[Q] Cyanogen Mod 7 wont keep apps

Search This thread

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
Okay i have cyanogen mod 7 on my phone with a backup of my phone. i rooted with unrevoked, i have installed TB and i backed up all apps and data, i also have busy box. I moved TB to my sd card. and that is all i have moved over to the sd card.

I changed over to cyanogen mod 7 and it saves nothing, no contacts, no apps, when i install TB it always force closes before even starting. I get upset because i cannot use any of hte apps i have, and i cannot find the market on it to download it.

i tried to move busy box over to my sd card and cannot.. any help is great help! thanks!

ctinsley

Nov 4, 2008
Happy Valley
Did you wipe data and cache when you flashed? It is normal that your phone will reset like this. Use Tom manager and run the fix permissions script then reboot to recovery ans wipe the dalvik cache and reboot from recovery. It will take a while to boot this time but once up again most fc. Issues should be resolved. I suggest you also make sure you downloaded CM's google apps and choose what google applications you want if you haven't done so. Once you setup your google account any apps purchased from market should install. Then anything that didn't restore use TB and install any other apps. I suggest only installing the apps and not the data since you transfered from a sense rom to cm. It could cause more fc.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Reactions: butler_007

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
When I do Rom Manager i click "Install Rom from SD Card" and then go to the rom download of CM7 and install it.. i checked both Backup Existing ROM and WIpe Data and Cache. The first time i did this i also downloaded google apps. which until you said that, i totally forgot i had done that (my bad).

How do i install google apps after I update to cm7? do i have to go into file explorer?

(sorry for the weird questions i have searched forever and cant find anything, but i probably missed this)

thank you for the super quick reply

ctinsley

Nov 4, 2008
Happy Valley
Its a one time thing that starts after you set up your google account. It asks what apps to install like voice maps earth etc. To reinstall g apps you can use rom manager and choose install from SD choose the clockworkmod folder then download then goo-inside.me you should have the google apps zip there.
Upon reboot you should be prompted for what apps you want.

If you still have issues I suggesst you use rom manager and choose download rom then cm thencm7 rc2 make sure to do g apps and then just do the delete data and cache just remember choosing that wipes everything but to me it sounds like nothing is reinstalled so its not really an issue right now.

Good luck I'm out for the rest of the night. Hopefully you wont have anymore issues but otherwise I'm sure someone else will help you out.

Last edited:

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
Okay, i am able to boot into cm7 RC 1 which i have downloaded.. should i downlaod rc2?

After that I go to ROM manager and i do the fix, then install google apps. i have done with both none checked and the data and wipe checked.

without it went into a bootload, and would pop up a green android guy and it says click the android guy, i go to click it and it bootloads again.

with it, i actually got it to start up, when i went to unlock it, it went into the bootload again, and the green android guy comes up and says click, when i try, it bootloads again.

What am i doing wrong?

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
I attempted to install RC2, it sat at the loading screen for minutes with nothing happening.

So i went back to RC1, got it to install, fixed permissions, installed gapps, this gave me the market app, and a few others (no gmail) but when i started it up, the google apps never actaully ran, and none of those apps work. Also, i cannot get things like handcent or most of my other apps to work, but some apps do work.

I am pretty puzzled.

thanks!

ctinsley

Nov 4, 2008
Happy Valley
Okay, so have you went to settings>accounts>add>google? And logged in with your GMail yet? If so you can goto market and search for Gmail and it should download. The "Google apps" did run if you got the Green Android Guy. All it is a script to kick off the download from the Market, so they won't install till you get your Google Account logged in.

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
Im sorry if i was unclear,

Yes, at one time when i would install gapps the green guy would pop up, but would restart every 2-3 seconds. I saw a post from a guy who had this happen, and he said to update to the newest gapps. So i upgraded to rc2, and i could not even get rc2 to boot, i waited well over 20 minutes on the boot screen, and it never once actaully went into a bootload where it kept restarting.

After that i went back to RC1, and installed the newest gapps. the problem that persisted was that after i installed gapps, the green guy never came up, but i noticed a few things were installed like market.

I tried to load market and it would not work (even after permissions fix) but i got TB running and added apps on there to see if they would work. I could not get apps such as Handcent or most other apps would not work, and i could never actually log into gmail even though i had tried.

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Okay i have cyanogen mod 7 on my phone with a backup of my phone. i rooted with unrevoked, i have installed TB and i backed up all apps and data, i also have busy box. I moved TB to my sd card. and that is all i have moved over to the sd card.

I changed over to cyanogen mod 7 and it saves nothing, no contacts, no apps, when i install TB it always force closes before even starting. I get upset because i cannot use any of hte apps i have, and i cannot find the market on it to download it.

i tried to move busy box over to my sd card and cannot.. any help is great help! thanks!

a couple issues need to be addressed here. One you can't use HTC (Sense) apps with Cynaogen. In most instances Cyanogen has replaced them with an app that is similar and works for CM7. Otherwise you have to find something in the Market that you like to replace it.

The second issue is when you do a full wipe of the phone such as is required when installing CM7 all user data and apps are lost. What you end up with is basically a new phone as if it came out of the box for the first time. In most instances you will need to activate it and then put in your google account information. If you had google backup your apps they will download automatically once the phone is setup, which can be a pain and takes forever.

Also I personally don't use ROM Manager to install my ROMs, I do it through the recovery console. I do download the ROM (and gapps) with ROM Manager but cancel the install once its downloaded. I then move the ROM and gapps files from the clockwork folder on the sdcard out into the parent directory of the sdcard and install them from there.

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
I know i cant use the htc stuff, and i have figured out the contacts problems.

What i cannot get is first google apps to work, such as when i start up it either bootloads or the one time i did it and it just automatically added market and stuff.

I have never had to call vzw and redo anything.. so idk if i am just doing it wrong or what.

butler_007

Mar 16, 2011
okay, in order to do this correctly, in the recovery mode do i do the wipe/factory restore to it to make it work correctly?

ctinsley

Nov 4, 2008
Happy Valley
Lol, we all have been noobs before, so don't worry too much if your still having trouble. So what are we trying to accomplish now? Factory reset with cm7 rc1 installed so you can start over?

It seems to me that you've been successful in getting cm7 installed just not up and running the way you want it. That and the fact that you lost all apps in the process right?

Last edited:

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
Some people have reported problems with ROM Manager not wiping the phone properly and thus not getting CM7 to run properly. I had this problem too. So I just installed it through recovery. Select the option "wipe data/factory reset" and that will wipe all the folders on your phone that need to be wiped. Then select "install zip from sdcard" and the option to "choose zip from sdcard" which will allow you to scroll down to the CM7 zip file stored on the sdcard (must be in root directory not clockwork folder). After flashing the ROM before rebooting also flash gapps doing the same install zip method then reboot. If this doesn't work something else is wrong.

Once you have a working copy of CM7 installed you don't need to wipe the phone to install newer versions of CM7. You can install right over the old one this way you lose no data. Some people recommend doing a dalvik cache wipe before updating but I don't and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you wipe data and cache when you flashed? It is normal that your phone will reset like this. Use Tom manager and run the fix permissions script then reboot to recovery ans wipe the dalvik cache and reboot from recovery. It will take a while to boot this time but once up again most fc. Issues should be resolved. I suggest you also make sure you downloaded CM's google apps and choose what google applications you want if you haven't done so. Once you setup your google account any apps purchased from market should install. Then anything that didn't restore use TB and install any other apps. I suggest only installing the apps and not the data since you transfered from a sense rom to cm. It could cause more fc.