Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Code:
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
A lot.

Original Guide

Prerequisites
1.) Download LG Root
2.) Download LG Drivers
3.) A micro USB cable connected to your PC
4.) Your device must be unencrypted
5.) Before you ask a question, make sure you looked at the pictures in the guide.

1.) Download and unzip the LG_Root.zip in your preferred location

I chose the Desktop for my location
xkBEnEt.png

2.) Enable ADB debugging on your device

Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with "You are now a developer"
Exit back to Settings main screen
In Developer Options enable USB Debugging (Some devices require enabling PTP for debugging to work)

3.) In the root of LG_Root folder start a command prompt

Instructions may vary based on Window's version
Inside of LG_Root folder hold shift and right click a blank space you should see "Open command window here"

JNudOyR.png

JMNTakw.png

4.) Now that we have a command prompt running in the root of the folder let's get started. (Commands are copy+paste unless specified)

Let's make sure our device is connected
Code:
adb.exe devices

8ahcq3C.png

5.) Great! My device is connected let's continue, we need to get the files onto the device used for this root method.

In the same command prompt let's execute another command

Code:
adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp

Ju0nDcJ.png

6.) Well that was easy , let's continue (Now that we have the files on our device we want to put our device is download mode)

(Note this method may vary from device to device)
Power off your device
When the device is powered off, hold volume up and insert a USB cable connected to the PC
Wait for the drivers to install

7.) We're almost done (you've managed to get in download mode)

HR3cXz4.png

8.) Let's find which COM port our device is connected to

Double click ports.bat (This will give us the COM port in which our device is connected we are looking for the Diag port)

You may exit this command prompt when you have your COM port number, keep the other command prompt open

SoUGF5o.png

9.) Let's Begin! (Keep the device in Download mode)

Let's run Send_Command.exe (It couldn't connect? Make sure you COM port number is correct it varies)
Code:
Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4

fre9Z9l.png

10.) Final Step!!!!!! (We must run the root script)

Code:
sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox

VVoIri8.png

11.) We're done

You may pull the battery to get the device out of Download mode

Credit
All credit goes to @jgkim find a post and thank this guy for posting the method.
Thank @high247 for ports.bat

Last edited:

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Devices confirmed working with root method (If your device isn't listed it's most likely still supported)

• LG F60 (all variants)
  • LG Tribute (all variants)
  • LG G2 (all variants)
  • LG MS395/D393
  • LG G3 (all variants)
  • LG L90 (all variants)
  • LG Transpyre
  • LG Volt (LS740)
  • LG G Flex 2

NOTE: Do not attempt this on devices with 5.1.1 , at the time this method was posted it worked on many firmware 5.0.2 and below. With the current releases from LG, this method has and will brick many users. This can be said for the one click method as well. Failure to read the complete thread may render your device non repairable as the KDZ firmware isn't released for all LG devices.

Last edited:

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Right root,unlock vzw g3 my question there is fastboot was removed..So is fastboot being replaced with that.

After zeroing out the LAF partition the boot loader falls back to fastboot the LAF partition is simply LG's Download mode. Once it falls back to fastboot you can run fastboot commands , but nothing is being replaced it existed it was just a priority LAF over fastboot. If fastboot was removed by LG in your device it wouldn't be replaced.

dabug123

Recognized Developer
Sep 25, 2014
brunswick
After zeroing out the LAF partition the boot loader falls back to fastboot the LAF partition is simply LG's Download mode. Once it falls back to fastboot you can run fastboot commands , but nothing is being replaced it existed it was just a priority LAF over fastboot. If fastboot was removed by LG in your device it wouldn't be replaced.
yes I understand laf and the ends and outs,what I'm saying is fastboot was removed on the Verizon g3 so if I remove laf there will be no fastboot.just confirming this can't replace fastboot that was removed

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
yes I understand laf and the ends and outs,what I'm saying is fastboot was removed on the Verizon g3 so if I remove laf there will be no fastboot.just confirming this can't replace fastboot that was removed

I guess I should warn people about that thanks, hopefully someone can find a workaround for the secure boot.

Last edited:

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
I've re installed the LG Driver three times with no luck getting my phone to be recognized when I'm in fastboot mode.

I attached a picture showing with what is happening when in fastboot. I did try poniting to the LG Driver Folder, but it said it could not find anything. When I'm just in MTP or PTP Debug Mode the phone is recognized, so I'm confused.

It may be due to XP but could you try this guide here here

Reactions: high247

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Ya definitely ,I know better but guy above may have already gone down that road.Would be nice to replace it somehow..The users may not realize Verizon is the only g3 with no fastboot and removing laf can be very dangerous..

You can actually add it back manually just start a shell and reverse the command

dd if=/sdcard/laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf

added it to guide. Thanks again.

