Note on T-Mobile after flashing T-Mobile radio still not 4G speeds

Search This thread

eastbayarb

Apr 14, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I have an unlocked Note that has Android 2.3.6 on it. I installed the Clockwork mod on it, and I flashed Tmo_SGH-T989_KID_radio_ATTNOTE (I have also tried 3 other modem files) to my Note. After the reboot, I see the 4G icon, but even though I am in a 4G area (San Francisco area of California), Speedtest only calculates that I get around 700kbps.

I know you can “force” your phone to use T-Mobile’s 4G network (if you get bad T-Mobile signals like me) by switching to HSPA Only mode in Settings->Wireless and network->Mobile networks->Network mode, but even after doing that, I still do not get 4G speeds.

Any ideas?

P.S. - I have already tried the method here (but no luck):
http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1547114.html

P.S.S - I have also tried the Saurom (SAUROM_XLA2_RCVII) with T-Mobile Blaze modem (Tmo_BlazeModem_0331122), and no luck either.

TJBunch1228

Feb 6, 2010
My guess is that's what you can expect. Most people's speed is much less than what they had on TMobile phones. Luckily for me, I still get between 1 and 5 mbps on my note. Even though my galaxy s 2 got 10-20mbps, 1-5 is still fully usable. Your best bet is to hope that when the Note drops for tmo next month we get some software from it that makes our att notes a lot faster on tmo's network.

Sorry to bear bad news, but everything I would have recommended to you you have already done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Last edited:

eastbayarb

Apr 14, 2011
There have been people who have this same phone say they get T-mo 4g speeds. My LG Thrill (an ATT phone that was never released for Tmo) I personally hacked for Tmo and I get 4g speeds...why would Tmo modem hacks be released for the Note if you cant get 4g speeds?

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
My 4g is great between 8 and 10 mbps download I use the ics roms with ics modems and I use the tin foil trick as well as don't force 4g my data was so unstable when I forced it try ics/with ice T-Mobile modems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
Try that setup hope this helps did wonders for me I was on the same boat as u. After flashing rom and radio press *#2263# and select automatic band wcdma don't force 1700 that made my data very unstable

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
Try that setup hope this helps did wonders for me I was on the same boat as u. After flashing rom and radio press *#2263# and select automatic band wcdma don't force 1700 that made my data very unstable

This. Also *#301279# and select 2 change then select 6 HSDPA/HSUPA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: bbobarino

eastbayarb

Apr 14, 2011

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=382

Modem

The link to the modem doesn't work.

when you said,

" After flashing rom and radio press *#2263# and select automatic band wcdma don't force 1700 that made my data very unstable"

did you mean option [6] WCDMA ALL ?

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
I just meant to pick automatic not wcmda all I'll repost the modem link

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
Won't work its in the development section T-Mobile pics modems date 5/30 is the date not the 5/28 one

New modem link

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
So since it's a hardware issue, would it work if I took the antenna from the t989 or the upcoming Tmobile Note and put it in my Note?

I have a T989 and swapped the main antenna lead to use the T989 antenna on the Note, it was hard to test but I didnt see much improvement. The antennas are physically different between the two units.

If I am correct, the real fix is to purchase the correct antenna. Since detuning the stock antenna with foil improves data throughput, I feel that this is the best solution.

I just switched to At&t last week as I needed international data for this month while I'm in Europe and so far my At&t speeds are half that of T-Mobile with the foil. I'll tweak when I get home, as I just flashed the CM9 rom so I have something to play with while I'm away.

Reactions: bbobarino

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
I have a T989 and swapped the main antenna lead to use the T989 antenna on the Note, it was hard to test but I didnt see much improvement. The antennas are physically different between the two units.

If I am correct, the real fix is to purchase the correct antenna. Since detuning the stock antenna with foil improves data throughput, I feel that this is the best solution.

I just switched to At&t last week as I needed international data for this month while I'm in Europe and so far my At&t speeds are half that of T-Mobile with the foil. I'll tweak when I get home, as I just flashed the CM9 rom so I have something to play with while I'm away.

So you think that a Tmobile Note antenna would be the only true fix?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This. Also *#301279# and select 2 change then select 6 HSDPA/HSUPA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    What would happen if I force hspa+ in that menu
    Is that the same as forcing 1700 band in the *#2263#?

Nothing really. I just get more stable data connection/speed with Release 6.
    So since it's a hardware issue, would it work if I took the antenna from the t989 or the upcoming Tmobile Note and put it in my Note?