Stuck at Motorola logo and RSD mode 3

Search This thread

jai134

Sep 7, 2009
Stockholm
I'm new to Xoom but gave unlocking and rooting a go. That was todays mistake! I flashed a 3g version of boot.img. Then I tried to flash back to stock img-file. Found out that it also was a 3g img-file. Flashed once more. Now it was a wifi-only boot.img. Now I'm stuck at the Motorola Dual Core logo with Starting RSD mode 3 written in top left corner. I can't shut this thing off or anything else but rebooting back to same screen. I really don't know what to do. I bought it yesterday from a man that bought it in the US a week ago so I can't go to the shop and I don't think there are any shop that can flash it for me because it's not available here in Sweden yet. Please help. I have RSD Lite installed and the correct drivers for the Xoom installed. I'm used to ADB but it can't find the device and fastboot doesn't see it either.
Edit. I can't go into fastboot mode.

Last edited:

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Don't worry you are in good company, even BRD had the same problem. Here's how he fixed it:
While I was in "RSD Mode 3" I did

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Even though there was no response from the device, I pressed Vol Down + power until the screen went black. I then quickly pressed and held Vol Up + power. The device then went into the bootloader, received the queued command from fastboot, and flashed the boot.img. Finally, I did

Code:
fastboot reboot

and was back in the game.

Guys, I think the moral of the story is to slow down and be careful with fastboot. You can bet i'll be a little more careful

Edit: Same advice as linked above by milehighclubAV8R

Reactions: RampageDeluxe

jai134

Sep 7, 2009
Stockholm
That doesn't do it. Propably it's some stupid misstake from me but I cannot do this because of " I pressed Vol Down + power until the screen went black". It wont get black. When I press Power + Vol down nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong. I have tried holding the buttons for about 30 seconds and nothing happens.

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Did you just press the buttons or did you also enter the fastboot code as suggested?

jai134

Sep 7, 2009
Stockholm
First cmd command then pressing the buttons. When I reboot using power + vol up it starts into RSD mode 3. When rebooting it with power + vol up then vol down when black it starts into the logo screen without any text in the upper left corner. Can't even shut it down with long press on power button
Can I pull the battery? On my Galaxy S that's the way out if I get in a boot loop or need to redo a failed flash.

krat0s123

Jun 25, 2010
Press power+volume up. Hold it til it restarts. Let go of both buttons once you see the motorola logo then just press volume down once, and you should be then able to cycle through 3 different modes. Press volume down to cycle to different modes, volume up to select. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

jai134

Sep 7, 2009
Stockholm
Sorry but I can't cycle through anything. There are two modes. Either "Starting RSD mode 3" or nothing and RSDLite can't communicate with it so I belive that my xoom is dead. Sending it in for repair tomorrow. I'm giving up.

dogma444

Apr 17, 2011
mine is stuck in the rsd mode 2. if i push and power and the up it will boot cycle if i the down button it says it is the the flashboot protocol mode, but i cannot get it to respond from the cmd window. my computer doesnt think its connected. i have the correct mot drivers. any help or is it bricked

stevenege

Nov 18, 2009
Fishers, IN
Some people have been getting lucky with ADB commands however others have not been so luck. I myself am in the others category with one of my XOOMS.

Sucks, but some people have been able to get back. I however have not been so lucky with one of the WiFi XOOM's I have and did this purposely to see if maybe something can be done with it. Looks like we have to wait for all the files to be released......

Any day now Moto, util then people will continue to send these devices in and con the stores :). For this, I applaud them.

Last edited:

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
This might work or it might not.

I had a bricked xoom too. no matter what fastboot i entered it wouldnt recognise it. all it would say is "waiting for device"

This is what i did.

Turn the xoom off

Do not connect you USB cable yet

Fastboot reboot-bootloader

It should say "waiting for devices"

Now plug your xoom

Turn on the xoom.

When you see the Motorola logo press volume down till you see "fastboot protocol"

Press volume up.

It recognise my xoom that way

dogma444

Apr 17, 2011
couldnt turn mine off. let the battery run down. plugged it into power booted it up. no help. bricked

Scourge1024

Mar 27, 2011
Sherwood Park, AB
Some people have been getting lucky with ADB commands however others have not been so luck. I myself am in the others category with one of my XOOMS.

Sucks, but some people have been able to get back. I however have not been so lucky with one of the WiFi XOOM's I have and did this purposely to see if maybe something can be done with it. Looks like we have to wait for all the files to be released......

Any day now Moto, util then people will continue to send these devices in and con the stores :). For this, I applaud them.

I have to admit, I'm one of them. Sure is a nice way to tell Moto to hurry the F up. :) I can't say I felt great about it but I wasn't about to lose $600 either.

dogma444

Apr 17, 2011
shipped mine back to the factory today. not sure what they can do to it. is there such a thing as a force flash or will they have to replace the firmare chip to make it work? unstable combo tegra and honeycomb, aint messin with mine anymore.

cbmm

Jan 13, 2009
Fort Lauderdale
i just recovered mine from this. i flashed recovery with clockwork mod:
at the rsd 3 screen with the usb attached
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
held the volume down while pressing the power off on until fastboot started flashing the recovery
fastboot reboot
xoom started in clockwork mod, did a restart and it worked

****This happened after attempting to load recovery from rom manager without flashing new recovery image.***

Last edited:
Reactions: hwboy4

chaz03

Feb 28, 2010
columbus
Did you happen to mention in your explanation about what went wrong with your xoom anything about unlocking or relocking?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't worry you are in good company, even BRD had the same problem. Here's how he fixed it:
    While I was in "RSD Mode 3" I did

Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

Even though there was no response from the device, I pressed Vol Down + power until the screen went black. I then quickly pressed and held Vol Up + power. The device then went into the bootloader, received the queued command from fastboot, and flashed the boot.img. Finally, I did

Code:
    fastboot reboot

and was back in the game.

Guys, I think the moral of the story is to slow down and be careful with fastboot. You can bet i'll be a little more careful

Edit: Same advice as linked above by milehighclubAV8R
    i just recovered mine from this. i flashed recovery with clockwork mod:
    at the rsd 3 screen with the usb attached
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    held the volume down while pressing the power off on until fastboot started flashing the recovery
    fastboot reboot
    xoom started in clockwork mod, did a restart and it worked

****This happened after attempting to load recovery from rom manager without flashing new recovery image.***