rooting

Search This thread

DJGREEN1980

Nov 21, 2011
Hi

I am going to root my G2 for the first time. its currently on stock jellybean.

I would like to know if I should root now on jelly bean and install a custom rom or upgrade to stock kitkat first and then root?

if I am going to a kitkat custom rom would it make more sense to upgrade to stock kit kat first or is it easier to root from jellybean?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

DJGREEN1980

Nov 21, 2011
Hi

Can anyone advise on the above? I know I should be reading all the forums which I will but was just after a quick general answer so I know where to start from. I'm not new to rooting and flashing roms but I am new to the G2.

Thanks

MarioMoPho

May 13, 2012
Dallas
I would recommend updating to Kit Kat first then rooting using IOroot25. That way you will have the latest radio/modem stuff to use KK Roms

aleasto

Jul 15, 2012
Milan
i9100
Samsung Galaxy S5
Depends on the ROM. If the dev says you have to have Kitkat modem or other stuff from Kitkat, then update and root with ioroot25. If not, it will be a waste of time, so:
Download anything you need from the new ROM and put all in your phone storage (so that if you accidentally brick you still have files to flash in your SD), root, install recovery (I suggest TWRP) and from there flash your ROM!

Last edited: