[DISCUSSION] ANDROID/MAEMO/LINUX on HD2 (Discussion Thread)

Search This thread

x omega

Jan 15, 2010
Okay I'm a lurker on the developer thread and I thought it best to create a separate topic where everyone can talk about it (or complain that people can't shoehorn an OS on a device fast enough for their liking despite the fact that people are doing it for free basically) without all this "DEVELOPER DISCUSSION ONLY AUGUGHGH" "but we don't know where else to post about it"-ism

so this thread is for the non-developer discussion of said project:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=578575

(won't let me past "outside links"(?) cos I'm a n00b for some reason)

so there's no excuse now for anyone who posts "when is it done?" in the other thread

Also, a few pointers since some people don't get it and I'd rather save a developers/non-developers civil war thing.

How long will it take? - You're looking at about a year at least. Remember, it's installing an OS on a system that isn't meant to even have it. It's going to take a hell of a lot of time to guesswork and muck around with this stuff.

(all the people moaning on engadget re: the US HD2 launch being all "HTC release an android update right now :mad:" and then being all "OH XDA WILL SORT IT OUT" (because apparently xda is their overnight miracle machine) annoy me something chronic for this reason.)

remember too that these people are more or less doing this for free.

Can't you just install the Nexus/Supersonic/etc. rom on there? - No.

from what I understand of the whole thing (I'm not a developer so take this with a pinch of salt) there's an awful lot of different code and such on these things which means it isn't as easy to just "install" it on another OS. It's like asking why you just can't fit a jaguar engine into a VW beetle. It could work, but there'd be a lot of work and rerouting etc. to be made and even then it would need a lot of tuning and sorting out.

Is it ready yet? - No. You will know when it's ready.

What's happening at the moment? - From what I've read of the whole thing they're trying to iron out kinks with the linux Haret thing thats going to run Android. After they've got it to boot, they're going to have to try and get android working with the HD2. This is why it's taking so long.

so yeah.

Last edited:

terminal 7

Jan 27, 2008
exeter, uk.
hey??

yeah but..

this is the xda DEVELOPERS forum

and this is the HD2 DEVELOPEMENT section

so i guess the linux android development thread does what its supposed to !!

i know its frustrating and you like me want android on the hd2 but to be honest i i find half the fun is the bloody long wait and the small progressions that are made, thats how we learn.

:)=====PEACE=====:)

edit >> ok looks like this thread was useful after all - my wrong !! .. :)

Last edited:

x omega

Jan 15, 2010
**shrug**

A mod can move it elsewhere if needs be, I was just getting sick of all the feuding going on between people who wanted to talk about it and the developers yelling at the people who aren't posting about developing and thought it best to make a separate thread so non-developer people can talk about the project and developer people can drop in and give advice

terminal 7

Jan 27, 2008
exeter, uk.
yeah

actually you got a point.
theres a fair ammount of flame grill on the other thread that does get annoying

i subscribe to the other thread so i get an instant email for every post and i get my email on my hd2 just as you would a text message so it can be a pain.

:)=====PEACE=====:)

Zepiii

Retired Forum Moderator
Ha finally found again this topic.

I am wishing you all my best to port Android to the HD2 because with all the **** around WinMo 7 comptability, you look the only one able to save the HD2 in the future!

I really hope everyday that Android will be working on our HD2...

Btw, the HTC Desire is going to be out soon, and it has the same specification than the HD2... Does it increase the chance got Android on our HD2?

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Good luck and all my best !

Zepiii

Tigrouzen

Oct 9, 2007
MARSEILLE
Ha finally found again this topic.

I am wishing you all my best to port Android to the HD2 because with all the **** around WinMo 7 comptability, you look the only one able to save the HD2 in the future!

I really hope everyday that Android will be working on our HD2...

Btw, the HTC Desire is going to be out soon, and it has the same specification than the HD2... Does it increase the chance got Android on our HD2?

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Good luck and all my best !

Zepiii

All about Gizmondo.com or Gizmondo.fr its bull**** !!
This web site works for Apple its sure !!

Edit : mistake but im sure about Gizmondo :D

simranjits

Apr 11, 2009
Too bad we're stuck with low level developers who can't get it done. We need real developers who actually know what they are doing.

pack21

Dec 14, 2009
Too bad we're stuck with low level developers who can't get it done. We need real developers who actually know what they are doing.

Like Android would be wounderfull to have WebOS runing on HD2...a beautifull simbiose with outlook and Itunes integrations.....and push notifications...and light apps for everythink.

I dreaming with that.:D

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer

Why don't *YOU* take the lead then if you're so capable of passing judgement on other people; as to do that you must have some amazing development skills in getting an operating system running on unknown poorly documented hardware.

Obvioiusly everyone will bow down to your uberleet level of skill when *YOU* present all of the fine work *YOU* have done!

otherwise...

stop being so bloody rude!

Dcordes knows a fair bit more than most people about linux hacking for ppc devices, I suggest you give him the respect he and others deserve!

if this post upsets you think about what you wrote...

zabique

Jan 12, 2009
milton keynes
I'm hopeing that it will not sound total idiot, but:

why it's not possible to use NexusOne rom dump, and using it for HD2. Hardware is nearly same except buttons and screen size.

thanks

brooon

May 11, 2009
I'm hopeing that it will not sound total idiot, but:

why it's not possible to use NexusOne rom dump, and using it for HD2. Hardware is nearly same except buttons and screen size.

thanks

Ooooh dear...i´m still wondering why people are that damn lazy these days, not reading just one line in threads that are having 709 posts at this moment...don´t you people think that there should be a 100 percent-likelihood (in a developers-forum!) that another big brain spits out such ideas? exactly 1.000 other so called "newbies" have mentioned this point in the past few weeks...sometimes in every third post, again and again, without having read what other people have posted one line above. This is not about beeing a newbie or not, this is just about a little respect to the developers, serving nice presents to all of us without getting paid for it. what you guys can do for them? well, the first step should be not to spam around questions that already have been answered 1000 times before...instead go and read through the replies and at the end, when you are sure that there is no answer yet (after using the search function too, of course)...THAN ask your question or type in your comments and I think everbody will thank you for your participation in this community.

Sorry zabique, of course this is not against you ;) ...but after reading exactly the same line for the 20st time/last two weeks there was no inhibition of my fingers typing these lines possible ;)

Last edited:

jamieeeee

Dec 11, 2008
i have a lot of respect for those developers, i die a bit inside every time a noob asks how it is going and **** like that.. anyway its nice they are working on it and i hope they succeed! dual boot windows / android would be really cool to have! i will surely donate if its working.. but to who should i donate? maybe its an idea to make a sort of bounty (lets say i will give $20 for getting android on hd2) and someone else also $20. thats 40 in total. if that 40 is shared and given to the developers that have worked on that project it would be a stimulation for them i guess.. only i dont know what developers are working intensively..

anyway my reward will be $20

more of you are going to join?

maybe its an idea to add the totall's of the $$ and the name who gives what in the first post?

simranjits

Apr 11, 2009
Why don't *YOU* take the lead then if you're so capable of passing judgement on other people; as to do that you must have some amazing development skills in getting an operating system running on unknown poorly documented hardware.

Obvioiusly everyone will bow down to your uberleet level of skill when *YOU* present all of the fine work *YOU* have done!

otherwise...

stop being so bloody rude!

Dcordes knows a fair bit more than most people about linux hacking for ppc devices, I suggest you give him the respect he and others deserve!

if this post upsets you think about what you wrote...

If i wanted to do it myself , would i be bothering myself with these amateurs. At least i know i can't do it, but these guys don't know when to stop. Like i said we need real developers. All they are doing is guesswork and their debuging techniques are crude.

Tigrouzen

Oct 9, 2007
MARSEILLE
If i wanted to do it myself , would i be bothering myself with these amateurs. At least i know i can't do it, but these guys don't know when to stop. Like i said we need real developers. All they are doing is guesswork and their debuging techniques are crude.

Of course with the guy who have your thinking psychologically, we have the desire to continue working.

Maybe now you know guys who are better and who are willing to take the trouble to come and work for free for fun, to the delight of members!

If this is not the case, then dont write!

I think you're not an adult, easy to dictate but to do the works is another thing.

Last edited:

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer

all you know is nothing...

so please shut up and let people who do know what they are talking about get on with it..

bbezja1

Apr 4, 2008
Ptuj
all you know is nothing...

so please shut up and let people who do know what they are talking about get on with it..

actually he is quite right. if you have any idea what developers are talking about then you can see that all they do is guess in trial and error style. but aparently you dont have any idea

tonyjansen

Nov 26, 2009
From the viewpoint of a software architect, it's indeed hard to watch the other thread without crinching every once in a while. On the other hand, the plan of attack there seems to be part of a culture that has done stuff like this quite succesfully with other challenges.
So i won't be surprised if we eventually get a nice port of android running on the HD2.

Mind you, i do believe that an undertaking like this would need the infrastructure, tools and mindset like the main android project has in place at the moment. But that would require a "DEVs and Testers only" door policy.

Simply put, the other thread here lets the lesser gods put their 2 cents in too. I'm cool with that.

BTW, i do not approve of any condescending remarks about the the other thread, nor do i wish to make my own through this mail.