Rom OP Format...DEVS READ PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
Below is a format that should be used as an example of how a rom thread should look. It doesnt have to be exact. I suggest that you stay creative and use all the features in the advanced panel when creating a thread.

1. Name of rom, team, etc
2. Introduction
3. Changelog in code or php tags
4. What's included in the rom in the (apps, tweaks, scripts, addons, mods) in code of php tags
5. What works/what doesn't work in code or php tags
6. Credits (Users name-with link to (profile/github/or thread u got tweak from embedded), and what they did to help you)
7. Screenshots (2-10 different screenshots of different aspects of rom)
8. Kernel with either link to thread you got it from or github (if stock sense or cm please state that and that is enough)
9. Instructions on how to install the rom (also if special instruction for a2sd or beats audio...etc)
10. Do's and Don'ts of the rom
11. Questions & Answers section (I find this helpful to write out asked questions with solutions at the bottom of the op. I find that it cuts down on the question being asked a million times)
12. Finally the dl link
13. Additional add-ons (this can go into first post or reserved posts after)

I find the embedded link looks and feels better throughout the op if possible.
All sections should have a header with enlarged text and spaced out so people can read it easily.

I am hoping that this helps to make this section a little cleaner and easier. enjoy

The way I look at this is that it takes US weeks/days/hours to make these roms....we can take the time out to make sure that the op looks professional and clean

Also Make sure the op is fully ready before posting. I know we all get excited to release a rom but stating that half the stuff will be updated as time permits just shows that you are lazy and in a hurry which doesnt look good cause if thats the case then how does your rom run....

No posting a a rom thread without a DL link either

Last edited:

bennyboy78

Nov 9, 2011
How about how stable it is like in the old days?

I remember last year everyone would label them as beta, RC, final etc.

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008

I think what Papa Smurf outlined in the OP is more then enough and it covers the basics while keeping the majority of the threads uniformed or at least try to :)

I also don't think we should start being over critical here and require individuals that start threads in the development section to add labels like Alpha, Beta, MC, RC or whatever.

I understand that having labels would make things a whole lot easier for the user BUT it also doesn't encourage the user to read about what he or she flashes onto their phone.

I don't know how many times I've seen a user complain and harass developers over something that was clearly their (the user) fault because they didn't read the OP. They saw fancy screenshots and saw the download link and either ended up bricking their phone or causing their phone to turn into a hot pocket...lol

Not trying to tell people how to do their job BUT I think we should encourage users to read/search more not shortcut things for users.

Reactions: MBQ_ and CRIME INC.

MBQ_

Sep 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
MBQonXDA.com
I think what Papa Smurf outlined in the OP is more then enough and it covers the basics while keeping the majority of the threads uniformed or at least try to :)

I also don't think we should start being over critical here and require individuals that start threads in the development section to add labels like Alpha, Beta, MC, RC or whatever.

I understand that having labels would make things a whole lot easier for the user BUT it also doesn't encourage the user to read about what he or she flashes onto their phone.

I don't know how many times I've seen a user complain and harass developers over something that was clearly their (the user) fault because they didn't read the OP. They saw fancy screenshots and saw the download link and either ended up bricking their phone or causing their phone to turn into a hot pocket...lol

Not trying to tell people how to do their job BUT I think we should encourage users to read/search more not shortcut things for users.

Well said, couldn't agree any more.

v5HMeca

Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles
As long as these are only guidelines and not enforceable rules, I agree with them. But I wouldn't agree with deleting/locking threads that fail to follow these guidelines; that would send the wrong message to developers.

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
As long as these are only guidelines and not enforceable rules, I agree with them. But I wouldn't agree with deleting/locking threads that fail to follow these guidelines; that would send the wrong message to developers.

Rom threads will never be locked or deleted for not following these guidelines. I would hope devs would embrace them and if a fellow dev isn't then I would hope someone would point them here and try to help them. Most rom devs want to have a nice looking op. But some of them are new and don't know better or are very young and don't know better. This just helps to give structure that they can refer to and say oh yeah maybe I should have that or this.

XDA Moderator

Reactions: v5HMeca and Mazda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Below is a format that should be used as an example of how a rom thread should look. It doesnt have to be exact. I suggest that you stay creative and use all the features in the advanced panel when creating a thread.

1. Name of rom, team, etc
    2. Introduction
    3. Changelog in code or php tags
    4. What's included in the rom in the (apps, tweaks, scripts, addons, mods) in code of php tags
    5. What works/what doesn't work in code or php tags
    6. Credits (Users name-with link to (profile/github/or thread u got tweak from embedded), and what they did to help you)
    7. Screenshots (2-10 different screenshots of different aspects of rom)
    8. Kernel with either link to thread you got it from or github (if stock sense or cm please state that and that is enough)
    9. Instructions on how to install the rom (also if special instruction for a2sd or beats audio...etc)
    10. Do's and Don'ts of the rom
    11. Questions & Answers section (I find this helpful to write out asked questions with solutions at the bottom of the op. I find that it cuts down on the question being asked a million times)
    12. Finally the dl link
    13. Additional add-ons (this can go into first post or reserved posts after)

I find the embedded link looks and feels better throughout the op if possible.
    All sections should have a header with enlarged text and spaced out so people can read it easily.

I am hoping that this helps to make this section a little cleaner and easier. enjoy

The way I look at this is that it takes US weeks/days/hours to make these roms....we can take the time out to make sure that the op looks professional and clean

Also Make sure the op is fully ready before posting. I know we all get excited to release a rom but stating that half the stuff will be updated as time permits just shows that you are lazy and in a hurry which doesnt look good cause if thats the case then how does your rom run....

No posting a a rom thread without a DL link either

Rom threads will never be locked or deleted for not following these guidelines. I would hope devs would embrace them and if a fellow dev isn't then I would hope someone would point them here and try to help them. Most rom devs want to have a nice looking op. But some of them are new and don't know better or are very young and don't know better. This just helps to give structure that they can refer to and say oh yeah maybe I should have that or this.

XDA Moderator
    i left this open for feedback