[Q] [DEV][Firefox OS|B2G] - need help and review from senior android rom developper

Search This thread

nka11

Oct 4, 2012
Hi,

I'm a noob, so i'm not allowed to post in developpement forum even if believe it's the correct place for this post.

I'm following the B2G porting guide for a Galaxy s3 device. (wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Porting)

I'm starting from the samsung rom (XXBLH3) rooted.

Here are my files :
device profile : github.com/nka11/android-device-galaxys3
B2G fork for config/build files : github.com/nka11/B2G
and you will find here some notes taken during build : gist.github.com/3826507

Right now, the system.img (file available, see gist ) builds successfully and i modified the rooted boot.img to include init.b2g.rc.
I'm flashing with heimdall successfully but it fails booting (device hangs showing Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, first screen).

As i'm a noob (can't make link nor post in good places), i'm stalled here, i don't know what i can do to figure out why it don't work.

So i'm looking for an experienced rom builder on gs3 (or a firefox os expert) to review the profile, and would like to learn some tricks which may help me to debug on my own.

Hope someone can help

Regards

nka11

Oct 4, 2012
still stalled

Hello,

Thanks for the silence.
I'm stalled, so changing my strategy and using the CM9.1 ROM as codebase.

I'll keey forum in touch anyway.

Reactions: Nikhil'Da Devil

nka11

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for the silence.

Thats not the way a forum works and with that attitude you may find many developers not bothering to reply .

jje

Sorry, i was deep in dev and quite impatient. Just like many people here, I spend my spare time on this, so i can understand you felt insulted.
Anyway, I have a bugfix for heimdall 1.4, userdata image partition flash is now supported for GT-I9300 : github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/pull/56 . It may be useful for some people here.

nka11

Oct 4, 2012
News about porting

With CM9.1 rom :

Build successful but boot stalled at Samsung splash screen.

adb daemon active, so i can shell into the device.
After parsing dmesg, no error message found.

Going for further investigation.

I can give latest rom images on request.

Best regards

nka11

Oct 4, 2012
a new attempt

Here are the extracts from dmesg i can suspect.

around line 263 :
<3>[ 2.222980] c1 init: could not import file /system/etc/init.local.rc
<4>[ 2.225921] c1 init (1): /proc/1/oom_adj is deprecated, please use /proc/1/oom_score_adj instead.
<3>[ 2.409017] c1 init: cannot open '/initlogo.rle'

but as the kernel startup goes further, i don't know if i can suspect one of those lines. I've just commented
reference to init.local.rc in init.rc as it contains only CM specific service loading. Let's see later if we'll need
it with Firefox OS.
Later i can find these lines

<3>[ 2.643364] c2 init: cannot find '/system/bin/dmbserver', disabling 'dmb'
<3>[ 2.643446] c2 init: cannot find '/system/bin/bintvoutservice', disabling 'TvoutService_C'

but after checking in the CM9.1 backup, it appears that these files are not present in the rom.
it seems to reference proprietary binaries. I've checked in the samsung rom and found bintvoutservice but no dmbserver.
I've found the reference to these files in the init.smdk4x12.rc, so I commented the lines out for 'dmb'.

As above, it doesn't block the boot process.

I haven't noticed anything else, but something bothered me...
init.smdk4x12.rc isn't referenced in init.rc, however, init.rc content doesn't seems to be interpreted. So I moved
the import init.b2g.rc and chmod instructions to init.smdk4x12.rc.
Rebuilded the updated rom files for a new attempt.

Comportement changed : when i boot, the samsung splash screen disappears but the screen remains black and I have no access to adb...

Hard buttons seems to react as they light on when i touch them, but nothing else seems to work.

Where else could i watch ? Can someone explain (or reference a thread) init.rc/init.smdk4x12.rc on GT-I9300 ?

IRPnet

Jan 27, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11
Here are the extracts from dmesg i can suspect.

around line 263 :
<3>[ 2.222980] c1 init: could not import file /system/etc/init.local.rc
<4>[ 2.225921] c1 init (1): /proc/1/oom_adj is deprecated, please use /proc/1/oom_score_adj instead.
<3>[ 2.409017] c1 init: cannot open '/initlogo.rle'

but as the kernel startup goes further, i don't know if i can suspect one of those lines. I've just commented
reference to init.local.rc in init.rc as it contains only CM specific service loading. Let's see later if we'll need
it with Firefox OS.
Later i can find these lines

<3>[ 2.643364] c2 init: cannot find '/system/bin/dmbserver', disabling 'dmb'
<3>[ 2.643446] c2 init: cannot find '/system/bin/bintvoutservice', disabling 'TvoutService_C'

but after checking in the CM9.1 backup, it appears that these files are not present in the rom.
it seems to reference proprietary binaries. I've checked in the samsung rom and found bintvoutservice but no dmbserver.
I've found the reference to these files in the init.smdk4x12.rc, so I commented the lines out for 'dmb'.

As above, it doesn't block the boot process.

I haven't noticed anything else, but something bothered me...
init.smdk4x12.rc isn't referenced in init.rc, however, init.rc content doesn't seems to be interpreted. So I moved
the import init.b2g.rc and chmod instructions to init.smdk4x12.rc.
Rebuilded the updated rom files for a new attempt.

Comportement changed : when i boot, the samsung splash screen disappears but the screen remains black and I have no access to adb...

Hard buttons seems to react as they light on when i touch them, but nothing else seems to work.

Where else could i watch ? Can someone explain (or reference a thread) init.rc/init.smdk4x12.rc on GT-I9300 ?

I don't pretend to be a developer for one minute, but my understanding is that as far as those last two errors go, they are unsupported in CM because the code is propriety.
Sorry I can't help further - this does sound like an interesting thread - I only hope someone can give you some assistance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I'm a noob, so i'm not allowed to post in developpement forum even if believe it's the correct place for this post.

I'm following the B2G porting guide for a Galaxy s3 device. (wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Porting)

I'm starting from the samsung rom (XXBLH3) rooted.

Here are my files :
    device profile : github.com/nka11/android-device-galaxys3
    B2G fork for config/build files : github.com/nka11/B2G
    and you will find here some notes taken during build : gist.github.com/3826507

Right now, the system.img (file available, see gist ) builds successfully and i modified the rooted boot.img to include init.b2g.rc.
    I'm flashing with heimdall successfully but it fails booting (device hangs showing Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, first screen).

As i'm a noob (can't make link nor post in good places), i'm stalled here, i don't know what i can do to figure out why it don't work.

So i'm looking for an experienced rom builder on gs3 (or a firefox os expert) to review the profile, and would like to learn some tricks which may help me to debug on my own.

Hope someone can help

Regards
    still stalled

Hello,

Thanks for the silence.
    I'm stalled, so changing my strategy and using the CM9.1 ROM as codebase.

I'll keey forum in touch anyway.
    Still recruiting? I know someone who can help

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9305 LTE using XDA Premium HD