Last edited:

high247

Nov 7, 2010
Hartford
Got it my driver issue fixed with the help of this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59310899&postcount=471 the driver in the file he attached is just what I needed to get it to work correctly.

It might also be very useful for anyone else who might run into the same problem I did. Cheers! :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Rooted, Bootloader UNLOCKED, and installed AdFree.apk... Today was a good day!

dabug123

Recognized Developer
Sep 25, 2014
brunswick
You can actually add it back manually just start a shell and reverse the command

No u misunderstood me again I mean I wish this was a way to put fastboot back.Good u added those instructions though for adding laf back,good to have posted.

eakintunde

Mar 23, 2014
Thank you so much Unjustified Dev! I was almost quite literally banging my head against a wall trying to figure this out. This guide was just I needed. My mistake was just opening the command prompt by itself instead of opening the command prompt in the folder itself. No I'm fully rooted. Thanks again!:D:good:

Reactions: Unjustified Dev

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011

I can't do this because I'm on vzw, but I must be missing something.
Normally you would have to run a fastboot command similar to, fastboot oem unlock, but I don't see where you instructed to run any commands.
Maybe I overlooked it, went to bed at 12 and woke up for work at 4:30 lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
    A lot.

Original Guide

Prerequisites
    1.) Download LG Root
    2.) Download LG Drivers
    3.) A micro USB cable connected to your PC
    4.) Your device must be unencrypted
    5.) Before you ask a question, make sure you looked at the pictures in the guide.

1.) Download and unzip the LG_Root.zip in your preferred location

I chose the Desktop for my location
    xkBEnEt.png

2.) Enable ADB debugging on your device

Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information and tap build number until you are presented with "You are now a developer"
    Exit back to Settings main screen
    In Developer Options enable USB Debugging (Some devices require enabling PTP for debugging to work)

3.) In the root of LG_Root folder start a command prompt

Instructions may vary based on Window's version
    Inside of LG_Root folder hold shift and right click a blank space you should see "Open command window here"

JNudOyR.png

JMNTakw.png

4.) Now that we have a command prompt running in the root of the folder let's get started. (Commands are copy+paste unless specified)

Let's make sure our device is connected
    Code:
    adb.exe devices

8ahcq3C.png

5.) Great! My device is connected let's continue, we need to get the files onto the device used for this root method.

In the same command prompt let's execute another command

Code:
    adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp

Ju0nDcJ.png

6.) Well that was easy , let's continue (Now that we have the files on our device we want to put our device is download mode)

(Note this method may vary from device to device)
    Power off your device
    When the device is powered off, hold volume up and insert a USB cable connected to the PC
    Wait for the drivers to install

7.) We're almost done (you've managed to get in download mode)

HR3cXz4.png

8.) Let's find which COM port our device is connected to

Double click ports.bat (This will give us the COM port in which our device is connected we are looking for the Diag port)

You may exit this command prompt when you have your COM port number, keep the other command prompt open

SoUGF5o.png

9.) Let's Begin! (Keep the device in Download mode)

Let's run Send_Command.exe (It couldn't connect? Make sure you COM port number is correct it varies)
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4

fre9Z9l.png

10.) Final Step!!!!!! (We must run the root script)

Code:
    sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox

VVoIri8.png

11.) We're done

You may pull the battery to get the device out of Download mode

Credit
    All credit goes to @jgkim find a post and thank this guy for posting the method.
    Thank @high247 for ports.bat
    One Click Root

You can follow the one click root guide here thanks to @avicohh
    Devices confirmed working with root method (If your device isn't listed it's most likely still supported)

• LG F60 (all variants)
    • LG Tribute (all variants)
    • LG G2 (all variants)
    • LG MS395/D393
    • LG G3 (all variants)
    • LG L90 (all variants)
    • LG Transpyre
    • LG Volt (LS740)
    • LG G Flex 2

NOTE: Do not attempt this on devices with 5.1.1 , at the time this method was posted it worked on many firmware 5.0.2 and below. With the current releases from LG, this method has and will brick many users. This can be said for the one click method as well. Failure to read the complete thread may render your device non repairable as the KDZ firmware isn't released for all LG devices.
    Linux version of Send_Command

I've prepared a Linux port of the Send_Command tool. Now we can root without windows.
    Thank you to Only, pangolin.rollin, and Unjustified Dev who made this possible.
    http://jacobstoner.com/qcdlcomm.py
    Run the python script in a terminal for instructions. Feedback is appreciated.
    Got it my driver issue fixed with the help of this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59310899&postcount=471 the driver in the file he attached is just what I needed to get it to work correctly.

It might also be very useful for anyone else who might run into the same problem I did. Cheers! :cool:

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Rooted, Bootloader UNLOCKED, and installed AdFree.apk... Today was a good day!