[APP] Link2SD - *choose* which apps to move to SD on Eclair

Search This thread

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
This is a thread about a brilliant application, developed by xda-member bakpinar.

You can watch the original thread and download the application here!

Instead of moving all applications to SD card with app2sd, I want to move only selected applications.
Because I don't want to move my launcher, soft keyboard and dialer application to SD and make them unavaliable on boot if my SD card has problem or not inserted.
In order to resolve this I developed an application called Link2SD.

The idea behind is same, linking to SD card's second partition but differs in two ways.

One, instead of linking /data/app folder (that means moving all applications), you can select applications that you want to move.

Two, it's an application which means has a user interface. You can manage your applications, create or remove links with just one click.

Features:
Creates and removes link for application you select
Lists applications, shows their link status
Sorts and filters applications
Displays available space information of internal storage, SD card and SD card 2nd partition.

What you need:
root permission.
a second partition on your SD card. You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.

The first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage. The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.
ext4 is the latest ext format but several ROMs have issues with it while fewer have issues with ext3 and ext2. FAT works on all ROMs.

I use free "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" (windows application) for this.
You can create the second partition without repartitioning, formatting or deleting your existing partition with this tool. Connect your SD card to PC with a card reader or phone itself and make it visible as a drive. Open Minitool select this drive and resize down FAT partition, you will see an unallocated area at the end of the card. Create ext2, ext3 or FAT32 partition in that area (create as primary, not logical), click apply. Unplug from the PC and reboot the phone. (To be on the safe side backup your data before starting)
That's all. Just install Link2SD, it will do all necessary. No need to copy files or run scripts.*
* Some phones lack the ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system support and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones need a matching ext2.ko or ext3.ko modules and even some additional modules to be able to mount.
Using FAT32 on the second partition will eleminate such problems, because FAT32 is supported on all phones.

How it works:
Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time.

When you select an application and press "Create Link" button it moves apk file and dalvik-cache file (if you select) to SD card's second partition and creates symbolic links in original directories (/data/app and /data/dalvik-cache).

Note: After this step, application icon disappears from the phone on Android 1.6 and 2.1, but after reboot you can see and run without problems. On 2.2+ this is not the case.

Can I remove the link and put application back to phone storage?
Yes, just click on application which is linked and press "Remove Link" button. Link2SD removes symbolic links and moves apk and dex files to orginal directories.

What happens if I uninstall a linked application?
If you uninstall a linked application apk and dex files will be automatically deleted from the SD card by Link2SD.

What happens if I update a linked application?
If you update a linked application new apk and dex files will be placed in the internal memory at first and then they will be automatically relinked by Link2SD in the background.
You don't have to manually relink after updating applications.
Note: Since it is linked again application icon disappears from the phone on Android 1.6 and 2.1, you need to reboot.

Android Market and Link2SD
Android Market doesn't see applications that have been link to SD card. Because vending process marks them as "UNINSTALLED" when the link created.
To repair their state use "Market Fix" menu.
This will synchronize Android Market database with installed applications and missing market apps will be repaired.
Note: Before starting, make sure market is not running and you're not downloading anything from the market.

Some points
If you applied App2sd, please uninstall App2sd and revert to original. Otherwise you cannot create link with Link2SD. Link2SD detects this and warns you at startup.
Link2SD detects applications which are already moved to SD card on Android 2.2+ natively and disables "create link" for them.
System applications should not be linked to SD card. Link2SD does not allow these applications to be linked.
When you connect your phone to PC as mass storage, Android unmounts FAT partition but the second partition remains mounted. Therefore linked applications are not affected and can be run without problems.
Link2SD does not move application data directory, it moves apk and dex (dalvik-cache) files.

DISCLAIMER: It is made available for use at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

It's avaliable on Android Market. Search the market for "Link2SD" or scan the QR here.

UPDATE:
- fixed background message
- added ext3, ext4 and FAT32 support for the second partition of SD card
- added refresh menu
- added "Not Linked" filter option
- changed App2sd checking
- added support in linking protected (/data/app-private) apps
- added support in detecting and mounting the second partition for some roms
- some bugfixes
- disabled automatic Market status fix after linking
- added option to link dalvik-cache (.dex) files along with apk files
- added automatic re-linking after app upgrade
- added automatic deleting from SD card after app uninstall
- added "Reinstall" button
- added "Link dalvik-cache files" menu which links dex files of all existing linked applications all at once
- added automatic Market status fix after linking
- better froyo support
- added dex file size and link status information
- added support in detecting and mounting ext2 partition for some roms
- some minor bugfixes
- added uninstall feature which deletes apk file also from ext2 for linked apps
- added launch and manage buttons
- added detailed size information of applications
- some minor bugfixes
- added info message to show which applications have been repaired after "Market Fix"
- added "Market Fix" feature to repair missing Market applications
- removed "ext2 found" info message at startup
- some minor bugfixes
- added support for some roms which install-recovery.sh is not operational
- added ext2.ko module installation on boot (if exists) for Motorola phones
- changed mount method at startup to be much safer
- some minor bugfixes
- initial release

I find that it is working perfectly on X10, on stock SE 2.1 ROM! :)

But be careful:

1. If you have an application already installed and used, and decide to use Link2SD to move it to your SD, it probably will not work, as in it will force-close after a few seconds of opening, it will not function properly (VidTrim for example, could not save trimmed videos) or not open at all. BUT if you install an application and DON'T OPEN IT, but immediately use Link2SD, move it to your SD and reboot, it will work perfectly fine!

2. If you are missing Market links after moving apps to your SD, Titanium Backup's Market Doctor restores them perfectly!

THE ABOVE ISSUES WERE ADDRESSED AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT!!!! ;)

Last edited:

tdiddy1987

Feb 4, 2011
toronto
i jusut fouund this and it looks like it could be really useful because i only have 200ish megs left on my initernal memory and i want to have as much as possible (because i believe it will help performance?)
so will i have to delete and reinstall all of the apps i want put on my sd card?

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
i jusut fouund this and it looks like it could be really useful because i only have 200ish megs left on my initernal memory and i want to have as much as possible (because i believe it will help performance?)
so will i have to delete and reinstall all of the apps i want put on my sd card?
You have enough space, and unless you fall down to 10-15 MB left, you won't notice any difference in performance.
But still, you can use this app, as long as you partition your SD first! ;)
And yes, you will need to reinstall!

tdiddy1987

Feb 4, 2011
toronto
You have enough space, and unless you fall down to 10-15 MB left, you won't notice any difference in performance.
But still, you can use this app, as long as you partition your SD first! ;)
And yes, you will need to reinstall!

so iv done a bit of testing now and im not soo sure why u were having that problem

i tried ur idea (uninstall and reinstall without opening and then link) with angry birds and it worked

but just for the sake of it i tried to link a few apps without uninstalling and reinstalling them
i did it with a few games and the cineplex application (a great one for movies here in toronto) and after 2 restarts they are still successfully linked and fully functional
im on the stock 2.1 rom with root jit and xrec

bolillo

this app is exactly what i needed and works flawlesly. For now that is ^_^ Also i tested it on some already installed apps and i can confirm that i didnt get an fc

Sent from my X10a on stock 2.1 rooted, jit and dualtouch enabled using XDA App

Last edited:

czw2002cn

May 15, 2010
Link2SD is not working on my CM 6.1.3 and freeX10 beta4...it displays the SD card format is unsupported and broken,needed to reformat

czw2002cn

May 15, 2010
Originally Posted by czw2002cn
Link2SD is not working on my CM 6.1.3 and freeX10 beta4...it displays the SD card format is unsupported and broken,needed to reformat

Why not using app2sd?
This program is a sort of app2sd but for 2.1 systems.
You dont need this because you have 2.2 and you can use app2sd.

Yes,i formatted the sd to 1 fat32 and 1 ext2, the problem is if i use both 2.1(with link2sd) and 2.2, after i restore the 2.2 to the system, i need to reformat my SD card in order to use it. the only reason i use the 2.1 is that it has HD video recording and picture taking, Video illusion in 2.2 will have a broken audio in the camcorder.

kanchigo

May 24, 2009
Sydney
This is a thread about a brilliant application, developed by xda-member bakpinar.

But be careful:

1. If you have an application already installed and used, and decide to use Link2SD to move it to your SD, it probably will not work, as in it will force-close after a few seconds of opening, it will not function properly (VidTrim for example, could not save trimmed videos) or not open at all. BUT if you install an application and DON'T OPEN IT, but immediately use Link2SD, move it to your SD and reboot, it will work perfectly fine!

2. If you are missing Market links after moving apps to your SD, Titanium Backup's Market Doctor restores them perfectly!

U're amazing...

Jul 8, 2010
it gives me an error on my xperia x10 min

i have done all the steps correctly.when i launch link2sd it asks me to select the second partition file system..i select ext2 from there but then it gives me an error saying

" root access warning
link2sd could not gain root access

if you have root access make sure you respond 'allow' to superuser prompt"

i m new to android.. wat should i do to make it work

davelinders

Jan 27, 2011
it gives me an error on my xperia x10 min

i have done all the steps correctly.when i launch link2sd it asks me to select the second partition file system..i select ext2 from there but then it gives me an error saying

" root access warning
link2sd could not gain root access

if you have root access make sure you respond 'allow' to superuser prompt"

i m new to android.. wat should i do to make it work

You must root youre phone to make this work.
Try This link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834428
Then try Link2SD again.

davelinders

Jan 27, 2011
I decided to go back to 2.1 stock firmware because everything is almost available for it like
2.2 but in 2.1 everythings works like camera recording and no FC's.

I was on 2.2 because i wanted dual touch and app2sd support that's all,
but no spiderman and no camera and some FC's decided i go back to 2.1.

Happy you got this link2sd because now i got 2.1 with spiderman and multi-touch
and app2sd(link2sd) and your link2sd works lika a charm.

Now i got a very completed firmware with everything working whats working
to on a 2.2 system (except for flash but i dont needed it).

So thanks.

gnarg

Nov 3, 2010
@home
Hi folks...
- installed Link2SD...tried to make the partition in ext2 and ext3 but neither of them worked for me...(got script-error, couldn't mount partition..)
tried Fat32 and everything works like a charm...very nice app...

20110302163412.png
20110302163516.png

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
I'm thinking about installing this to move big apps, even when I have ca 230MB left on my phone.
Can I still see the linked apps in Settings/Applications or only in Link2SD?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, good.
Installed the app a few mins ago. Now I can link big apps like Angry Birds =)
Do you also move the dalvik cache? I think I read somewhere that could make the phone unstable...

EDIT:
Tried it with Angry Birds, the app needs much longer to start and gaming isn't fluent =(
I'll try it with another game and hope it's better.
Is it because I made the partition 125MB "big" and used FAT32?

EDIT 2:
Now it works fine :)

Should we move the dalvik-cache, too?

Last edited:

abdurahman

May 2, 2009
Los Angeles
about the apps not working if you've used them before you use link2sd, they work fine for me, i had a 4gb class 6 card, so i made a 400mb ext2 partition, and i put all my games on that, and my apps on internal memory, so now I have 275mb free internal and 200mb free on ext2, this is the greatest app ever!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instead of moving all applications to SD card with app2sd, I want to move only selected applications.
    Because I don't want to move my launcher, soft keyboard and dialer application to SD and make them unavaliable on boot if my SD card has problem or not inserted.
    In order to resolve this I developed an application called Link2SD.

The idea behind is same, linking to SD card's second partition but differs in two ways.

One, instead of linking /data/app folder (that means moving all applications), you can select applications that you want to move.

Two, it's an application which means has a user interface. You can manage your applications, create or remove links with just one click.

Features:
    Creates and removes link for application you select
    Lists applications, shows their link status
    Sorts and filters applications
    Displays available space information of internal storage, SD card and SD card 2nd partition.

What you need:
    root permission.
    a second partition on your SD card. You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.

The first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage. The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.
    ext4 is the latest ext format but several ROMs have issues with it while fewer have issues with ext3 and ext2. FAT works on all ROMs.

I use free "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" (windows application) for this.
    You can create the second partition without repartitioning, formatting or deleting your existing partition with this tool. Connect your SD card to PC with a card reader or phone itself and make it visible as a drive. Open Minitool select this drive and resize down FAT partition, you will see an unallocated area at the end of the card. Create ext2, ext3 or FAT32 partition in that area (create as primary, not logical), click apply. Unplug from the PC and reboot the phone. (To be on the safe side backup your data before starting)
    That's all. Just install Link2SD, it will do all necessary. No need to copy files or run scripts.*
    * Some phones lack the ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system support and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones need a matching ext2.ko or ext3.ko modules and even some additional modules to be able to mount.
    Using FAT32 on the second partition will eleminate such problems, because FAT32 is supported on all phones.

How it works:
    Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time.

When you select an application and press "Create Link" button it moves apk file and dalvik-cache file (if you select) to SD card's second partition and creates symbolic links in original directories (/data/app and /data/dalvik-cache).

Note: After this step, application icon disappears from the phone on Android 1.6 and 2.1, but after reboot you can see and run without problems. On 2.2+ this is not the case.

Can I remove the link and put application back to phone storage?
    Yes, just click on application which is linked and press "Remove Link" button. Link2SD removes symbolic links and moves apk and dex files to orginal directories.

What happens if I uninstall a linked application?
    If you uninstall a linked application apk and dex files will be automatically deleted from the SD card by Link2SD.

What happens if I update a linked application?
    If you update a linked application new apk and dex files will be placed in the internal memory at first and then they will be automatically relinked by Link2SD in the background.
    You don't have to manually relink after updating applications.
    Note: Since it is linked again application icon disappears from the phone on Android 1.6 and 2.1, you need to reboot.

Android Market and Link2SD
    Android Market doesn't see applications that have been link to SD card. Because vending process marks them as "UNINSTALLED" when the link created.
    To repair their state use "Market Fix" menu.
    This will synchronize Android Market database with installed applications and missing market apps will be repaired.
    Note: Before starting, make sure market is not running and you're not downloading anything from the market.

Some points
    If you applied App2sd, please uninstall App2sd and revert to original. Otherwise you cannot create link with Link2SD. Link2SD detects this and warns you at startup.
    Link2SD detects applications which are already moved to SD card on Android 2.2+ natively and disables "create link" for them.
    System applications should not be linked to SD card. Link2SD does not allow these applications to be linked.
    When you connect your phone to PC as mass storage, Android unmounts FAT partition but the second partition remains mounted. Therefore linked applications are not affected and can be run without problems.
    Link2SD does not move application data directory, it moves apk and dex (dalvik-cache) files.

DISCLAIMER: It is made available for use at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

It's avaliable on Android Market. Search the market for "Link2SD" or scan the QR here.

UPDATE:
    - fixed background message
    - added ext3, ext4 and FAT32 support for the second partition of SD card
    - added refresh menu
    - added "Not Linked" filter option
    - changed App2sd checking
    - added support in linking protected (/data/app-private) apps
    - added support in detecting and mounting the second partition for some roms
    - some bugfixes
    - disabled automatic Market status fix after linking
    - added option to link dalvik-cache (.dex) files along with apk files
    - added automatic re-linking after app upgrade
    - added automatic deleting from SD card after app uninstall
    - added "Reinstall" button
    - added "Link dalvik-cache files" menu which links dex files of all existing linked applications all at once
    - added automatic Market status fix after linking
    - better froyo support
    - added dex file size and link status information
    - some minor bugfixes
    - added uninstall feature which deletes apk file also from ext2 for linked apps
    - added launch and manage buttons
    - added detailed size information of applications
    - some minor bugfixes
    - added info message to show which applications have been repaired after "Market Fix"
    - added "Market Fix" feature to repair missing Market applications
    - removed "ext2 found" info message at startup
    - some minor bugfixes
    - added support for some roms which install-recovery.sh is not operational
    - added ext2.ko module installation on boot (if exists) for Motorola phones
    - changed mount method at startup to be much safer
    - some minor bugfixes
    - initial release

But be careful:

THE ABOVE ISSUES WERE ADDRESSED AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT!!!! ;)
    I don't understand this app. With Apps2SD you can pick and choose which apps move.

That's only for the native apps2sd on Froyo.
    With this app, you can move the apks of every app you choose on an ext partition on your SD.
    sounds really promising
    I have found a solution

Hy again,

After looking a little bit more I have find the problem with Link2sd on my SE X10 mini (Android 2.1)

The initscript to mount the 2nd partition is found in /system/ect/install-recovery.sh
    My partition is correctly mount in /data/sdext2
    The link of the file are working correctly in /data/app

for example:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 40 May 21 08:36 ←[1;36mcom.rovio.angryb
    irdsrio.apk←[0m -> ←[0;0m/data/sdext2/com.rovio.angrybirdsrio.apk←[0m

However looking at the /data/ directory I saw that the chmod were different for apps than for sdext2:

drwxrwx__x /data/app/
    drwx__x___ /data/sdext2

Therefore I've perfomed a:

chmod 771 /data/sdext2

and everything works now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!