has anyone found adb_usb on XP?

I can see the folder C:\documents and settings\<username>\.android\ but theres two folders in there for AVD and AndroidDesktopNotifier. Maybe if someone can upload the adb_usb file I can just throw it in the folder and cross my fingers?

Last edited: