[QPST] Rezound QPST Diag mode

Search This thread

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Warning!!! Assuming you can find QPST and get it running, don't play around unless you know what you are doing. It is extremely likely you will brick your phone.

In the midst of my poking around I discovered you can enable the phone's diag mode with:

In rom:
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_diag/on

In recovery:
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/usb_composite/diag/enable
I haven't been able to find any driver downloads that work with it, but I did get Window 7 64 bit working:

In fastboot:
Code:
fastboot oem enableqxdm
1. Open Windows device manager
2. Double click on HTC DIAG (or HTC 9k DIAG for LTE, I haven't tried that one yet though)
3. Update Driver
4. Browse My computer for software
5. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
6. Ports (COM and LPT)
7. HTC Corporation
8. HTC Diagnostic Interface

So far I have only done this from inside my booted rom. I still need to test from recovery.

This is a screen shot of some of what is available in QPST EFS explorer:
rezoundEfsExplore.jpg

Here is a small sample of what is available in QPST RF NV Manager:
rezoundrfnvmanager.jpg

Last edited:

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Until you release something useful that corresponds to this or are trying to create a think tank for a specific problem, this probably belongs in the general section along with the photos.

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Until you release something useful that corresponds to this or are trying to create a think tank for a specific problem, this probably belongs in the general section along with the photos.

"If you are posting something that others may use regarding development such as a new ROM, kernel, guide, mod, recovery, or tool, it will be posted there. "

All of my threads have directly pertained to this statement. The android development folder is where this info has generally been posted for other phones, so it seemed reasonable to do so for the Rezound as well.

If mods want to move it I don't care. I was just posting in the place that most closely fit the rules.

bouchedag

Jun 9, 2009
The only benefits to this diag mode is manually changing the PRL, or if you wanted to provision the phone to another cdma network, Other then that no real development use/need.

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
The fact you keep posting worthless information in our development forum.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

I am sorry that you are the opinion that it is worthless. However, it does have merit and I am glad I posted it for the people that it helped out. Whatever you think, being able to access diagnostic modes for devices is essential to development. All the other people who have posted the same information in the other HTC phone dev forums seem to agree with me. Since It took me quite a while to get some of this working on the rezound due to it not being in this forum, I thought it might be useful to someone else. I personally like sharing information I have learned. The path to enable this diagnostic mode is not the same as any other phone I came across. This leads me to believe that it is useful information.

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Just tell us what we can do with it. Then it isn't worthless. That is seriously the only difference. If there is something that can be done with it, by all means, post it. I know you don't want to help me so I won't be expecting anything.

I honestly assumed that all the all knowing people in this forum would already know why one would want to be able to access our phone with QPST. I've only been doing HTC dev for a couple days and I already figured it out.

Off the top of my head:
Back up NV ram without being in recovery
Full access to EFS
Access to change all NV variables
Radio troubleshooting
Radio transmit power

A real world example would be the ability to trouble shoot the SMS problems associated with using the Rezound on non-Verizon networks.

I wasn't even looking for any of this. All I wanted to do was turn on the serial output over USB, but I came across this information and I thought someone else would find it useful. As I've said before, people thought it was useful for other phones. How was I to know that it would be received as such here.

I know that a lot of you already know this stuff. The problem is that since it was assumed we wouldn't have S-OFF no one has posted it for our phone. That means that the people who are doing dev work more complicated than changing font size in a ROM have had to look elsewhere for information. I haven't posted a single thing in this dev forum that wasn't posted in another HTC phone's dev forum. I also haven't posted anything that was already clearly answered in a post in the rezound forums. I personally think that everything I have posted is relevent to dev work. Other forums have used blurry-cam shots for developing S-OFF. It was reasonable to think that clear highres shots might be useful for something. People are still locking and unlocking their bootloaders. It was reasonable to think that having super CID so that you wouldn't have to lock the bootloaders before flashing an RUU would be useful to some. Personally, I like being able to have my hboot not say "locked". If nothing else, how is that any different from people who like a different splash screen for their phone? I can guarantee I've spent more time in hboot than anyone here has spent looking at their splash screen. Aside from that, I actually have come across some very minuscule things that superCID brings that I can't articulate right now. I'm way too pissed off to get that technical. Maybe it is worthless, but with the work I'm doing it would be stupid to not consider it. Until I posted here I had no clue people would think it was worthless and there wasn't anything in any of our forums to suggest otherwise.

I could go on, but I'll change direction a bit. I'm working on getting 100% pure AOSP working with a current 3.3 kernel and a new customized hboot. I already have the kernel compiled and semi-working and would be in the same place with AOSP but google made changes to their build process in the last month and I ended up with a corrupted build tree. I haven't wanted to say anything because a. I don't want to get people excited if it ended up not working or I decide something else is more interesting, and b. because I want to have something that is past the pre-alpha stage before I say anything.

EVERYTHING I have posted is useful information for the DEV work I am doing. I just wasted 5+ hours dealing with the fact I thought someone else might like the info and having to deal with the snooty people that ruin XDA for the people like me who are doing this kind of work for the pure thrill of the fact that it is borderline impossible. I personally think AOSP is flawed at its core and is ultimately a waste of time, but I don't care because it is still something fun to work on and I'd like to think that I can ultimately make a tiny difference towards fixing the issues I see with it. Discussions like this just make me want to delete my account and just keep the info to myself.

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Well if you would have posted that to begin with we wouldn't be having this problem.

I assumed that all knowing people like you already knew it. I admit it is completely my bad for not going deeper into it. Aside from the fact that I thought I was doing the right thing part of the reason I posted in the dev forums is because I didn't want people who haven't at least read the dev forums messing around with this stuff since there is a pretty much 100% chance of ruining your phone if you don't know what you are doing (and probably not much lower of a chance even if you do. I'm honestly kind of surprised I haven't bricked my phone yet).

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I assumed that all knowing people like you already knew it. I admit it is completely my bad for not going deeper into it. Aside from the fact that I thought I was doing the right thing part of the reason I posted in the dev forums is because I didn't want people who haven't at least read the dev forums messing around with this stuff since there is a pretty much 100% chance of ruining your phone if you don't know what you are doing (and probably not much lower of a chance even if you do. I'm honestly kind of surprised I haven't bricked my phone yet).

Since you mentioned it. Might be a good idea to put a big red disclaimer at the top stating that if you don't know what you are doing you will brick your phone.

Concerning aosp are you close to just booting? Or have you been working on ril too?

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH
Since you mentioned it. Might be a good idea to put a big red disclaimer at the top stating that if you don't know what you are doing you will brick your phone.

Concerning aosp are you close to just booting? Or have you been working on ril too?

Good point, will do so. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Unfortunately I lost all my work with AOSP. I only just now got the source re-synced. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get back up and going though. I'm going to start from scratch this time instead of building off of someone else's work so when I have errors they will be mine and I won't have to look all over the place trying to figure out what is going on. I did just get done with a basic generic build though so at least that is working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just tell us what we can do with it. Then it isn't worthless. That is seriously the only difference. If there is something that can be done with it, by all means, post it. I know you don't want to help me so I won't be expecting anything.

I honestly assumed that all the all knowing people in this forum would already know why one would want to be able to access our phone with QPST. I've only been doing HTC dev for a couple days and I already figured it out.

Off the top of my head:
    Back up NV ram without being in recovery
    Full access to EFS
    Access to change all NV variables
    Radio troubleshooting
    Radio transmit power

A real world example would be the ability to trouble shoot the SMS problems associated with using the Rezound on non-Verizon networks.

I wasn't even looking for any of this. All I wanted to do was turn on the serial output over USB, but I came across this information and I thought someone else would find it useful. As I've said before, people thought it was useful for other phones. How was I to know that it would be received as such here.

I know that a lot of you already know this stuff. The problem is that since it was assumed we wouldn't have S-OFF no one has posted it for our phone. That means that the people who are doing dev work more complicated than changing font size in a ROM have had to look elsewhere for information. I haven't posted a single thing in this dev forum that wasn't posted in another HTC phone's dev forum. I also haven't posted anything that was already clearly answered in a post in the rezound forums. I personally think that everything I have posted is relevent to dev work. Other forums have used blurry-cam shots for developing S-OFF. It was reasonable to think that clear highres shots might be useful for something. People are still locking and unlocking their bootloaders. It was reasonable to think that having super CID so that you wouldn't have to lock the bootloaders before flashing an RUU would be useful to some. Personally, I like being able to have my hboot not say "locked". If nothing else, how is that any different from people who like a different splash screen for their phone? I can guarantee I've spent more time in hboot than anyone here has spent looking at their splash screen. Aside from that, I actually have come across some very minuscule things that superCID brings that I can't articulate right now. I'm way too pissed off to get that technical. Maybe it is worthless, but with the work I'm doing it would be stupid to not consider it. Until I posted here I had no clue people would think it was worthless and there wasn't anything in any of our forums to suggest otherwise.

I could go on, but I'll change direction a bit. I'm working on getting 100% pure AOSP working with a current 3.3 kernel and a new customized hboot. I already have the kernel compiled and semi-working and would be in the same place with AOSP but google made changes to their build process in the last month and I ended up with a corrupted build tree. I haven't wanted to say anything because a. I don't want to get people excited if it ended up not working or I decide something else is more interesting, and b. because I want to have something that is past the pre-alpha stage before I say anything.

EVERYTHING I have posted is useful information for the DEV work I am doing. I just wasted 5+ hours dealing with the fact I thought someone else might like the info and having to deal with the snooty people that ruin XDA for the people like me who are doing this kind of work for the pure thrill of the fact that it is borderline impossible. I personally think AOSP is flawed at its core and is ultimately a waste of time, but I don't care because it is still something fun to work on and I'd like to think that I can ultimately make a tiny difference towards fixing the issues I see with it. Discussions like this just make me want to delete my account and just keep the info to myself.
    Warning!!! Assuming you can find QPST and get it running, don't play around unless you know what you are doing. It is extremely likely you will brick your phone.

In the midst of my poking around I discovered you can enable the phone's diag mode with:

In rom:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/android_usb/android0/f_diag/on

In recovery:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/usb_composite/diag/enable
    I haven't been able to find any driver downloads that work with it, but I did get Window 7 64 bit working:

In fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot oem enableqxdm
    1. Open Windows device manager
    2. Double click on HTC DIAG (or HTC 9k DIAG for LTE, I haven't tried that one yet though)
    3. Update Driver
    4. Browse My computer for software
    5. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    6. Ports (COM and LPT)
    7. HTC Corporation
    8. HTC Diagnostic Interface

So far I have only done this from inside my booted rom. I still need to test from recovery.

This is a screen shot of some of what is available in QPST EFS explorer:
    rezoundEfsExplore.jpg

Here is a small sample of what is available in QPST RF NV Manager:
    rezoundrfnvmanager.jpg
    Or if you did a little research you would know....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Well if you would have posted that to begin with we wouldn't be having this problem.

so the reason you were making all these post were to try and get thanks?

lol all the proof you need that xda = drama queens. its like your out to try and find ways to piss in peoples wheaties. I always viewed it as unless its proved useless information then it has a good chance of being useful in some way... but i suppose thats not the way it works for some people

I am sorry that you are the opinion that it is worthless. However, it does have merit and I am glad I posted it for the people that it helped out. Whatever you think, being able to access diagnostic modes for devices is essential to development. All the other people who have posted the same information in the other HTC phone dev forums seem to agree with me. Since It took me quite a while to get some of this working on the rezound due to it not being in this forum, I thought it might be useful to someone else. I personally like sharing information I have learned. The path to enable this diagnostic mode is not the same as any other phone I came across. This leads me to believe that it is useful information.