[App] Voice translator

Search This thread

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi everybody!

I've spent a day on the last long weekend and wrote a simple voice translator with speech-to-text and text-to-speech capabilities. Truly, I did it because I was confused a little of this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1352006 . OP treats his app too "top-secret and classified", and put a lot of limitations and restrictions for XDA members. But that kind of app is very simple; there is no know-how or some proprietary technologies involved: all apps (of this kind) are using undocumented Google's speech-to-text and text-to-speech APIs (but very well documented on internet forums! :D )
Also, AFAIK, most of 'em are using FlacBox project's code but without reference to project page and author's copyright!

I'd like to announce a completely free application (but ad-based); everybody are welcome to beta-test (marketplace version will be released soon after XDA slight beta test).
App has no limitations or restrictions but if you can't hear translation or recognition is not working for your language, it's not a my fault but just not supported by Google's APIs.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Your comments and feature requests are welcome here; don't forget to post a bug reports too ;) Also, grammar and lexical corrections are very welcome (English is not my native language).

Download and sideload Voice translator v 1.1.0 from attachment!

Update: version 1.1.0 added. Changes: slight UI and performance improvements

Update: VoiceTranslator updated to version 1.3: various bugs are fixed, it loads faster now; added nice new icons.

Marketplace link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/f09151c4-de81-44c5-b540-7830d5a5c192

P.S. If you really wanna thank me, see my signature :) Dropbox is a great service, and I'd like to expand my free box size up to 16Gb. It's also good for you and you may be sure: I've never had any spam or troubles with dropbox!

Attachments

• voicetran.jpg
    voicetran.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4,376
  • VoiceTranslator.xap
    365.7 KB · Views: 836
  • VoiceTranslator_1.1.0.xap
    375.1 KB · Views: 1,217
Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
but I've got some mistakes in Russian translation

It's not my bugs but Google's :D Try desktop Chrome with microphone - u'll get same results.

P.S. BTW, do you know: Google's translator already knows an "albansky" (you know what I mean - for other's it's a Russian specific internet slang) language :D Try to pronounce: "V Babrujsk, givotnoe" or "Afftar ggot" ;)

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
I understand now why you were up my butt about our App, we both basically have the same thing.

"No" and "yes" :) I wrote this app yesterday, just after finishing reading your topic. I was a little confused: you are drastically promoted your app on the one hand but refused of beta testers on the other hand... XDA isn't free beta-testers place or advertising area; it's a community of enthusiasts and homebrew developers. So I decide to give a chance to "unlucky" XDA members to get the same app for free, without limitations and restrictions. BTW, I can afford to spend 10 hours of my time for community needs (but my wife disagrees with me! :D )

Nevertheless, good job ;]

Thanks!

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
I have request to all who sideloaded app: could you please reinstall it from marketplace, and rate it? Thanks a lot!

Hmm. About 80 people (at least) are downloaded xap from the first post but only few rated app and left response on the marketplace (as I've asked) :(

Hey, XDA members, nobody is asking for your money or complicated movements, just provide your appreciation! It takes not longer than one minute...

P.S. I wasn't 100% sure what the "common" xda member is a lazy greedy "freeloader" even when I've collected money for Cotulla's test handset and only 12 people donated... But now I'm going to change my mind :(

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
Hmm. About 80 people (at least) are downloaded xap from the first post but only few rated app and left response on the marketplace (as I've asked) :(

Hey, XDA members, nobody is asking for your money or complicated movements, just provide your appreciation! It takes not longer than one minute...

P.S. I wasn't 100% sure what the "common" xda member is a lazy greedy "freeloader" even when I've collected money for Cotulla's test handset and only 12 people donated... But now I'm going to change my mind :(

Hey man, don't stress too much about it. I know what you feel, we had 100+ "private beta testers" and only 10 responded with feedback the others only asked for the app and never heard of since. Thats the way it works, and some maybe want to do some more experiments before they rate and give feedback. I have not downloaded it yet, just saw this thread and it looked interesting.

Ill check the app out later this week (as Im doing quite some stuff in multiple languages it might be usefull to me) and will rate it. Maybe you have to tune up the logos and the UI a bit (metro style bubbles??) so you will not get critized for that. As I also found out WP7 owners tend to not update their reviews so you will get bashed for inital bugs/ui glitches pretty much permanently.

But thanks for the hard work of the development. I am truely looking forward to what you can come up with in the future with this app.

Keep it up and don't worry too much about it, the people that are interested will show their support, the ones that don't well they don't.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Marvin, thanks for good words! Of course, my criticisms don't apply to you, as well as dozens of busy developers here on xda (also, we have a lot of students and they are very busy now). You know, I helped to lot of people here, and people are helped me too. Actually it's an only thing keeps me on XDA :)

I'm not an angry or stressed (it's a forum's smiles :) ); just want to blame people who treats xda like a "warez" or "free stuff" place. But it isn't (at least on my opinion).

Of course I'll continue my work on the funprojects ('cause it's my hobby and not about money) and will continue to help the good people here.

scoobysnacks

Jul 10, 2011
Not all of us are like that! I left both of you feedback/bug reports, sorry to hear that many don't though. I can imagine as a dev that would be frustrating..

Reactions: sensboston

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Not all of us are like that! I left both of you feedback/bug reports, sorry to hear that many don't though. I can imagine as a dev that would be frustrating..

Thanks, man, I know and appreciate that! Fortunately there are lot of a real industry enthusiasts and responsible people here (but of course not all have a time to read all topics).

But take a look to the first post, 161 people are already downloaded app v 1.1 from XDA (app has much-much more downloads now from the marketplace but I don't care about mp strangers). I believe there are no strangers or casual visitors here on XDA so most of 'em are XDA members and reading these forums regularly, and I've asked for very tiny thing (and never asked for 5 stars or good review only - no, I need a people's real opinion) but only few people (let's say, 6 at day one, most of 'em my XDA friends) are rated and left reviews... It's kinda disappointing...

Last edited:

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
Haha yes, also scoobysnacks it was not directed at you.

But back on topic. It seems to crash for me when I copied a translated text (dutch to spanish) than exit the app trough taskswitcher to go to whatsapp. When i come back with the taskswitcher it will show resume... (is it not mango ready?) and than crashes. Dont know if its consistent, but it just happened. Which is unfortunate since I like to use it in combination with whatsapp eg.

Also, could you implement onfocus --> textbox2.SelectAll so i can easily copy all text when clicking the textbox with the translation. As I will use that a lot.

But it works pretty good, the google api does a good job at recognising. And you built it well. The hold to speak is indeed very smart and works intuitive.

Reactions: sensboston

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody!

I've spent a day on the last long weekend and wrote a simple voice translator with speech-to-text and text-to-speech capabilities. Truly, I did it because I was confused a little of this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1352006 . OP treats his app too "top-secret and classified", and put a lot of limitations and restrictions for XDA members. But that kind of app is very simple; there is no know-how or some proprietary technologies involved: all apps (of this kind) are using undocumented Google's speech-to-text and text-to-speech APIs (but very well documented on internet forums! :D )
    Also, AFAIK, most of 'em are using FlacBox project's code but without reference to project page and author's copyright!

I'd like to announce a completely free application (but ad-based); everybody are welcome to beta-test (marketplace version will be released soon after XDA slight beta test).
    App has no limitations or restrictions but if you can't hear translation or recognition is not working for your language, it's not a my fault but just not supported by Google's APIs.

attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Your comments and feature requests are welcome here; don't forget to post a bug reports too ;) Also, grammar and lexical corrections are very welcome (English is not my native language).

Download and sideload Voice translator v 1.1.0 from attachment!

Update: version 1.1.0 added. Changes: slight UI and performance improvements

Update: VoiceTranslator updated to version 1.3: various bugs are fixed, it loads faster now; added nice new icons.

Marketplace link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/f09151c4-de81-44c5-b540-7830d5a5c192

P.S. If you really wanna thank me, see my signature :) Dropbox is a great service, and I'd like to expand my free box size up to 16Gb. It's also good for you and you may be sure: I've never had any spam or troubles with dropbox!
    Marvin, thanks for good words! Of course, my criticisms don't apply to you, as well as dozens of busy developers here on xda (also, we have a lot of students and they are very busy now). You know, I helped to lot of people here, and people are helped me too. Actually it's an only thing keeps me on XDA :)

I'm not an angry or stressed (it's a forum's smiles :) ); just want to blame people who treats xda like a "warez" or "free stuff" place. But it isn't (at least on my opinion).

Of course I'll continue my work on the funprojects ('cause it's my hobby and not about money) and will continue to help the good people here.
    Voice Translator is published on the Marketplace
    Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/f09151c4-de81-44c5-b540-7830d5a5c192

I have request to all who sideloaded app: could you please reinstall it from marketplace, and rate it? Thanks a lot!
    New version with slight UI and performance improvements added. Thanks singularity0821 for comments and suggestions!
    New version with slight UI and performance improvements added. Thanks singularity0821 for comments and suggestions!

improvements are seen :)