[REQUEST] My Devices additions

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
First of all I'd like to say thanks for adding the option to list our devices on our profile without having to use our signatures.

Now, onto the request. While adding my devices, I tested it to see if I could add a device which doesn't have a forum on XDA. (Even though I don't have the device, I tried to add the Micromax Canvas HD and it wouldn't add it purely because there's no for it here for it.) So, would it be possible to add devices which also don't have a forum on here?

I guess @svetius would be the best person to ask :)

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
First of all I'd like to say thanks for adding the option to list our devices on our profile without having to use our signatures.

Now, onto the request. While adding my devices, I tested it to see if I could add a device which doesn't have a forum on XDA. (Even though I don't have the device, I tried to add the Micromax Canvas HD and it wouldn't add it purely because there's no for it here for it.) So, would it be possible to add devices which also don't have a forum on here?

We're still deciding if want to do this. If we allow a wildcard, people can put whatever they want in there, even profanity, etc. So...file under "maybe". :victory:

Reactions: R.Suave

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
We're still deciding if want to do this. If we allow a wildcard, people can put whatever they want in there, even profanity, etc. So...file under "maybe". :victory:
I don't believe that would really be a big problem though because even though there's an obvious chance it could happen, the same could be said for Location but, from what I've seen, the most people use it for is Likes and Dislikes.

A way around it could be a database of all devices (both on and off XDA) and only allow what's on that list. Basically an extension of the current system. I realise it would be a lot if work to keep such a list updated though as lots of devices are churned out by lesser known manufacturers.

Reactions: Donz7733
I hate to be a bother @svetius...

I had seen a recent question from another member regarding this topic and saw this thread after performing a quick search.

Though this thread is a bit older, I was just curious as to any decisions made regarding this (or maybe @MikeChannon might have some information regarding this as well).

Thank you very much! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

Last edited:

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

I had seen a recent question from another member regarding this topic and saw this thread after performing a quick search.

Though this thread is a bit older, I was just curious as to any decisions made regarding this (or maybe @MikeChannon might have some information regarding this as well).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

Haha, yes, I think we can say 5/6 years later it was decided not to add the ability to add a device that's not got a set of forums officially listed here. Aside from it being a way to state what devices you have it was also meant as a way to link other users to our other internal forums. The ability for folk (and there are always some) to abuse a system that allows wildcards was and is a concern too.

Mike

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Haha, yes, I think we can say 5/6 years later it was decided not to add the ability to add a device that's not got a set of forums officially listed here. Aside from it being a way to state what devices you have it was also meant as a way to link other users to our other internal forums. The ability for folk (and there are always some) to abuse a system that allows wildcards was and is a concern too.

Mike

Yes, this.

If we don't have a forum for your device, feel free to yell at us, especially @MikeChannon who loves to be yelled at :crying: :crying: just ask his wife :laugh:

Reactions: Ibuprophen
Yes, this. If we don't have a forum for your device, feel free to yell at us, especially @MikeChannon who loves to be yelled at :crying: :crying: just ask his wife :laugh:
I hear it's worse to be yelled at by a Scottish Woman than an American one...

Is this true @MikeChannon? :eek:

LMAO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

godkingofcanada

Nov 13, 2013
Necro!!! Lol, I work with a lot of sbcs and as such can't add devices... Aka pine phone, Khadas vim3l, Asus tinkerboard, odroid c2, n2, xu4, rockpro64, pinea64.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike
    Necro!!! Lol, I work with a lot of sbcs and as such can't add devices... Aka pine phone, Khadas vim3l, Asus tinkerboard, odroid c2, n2, xu4, rockpro64, pinea64.
    Your only option is request that a forum section be created for each of those devices.
    New device request thread
    https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1660354
    +1 & Good catch. :good: