[ROOT] Move obb folder to external SD (mount -o bind folder)

Search This thread

needo2

May 26, 2013
Using on CM11, should work for any android build above 4.#.#

If you are having trouble mounting folders like I did like SuperMount, FolderMount didn't work for me
Even if they work, they require payment for most important features

1. Get BusyBox (Most custom ROMs already have it, like CM)
    I used busybox mount because regular mount didn't work
  2. Get the SManager app
  3. Move the contents of obb folder to somewhere in external SD, (Or you can move the entire obb folder and create an empty obb folder in sdcard/Android)
  4. Create new script from SManager (or any other text editor and save it with .sh extension) and type the mount command in it
    Lets say I moved the folders inside obb to storage/sdcard1/obbfolders, then command is:
    busybox mount -o bind /storage/sdcard1/obbfolders/ storage/sdcard0/Android/obb
  5. Save the file (in SManager you press back after typing and it asks if you want to save)
  6. Click on the file you created and check the Su and Boot boxes and Save
    Script should be good to go, click Run
    I use FX File Explorer to verify it (obbfolders should be shown on the main page)

Reason I created this thread, I searched this for a quite good amount of time and couldn't find anything
All "mount folder android", "mount bind android" searches either come up dead or show me an app that doesn't work for me

Last edited:

orion2323

May 4, 2012

If you are having trouble mounting folders like I did like SuperMount, FolderMount didn't work for me

2. Get the SManager app
  3. Move the contents of obb folder to somewhere in external SD, (Or you can move the entire obb folder and create an empty obb folder in sdcard/Android)
  4. Create new script from SManager (or any other text editor and save it with .sh extension) and type the mount command in it
    Lets say I moved the folders inside obb to storage/sdcard1/obbfolders, then command is:
  5. Save the file (in SManager you press back after typing and it asks if you want to save)
    I use FX File Explorer to verify it (obbfolders should be shown on the main page)

Reason I created this thread, I searched this for a quite good amount of time and couldn't find anything
All "mount folder android", "mount bind android" searches either come up dead or show me an app that doesn't work for me

Trying to follow your guide....can't get it to work ?

1: Moved the entire OBB folder to my SD
2: Installed busybox, started it, software says it is installed, there's a button to install again....don't know what else it does ? If I click install, well, it installs again
3: Created the new script, saved it, ran it. It seems OK
4: When I open FX File explorer, I don't know what I'm looking for, I don't see anything going on, no operations running ?

...I didn't want to delete the original OBB directory since I don't have confirmation of this working ?

Thanks for your help

daroefe

Jun 19, 2014
almost there...

Hi there

Had the same problem and found your thread after quite some surfing. Following your instructions, all seemed to work fine, just had to inject an "su" before the busybox mount command, then the whole external_sd (/storage/sdcard1/) was mounted to an existing (empty) folder on the internal sd (/storage/emulated/legacy/External_SD)... at least that's how it looks in SManager. When checking the target folder via file explorer, it still looks empty.

My setup:
- Samsung S4 mini on Cyanogenmod 10.2
- phone is not fully rooted, but root is granted to SManager and Busybox
- external sd card has permissions "d---rwxr-x" and is owned by "system" whereas the internal storage has permissions "drwxrwxr-x" and is owned by "root"

do I face a permission issue?
If yes, how to solve that (tried to change permissions of the External_SD folder recursively using chmod -R under root... but didn't suceed)
If not, any ideas...??? :confused:

Thanks for any hint!

cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. Get the SManager app