Stuck looking for all the advice I can get

Search This thread

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
Ok, started a new post so that I can put everything in one place. Dev's please feel free to delete other one.

I have one of the first gs4's, it was rooted with TWRP installed. I was running Liquidsmooth rom when I founf the GPS to not be functional.
I trying flashing some different modems, none of them fixed that. (Mk2, Nb1)

Tried multiple different ROMS, also did not fix the problem. Ended up CM 11, liked the rom so I left it on. Everything working fine.

This morning I rebooted the phone and it hung on the SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 screen. Won't go past it. Booted into recovery. Tried to restore a backup, but after it too hung at SGS4 screen. Went back in, reflashed, wiped, still stuck.
Tried flashing the uvamdl.tar in odin, and that failed every time saying secure check fail SB12 on the phone.

Went back to playing with TWRP, because I am stuck. Found that if If I do a full wipe, including data (where you have to type yes), then flash CM11 I can get it to boot into the phone, but only once. If I reboot, it hangs again, and I have to go in, wipe, and start all over.

Here is what is weird, it only works with CM11, not any other ROM.
Obviously I can't format every time I want to reboot the phone, so I am looking for a way to get this back to normal.

attached current specs with screenshot
I am using a win 8.1 laptop right now, but when I get home I would have access to a windows 7 machine.

I am currently traveling and desperately need the phone, so any help you could offer would be most appreciated.

lauterm

Apr 9, 2011
There was a bug a while back where CM11 would hang sometimes on reboots, but you could always just reboot a couple more times and get it to boot. Why are you having to reboot? Just get CM on there, get it booted, and leave it be until you get back. You could try a newer nightly, but I'm not sure it would fix your problem.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Your android version 4.4.2. It appears you are leaving some information out of your post. If you have an AT&T phone you must be using Safestrap? MF3, MK2, etc.. can only use Safestrap as a recovery. I am also assuming your baseband...NB1 is due to the modem flashing, but that really won't make a difference because CMxx will not run on Safestrap. Your best option now is to Odin back to your original firmware version, re-install Safestrap, and stick with the compatible TW ROMs listed in the safestrap thread. If you don't understand what I am saying you will need to search and read about it all. You really should have known all of this before attempting to do anything to your phone. Good luck.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
im actually veery very suprised u got a cw rom to work period on a nb1 device...[/url]

Your android version 4.4.2. It appears you are leaving some information out of your post. If you have an AT&T phone you must be using Safestrap? MF3, MK2, etc.. can only use Safestrap as a recovery. I am also assuming your baseband...NB1 is due to the modem flashing, but that really won't make a difference because CMxx will not run on Safestrap. Your best option now is to Odin back to your original firmware version, re-install Safestrap, and stick with the compatible TW ROMs listed in the safestrap thread. If you don't understand what I am saying you will need to search and read about it all. You really should have known all of this before attempting to do anything to your phone. Good luck.

I would venture that he still has MDB or MDL bootloader as to HOW and WHY he can run CM11.

To OP I also would suggest flashing the STOCK firmware that MATCHES what bootloader you have and start fresh. Just MAKE SURE to reinstall TWRP immediately, then flash CM11 or whatever ROM you want. This IS ASSUMING you still have the MDB or MDL bootloaders.

To check/verify which bootloader you have installed.
1. Download Terminal Emulator
2. Open Terminal Emulator app and hit OKAY to give it Root Rights.
3. Close Terminal Emulator
4. Re-Open Terminal Emulator and type "su" Enter (WITHOUT THE QUOTATION MARKS)
5. Type "getprop to.bootloader" (WITHOUT the quotation marks).
6. See the screenshot where mine shows I337---MDB as that is where your phone will show which bootloader you have installed.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

Attachments

• 1398486306715.jpg
    1398486306715.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 33

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
I would venture that he still has MDB or MDL bootloader as to HOW and WHY he can run CM11.

To OP I also would suggest flashing the STOCK firmware that MATCHES what bootloader you have and start fresh. Just MAKE SURE to reinstall TWRP immediately, then flash CM11 or whatever ROM you want. This IS ASSUMING you still have the MDB or MDL bootloaders.

To check/verify which bootloader you have installed.
1. Download Terminal Emulator
2. Open Terminal Emulator app and hit OKAY to give it Root Rights.
3. Close Terminal Emulator
4. Re-Open Terminal Emulator and type "su" Enter (WITHOUT THE QUOTATION MARKS)
5. Type "getprop to.bootloader" (WITHOUT the quotation marks).
6. See the screenshot where mine shows I337---MDB as that is where your phone will show which bootloader you have installed.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

thanks to all, i am on mdb bootloader, sorry, thought i put that in the text, i am not safe strap.
when i try to odin the original file image i get the error message, any ideas why i cannot odin?

G

GuestX0019

Don't select "YES" in TWRP before rebooting--:good:

If you can't solve anything reformat your cards--backup first

Doesn't OP have to be on MDL "not MDB" to flash some roms?

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
thanks to all, i am on mdb bootloader, sorry, thought i put that in the text, i am not safe strap.
when i try to odin the original file image i get the error message, any ideas why i cannot odin?

Did you try redownloading it? Otherwise make sure your phone cable is good and try different USB ports, maybe a different version of ODIN if you want

Sent from my SGH-I337 running Blackbox 3.0

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Don't select "YES" in TWRP before rebooting--:good:

If you can't solve anything reformat your cards--backup first

Doesn't OP have to be on MDL "not MDB" to flash some roms?

I am not positive as I haven't flashed any aosp based Roms, I am still on MDB bootloaders as well. So far never needed to flash the MDL bootloaders though for any Roms I have run. It is possible that CM needs the MDL bootloader though.

G

GuestX0019

I am not positive as I haven't flashed any aosp based Roms, I am still on MDB bootloaders as well. So far never needed to flash the MDL bootloaders though for any Roms I have run. It is possible that CM needs the MDL bootloader though.

Yeah Rock, I forget--too many roms that I flash. I do remember a dev saying that you must be on mdl for something. But, it was way back early on. I did a lot of CM when I started flashing years ago. But, started with mostly TW when I got the s4. So, seems it would have been TW. My "old" brain don't remember as good as it use too--;) Oh well, hope the OP gets it sorted--:)

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
i wanted to thank everyone. after multiple attempts, downloads, etc, I finally got odin to work. so I flashed an original image, rooted, installed flash and then cm11, and everything (including GPS!) seems to be working. I appreciate all of the help and advice that was given.

G

GuestX0019

i wanted to thank everyone. after multiple attempts, downloads, etc, I finally got odin to work. so I flashed an original image, rooted, installed flash and then cm11, and everything (including GPS!) seems to be working. I appreciate all of the help and advice that was given.

Glad you got it :)

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk